HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
A loud segment of the community protested, thinking that by doing so, they would prevent all development of the site. Onni responded by proceeding with the original development permit, which did not require any further approvals. So the complainers lost their views anyway, and didn't get the parkspace they wanted, and also didn't get any useful kind of commercial space in the area. In my opinion, it was a big time miscalculation by some pompous residents.
Ohh this is a new revelation for me. Is that why Omni stuck on with the "marine industry" theme for the commercial space and proceeded to build even thorough they knew there would be no takers? Dumb residents. I hope those spaces would stay empty forever. Onni can use them for storage, etc.

Last edited by Vin; Nov 2, 2015 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 12:05 AM

The situation around Imperial Landing in Steveston was discussed in length a month ago in here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...99#post7183899

It would be interesting if another developer would put up a space for a grocery store before Onni backs up in their dispute, leaving them empty-handed.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 6:41 AM

You mean the Rod's Building Supply site, where a proposal has been made to include, among other things, a 15,000 sf grocery store?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 6:09 PM

The Rod's Lumber site has been cleared, but I was surprised to see the full block site will yield only 32 homes! The website says townhouses from 1,200 to 2,500 square feet, so probably expensive.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 5:04 PM

A couple developments from th last time I was in Steveston. The rezoning intriques me as it is waterfront, but there is no dyke/seawall running behind Bayview St. Would this be one of the few developments in metro that has units literally right on the water?

[IMG]Bayview1 by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Bayview2 by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]

This was nearing completion on Chatham St. It looks like Steveston has locked itself into a historicist mode for new development. Understandable for tourism I guess. They'e done a nice job giving the illusion of separate structures.

[IMG]Chatham by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Ohh this is a new revelation for me. Is that why Omni stuck on with the "marine industry" theme for the commercial space and proceeded to build even thorough they knew there would be no takers? Dumb residents. I hope those spaces would stay empty forever. Onni can use them for storage, etc.
Does Onni have signage over those empty storefronts explaining the situation? As a developer/landlord, wouldn't it be in their interest to get the public on their side? Even though they're technically wrong, no one in the neighbourhood is going to prefer empty storefronts over "non-maritime" retail.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Does Onni have signage over those empty storefronts explaining the situation? As a developer/landlord, wouldn't it be in their interest to get the public on their side?
No they are holding their breath/threatening to turn blue unless city hall does it their way-of course that tells us all we need to know about that developer.
Quote:
Even though they're technically wrong, no one in the neighbourhood is going to prefer empty storefronts over "non-maritime" retail.
A bold assertion and in any case the inmates don't run the asylum.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 3:13 AM

I don't get it. So they are only allowed to lease out the space to marine based businesses? But when I was down there I noticed at least one building had been turned into storage units and are being rented out. Looked awful. So the city allows that but not letting them lease it out to other businesses?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 3:41 AM

they are storing anchors and lifejackets lol. Its dumb. The marine industry isn't exactly a bustlin one these days.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they are storing anchors and lifejackets lol. Its dumb. The marine industry isn't exactly a bustlin one these days.
Lol.

Yes it's beyond stupid! I get that onni agreed to this. But it ain't happening and the city needs to get over it. The city sticking to this marine only business is hurting the community.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 4:07 AM

Isn't Onni building the properties knowing they would have immense difficulty leasing the units hurting the community? Expecting the City to give up would set a bad precedent.

I wonder if this happened in Vancouver, would Onni be hit with the Empty Homes Tax or is that for only residential properties?

That said, that boardwalk has really been hampered by all of those empty storefronts. I used to love walking along there.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 5:38 AM

the city cant just "get over it" or give up. that would set a terrible precedent and once you start that ball rolling, good luck stopping it. developers will line up knowing the city has no back bone and can be pushed around. starts with marine only businesses, but where would it end?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
the city cant just "get over it" or give up. that would set a terrible precedent and once you start that ball rolling, good luck stopping it. developers will line up knowing the city has no back bone and can be pushed around. starts with marine only businesses, but where would it end?
Yes of course they can. It was a stupid requirement to begin with.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 1:19 PM

If it was a stupid requirement, why did Onni accept it?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 2:28 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Think there are numerous other examples of Onni behaviour being questionable. Good on the city of Richmond sticking to their guns, wish other cities would do the same.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Does Onni have signage over those empty storefronts explaining the situation? As a developer/landlord, wouldn't it be in their interest to get the public on their side? Even though they're technically wrong, no one in the neighbourhood is going to prefer empty storefronts over "non-maritime" retail.
I believe they held public info sessions. As to the neighbours, I've heard it's unlikely many are that sympathetic to ONNI.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Yes of course they can. It was a stupid requirement to begin with.
Are you seriously going to argue that? Would you want the owner of the Rogers Mansion on Davie just knocking it down overnight because they wanted to be free of the heritage building restrictions?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Think there are numerous other examples of Onni behaviour being questionable. Good on the city of Richmond sticking to their guns, wish other cities would do the same.
I agree but then I think, how is this benefitting the community. What if Richmond charged onni a penalty for failing to uphold this part of the agreement and move on? After a decade of this nonsense it's time to move on.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
This was nearing completion on Chatham St. It looks like Steveston has locked itself into a historicist mode for new development. Understandable for tourism I guess. They'e done a nice job giving the illusion of separate structures.

[IMG]Chatham by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]
Can you please provide information on this development: developer/building name/website? Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 2:57 PM

Onni is a joke and are run by trash. Total scumbags. I have the misfortune of having a family member that bought into one of their new Richmond condos some time ago. A total sh*t build.

Richmond city hall forcing any incoming units to be maritime only is ridiculous and has obviously been a total waste of money and time for both sides. Now they can't give in because of their arrogance.

Everyone looks stupid here and we can all see that every time we walk past those empty units.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley