HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 11:06 PM

Actually I meant whether the mall stores at the north end are doing well - That' basically what I thought wrt the stores next to Holt Renfrew.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 11:34 PM

holt renfrew is much busier than it ever was in its old location - the mens level well is usually quite busy when i have wondered about - the mall part is dead though and smells of popcorn

fyi - holt renfrew has its "gift" section and they carry the skyscraper lego sets! for $40 or so

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 1:37 AM

New colour renders of the Expansion -
Hmmm - wish they had stuck with the pixelated look of the other part. Looks like 80s gift wrapping paper.

http://www.aberdeencentre.com/en/canadaline.php

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 5:04 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ oh my, it does. Why can't they just stay with the old design or at least integrate the station so people can connect to the mall at the platform level.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 9:37 AM

There's still a bridge and a passage through the condo building to the existing mall.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
New colour renders of the Expansion -
Hmmm - wish they had stuck with the pixelated look of the other part. Looks like 80s gift wrapping paper.

http://www.aberdeencentre.com/en/canadaline.php
Huh. That rendering looks interesting. When do they start construction, or have they already started on this project? Sorry for my ignorance on this. Haven't been keeping up lately.

Quite frankly, I like the original design. More colors, and it looked more appealing than this one. But this rendering looks alright. Hope it brings more pedestrian activity along the street(s). That's always nice to see at night, so the city doesn't look like it's dead.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 9:15 PM
supersonic

You're right, they must start this project
soon!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 12:09 AM

The "Aberdeen Square" project has apparently been launched. Advertising has begun in a few Chinese-language press.

A new website (but not much to see)
http://www.aberdeensquare.com/welcome.html

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 2:20 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I think Bing Thom is the best local architect and I love everything he does.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 4:25 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

So this portion of expansion is called "Aberdeen Square" in Aberdeen Centre. Will the Canada Line station add a secondary exit to connect to the new mall on the second floor?

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 4:31 AM

While this design is ok, I hate it so much when compared to what was proposed before. This does nothing to interact with the skytrain guideway, which was one of the major selling points of this project to begin with. Also, other renders showed possible interesting lighting effects, wrapped images, and / or a possible LED screen......now nothing.

It looks like a suburban office park complex.

Not even a sign on the side or front. (You would think a commercial complex such as a large shopping centre would want to advertise to the metro cruising past it every few minutes.)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 4:50 AM

^ The current design is nothing to be excited for. Maybe wait until May 15 (which you can see "3D" model of the extension in the Aberdeen Centre central atrium) for another judgment.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 5:00 AM

will this be connected to aberdeen mall? i understand that it's suppose to??but there is a parking lot in between

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 5:16 AM

I give the architect credit for finally not using farraris and bentlys in the rendering!

The design is somewhat bland, but with the right materials it could turn out just fine.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
will this be connected to aberdeen mall? i understand that it's suppose to??but there is a parking lot in between
There is a corridor reserved to connect them. You can see it on the 2nd floor along Cambie as you walk from the SkyTrain station to the mall entrance. So they will be connected on the 2nd floor where Aberdeen Mall has that roundabout of little shops.

My hope is that they will somehow add another connection at the south end, perhaps by cannibalizing a few rows of parking spots in the parkade. Probably a pipe dream...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 4:45 PM

i don't think it will connect to the canada line platform as it would only do so to one of them and that would be a waste

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i don't think it will connect to the canada line platform as it would only do so to one of them and that would be a waste
Two of the retail levels will connect directly to the Aberdeen Station platform (via walkways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
While this design is ok, I hate it so much when compared to what was proposed before. This does nothing to interact with the skytrain guideway, which was one of the major selling points of this project to begin with. Also, other renders showed possible interesting lighting effects, wrapped images, and / or a possible LED screen......now nothing.

It looks like a suburban office park complex.

Not even a sign on the side or front. (You would think a commercial complex such as a large shopping centre would want to advertise to the metro cruising past it every few minutes.)
I think you'll be happy with the project in terms of signage and interaction on the Aberdeen Station side depicted in that rendering. Not only will there be lighting effects, but the retail facing No.3 will be visible through the glass with signage. Assuming it is actually busy in there, you'll be able to see people shopping along that side...should look really cool at night.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 5:08 PM

but there is track in the middle of the two platforms so it can only connect to the north bound which would be a big waste

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
There is a corridor reserved to connect them. You can see it on the 2nd floor along Cambie as you walk from the SkyTrain station to the mall entrance. So they will be connected on the 2nd floor where Aberdeen Mall has that roundabout of little shops.

My hope is that they will somehow add another connection at the south end, perhaps by cannibalizing a few rows of parking spots in the parkade. Probably a pipe dream...
I haven't been to Aberdeen for a while, but I believe there is a multi-storied parking garage between the current Aberdeen mall and the proposed site. If they were to connect it would have to go through the parking garage, no?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 6:26 PM

i think there may be a connection along the northern edge (spanning east-west) of the complex below the condo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley