HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 4:58 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
Have you been to the Disneyland Hotel? Yah, this is its brother up north.

I think CC has done a pretty good job lately of its remodeling and architecture of its new facilities. The new one in the Mission District is quite impressive, and they're building some really cool looking stuff up at their main campus. But, "Miss Hilton needs a view," and hopefully we're not dumb enough to fall for it this time.
I have actually, and it is what some people have called "fugly." However, was it not designed by William Pereira, the same architect who designed Transamerica?

If so, thats some serious irony

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 3:32 PM
BANNED

Balboa Park "Transit Village"

Quote:
Balboa BART plan on track for housing, retail
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen

As the idea of transit-oriented villages has taken root in the form of fresh condos and supermarkets at BART stops from Colma to Fruitvale, one station has been left waiting on the platform: San Francisco's Balboa Park BART.

Now city officials and neighbors around the beleaguered station are hoping that will change. The City's Planning Department has published a long-awaited draft environmental impact report that lays out a long-range plan to improve the neighborhood with 1,800 new housing units and 100,000 square feet of retail. The comment period on the EIR ends in November, and city planners are shooting for a Planning Commission vote before the end of the year.

While most of the development opportunity is a ways off, the Balboa plan EIR encompasses two real proposed projects. One is AvalonBay's 175-unit apartment development at 1150 Ocean Ave., the old Kragen Auto Parts site, which would include a 30,000-square-foot supermarket. The other is the so-called Phelan Loop, a Muni-owned parcel near the intersection of Ocean and Geneva avenues that is slated for 80 units of housing above retail. The Mayor's Office on Housing plans to take control of that parcel later this year and pick an affordable housing developer early next year.

But other developers are waiting in the wings. Builder Arthur Ng has acquired the 1600 block of Ocean, and plans to build about 40 condos above retail, according to land use consultant Tony Kim. The plan gives developers an extra five feet of height along Ocean which will allow for more attractive ground-floor retail spaces. Another developer has picked up a property at 65 Ocean, which now is leased to a day care facility. The project could accommodate 100 units.

Kim said the Balboa plan should spark retail and foot traffic along Ocean, and that all eyes are on AvalonBay's proposal.

"That is the only thing going right now -- I think everyone else is waiting until this thing is adopted," he said.

AvalonBay, which owns 47,445 apartments in 10 states and has a $4 billion pipeline, is also reportly looking at other development sites within the Balboa plan.

The Ocean Avenue project is a joint venture with Portland-based REIT PacTrust. The group has hired Pyatok Architects to design it.

Meg Spriggs, development director for AvalonBay, did not return a call for comment.

Area 'deserves enhancements'

Part of the Better Neighborhoods Plan adopted in 1999, the Balboa Park EIR was unfunded for several years. In addition to housing and retail, the plan calls for a new library, a museum, and new entrance into the Balboa Park BART station. The report is the first step for the 20-year blueprint that eventually would see:

- 500 units of housing on the site of a backup reservoir;
- 200 units on San Jose Avenue around the BART station;
- 200 units in Muni's "upper yard."

"This is the premier transit-oriented site in the city and fulfills the Bay Area movement to build high-density housing next to BART stops," said land use attorney Brett Gladstone.

Neighborhood activist Dan Weaver said the trick will be to figure out a way to accommodate both new development and Muni. Muni stores its trolleys next to the BART station -- the J, K, L, M, and N lines -- as well as the historic F street cars.

"How do we divide up the land between Muni storage needs and making it a neighborhood center?" said Weaver. "The fact that it's such an ugly and unsafe place is not really acceptable any more. It's the geographic center of the district and it's a no-man's land."

Lisa Pagan, Balboa project manager for the Mayor's Office of Workforce and Economic Development, said the Balboa area "really deserves a lot of enhancements."

"It's not very comfortable walking down there now," she said.

jkdineen@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4971
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 11:43 PM

55 9th Street

"Case No. 2006.1248EKXCV: 55 9th Street, east side between Market and Mission Streets, Lot 063 in Assessor’s Block 3701: The project would construct a new 204’-10”-tall (including mechanical penthouse), 17-story mixed-use building containing 260 dwelling units, approximately 2,999 square feet of commercial space, and a garage (accessed via a new curb cut at 9th Street) with a capacity of up to 113 independently accessible parking spaces (98 residential spaces and 15 commercial spaces), one full-size loading space, and two service-vehicle spaces on two below-grade levels and a partial level at-grade."

Newspaper Notice for San Francisco Planning Department for October 5 and 6, 2007.
http://sfgov.org/site/planning_index.asp?id=25756

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 10:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
HAHAHA good luck getting this built if "Prop M for Housing" passes.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 2:50 AM

Taken by me 10/7

Looks like the California Academy of Sciences is coming along:

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 3:28 PM

Quote:
HAHAHA good luck getting this built if "Prop M for Housing" passes.
Well, lets hope that those of us who share the desire to improve the city will outnumber those NIMBYs, who have controlled city politics too long. This should be a good litmus test. If Daly's re-election has taught us anything, it is that we cannot underestimate the forces of the NIMBYs and we have to campaign against Prop M for housing as vehemently as they advocate for its passage.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 5:55 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Nice shot, CityKid. How did you like the new DeYoung?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 4:57 AM
Sonoma Strong

construction update

i took some shit photos today of some of the soma projects. sorry for the poor quality, theyre all taken from a cellphone (by me).

just be happy that a lazy ass like me is even going through the trouble of posting said shit photos

heres a highlight, one photo per building
for more photos, see the appropriate thread in "highrise construction"

one rincon

the infinity - the second tower is moving right along

631 folsom - glass arrives

555 mission (w/ 301 mission in the background)

301 mission

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 5:09 AM
Sonoma Strong

^ btw, thats an awesome shot of the new academy of sciences

looks like its getting close to done

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 5:23 AM
Pacific Wonderland

I have seen many cellphone images, but in this case, wow, what did you do? slather your lens with vaseline? It is actually sort of a cool effect, but there is absolutely no detail in those images.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 5:26 AM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
I have seen many cellphone images, but in this case, wow, what did you do? slather your lens with vaseline? It is actually sort of a cool effect, but there is absolutely no detail in those images.
bah, i know theyre bad. i dont know whats wrong. but hey! it was cool for me in person!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 5:53 AM

^^^ Thanks guys. I still haven't had a chance to actually see any exhibits. I was walking by with friends and thought it would be cool to see the city from the observation tower on such a nice day. It turned out I could also see the Blue Angels performance. It was a great decision, but I will have to go back for a proper visit to the museum's collection.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 4:03 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks, northbay. I appreciate the effort. Besides, they have an interesting dreamlike quality about them.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 4:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
Well, lets hope that those of us who share the desire to improve the city will outnumber those NIMBYs, who have controlled city politics too long. This should be a good litmus test. If Daly's re-election has taught us anything, it is that we cannot underestimate the forces of the NIMBYs and we have to campaign against Prop M for housing as vehemently as they advocate for its passage.
Daly BARELY won the last election, which I think is a sign that more and more people are frustrated with his stall mate mode of politics. If the election were held today, I'd bet money he wouldn't be welcomed back by the voters.

The problem is that all of the residents of these new units and high rises in SOMA haven't moved in yet and thus have no voting power. Once they move in, of course they're not going to want some advocate for homeless defecation allowing their streets and neighborhood to be taken over by the militant bums.

I think a more suitable district of Daly's politics is Visitacion Valley. Small, quaint, hidden, behind the curtain, and poor. His problem is that he completely marginalizes and destroys the middle class of the city because he believes only the impoverished deserve help and shelter and social services, and that the middle class should fork out more in taxes to pay for all of this.

What we need is some REPUBLICANS (yes, I said it, republicans) in city hall to balance everything out! When one party has complete dominance in politics, they overspend without being put in check, which ruins our credit and puts us into further debt.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Daly BARELY won the last election, which I think is a sign that more and more people are frustrated with his stall mate mode of politics. If the election were held today, I'd bet money he wouldn't be welcomed back by the voters.

The problem is that all of the residents of these new units and high rises in SOMA haven't moved in yet and thus have no voting power. Once they move in, of course they're not going to want some advocate for homeless defecation allowing their streets and neighborhood to be taken over by the militant bums.

I think a more suitable district of Daly's politics is Visitacion Valley. Small, quaint, hidden, behind the curtain, and poor. His problem is that he completely marginalizes and destroys the middle class of the city because he believes only the impoverished deserve help and shelter and social services, and that the middle class should fork out more in taxes to pay for all of this.
I think you are doing exactly what Roadwarrior is warning about. I was just as surprised Daly won re-election as you would be if he won a third time. This last election he had decent and well-financed opposition. And his constitutency in the Tenderloin don't tend to vote in high percentages. But he still won which tells you there are an awful lot of people out there who care enough to vote and who like what Daly represents. My only comfort is that I can't see him having a future in elective politics. His reputation on the Board should make it impossible for him to win in any other constituency unless he moves to Berkeley or Santa Monica in which case, "good riddance."

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 3:58 AM

Hilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
It really has very little to do with Paris' tribe. The hotel has had the same local owners (Justice Investors) since the day it was built; it was actually leased to Holiday Inns, Inc. and now it's a franchised Hilton managed by the Dow Hotel Company of Seattle. Part of the deal for building the hotel was that it would house the Chinese Culture Center on the third floor, connected by a bridge to Portsmouth Square.
The cultural center was how the project was able to be part of a redevelopment wasn't it?

Sometimes when we are most frustrated with NIMBYS in SF remember that there would be other monstrosities all the way to North Beach if is wasn't for community activism. It is all about a balance of capitalism with the public's interests (which none of use can of course agree on)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 4:52 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco_Zig View Post
The cultural center was how the project was able to be part of a redevelopment wasn't it?

Sometimes when we are most frustrated with NIMBYS in SF remember that there would be other monstrosities all the way to North Beach if is wasn't for community activism. It is all about a balance of capitalism with the public's interests (which none of use can of course agree on)
I don't disagree with you Frisco, having been somewhat of a community activist or at least participating in events for years. I'm not totally anti-NIMBY, especially if I perceive that a project or whatever doesn't fit well where it is proposed. I'm a left-of-center moderate to liberal guy, not an ultra-progressive on most issues. Let's build wisely and well and make more dramatic statements, not just build to have the City full of new buildings of mediocre quality and/or appearance.

As for you Tyler, your lack of historical knowledge is becoming somewhat appalling (and I don't mean to be unkind with this statement). We used to have Republicans on the Board and in power here--that was when we had ugly, inappropriate buildings AND no civil rights. Wake up for God's sake! The last Republican mayor was George Christopher; he devastated San Francisco with "urban renewal" and personally saw to it that the Fox Theatre was demolished, among other things. He also supported a very repressive SFPD. Conservative supervisors John Barbagelata, Quentin Kopp and others drove us just as crazy as Chris Daly does today, perhaps more so.

I really feel that if people really can't appreciate this City for what it is and what it has stood for, they should have the courage to move elsewhere. That doesn't mean that I don't complain about it or want it to remain unchanged, but the culture here runs long and deep through many generations. Learn more about it. Please stop complaining about hippies and others about whom you know so very little. They made their contributions, both good and bad, to the City as did the Beatniks and many others. They were also the forerunners of the Gay Liberation movement which flowered here and led to the life that many of us enjoy today. Loosen up and enjoy it more! The City is looking better and better all the time.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 5:19 AM
Anti-NIMBY

Quote:
I don't disagree with you Frisco, having been somewhat of a community activist or at least participating in events for years. I'm not totally anti-NIMBY, especially if I perceive that a project or whatever doesn't fit well where it is proposed. I'm a left-of-center moderate to liberal guy, not an ultra-progressive on most issues. Let's build wisely and well and make more dramatic statements, not just build to have the City full of new buildings of mediocre quality and/or appearance.

As for you Tyler, your lack of historical knowledge is becoming somewhat appalling (and I don't mean to be unkind with this statement). We used to have Republicans on the Board and in power here--that was when we had ugly, inappropriate buildings AND no civil rights. Wake up for God's sake! The last Republican mayor was George Christopher; he devastated San Francisco with "urban renewal" and personally saw to it that the Fox Theatre was demolished, among other things. He also supported a very repressive SFPD. Conservative supervisors John Barbagelata, Quentin Kopp and others drove us just as crazy as Chris Daly does today, perhaps more so.

I really feel that if people really can't appreciate this City for what it is and what it has stood for, they should have the courage to move elsewhere. That doesn't mean that I don't complain about it or want it to remain unchanged, but the culture here runs long and deep through many generations. Learn more about it. Please stop complaining about hippies and others about whom you know so very little. They made their contributions, both good and bad, to the City as did the Beatniks and many others. They were also the forerunners of the Gay Liberation movement which flowered here and led to the life that many of us enjoy today. Loosen up and enjoy it more! The City is looking better and better all the time.
^^^ ^^^

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 7:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Conservative supervisors John Barbagelata, Quentin Kopp and others drove us just as crazy as Chris Daly does today, perhaps more so.
I haven't been around long enough to have had personal experience of Barbagelata but what I've read isn't positive. I kind of miss Quentin Kopp on the other hand. And was he actually a Republican? I remember him as more a conservative Democrat and the Board, of course, is non-partisan. It could just be that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" but I think the SF Board lacks a certain "diversity" of political opinion that a reasonably principled conservative like Kopp would bring. I mean, Ed Jew had a reputation for being the closest thing current SF politics has to a conservative and that hasn't turned out well--to paraphrase, I knew Quentin Kopp and he is certainly no Quentin Kopp. Some might point to Michela Alioto-Pier but I see her as mostly the Alioto dynasty's last pathetic gasp. But, then, there'll always be an Arthur Bruzzone.

Quote:
I really feel that if people really can't appreciate this City for what it is and what it has stood for, they should have the courage to move elsewhere.
You know, you may be right. I have essentially done that. The fondness I have for the town that comes out when I ogle some of her best architecture, past, present and future, and recall her finer historical moments including a few I experienced personally, still exists and so I can't completely cut the chord (all that and my love of Asian food). But the town's excessively and obsessively narcicistic "progressivism" does not wear well with me these days and so I have to get away for half the year--hence, my spending winters in Tucson where I now am. The Dalys, the Mirkirimis, the Sandovals, the Ammianos and even the Peskins have partly chased me out of town. But they have only 6 months to play until this cat returns.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 8:30 AM

Espirit Park Construction Pics!

For all the pictures, go to http://www.flickr.com/gp/13975171@N07/896v91
> 415.630.0204 mobile
www.climbSF.com / www.SFnewdevelopments.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations