HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 10:34 PM
World Machine

Personally I think the tower should be called 1 WTC. The name Freedom Tower does not signify American freedoms. I am sure that the name will fade away as time goes by.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:54 PM
BANNED

The Freedom Tower IS also identified as 1 WTC or Tower 1.

It's the first building by number, even though 7 WTC was rebuilt first. The numbers go just like they did for the former WTC.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Sounds like cheesy propaganda, if not a bit jingoistic.
It is more than a bit jingoistic, but of course people have raised the valid point that the Statue of Liberty is a pretty darned jingoistic name too. I really don't like the name Freedom Tower, but it's not going away, and give it some time and nobody will think twice about it.

I'd much prefer One World Trade Center.. it's sounds so much more dignified and corporate (despite the baggage attached to the words World Trade Center), which is the image the gov't should be going for to make the building as attractive to private tenants as possible, and not just end up being a public subsidy in the name of symbolism and "American resilience."

Alas, Freedom Tower is here to stay.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 1:38 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donybrx View Post
Yes...I recall in my own lifetime how tough it was to change the the "RCA" building in Rockefeller Center to "GE" after many decades; or the "PAN AM" building to "MetLIFE", among dozens of others...Cripes!..... We're talking about name changes against nearly insurmountable difficulties.........and there were big signs involved...Gosh!

Sorry, but I'm afraid GE could buy the ESB tomorrow, and everyone the world over would STILL call it the Empire State Building, no matter how hard the company tried to change it. Really, just because you don't like the name doesn't mean you should pretend the unavoidable fact of life is that the FT will be the FT as long as it stands. You can call it 1 WTC if you like - that is the address - but the name "FT" will stick.

BTW, Bush had nothing to do with the naming of the tower, and Bush's eventual departure from office will have nothing to do with a hypothetical renaming of the tower. Total non-sequiter, and that IS what that Brit critic what wrong and ignorant about.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 1:41 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
I'd much prefer One World Trade Center.. it's sounds so much more dignified and corporate (despite the baggage attached to the words World Trade Center), which is the image the gov't should be going for to make the building as attractive to private tenants as possible, and not just end up being a public subsidy in the name of symbolism and "American resilience."

Alas, Freedom Tower is here to stay.
Even the Twins weren't known popularly as "1 WTC" and "2 WTC." They were known as the Twin Towers. The Empire State Building is named in celebration of the Empire State, New York, so named for its vast resources and wealth. When was the last time anyone objected to how "jingoisic" that name is? I don't see the difference between the two names at all, except that I think freedom is probably more worthy of celebration than mere wealth.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 5:28 AM

Maybe not One and Two WTC, but they were known as the World Trade Center just as much as the Twin Towers.

Quote:
The Empire State Building is named in celebration of the Empire State, New York, so named for its vast resources and wealth. When was the last time anyone objected to how "jingoisic" that name is?
Did I not make the same basic point when I brought up the Statue of Liberty?

And perhaps Freedom Tower is a more noble name than Empire State Building, but I still think it's stupid and jingoistic.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 6:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
Maybe not One and Two WTC, but they were known as the World Trade Center just as much as the Twin Towers.

Did I not make the same basic point when I brought up the Statue of Liberty?

And perhaps Freedom Tower is a more noble name than Empire State Building, but I still think it's stupid and jingoistic.
What a load of crap. The "Freedom Tower" is a replacement for towers destroyed in a murderous terrorist attack by people whose philosophy it is to kill anyone who doesn't agree with them and to dress women in sacks. WTF do you want to call it, the "We Deeply Apologize If Our Continual Existence Angers You Tower"?

"Freedom". Yeah, what an ugly concept...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 6:57 AM

OK you're letting your emotions fly here. Did I ever say "freedom" is an ugly concept? Not a fat chance in hell. Did I already suggest a name in place of Freedom Tower? yes. Did I ever mention anything about conceeding anything to the terrorists? NO. Do I still think the name Freedom Tower is stupid and jingoistic? Yes. Am I entitled to my own opinion? Well, yeah, this is America. Sheesh.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 12:26 PM
BANNED

Does this also mean that you won't be waiting in line ahead of me to buy your ticket to visit the obs deck when the tower opens for business? Haha!!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 1:24 PM

where did the shape of this building come from?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Does this also mean that you won't be waiting in line ahead of me to buy your ticket to visit the obs deck when the tower opens for business? Haha!!
Heh, no, I'll probably wait a few months hoping that the lines will have died down a bit. I'm usually not the first in line to do anything.. for instance, I have yet to visit the Top of the Rock.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 2:57 PM
BANNED

I still have yet to visit the Empire State Building and the Rockafellar Center - and they BOTH have obs decks!

Yeah, that's a good thought. No need of trying to go there the first day of business and wonder if you might have to wait all day to get up there! Besides, the obs deck & restaurant might not be open right away.

They might do what they did with the Twins - open part of the building while the upper floors are still being worked on. This was the case with the North Twin Tower back in the very early '70s.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 3:00 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

Do current polls still show that the majority of NYC residents hate the design?

They're the ones that are living with it, why not create something people actually like. I'll likely be living there soon as well and the building drives me nuts. Since theres only one it needs to be taller IMO but thats a whole 'nother topic.

**EDIT** Daquan get up in the ESB at night, when those elevator doors open and millions of lights shimmer across hundreds of square miles you'll have a whole nother perception of the city.

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Last edited by -GR2NY-; Jan 30, 2007 at 3:06 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 5:12 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
I still have yet to visit the Empire State Building and the Rockafellar Center - and they BOTH have obs decks!
I've been to both, and I think that the view from The Rock is the better one - if only because you get to see the ESB, instead of looking from it.

Once the FT and the rest of the NWTC are complete, AND with the BOFA standing proud right there... AND the new Vornado towers around where the MSG currently is, AND the new supertall coming to 32nd steet added to the skyline...

What an awesome sight that will be!

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
I've been to both, and I think that the view from The Rock is the better one - if only because you get to see the ESB, instead of looking from it.

I agree completely. I went right after it opened with a friend from out of town and we walked directly from the ticket counter to the elevator and were two of six people on all the observation decks. It was amazing.

Now they are seeing some results from their extensive advertising campaign and I here it's much busier.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
What a load of crap. The "Freedom Tower" is a replacement for towers destroyed in a murderous terrorist attack by people whose philosophy it is to kill anyone who doesn't agree with them and to dress women in sacks. WTF do you want to call it, the "We Deeply Apologize If Our Continual Existence Angers You Tower"?

"Freedom". Yeah, what an ugly concept...
Your sarcasm is not a good argument. "Freedom Tower" came from Pataki (a Republican) who tagged along with the white-house's disingenuous hyperbole. It's not ugly, it's silly, but a sign of the time it was named.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 9:03 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
I agree completely. I went right after it opened with a friend from out of town and we walked directly from the ticket counter to the elevator and were two of six people on all the observation decks. It was amazing.

Now they are seeing some results from their extensive advertising campaign and I here it's much busier.

I was there early last week - plenty of tourists up there. First time I went, it was just Americans. I guess the tour operators are starting to catch on...

The best thing about visiting the "Top of the Rock" is, you don't stand there for an hour or two just to get to the top... you just go right on to the top without hardly any wait at all.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
The best thing about visiting the "Top of the Rock" is, you don't stand there for an hour or two just to get to the top... you just go right on to the top without hardly any wait at all.

Correction: second best thing...

posted by newyorker2005 on SSC
http://www.pbase.com/rfcd100/image/7...5/original.jpg

Freedom Tower is only going to make this view better.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 11:02 PM

^^new background, and first post too. Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 11:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Correction: second best thing...

posted by newyorker2005 on SSC
http://www.pbase.com/rfcd100/image/7...5/original.jpg

Freedom Tower is only going to make this view better.

Looks like the ESB is going to block the view of the Freedom Tower from this vantage point.

Hell, I can't even see 7 WTC from here!! Guess one has to go to the ESB's obs deck to get a good bird's-eye-view of the Freedom Tower, hey?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive