HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 3:34 PM
recession proof

^I modified the tower slightly--6s podium mimicking the warehouse-style 1930s buildings south of Dundas on Spadina Avenue Toronto--with a 16s tower above for a total of 22s. The idea: kill boring grey spandrel and replace it with angled panels--perhaps even in a colourful pattern Balconies on east & west elevations alternate every other floor with French balconies for the rest.

484 Spadina Avenue Toronto = Hotel NimbyTect

Looking North towards UofT's Spadina Circle building:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 3:04 PM
recession proof

420 Bathurst Street Toronto is itching to become another dreary 3s Walmart with a ton of parking.

I humbly propose a more urban solution--ground level retail (could be an urban format Walmart) with 8s of condos above.

Is Bathurst ready to grow up and welcome new residents to Kensington Market?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 3:14 PM
Editor

This is an interior of a design for a library that I made up. It was more just for kicks, and I'm not an architect, so don't critique it too hard

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 4:49 PM
recession proof

^Image isn't showing.

Update on my 420 Bathurst sketch. Change to black brick with concrete retail area:

Are you uncool enough to shop at NimbyMart?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 1:16 PM
recession proof

Here's something a little bit different: An urban planning exercise. My vision for the "Avenues" across Toronto and the 905--from Bathurst to Dufferin, Lawrence to Finch, Burnhamthorpe to Hurontario, Mississauga City Centre and beyond. Between 3 and 6s would be the ideal goal depending on context, with a variety of facades and materials with a common floorplate design to make it all affordable. What I wish would be the future "streetcar suburb." The first floor would be a combination of retail, office, live/work and studios depending on demand, perhaps with several blocks of retail then residential like you find in parts of Montreal or Toronto. Each pair of buildings/facades shares an elevator shaft. Around back is the alley side with generous balconies. Vehicle parking--depending on context/demand--via stackers, surface parking facing public space/squares or perhaps underground parking or neighbourhood parking garages. And of course--depending on cost--green roofs/gardens up top.

On this block, the facades vary in colour and texture/material creating visual interest while sharing a common modern aesthetic with the 5th floor pitched back promoting max sun exposure on the street below. Like in prewar blocks across Canada, each "block" could be by a different architect/developer yet all "talk to each other" with a common design language/roof lines/massing just like in the good old days....

With more updates to come.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Jun 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 5:35 PM

I wish I looked at that thread before.

All of it is very interresting & impressive. I wish I had the knowledge to use that software aswell.

You need alot of patience & imagination. I wait for more !

Otherwise, the closest things I do from this, are hand-drawn maps, but in a similar way, you need to create & imagine the whole urbanism plan. But the problem with Hand-drawn maps is you need to think about it TWICE before drawing it, cause you can't undo

Here are few examples :

I did some sketches with AutoCAD aswell :

And I did a quick renovation concept with Photofiltre of an old abandonned house in Quebec city :

---------------

Unfortunately I did it all before 2010 when I was around 20 ... I don't get enough time these years when I started my career as a draftsman.

It miss me. It was fun.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 5:44 PM
BANNED

^Looks haunted. Great location to film a horror movie.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 5:58 PM

Yes indeed

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 7:43 PM

Since this thread started back up, here is one of my designs I did in SketchUp for a development to go in between the Pigott Building and Commerce Place in Hamilton. Both towers are 80 floors:

Source: My Photo

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 2:33 PM
recession proof

FrAnKs: Wow those are insanely detailed maps! Years ago I used to sketch out fantasy maps of cities but never to the precision of yours: love

Back to 484 Spadina Avenue Toronto. I recently found out the developer is planning student rental housing above a 2 storey podium containing a nightclub and a fitness centre. So with that in mind, I decided to redesign my concept to fit those requirements--likely a tight budget for example. A simple tower with colourful spandrel reflecting the "flags of the world" students come from to study at University of Toronto.

Looking SW down Spadina:

Looking NW at the podium:

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 5:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

raze downtown Longueuil/Laval, and start all over again.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 1:55 AM
recession proof

Should the Queen and Spadina area of Toronto go mid-highrise?

I think so! (And retain its character/Victorian streetscape.)

Example: Queen and Spadina looking Southwest:

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 5:33 AM
recession proof

Another couple of proposals for the Queen and Spadina neighbourhood:

1)Queen Street West and Vanauley Street--currently occupied by an ugly 1-2s fabric store built c.1950s.
Vanauley facade:

Queen:

Proposed material: raw concrete columns or precast panels mimicking them.
Inspiration: those awesome (from MPOV) wooden hydro poles that proliferate across Toronto and Ontario's rural routes.

2)Queen Street West just east of Spadina, currently occupied by a 1 storey recently-closed Le Chateau outlet.

Proposed material: brick
Inspiration: Victorian roofline meets Dutch modernism

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 3:11 AM
recession proof

Another massing concept for the Queen and Spadina area of Toronto--passé district condos at 170 Spadina Avenue (Fad Condos site--that project appears to be on hold.)

And a Victorian-storefront-inspired/scaled lowrise just west of Spadina on Queen West:

As you can see the details and roof line meet the c.1880s Victorians next door yet with a cool modern edge:

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 9:30 AM
recession proof

Update on 170 Spadina: Although I rather like the solid pitched roof and am not a strict follower of modernism's "form follows function" scriptures, here's an alternative approach to the roof that continues the pentagon "lattice" theme. The roof here provides a visual punctuation mark to the Queen and Spadina area and the pentagon "holes in the roof" function as portholes framing views out from the 3 storey glass box that serves as amenities--fitness, pool, kitchen, bbq area, and perhaps an upscale restaurant with an expansive patio/deck. And also serve as vents for the MechPH stuff.

I suppose the building could be an upscale boutique condo/hotel instead of pure luxury condos--target around 120 units.

The view into and out from typical units--the "lattice" would likely be an insulated laser-cut metal cladding with a layer of glazing--perhaps via hinged or sliding glass shutters--on the interior.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 9:27 PM
recession proof

I'm still in love with the idea of Spadina Avenue turning into Toronto's Broadway--intense density with a crazy variety of shops. Here's a few more design concepts I'm dreaming about lately:

Spadina Haus--half a block north of Queen:

rich$PA--Southeast corner Richmond and Spadina. I'm working on a cantilever over an old warehouse building to the south of this corner.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 3:10 PM
recession proof

Another look at my Richmond and Spadina Toronto fantasy:

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:56 PM
recession proof

Found the time to add 4 more floors here (easy copy & paste job :p)

I think I've found my dream gig though: architectural designer. Different than an architect, more creative/visionary and less into the zoning details etc.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 9:44 PM
Here and There

Whoooooooooahhhhhhhh............BACK UP!

Look at those hand drawn maps and sketches. Very cool.

I used to draw something similar but never to that amount of detail. I will scan some of the stuff in that I used to draw when I was about 12 or 13 and post it in the next few days.

It was called "Oceanic City" ........

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 10:02 PM
recession proof

Under construction: Spadina and Richmond - Toronto - NE corner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada