HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 9:54 PM
ON3P Skis

You can't see from my second shot of the model (my bad) but there is a parkade entrance there. The ramp is on the far west side of the property. P1 is essentially at grade on the south and west parts of the site (because of the east-west and north-south slopes), with a full P2 underneath. The parkade is actually designed quite well, there is only one long ramp from the back of the site through to P2 (12.5% grade), with a flatter (4%) section in the middle providing access to P1 which will be split half commercial (on the south side) and half residential (north side). The commercial side of the parkade will have at-grade pedestrian access to Hamilton. It looks like it should work quite well.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 5:14 PM
See ya down under, mates

This Lower Capilano Marine Village Centre looks like it'll eventually be the crown jewel of the Marine transformation and will make for a much better first impression for those coming into North Van via Lions Gate Bridge/West Van:

PDF 1: http://www.identity.dnv.org/upload/p...s/13fhj01!.pdf

PDF 2: http://www.identity.dnv.org/upload/p...ts/13fh01!.pdf

Illustrations show at least a couple 10+ storey buildings and this should bridge the skyline gap a little between Woodcroft and the building on the other side of Marine/Capilano.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 8:42 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

wow thanks for posting looks great. could use a few more floors

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 9:40 PM
See ya down under, mates

We don't do "more floors" in these parts. In fact there will almost certainly be massive grumblings about this the way it is.

But with Squamish Nation/Park Royal/West Van planning something on a much bigger scale on their side of the bridge, hopefully this can slip in without much controversy.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 8:26 PM
ON3P Skis

Just updating this thread with what I posted in the North Shore Updates Thread

Adera's 730 Marine Drive project was approved by council on Monday night.

Staff Presentation
Applicant's Presentation
Bylaw 8244

The project will be 3 storeys of residential (60 units) over 1 storey of commercial (11,380 sf ft) and parking, with 1 level of underground (95 total stalls. including 23 at grade).

IMG_0831.jpg by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

IMG_0827.jpg by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

IMG_0829.jpg by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Last edited by wrenegade; Jun 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM. Reason: added details

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 10:42 PM
See ya down under, mates

Thanks again, wrenegade. I've added that to the original post, plus concepts for most of the other unfinished buildings. Gives a much better feeling for the final look of the street now IMO.

Almost time for another round of construction photo updates from either wrenegade or I (or anyone else who wants to). Stay tuned.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 4:24 PM
ON3P Skis

I've been busy. I plan to get on my bike and do a big update again, it was far too long of a run the last time. Perhaps one day next week the weather will cooperate.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 4:05 PM
ON3P Skis

Onni Project - 1650 Churchill Crescent

Some photos of the Open House boards from a couple weeks back (sorry I was late with this one). While this is technically not on Marine Drive, it is included in the Marine Drive Plan (District of North Van). 75 units and 166 parking stalls. Which is pretty nuts if you ask me, but the parking requirements are 144 stalls, so it's not that many over. Because this is such a large site (~345' or something like that), all those stalls can be provided at grade and on one level of parkade. Photos aren't fantastic of the landscape and floor plans, but the renderings and stats page turned out ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by District of North Vancouver

Applicant: Onni Group of Companies

The Site: 1616-26 Lloyd Avenue and 1050-1080 Churchill Crescent

The Proposal: The proposal is to redevelop the subject site into a 4 storey building consisting of 75 residential units. The unit mix includes 19 one bedroom units, 54 two bedroom units and 2 three bedroom units. On the ground floor, 9 of the units are live-work units designed with a separate entrance to an office space, to accommodate home based buisnesses.

Parking will be accessed from the lane and includes both at grade parking and an underground parkade. Theree are a total of 166 parking spaces proposed which is in excess of District requirements.

The building in inside the floor plain for MacKay Creek, so the living space will be raised slightly above grade to meet floor construction levels.

The choice of building materials include corrugated metal siding, and hardiplank siding with timber features at key points.

Municipal Review: As part of the development review process, various municipal departments will review the application to ensure compliance with municipal regulations.

Process: The process for applications is designed to ensure that local residents and business owners who may be affected by a development are informed early in the process so that their comments may be considered and incorporated into the proposal.

If you have any concerns be sure to let District planning staff know by phoning, emailing the attached "Comments Sheet" at the Public Information Meeting or forwarding it directly to the Community Planning Department. If you would like more information on this specific proposal, you are invited to call Tamsin Guppy of the District of North Vancouver Planning Department at 604-990-2391 or email at tguppy@dnv.org
NE View (from Churchill & Lloyd)

Onni Churchill Crescent-5 by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

SE View (from Lloyd & lane)

Onni Churchill Crescent-4 by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

NW View (from Churchill & lane)

Onni Churchill Crescent-3 by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Entryway (N View along Churchill)

Onni Churchill Crescent-6 by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Landscape Plan

Onni Churchill Crescent-1 by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Level 2 Plan

Onni Churchill Crescent-2 by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Stats (view this on Flickr in larger sizes to read the numbers more closely).

Onni Churchill Crescent-7 by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Last edited by wrenegade; Jul 12, 2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: more info

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 4:08 PM

That looks just awful and is a terrible place for residential.

I hope this one gets shot down.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 12:39 AM
ON3P Skis

It may be slightly ahead of its time for residential in the area now, but the rest of the neighbourhood will catch up. I am happy to see that there is no traditional retail included as Marine Drive will have more than enough of that in the coming years. As for the design itself, the corrugated metal siding is absolutely hideous but I do like the peaked roofs. I don't mind the massing but the materials definitely need some work.

also, I added more details to my original post.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 3:04 AM

I pretty much agree. Corrugated siding looks really cheap but the actual design isn't too bad at all. It doesn't look too modern but at least it is different from all the upward-slanted peaks on all of the Marine Drive facing developments.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 3:34 AM
See ya down under, mates

I'd like to see a more high-tech rendering. That looks like something done in the 90s.

Is the plan to make everything south of Marine into residential too (up until the newer business parks on 1st)?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 7:02 AM
ON3P Skis

In the District of North Van (west of Mackay Road) everything has been pre-zoned C9 ("The intent of the C9 Zone is to accommodate mixed-use developments with
emphasis on commercial, residential and complementary uses) that borders Marine Drive, except the Shell station (C3A) and the Indigo building (CD21). East of Pemberton the southern boundary for this zone is Churchill Crescent, West of Pemberton it is the east-west lane immediately south of Marine (with the exception that the Tomahawk Restaurant is also zoned C9). Along Pemberton itself the C9 zone continues to 15th St/Roosevelt Crescent.

I can't find a PDF zoning map, but you can use the North Van GeoWeb (turn on the zoning layer) and read the Zoning Bylaw for more information.

edit: In the City of North Van more information can be found here and map is below:

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 6:38 PM
See ya down under, mates

Finally found a concept photo for 850 Marine on spacelist.ca

Added to the OP

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 2:55 AM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 11:43 AM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2012, 10:51 PM
ON3P Skis

A couple photos from last week

New Swiss Chalet at Capilano Square

IMG_0966.jpg by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

850 Marine Drive

IMG_0968.jpg by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

700 Marine

IMG_0970.jpg by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 3:09 AM
See ya down under, mates

Thx. Does the Swiss Chalet have a patio on any side? Seemed like it was an opportunity to give that power centre a little more life from the road. But obviously the owners were never too concerned about that...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 4:24 AM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Thx. Does the Swiss Chalet have a patio on any side? Seemed like it was an opportunity to give that power centre a little more life from the road. But obviously the owners were never too concerned about that...
I believe there is a small patio facing the inside of the centre, not 100% sure though. Unfortunately, like the rest of Capilano Square, the building is oriented towards the parking field.

A quick update from Executive Group's The Ivy on Marine (across from Save-On).

IMG_1013.jpg by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 4:28 AM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
Just posting this verbatim from the North Shore updates thread. This will replace the old Rogers Video/Daycare building

972 Marine Drive

New 5 storey, 67 unit building proposed by PC Urban Group at the corner of Marine Drive and Hamilton. There will also be approximately 3,370 sf of commercial retail space on the ground floor fronting Marine Drive. Building will total 61,866 sf (I'm unsure of the FSR number, but it's based on the site area before giving the existing parking lot back to the city). The proposal finally fixes the weird parking lot that cuts into Heywood park and would replace the vehicular bridge with a pedestrian one. My apologies for the 2nd model shot, it's lousy (but you get the idea).

972 Marine Drive by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr
972 Marine Drive goes to Public Hearing on Monday September 17th. The building has increased the balcony sizes overlooking the Mackay Creek and have added more wood detail on the facade.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 3:55 PM
ON3P Skis

As mentioned in the North Shore updates thread, PC Urban's 972 Marine drive was supported 5-2 on the 17th.
Bylaw 8254
972 Marine Drive - Applicant's Presentation

Also, some more photos:

Swiss Chalet progress

IMG_1115.jpg by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

845 Marine (the colour scheme did not improve this building at all)

845 Marine Drive - September 25th by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

The Ivy

The Ivy - September 30th by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley