HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 6:13 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG922 View Post
The last page has regional streets, which I assume is what Plessis is. The list has everything from regional street reconstruction to back lane renewals
Too early in the morning...sorry.

But yeah, I read the budget and confirmed that it's not there.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 2:14 AM

Thanks for the information guys.

Its truly mindboggling how year after year that stretch of road somehow doesn't make the city's cut. Anyone who has ever experienced NB Plessis from Sanford Fleming to Devonshire can attest to how brutal it is. It almost literally rattles your teeth out...especially in winter when the frost pushes the bumps up. Its unbelievable.

Oh well...maybe next year ...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 2:39 AM
Heart of the Continent

Hey - I'm just impressed they're fixing St James (two different sections) and doing preliminary work on the realignment and reconstruction of Empress south of St. Matthews. I thought they'd never get fixed. The entire project is one year behind because of Manitoba Hydro work.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 9:20 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post

Its truly mindboggling how year after year that stretch of road somehow doesn't make the city's cut. Anyone who has ever experienced NB Plessis from Sanford Fleming to Devonshire can attest to how brutal it is. It almost literally rattles your teeth out...especially in winter when the frost pushes the bumps up. Its unbelievable.

I suppose there's still a slim chance that it gets fixed this year. Every so often, the city's in house crews will do some mill n fill repairs to short stretches of street. I'm not sure if the locations of those ever get posted though?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 1:34 PM

Dear City of Winnipeg:

Henderson Highway from Gilmore to Glenway really needs some attention.

Commercial and residential construction has increased traffic significantly. Pavement has not been addressed for ~50 years. This very busy undivided stretch without appropriate turning / storage lanes results in risk taking behavior that I see daily.

The answer is not traffic signals at Bonner. Please repair and divide this 1.5 mile dangerous stretch of heavily used infrastructure.

Sincerely,

A concerned citizen

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
Dear City of Winnipeg:

Commercial and residential construction has increased traffic significantly. Pavement has not been addressed for ~50 years. This very busy undivided stretch without appropriate turning / storage lanes results in risk taking behavior that I see daily.

The answer is not traffic signals at Bonner. Please repair and divide this 1.5 mile dangerous stretch of heavily used infrastructure.

Sincerely,

A concerned citizen
This stretch of roadway is slated to be urbanized in the very near future. Maybe this year or next, not too sure. Basically rebuilding the roadway to remove ditches and install curbs, sidewalks, boulevards, all that. Not sure where this appears in the budget, but I've seen it in the capital estimates.

Edit: Capital forecast has $700k budgeted in 2018. That would be for preliminary design work. So it'll be maybe a 2019 project.

Adopted 2017 capital budget and 5 year forecast is located here. Lots of info on upcoming projects.
http://www.winnipeg.ca/finance/files...et_Volume3.pdf

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 2:44 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG922 View Post
I suppose there's still a slim chance that it gets fixed this year. Every so often, the city's in house crews will do some mill n fill repairs to short stretches of street. I'm not sure if the locations of those ever get posted though?
They're in the Capital Budget. There is always a very small amount of "other" or "miscellaneous" though, if I take your meaning

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post

I'll trade that section of Plessis for Bournais Dr from the CN mainline to Dugald Rd. That part of Bournais dr is one section that needs work at all the pavement joints.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I'll trade that section of Plessis for Bournais Dr from the CN mainline to Dugald Rd. That part of Bournais dr is one section that needs work at all the pavement joints.
Same with the other side of Dugald. The City replaced a large section of roadway on DeBaets last year from Camiel Sys to Paquin. They're finishing the other half of DeBaets and the stretch of Beghin right at Dugald. Those are the worst roads. used to drive through Bournais and across Dugald every single day. Tore the front end apart. Never mind the rims..

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 8:34 PM

Considering the state of the streets, I'm surprised at how little Winnipeg is doing. They could be doing twice as much roadwork as what they've got planned and it wouldn't be enough.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 9:46 PM

Good to hear. Thank you.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Dear City of Winnipeg:

Sincerely,

A concerned citizen
^This letter should/could have been dated 1987!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Considering the state of the streets, I'm surprised at how little Winnipeg is doing. They could be doing twice as much roadwork as what they've got planned and it wouldn't be enough.
There is only so much available equipment and labour in the province for street repairs/new construction. If you exceed that capacity you get into paying premiums to bring in equipment and crews from out of province.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:19 PM
Heart of the Continent

You don't want to work on too much at once either. You want to slowly eat away at the problem. Two reasons - construction inflation caused by a massive building boom, and the need to have infrastructure age in a sustainable way (if you build too much new stuff at once, it all gets old together).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^This letter should/could have been dated 1987!
It's kinda funny: when you're younger, you think that things just happen. I was a kid just after the Perimeter and Lag were built. Why wouldn't we continue to build / rebuild our infrastructure?

Thinking of Henderson, I just assumed that it would be split and built out properly to ESP. I've travelled this stretch thousands of times, and still can't believe it hasn't been done. Same goes with 101/59. No idea it would be another 25 years.

However, with the new condos and commercial on HH, it really is getting busy.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's kinda funny: when you're younger, you think that things just happen. I was a kid just after the Perimeter and Lag were built. Why wouldn't we continue to build / rebuild our infrastructure?

Thinking of Henderson, I just assumed that it would be split and built out properly to ESP. I've travelled this stretch thousands of times, and still can't believe it hasn't been done. Same goes with 101/59. No idea it would be another 25 years.

However, with the new condos and commercial on HH, it really is getting busy.
It is almost as if time stood still in parts of the city in regards to infrastructure, there was period of almost zero growth to account for part of that but the city should be spending where needed. The CentrePort road to nowhere is an example of where money DIDN'tT need to be spent.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The CentrePort road to nowhere is an example of where money DIDN'tT need to be spent.
I've always found it perplexing that upgrades are direly needed on so many existing routes in and around Winnipeg, yet CCW was the ambitious road project that actually got funded. CCW/101 must be the least-used interchange on the Perimeter.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:41 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I've always found it perplexing that upgrades are direly needed on so many existing routes in and around Winnipeg, yet CCW was the ambitious road project that actually got funded. CCW/101 must be the least-used interchange on the Perimeter.
To be fair it was phase 1 of a 2 phase project. With the change in government, I think phase 2 is likely dead. That said, the part from the Sturgeon Access Road north is busy during rush hour.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
To be fair it was phase 1 of a 2 phase project. With the change in government, I think phase 2 is likely dead. That said, the part from the Sturgeon Access Road north is busy during rush hour.
The lack of a phase 2 makes the whole thing even more of a white elephant... the volumes of the existing CCW hardly put it at the top of the interchange priority list relative to some other intersections on the Perimeter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan