HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 8:35 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
It's a positive reinforcement cycle; more people + more businesses = greedy developers providing more housing for more people & businesses nearby + the added bonus's to the city from each project = better public realm for all
LOL It's not a bonus. It's an understanding that the impact of the development (in simplest terms, more people) means a need for better, improved amenities. Ideally, this fee would be used to subsidized the costs of new spaces than just subsidizing the costs of renovating existing public spaces and amenities. It's just a little too costly to expect in the boom we're having. Ideally, the privately owned public spaces would be indistinguishable from publicly owned spaces. That isn't the case. These space are nice and pretty but clearly purposely designed to be uninviting as public use spaces and discourage " loitering" as they tend to put things.

Things aren't bad overall but, hardly as win win as you make it. More people are having to share those same public spaces which most have agree for many years includes an insufficient amount of usable green spaces. It be more dire without WaterfrontTO and TCHC public/private partnership

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Feb 17, 2017 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 8:47 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
If Yonge street is going to become the main street that Toronto rightfully deserves, then it needs a much better pedestrian realm. Whether Yonge street has the most pedestrians of any street in the country is open to debate, but it's hard for me to think of any sidewalks in Canada that are more crowded than those along Yonge just north of Dundas.

How are those plans coming along to close off one lane?
Bay Street in the CBD is much worse. It actually overflow onto Bay Street. I don't find Yonge that bad. The bottlenecks tend to be around temporary covered hoarding, those damn A frame clapboard signs and people standing around the plazas. Expanding the sidewalks may create more bottlenecks as people will feel more free to come to a complete stop in the middle of the walkway. Remember 70 more pokemons to collect.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 10:09 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
LOL It's not a bonus. It's an understanding that the impact of the development (in simplest terms, more people) means a need for better, improved amenities. Ideally, this fee would be used to subsidized the costs of new spaces than just subsidizing the costs of renovating existing public spaces and amenities. It's just a little too costly to expect in the boom we're having. Ideally, the privately owned public spaces would be indistinguishable from publicly owned spaces. That isn't the case. These space are nice and pretty but clearly purposely designed to be uninviting as public use spaces and discourage " loitering" as they tend to put things.

Things aren't bad overall but, hardly as win win as you make it. More people are having to share those same public spaces which most have agree for many years includes an insufficient amount of usable green spaces. It be more dire without WaterfrontTO and TCHC public/private partnership
All new projects approved in the Entertainment District should include section 37 money towards the decking of the rail corridor and the park to be built above.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Bay Street in the CBD is much worse. It actually overflow onto Bay Street. I don't find Yonge that bad. The bottlenecks tend to be around temporary covered hoarding, those damn A frame clapboard signs and people standing around the plazas. Expanding the sidewalks may create more bottlenecks as people will feel more free to come to a complete stop in the middle of the walkway. Remember 70 more pokemons to collect.

I don't know, Yonge Street sidewalks can be overcrowded to the point where if you want to pass somebody slow you have to sometimes step onto the street to get around them.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 11:43 PM
gettin' rich!

Between Queen and Bloor, Yonge Street is a madhouse.

The street should have been pedestrian only ages ago.

I guess taking 1 lane of street traffic for sidewalks is the best we will get and probably only between College and Queen.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 12:09 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I don't know, Yonge Street sidewalks can be overcrowded to the point where if you want to pass somebody slow you have to sometimes step onto the street to get around them.
I have had to step off and on at Dundas' overflowing gathering places and at a few narrowed construction sites. It does get overcrowded at points. However, I've walked the full 3 blocks down Bay in the curb lane.

I've had more near collisions and done more weaving on sidewalks that have a lot of spare capacity. Same thing with going to the grocery store off hours and avoiding the crowds. Every time they're some fool that has to block the doorway to check that they weren't charge twice for bananas. People are more emboldened to be self-centred when there isn't a mob behind them.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 1:04 PM
gettin' rich!

Its not just for the ease of movement. A wider sidewalk would enliven the district, stores/vendors and patios being able to spill into the street.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 3:51 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Its not just for the ease of movement. A wider sidewalk would enliven the district, stores/vendors and patios being able to spill into the street.
LOL It's pretty lively already.

Wouldn't make much sense to install a wider sidewalk to ease congestion and than allow patios in the boulevard reducing capacity back to what it already is. The street is already lined with stores and businesses too.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 5:16 PM
gettin' rich!

Yeah, but the livelyness sucks!

Just tonnes of people walking up and down the street. Limited areas for full on interaction - exceptions being, Ryerson LC/Dundas Square. Hopefully the new College Park as well.

A new pedestrian oriented streetscape from Queen to College, would not only connect those aforementioned areas but allow businesses along the way to interact with the street.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 5:25 PM
I am the law!

How would the businesses interaction any more than they do already? Maybe more people will window shop if it wasn't crowded? Then again, people are in commuter phase (having given up on the subway) when it's really crowded.

Edit. The city's transportation department has been removing right turn lanes to make our streets more pedestrian friendly and add some greenery. They left a small right turn lane outside Aura but, have effectively removed a land of traffic providing a look at the future should this project be built. The sidewalks are now extra wide with street trees but, the boulevard cafes were still only allowed on the narrower Gerrard frontage.

Before:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.65918...8i6656!6m1!1e1

After:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.65916...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Lake Shore & York before:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64202...8i1664!6m1!1e1

Lake Shore & York after:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64199...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Feb 18, 2017 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:06 PM
gettin' rich!

How does a wider sidewalk let businesses interact with the street/public?

I dunno man, we just have to do it and see what happens. There is huge untapped potential on our busiest street and main tourist landing pad or congregating point for downtown Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:14 PM
I am the law!

Man, I just had the time to edit my previous post

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:27 PM
gettin' rich!

obviously red tape can mess this idea up.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 4:27 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

The List on Page 1 has been updated.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 1:28 PM
I am the law!

Brentwood 3 is u/c

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 1:54 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Thanks... fixed it.

There are 229 towers on the list now. The diagram has almost no gaps. We need a Quebec illustrator to draw those revised Phare towers.
I'm not sure about those Edge Towers in Mississauga. A fence around the property doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence in me that construction has actually commenced...

Last edited by koops65; Mar 24, 2017 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 8:04 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Thanks... fixed it.

There are 229 towers on the list now. The diagram has almost no gaps. We need a Quebec illustrator to draw those revised Phare towers.
I'm not sure about those Edge Towers in Mississauga. A fence around the property doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence in me that construction has actually commenced...
I agree, I'm pretty sure their is some issue with the daycare centre going on with that development. I'll still check out the site every month or three weeks in case something happens.

EDIT: Hmm, looks like they were in a little dance with the good ol OMB in October.

Last edited by GeneralLeeTPHLS; Mar 24, 2017 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 10:34 PM

Kudos for all the work you do here, koops.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 1:17 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Cheers back!

It would be less fun and more of a chore if I didn't get positive feedback occasionally.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 11:34 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

The list on Page 1 has been updated. There are now 234 towers on the list. The Diagram only shows 233 because 15 Wellesley isn't on there yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada