HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:11 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Nova Scotia's 5-year highway plan

Here's the link to Nova Scotia's 5-year plan. I haven't had a chance to browse through it yet.
http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/highways/5...an_2011-12.pdf

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 7:27 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
Nova Scotia's 5 Year Highway Plan
Highlights from the Plan:

2011-2012:
Pictou County: Highway 104; Twinning 1 km east of Pine Tree Road to 500 m east of Route 245 (Multiple Year Project)
Cape Breton: Highway 125; Twinning Sydney River (Kings Road) to Grand Lake Road (Multiple Year Project)

2012-2013:
Queens County: Highway 103; Port Mouton & Port Joli Bypass Broad River to Port Joli (Multiple Year Project)

2013-2014:
Halifax: Highway 107; Burnside to Bedford Phase 1

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
Highlights from the Plan:

2011-2012:
Pictou County: Highway 104; Twinning 1 km east of Pine Tree Road to 500 m east of Route 245 (Multiple Year Project)
Cape Breton: Highway 125; Twinning Sydney River (Kings Road) to Grand Lake Road (Multiple Year Project)

2012-2013:
Queens County: Highway 103; Port Mouton & Port Joli Bypass Broad River to Port Joli (Multiple Year Project)

2013-2014:
Halifax: Highway 107; Burnside to Bedford Phase 1
also in there is the 104 bypass for Antigonish.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 6:57 PM
ハルウララ

N.B. road tenders coming in under budget
Transportation minister plans to put savings into new road projects

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 4:31 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

A few videos

So my computer died as I was editing pictures before uploading (first time for everything). So here's an attempt to post some highway videos I took while home using the iPad I got my wife for her birthday. Here goes...

Sorry for the bluriness in some of the videos. And I selected the tunes at random, so if you don't like them just hit mute (one of the videos was flagged for a song on the radio, so rather than risk it being taken down, I just selected the YouTube tunes instead).

All videos by myself taken by propping the camera under the passenger headrest and remotely starting and stopping recording. These were all taken on a Tuesday evening.

South side of Cape Smokey on the Cabot Trail. Taken around 5pm.
Video Link

Kelly's Mountain hairpin on the TCH (sorry for the bluriness, the camera autofocused on something it shouldn't have) Taken around 6pm
Video Link

Highway 125 twinning section from Sydney River to Grand Lake Rd. Taken around 7pm.
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 11:38 PM

Been awhile since I've posted anything as I have become more of a lurker... Anyways, the first phase of the Antigonish bypass is paved and set to open either this week or the next.

Construction on phase two began last week.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 12:02 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The forums die if everyone stays a lurker.....

Welcome back!!!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 12:28 AM

True enough haha

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 3:42 PM

Antigonish Bypass Phase 1 is now open!

Here is a shaky video someone took: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7-6-BVuZbc

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 1:03 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I drove down to Washington DC and back this week. I just got back an hour ago.

This was the first time in a couple of years that I drove to the border on NB route 1. The entire section from the new border crossing north of St Stephen through to St George is now open and all I can say is "holy crap".

This has to be the most impressively engineered highway in the entire region! It appears as if the remaining section from Lepreau to St George will be open next year.

It will certainly be a surprise to American tourists arriving in Canada after a 90 minute trek on the Airline Route to suddenly be confronted with a superhighway in what they would consider "the middle of nowhere".

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I drove down to Washington DC and back this week. I just got back an hour ago.

This was the first time in a couple of years that I drove to the border on NB route 1. The entire section from the new border crossing north of St Stephen through to St George is now open and all I can say is "holy crap".

This has to be the most impressively engineered highway in the entire region! It appears as if the remaining section from Lepreau to St George will be open next year.

It will certainly be a surprise to American tourists arriving in Canada after a 90 minute trek on the Airline Route to suddenly be confronted with a superhighway in what they would consider "the middle of nowhere".
As somebody who regularly travels between Saint John and St. Stephen, my prayers have been answered with the new highway... MUCH needed - the previous drive with severe lack of passing lanes was brutal.

Last I was there, the section near Prince of Wales/Musquash was ripped to shreds as well and being reconstructed

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 5:50 PM

Seeing MonctonRad's post compelled me to finally stop lurking after more than a year and finally post on the forum haha

Being from St.Stephen and now living in Saint John I make frequent road trips up and back and I am amazed everytime I make the trip. It seems as though they've added someting or opened up a new lane each time I go. I'm extremely impressed with the progress they've made seeing as I heard from many people that it wouldn't be this far along already. It's already made my trips much more pleasant.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 7:02 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathar_2 View Post
Seeing MonctonRad's post compelled me to finally stop lurking after more than a year and finally post on the forum haha

Being from St.Stephen and now living in Saint John I make frequent road trips up and back and I am amazed everytime I make the trip. It seems as though they've added someting or opened up a new lane each time I go. I'm extremely impressed with the progress they've made seeing as I heard from many people that it wouldn't be this far along already. It's already made my trips much more pleasant.
Welcome to the forums! I know that MonctonRad said in a recent thread that if everybody lurks the forums die

Route 1 between St. Stephen and Saint John is really nice with the twinning. It will be really great when it's finished. I think it cuts the drive down by about 15 minutes down to 45 minutes or so, which is great!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Morning rush hour on Pitts Memorial Drive early this morning:

Morning Rush Hour in St. John's by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

It's one of the main highways linking St. John's and its suburbs, and the only one that remains uninterrupted by traffic lights with a 100 km/hr speed limit all the way to downtown. You don't have to hit the breaks until you merge onto Water Street right in the middle of our little cluster of taller buildings.

It runs along the southwest edge of St. John's and Mount Pearl, crosses under the Trans Canada Highway, and then turns into the Conception Bay South Bypass.

The switchback road you see below and to the right of Pitts Memorial Drive in the photo above is the Cape Spear Trail. It links St. John's to the Cape Spear National Historic Site and is one of the most scenic routes in the city.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Morning rush hour on Pitts Memorial Drive early this morning:

Morning Rush Hour in St. John's by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

It's one of the main highways linking St. John's and its suburbs, and the only one that remains uninterrupted by traffic lights with a 100 km/hr speed limit all the way to downtown. You don't have to hit the breaks until you merge onto Water Street right in the middle of our little cluster of taller buildings.

It runs along the southwest edge of St. John's and Mount Pearl, crosses under the Trans Canada Highway, and then turns into the Conception Bay South Bypass.

The switchback road you see below and to the right of Pitts Memorial Drive in the photo above is the Cape Spear Trail. It links St. John's to the Cape Spear National Historic Site and is one of the most scenic routes in the city.
Pitts Memorial Highway is also the only highway in the St. John's area with street lights which is ridiculous. People wonder how moose-vehicle collisions can be avoided, investing in "moose radars" is a waste of money. Lights on the outer ring road would decrease moose-vehicle collisions ALOT.

Lights should be put from the dump to paddys pond and along the new gushue highway.

Sorry for you non-Newfoundlanders who don't know what I'm talking about!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 8:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I never consciously realized that but you're right. As soon as you're outside the city, none of the other highyways have traffic lights. Even that stretch of Kenmount Road from St. John's to Paradise is pitch black at night, and that's only a 1-minute drive.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 8:43 PM

I know! How much good are unfunctioning moose radars going to do on a foggy dark night. None. Driving on the outer ring road, gushue highway, and that stretch of kenmount road in the middle of the city feels like you're in the middle of nowhere!

For years people have been talking about accidents on the outer ring road and what could be done to reduce that number. Lights! I've thought it for years, yet I have not heard one person publicly mention it, not one! It seems like the obvious answer to me.

The outer ring road does have lights in a small stretch between logo bay road and stevanger drive. I cannot think why they did not continue that to paddys pond. Most other sections of the road see much more traffic than the lighted section does.

I know it would be a lot of money, but isn't public safety and people's lives worth the cost? I think so, I just haven't heard anyone else come to that realization before.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 9:14 PM
ハルウララ

Highway Fun-Fact: Belgium is the only country in the world that has a fully-lit (IE streetlights) highway system.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
Highway Fun-Fact: Belgium is the only country in the world that has a fully-lit (IE streetlights) highway system.
Haha, That is probably pretty expensive. I don't expect all highways in Newfoundland to be lit, but the main highways in the largest city that see upwards of 100,000 cars per day should be lit for the safety of drivers

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 11:43 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Haha, That is probably pretty expensive.
Little bit.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...w-long-.375311

Quote:
The almost 100 per cent illumination of the country’s highways can indeed be seen from space with a telescopic lens, said a European Space Agency (ESA) spokesman in the German city of Cologne.
But down on earth, the mood is changing and Belgium soon may not shine so brightly.
Almost no other country on earth can currently afford such a luxury, and as energy-saving and cost-cutting measures bite, even Belgium is beginning to consider a switch-off. Another exception is its tiny but wealthy neighbour, Luxembourg, which too offers almost 100 per cent lighting on its 150 kilometres of highways.
Belgium currently each and every evening turns on 335,000 lights fitted to 150,000 lampposts on its motorways and main roads.
In the economically struggling southern French-speaking region of Wallonia, 750 kilometres of the 860-kilometre grid are lit up at night. In the wealthier Dutch-speaking north, Flanders, the roads are 100 per cent illuminated, according to transport ministries from both regions.
But officials are beginning to look at the cost.
Cash-strapped Wallonia last year paid out €9.5 million for 105 gigawatt-hours of electricity for road lighting – to produce that amount of electricity a standard nuclear reactor would need to run for about four days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces