HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrG View Post
All good points above. I would counter one thing with this: Many talented architects in Portland and every other city/market... move around, to and from both 'service' and 'design' firms. Happens all the time based on workload. The Hacker to Ankrom or Ankrom to Holst moves happen.

Years ago, I was at Bora and at the time... there were very sharp people there formerly from Richard Meier's Office, Pei Cobb Freed, Kohn Pedersen Fox and also IDC (now CH2M Hill), Ankrom Moisan and SRG.

The so called individual 'talent' doesn't disappear or appear when they switch firms, but the clients and their expectations are different.
you are absolutely correct. I certainly was painting with a broad brush. I think it is more correct (correcter?) to say that clients differ, but also the will of the managing folks at any particular firm. the higher design firms not only get the bigger fees that allow for exploration, but they also have senior leadership ready to fight for their designs. I've seen fabulous initial concepts from Ankrom, Mackenzie, and the like in Portland, but they never make it past the first client presentation or the first round of costing because leadership is terrified of offending or angering the owner.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 12:13 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
you are absolutely correct. I certainly was painting with a broad brush. I think it is more correct (correcter?) to say that clients differ, but also the will of the managing folks at any particular firm. the higher design firms not only get the bigger fees that allow for exploration, but they also have senior leadership ready to fight for their designs. I've seen fabulous initial concepts from Ankrom, Mackenzie, and the like in Portland, but they never make it past the first client presentation or the first round of costing because leadership is terrified of offending or angering the owner.
Well, Mackenzie in particular snagged a new design partner and has been evolving its design culture and client based to be more design centric.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Well, Mackenzie in particular snagged a new design partner and has been evolving its design culture and client based to be more design centric.
saw that. they also tried that in the nineties with Dick Spies. hope it is more effective this time around. I do know that current management is more interested in design than ever before so it will certainly help bringing in fresh blood.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 2:01 AM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference for the Old Fire Station Property at 510 NW 3rd Ave. I will be amazed, but pleasantly surprised, if they can make this work.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:06 AM
Semi-Lurker

Here is to hoping. It's a neat little building, would be great to see it restored to its original condition.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 5:23 PM

Great photo

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
University of Oregon kicks off the term in its new Old Town digs (Photos)

Rumor has it there could be a coffee shop moving into the retail space on the ground floor of 38 Davis, a new building in Old Town Chinatown that's home to the University of Oregon's Executive MBA and Masters of Sports Product Management programs.

"It's a rumor we hope is true," said Cadence Stephens, assistant director for the sports product management program. "It'd be nice to have one here."
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 8:17 PM

Request for Response for SW 3rd & Ash.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Old Town, new digs: visiting Ankrom Moisan's 38 Davis

The Old Town/Chinatown district is home to a wonderful collection of historic architecture, much of it from the cast-iron era of the late 19th and early 20th century. But over the past decade-plus it has seen very little new construction, especially from the ground up.

The 38 Davis building is thus a noticeable and noteworthy addition, especially given its location along Naito Parkway, facing Waterfront Park and the Willamette River. If Portland's skyline were a class picture, 38 Davis would be sitting in the front row. And it's nice to have an actual building here instead of a surface parking lot, which this site had been previously.

A building in this location has to receive approval from the Landmarks Commission, which may explain why 38 Davis possesses on the exterior a kind of quietly neo-historic style that seems to be trying more than anything else to fit in. It's dignified with a nice pedestrian feel, as well as an intimate alleyway between it and its neighbor, but overall aesthetically somewhat unremarkable — although often architecture like this ages well. Inside the design is more compelling.
...continues at Portland Architecture.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:12 PM

http://www.pamplinmedia.com/but/239-...-is-on-the-way

Moovel mooves: Tap and pay is on the way
The doorway that led to the strip club Magic Gardens is unrecognizable.

Where once men stood in the street wondering if the magic was real, now there are giant windows and security cameras. The building, which is across Fourth Avenue from the House of Louie restaurant, housed a tenement for Chinese laborers in the 19th Century. Then the upper floors stayed vacant for about 50 years, rotting in the dark. Now it has been seismically retrofit and had its beams sandblasted. With its atrium and glass conference rooms, its cereal dispensers and private meeting nooks, the second and third floors are fit for a tech company.

And the lucky new tenant is moovel (lower case m, please), the company that does the ticketing app for TriMet. All 116 staff are moved in to the 1889 Overland Warehouse (old timers know it as the Suey Sing building).
http://www.pamplinmedia.com/but/239-...-is-on-the-way

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:42 AM

Mason Ehrman Building Annex

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:44 AM

Overland Warehouse

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:46 AM

Grove Hotel

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:25 AM

A contemporary Japanese or Chinese restaurant would be fantastic for the Grove.

Quote:
Grove Hotel, which will likely have a Kurt Huffman restaurant, tops out in Old Town Chinatown (Photos)

It opened in 1907 as a low-income residential hotel at the corner of West Burnside and Northwest Fourth Avenue and later became housing for homeless folks exiting the jail system before it went vacant several years ago.

But there is new life now at the Grove Hotel as developer Bob Naito and his partners continue their $25 million push to revamp the old building and construct a new nine-story building right behind it. When it opens later this fall, possibly around Thanksgiving, the Grove Hotel will be home to 113 rooms, a bit of meeting space, a retail offering and a restaurant. The concept of the latter has yet to be determined, but Naito said he has been working with Kurt Huffman's ChefStable on lining up a chef.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 4:50 PM

This is an odd tactic...

Landlord wages public campaign to keep NW Natural in headquarters
By Ted Sickinger| The Oregonian/OregonLive
on March 21, 2017 at 5:00 AM, updated March 21, 2017 at 9:16 AM

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i..._campaign.html

Quote:
Northwest Natural Gas Co. is on the hunt for a new headquarters, prompting consternation and bewilderment from the landlord of its existing home in Portland's Old Town/Chinatown neighborhood.

Now that landlord, Palo Alto, California-based Menlo Equities, is taking a proactive and somewhat novel approach in the realm of tenant relations: trying to shame the utility company into staying put by appealing to its regulators, customers and shareholders.

They even hired a local lobbying firm, which launched a finger-wagging Facebook page and a website that is generating petition signatures for the Oregon Public Utility Commission.

Here's the pitch: "Instead of using our money wisely, NW Natural is planning to blow millions on a ritzy new office building in a 'better neighborhood.' And then stick ratepayers with the bill with a hefty rate hike. Shame on them."

The utility says that's nonsense, but wouldn't comment on the lease price it's negotiating...(continues)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 7:17 PM

Notice of a Public Hearing for SW 3rd & Ash.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Notice of a Public Hearing for SW 3rd & Ash.
I'm guessing the Landmarks Commission will like this one. It looks a bit old-timey.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 7:10 PM

Staff Report for SW 3rd & Ash, which does not yet recommend approval.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Staff Report for SW 3rd & Ash, which does not yet recommend approval.
Drawings [PDF - 55MB]

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 12:31 AM

Drawings [24MB] and Staff Report, which recommends approval, for 108 SW 3rd Ave. I'll be glad to see this site fill in. There are a lot of positive changes happening in that part of Old Town, and I think this will add to the momentum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland