HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 9:17 PM

A new fire station (the replacement for the one that will eventually be demolished to make way for the SFMOMA expansion) is now under construction on Folsom.

Also, the parking lot across the street has been fenced off to make way for the 900 Folsom project.

http://www.livesoma.com/2012/04/05/f...elopment-2012/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Does anyone have an update regarding 350 Bush and 500 Kearny, a former project with two completely separate buildings that were to be constructed simultaneously? 350 Bush would preserve large parts of the historic Mining Exchange building and 500 Kearny would expand St. Mary's Square park on its roof, both worthy objectives in addition to filling two long time ragged holes in the north Financial District.
No update here but where did you hear about this? Sounds very interesting.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 11:56 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
It is one of the projects in the beginning of this thread and almost came to be until the bottom fell out. Shorenstein owed the property behind their Russ Building, but sold it to another developer.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
Nothing new but just to refresh:

http://www.hellermanus.com/350_Bush_Street.html

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:00 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
A new fire station (the replacement for the one that will eventually be demolished to make way for the SFMOMA expansion) is now under construction on Folsom.

Also, the parking lot across the street has been fenced off to make way for the 900 Folsom project.

http://www.livesoma.com/2012/04/05/f...elopment-2012/
Nice find--thanks!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:50 PM
Only Mostly Dead

350 is another building that I hope might get off the ground with the high demand for office space right now. But I haven't read anything about it so far. And I had totally forgotten about the Kearny project. Do you recall where it was in the approval process? Is it fully entitled?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 4:36 PM

2121 Third is breaking ground soon:

Quote:
With the $80.4 million, 196-unit Potrero Launch set to open up this summer at 2235 Third St., another developer is about to start demolition to clear a site for a 105-apartment rental project a block away at 2121 Third St. Costa Mesa-based Mission Piers Development LLC is the developer.
The six-story building, designed by Sternberg Benjamin Architects, will cost $29.4 million to construct, according to the city permits. The developers bought the property for $6.9 million, according to the Old Republic Title Co.
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...nvestment.html

Source and more info: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2..._street_a.html

Last edited by 1977; Apr 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 6:27 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1tyguy View Post
For those of you who have yet to make it over to SocketSite, here is a rendering of 350 Mission:

I agree with you peanut--this one really needs to happen too.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 6:31 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Since we're in such a state of flux (to put it as kindly as possible) I thought I'd do a quick status update of some of the bigger current and planned projects here in the rundown thread. Please add/correct/edit as needed.

Transbay Tower - Hines deal approved; awaiting final approval of height zoning changes; I'm just hoping Hines doesn't back out with this economy.

301 Mission - tower and midrise exteriors basically complete; interiors and grounds under construction

One Rincon Hill phase 1 - tower complete; townhomes and landscaping approaching completion

One Rincon Hill phase 2 - on hold

555 Mission - complete; finishing plaza and interior

535 Mission - on hold; excavation complete; piles driven

350 Mission - expected to start in 2009; I'm dubious

The Californian (375 Fremont) - Fifield is trying to sell their development entitlements; basically dead for now

45 Lansing - hard to tell, but I wouldn't be surprised if it officially goes on hold in the near future

Infinity - tower 1 and townhomes complete; tower 2 exterior complete; courtyard nearing completion

631 Folsom - facade largely complete, interior, ground level and landscaping in progress

340-350 Fremont - Peebles is trying to sell their development entitlements; basically dead for now

10th and Market - checked today and the site hasn't been touched; last we heard it was supposed to start in the Fall; has anyone heard anything new?

350 Bush - was supposed to be delivered in 2009; entitled through 2010; nothing is happening onsite; I think it's on hold/dead, but no official statement to that effect

One Hawthorne - under construction; pouring underground levels; rebar up to about street level

Trinity - under construction; I checked today and they're working on level 12
Here's your own update from October 24, 2008 peanut; check out 350 Bush above. The 500 Kearney companion isn't mentioned much in this thread.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
2121 Third is breaking ground soon:
This is a really nice infill project. Getting rid of that fueling facility should help the adjacent buildings' property values.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 7:34 PM

A couple more pieces of good news:

First about Foundry Square III:

Quote:
Tishman Speyer says it will start construction in July on a 286,000 square foot building in San Francisco's hot South of Market, the first speculative ground-up office development to start in the city since 2007.
And 222 Second:

Quote:
In addition, Palmer said that the company plans to break ground early next year on an even bigger San Francisco bet -- a 27-story, 450,000 square foot tower at 222 Second St. The 222 Second St. building will be completed in the fall of 2014, Palmer said.
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ry-square.html

Last edited by 1977; Apr 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 11:49 PM
Surrounded by Nature

I think it will be gratifying to see Foundry Square completed in its entirety with the addition of the last building; all four corners of First and Howard will finally have the architects' great comprehensive design scheme as originally envisioned. This is one of the smaller projects that I've most wanted to see built (along with 350 & 535 Mission and 350 Bush/500 Kearney). 222 Second will also be a nice addition, but IMO, it lacks the cool design features and contributions of the above projects.

http://archrecord.construction.com/p...y/overview.asp

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 1:36 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

The rendering of 350 Mission is fantastic--I hope the building looks that good!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 4:39 AM

No new information, but Bloomberg has a statement from Tishman Speyer on Foundry III:

Tishman Plans San Francisco Offices as Tech Demand Surges
By Dan Levy - Apr 6, 2012 9:01 PM PT

Quote:
Tishman Speyer Properties LP plans to build a San Francisco office building without having a signed tenant, the city’s first speculative project since 2006, as demand for space surges amid growth at technology companies.

Tishman bought a parcel known as Foundry Square III in the South of Market district and will “move ahead immediately” with development, Jerry Speyer and Rob Speyer, co-chief executive officers of the New York-based firm, said in a statement. Tishman paid $37 million in cash for the land and $4 million for architectural drawings, and won’t need a loan to finance construction, said a person familiar with the plans who asked not to be named because the terms of the deal are private.

“Office-space demand and rent growth have been extremely strong in San Francisco,” the Speyers said in the statement to Bloomberg News. “In a very supply-constrained market, this creates an extraordinary opportunity for a developer with a prime site and the ability to build without delay.”
The story also reiterates that 222 Second St. may be ready for construction in Q1 2013.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:25 PM

Not sure if this is a scoop, but...

Two permits were issued on March 20 for 1600 Market. One is to demolish the existing building, and the other is to erect a new 24-unit apartment building. Of course, just having the permits doesn't mean construction is imminent, but at least there appears to be some life for this site.

According to this PDF, the plan is to construct 24 BMR units with 3770 sq. feet of ground floor retail:

Here's a story from several years ago with an old rendering (for a taller building).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:38 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Good--1600 Market has been empty most of the last several years--it was a failed restaurant, sat empty, then it was a failed furniture store, then sat empty, and at some point I'm pretty sure it was a restaurant yet again which, of course, failed. Tear it down and build it up!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I agree with you peanut--this one really needs to happen too.
This rendering is horribly out of proportion- look how fat50 Fremont looks!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:55 AM

I just have a hunch that 1600 market will start sooner rather than later. The first on-site posting of the permit applications was last september, when it was still an Ed Lee campaign office. No news, and then the permits you referenced were posted in the windows (deadline to appeal was last friday). No clue if any appeals were filed, however. I live really close to the site, so I keep an eye out for any signs of pending demolition.

Also, per the folks at the pastry cupboard next door, the parking lot on page, just behind 1600 market, is similarly scheduled to be turned into condos. No info re: timeline on that project however.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
Also, per the folks at the pastry cupboard next door, the parking lot on page, just behind 1600 market, is similarly scheduled to be turned into condos. No info re: timeline on that project however.
Yeah, SocketSite has a rendering of One Franklin from 2010. It looks like that one's in limbo though.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:43 AM

i hope that gets built. the area is really close to extending hayes valley all the way down to market st, which would be a boon for the market/van ness area.

i've noticed that in the last couple weeks zipcar (which has cars in that 1 franklin lot, as well as the market x 12th lot) has parked 5-6 cars in a hidden lot off of colton x colusa. I've seen no evidence that those cars are available for rental though. my hope is that they are just planning ahead for losing the spots in either of the 2 lots that they currently occupy in the neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations