HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 2:19 AM
Meh

Well this is a debate this forum has seen countless times, but spires and anything that are considered as decoration are counted. Basically, anything that was designed by the building's architect. Spires, statues and a few other decorative elements are counted, while things like antennae, lightning rods, air conditioning units, clocks, etc, are not counted. It's because that 2nd group of things aren't usually permanent and are strictly for utilitarian purposes. Those things can even be removed or modifed as needed by the building's owners. But things like spires and statues are typically never removed or altered accept for in cases like restoration or if it would cause structural issues for the building itself.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 2:21 AM

When is the groundbreaking?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
When is the groundbreaking?
June 1st was mentioned in an article posted somewhere in one of the threads.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 7:00 AM

I mean.... really it's just plain ol' common sense. Bragging rights.... schmagging rights.... height is height and I for one am with Kevin on this one. I don't care if it's just a lollipop sticking on top.... if it stands at 700' then it stands at 700'.

You can include other criteria if you want, but really, who's gonna care? It's still gonna look mighty impressive to see that building stand that tall in a very near proximity to I-35. I'm all happy for Austin and can't wait for it to go up.

That being said, your arms may not be an indicator of how tall you are, but they are an indicator of how long your wingspan is... they use that criteria in basketball all the time... so obviously it does matter!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well this is a debate this forum has seen countless times, but spires and anything that are considered as decoration are counted. Basically, anything that was designed by the building's architect. Spires, statues and a few other decorative elements are counted, while things like antennae, lightning rods, air conditioning units, clocks, etc, are not counted. It's because that 2nd group of things aren't usually permanent and are strictly for utilitarian purposes. Those things can even be removed or modifed as needed by the building's owners. But things like spires and statues are typically never removed or altered accept for in cases like restoration or if it would cause structural issues for the building itself.
Clocks aren't counted? Not that a clock normally is sitting on top of a building.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 3:18 AM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

For what it's worth, the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat classifies height under three different criteria:
  1. Height to Architectural Top
  2. Highest Occupied Floor
  3. Height to Tip
(source)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 2:25 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAlex View Post
Clocks aren't counted? Not that a clock normally is sitting on top of a building.
There was a building in Fort Worth, the Landmark Tower. It was hit by the 2000 tornado and was later demolished. That building had a revolving clock that was added to the roof years after it was built. The height was never included in the building's official height. It was 380 feet tall with 30 floors and the top of the clock was 420 feet. The clock was removed shortly after the building was hit by the tornado because it was structurally damaged in the storm. If you go to Youtube there are tons of videos of the building being demolished. It was the 2nd tallest building in Texas to be imploded.

Here is John R's (from the forum) website on the building. There are some photos of the clock being removed.
http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/landmark.htm

Clocks like the one that was on that building were usually added later and typically by the tenant like a bank.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 4:19 AM

Thanks for that. I understand why that wouldn't be counted. That was not really integrated into the building it was just kind of set on top like hvac equipment.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:56 AM

Haven't seen this posted yet

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 1:39 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestAustinite View Post
Found this online. Some interesting facts in it, but no surprises.

http://www.manchesterfinancialgroup....e_7%201311.pdf
10 characters.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 10:34 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Hey Kevin, is that the final height that you know of thats posted in the thread title? I was just wondering if anybody has heard any updated details because last I heard they were working on the final touches of the project so I am assuming there may be some things that we have not seen yet.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:01 AM
Meh

That's the latest height they told me. I'll ask again once they start construction. The media is still reporting "50-stories", but I was told it would have 47.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 1:03 PM

According to today's Statesmsn this will be the second Fairmont hotel in Texas. The other being in Dallas. It will also be 50 stories and 1000 rooms. Good news. This operator agreement should help secure funding.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
According to today's Statesmsn this will be the second Fairmont hotel in Texas. The other being in Dallas. It will also be 50 stories and 1000 rooms. Good news. This operator agreement should help secure funding.
Bring it on!

http://www.statesman.com/business/re...n-2382129.html

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 4:26 PM

from that render what direction is it facing? i always have a hard time telling.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 5:18 PM
~Hook'em~

It is looking east from the convention center.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 5:49 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
It's still planned. All the freaking out over the last few weeks was way way way too premature.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 6:07 PM
Member since 2001

Well, there is still the huge issue of obtaining construction financing (~$250-$275 million). Plus, they will have to inject some equity into the project prior to receiving any funds from an interim construction facility.

However, having FRHI Holdings Limited (dba Fairmont Hotels & Resorts brand) aboard as the manager/operator is a huge help.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It's still planned. All the freaking out over the last few weeks was way way way too premature.
austin skyscraper enthusiasts getting too freaking spoiled!

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 7:30 PM

This operator agreement will allow them to pre book room nights in advance. This is how JW secured financing. They booked ~20K room nights out in 2015/16. I never realized that was how comvention hotels primarily obtain financing. It the same as a condo developer pre selling 50% of the units.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin