HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:54 PM

A ridiculous BC law might shut down my favorite West Coast brewery.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...lr-regulations
"The clock is ticking for Persephone Brewing Co. after a panel of the Agricultural Land Commission gave the Sunshine Coast’s farm-based brewery two years to comply with provincial regulations, or halt operations."
posted on: http://www.beermebc.com

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:45 PM

I forgot to ad this link. If you like craft breweries and especially if you live in BC and want to protect them please sign this petition.

https://www.change.org/p/minister-of...ming-breweries

A link from this website: http://www.persephonebrewing.com/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 9:21 PM

Wow that sucks. Persephone is amazing.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 12:06 AM
recession proof

I had an excellent Irish Stout at Abe Erb to celebrate with my fellow Orangemen.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 12:10 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

You're way too early for Orangemen's Day. NL holidays:

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I had an excellent Irish Stout at Abe Erb to celebrate with my fellow Orangemen.
In Waterloo, or at the new one in Kitchener (I've been wondering what it's like)?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:18 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

This year's Village Gardener - a basil IPA - is even better than I could have ever dreamed. Probably the best beer Village has ever produced.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:20 PM
sick transit, gloria

Bellwoods Brewery in Toronto recently released Ontario's first milkshake IPA. I thought it may have been Canada's first but doing some research it looks like there were a few released earlier this year in BC. Regardless, it's a relatively new style pioneered by Omnipolo (Sweden) and Tired Hands (Pennsylvania) involving a dry-hopped IPA with lactose sugar and large amounts of fruit. I picked up a couple bottles before it sold out and definitely lives up to the hype. The colour alone is almost worth it - although you probably don't want to have more than one in a sitting.

Milkshark IPA:

Canadian beer news

Apparently it's the first of what will hopefully be a number of releases. Now that Bellwoods has a second space for brewing their capacity has increased massively and they have more flexibility for this kind of stuff.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 8:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I thought I'd whet my nationalist appetite with a fine pink, white and green...

Only to be foiled by another province taking the profits.

An aside, these cans are a pleasure to hold. The tricolour flag buoy has raised features and the entire can has that matte, almost artisan feel. It really is actually enjoyable to hold this can. Soft, comfortable. How is that even a thing I notice?

The beer itself is meh. No more flavour than macro.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 3:54 AM

I'd recommend the Seaworthy IPA, Fundy's Town favourite

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 3:58 AM

But there's always the pride and joy of Saint John, NB— Moose Red

Last edited by saintjohnirish☘; Apr 14, 2017 at 4:10 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 9:58 PM

Red Racer's Across the Nation 12-pack is nearing release date. Some of these could be interesting, some others not so much. Not a fan of some of the breweries on the list, but I'll probably pick one case up for the novelty.

Quote:
Red Racer Across the Nation Collaboration Beers:

British Columbia – Four Winds Brewing Company: Left of the Divide IPA – BC is known for growing hops. Four Winds and Red Racer came together in this brew using concentrated Idaho 7 hop hash to brew a massively aromatic and truly West Coast style IPA.

Alberta – Last Best Brewing & Distilling: Berry Light Berliner Weisse – Using ingredients inspired from the Alberta plains, this Berliner Weisse is a wheat-based beer that uses raspberries and vanilla for a mildly sour, lightly sweet and easy drinking beer.

Saskatchewan – Black Bridge Brewery: Wide Open Spaces Kellerbier – The German were drawn to Saskatchewan in the 1700s for the vast farm land. With their arrival came beer styles such as the Kellerbier, a young lager with a distinctive and delicious flavour.

Manitoba – Half Pints Brewing Company: Land of Rice & Honey Saison – Manitoba is home to rich farmland that produces everything from wild rice to wildflower Honey. In this brew both are used in a unique and locally inspired beer.

Ontario – Beau’s Brewing Company: Upper Reaches Pale Ale – Reaching for the trees in Upper Canada this collaboration brew uses peaches and Ontario white spruce tips for a locally inspired, refreshing flavour.

Quebec – Le Trou Du Diable: Bouclier canadien Pilsner – Brewed with new-world hops this pilsner takes a tropical and aromatic approach to brewing. From the Canadian Shield, or bouclier canadien, this is a Canadian-hopped twist on the pilsner style.

New Brunswick – Picaroons Traditional Ales: Restored Hop(e) ESB – New Brunswich was largely founded by French descendants and United Empire Loyalists which inspired the province’s motto “Spem reduxit”, meaning “Hope is restored”. For this reason we have brewed the classic, English style of an Extra Special Bitter.

Nova Scotia – Garrison Brewing Company: “New” Scottish Ale – In Latin, Nova Scotia literally means “New Scotland”. To celebrate Canada’s Scottish roots, we have brewed up a lightly peated Scottish Ale.

Prince Edward Island – PEI Brewing Company: Bière d’ici Honey Ale (Beer of Here) – PEI may be small but it is often known as the Birthplace of Confederation. Brewed with local PEI honey and maritime grown hops, this brew is a lighter take on the Bière de Garde style.

Newfoundland – Quidi Vidi Brewing Company: Hop To The East Hefeweizen – Canada’s most eastern province is Newfoundland and taking a North Eastern take on the Hefeweizen style this beer was brewed with new-age tropical hops to give a fruity aromatic twist on the classic German style.

Yukon – Yukon Brewing Company: Swift Currant Dark Ale – Community plays a large role in Yukon life. This comes from the long winters and breathtaking wilderness surrounding. Taking a dark and warming beer style with local inspiration of black currents we have come out with a beer that truly represents the people of the Yukon.

Northwest Territories – NWT Brewing Company: Miner’s Refresh Grissette – From its origin in Belgian Mines, the Grissette style makes its way from mineral-rich Northwest Territories to the bottle. Made with spelt, this ancient recipe pays tribute to the mining heritage of Canada’s North.
http://centralcitybrewing.com/produc...collaboration/

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 10:15 AM
sick transit, gloria

Of course they partnered with Beaus in Ontario! Gotta give those guys credit for hustling - it does look like a good beer too. Like that they went with Last Best in Alberta as well, which is possibly the best in Calgary (Dandy does better one-offs though).

In Denmark at the moment and enjoying extremely tasty but pricey beers! Which I'm sure two forumers know from rate beer.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 2:07 PM

Yeah, Beau's beers are decent, though I don't know how I feel about spruce tips; I've never had a beer with them that I enjoyed. I've also liked what I've tried from Black Bridge in Saskatchewan.

Not a big fan of Picaroons at all (I'm not sure if anyone is), or Quidi Vidi, though QV's beer actually sounds really good. I guess it'll depend on how much influence QV has on the actual brewing process.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 3:04 AM
recession proof

I haven't had a beer in over a month! If you're ever in a liver transplant ward, it's a real turn off to be around alcohol. (Not me getting the transplant, but close enough ugh.)

Anyway, the last great beer I had was in early April from New Hamburg's Bitte Schon Brauhaus--5 out of 6 of their bottled beers I loved!

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 8:26 PM
sick transit, gloria

Managed to trade a Bellwoods sour beer in Denmark for a much more expensive lambic that would be very hard to get in Canada. Apparently people were excited about the Bellwoods over there though so that is a good sign for our beer scene!

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Managed to trade a Bellwoods sour beer in Denmark for a much more expensive lambic that would be very hard to get in Canada. Apparently people were excited about the Bellwoods over there though so that is a good sign for our beer scene!
Interesting. I hadn't heard of Bellwoods, but I'm checking them out now.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 11:39 PM
sick transit, gloria

It can be hard to get as it's only available to buy at the two brewery locations in Toronto. Some bars and restaurants outside the city have it though. Apparently it's one of the more requested trading beers, although aside from a few one-offs I never really got into that. If you are really interested I'd be happy to mail some though!

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
It can be hard to get as it's only available to buy at the two brewery locations in Toronto. Some bars and restaurants outside the city have it though. Apparently it's one of the more requested trading beers, although aside from a few one-offs I never really got into that. If you are really interested I'd be happy to mail some though!
I may hold that to you at some point. Once myself and my girlfriend move in the summer, whether it be to another house in St. John's or if we decide we've had enough of here and move onto the mainland, I'm going to start getting and holding onto more sought after beers. We don't have much in NL unless the beer club does a special order, but I'm hoping to travel a bit more and pick up some goodies. In other words: hoping to be able to get into the trading scene shortly

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 4:04 PM

St. John's finally has a beer garden. It's at Mallard Cottage down in the quaint Quidi Vidi fishing village neighbourhood. I'm off to drink some Port Rexton pints under the sunny summer skies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada