HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 9:11 PM
ARTchitecture

I think by the end, both Trump and Aura hid the top spot from the Bow. However, we did have 2 on the list at the time, The Bow (236M) and Eight Avenue Place (212M)

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 9:27 PM
gettin' rich!

The Bow, was #1 on the list for a while, from the summer of 2007 to the fall (November) of 2007 when Trump Toronto started.

The Aura Condo Tower didn't start until the Winter of 2010 (February)

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 9:29 PM
I am the law!

Centennial or Jameson were in the top ten at some point with the bow.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 1:04 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Also a slim chance Holt Renfrew might start by 2017 and prevent Brookfield from claiming top spot.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 2:45 AM
I am the law!

2017 seems a long time for Brookfield. Regardless, between now and then is such a long time that a project not even on the radar could top it. That includes Calgary where land use changes pretty much remain behind closed doors.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 2:48 AM

Yeah Holt Renfrew is 900ft+ which COULD start construction sometime in 2016 or 2017. That is def possible. It needs to be approved first, and go into sales. I remember the intial meeting with council came back that the height wasn't an issue for the area which is good news. Other than that tower, there's the 1 Yonge St proposal which would have 4 towers taller than Brookfield in Calgary. Personally I think this project will get downsized to the tallest towers being 65 to 70 stories, which would rob it of the #1 spot here. But hey let's remain positive If either Holt Renfrew or 1 Yonge gets built as is... that would be Canada's tallest residential tower again, taking the crown from Aura.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 3:01 AM
I am the law!

With respects to One Yonge, I expect the number of towers reduced with the possibility of the towers on the east side of the lot being shortened as well. In such a case, I can see two proposed towers on the side facing Yonge gaining height in return.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 3:02 AM
gettin' rich!

Its also possible that 1 Yonge gets downsized from 6 towers to 4 towers with the taller towers getting taller. Not likely, but possible.

I can see at least one of the 1 Yonge towers breaking 280 to 290 meters. The rest might get downsized to the 220 to 240 meter range from the current 260 to 280 meter range.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 3:24 AM

when you are going out to 2016-2017 there really is no way to know what will start construction. the first real indicator that something may soon start construction is a sales launch, which we now know will be occurring for 11 wellesley, 1 yorkville, and 460 yonge in the spring. those will be the next big Toronto projects.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 1:01 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
It's these exact same traits that the world was praising when Canada didn't slide into near oblivion in 2008. Spectacle is nice when things are good but when the time comes to pay the bill it may not be so sweet.
Are you honestly suggesting one should run a bank like one runs a NYE celebration? Now I've heard it all. Running a bank conservatively with checks and balances is smart, but that's not exactly the mindset you want to employ when you seek to entertain people. Entertainment? Either dazzle me or go home.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 4:02 PM
I am the law!

In the simpliest of terms, hosting an event or running a bank require the same checks and balances. You don't need to throw money around haplessly to entertain. Events have budgets. A bank that doesn't seek risk and opportunity will disappear.

Of note, I've recently been in several meetings in NYC and , it has become glaringly obvious that while we may look and speak the same, we are very different culturally. The sense of entitlement from the aristocratic heirarchy was deafening in the room.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 4:13 PM

So apparently Aura is finally finished it's 78th PH floor according to a poster on Urban Toronto. Now all we have left is the mechanical floors, so about 6 more floors to go before this thing is officially topped out. Based on the final height of 895ft, there's about 60 more feet to go before we hit that.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 5:07 PM
I am the law!

I wonder if the concrete is finished and the rest will be steel

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Are you honestly suggesting one should run a bank like one runs a NYE celebration? Now I've heard it all. Running a bank conservatively with checks and balances is smart, but that's not exactly the mindset you want to employ when you seek to entertain people. Entertainment? Either dazzle me or go home.
I'm saying that the conservative nature of Canadian business displays one of the Country's most prominent traits, one which shows an aversion to excessive spectacle.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Of note, I've recently been in several meetings in NYC and , it has become glaringly obvious that while we may look and speak the same, we are very different culturally. The sense of entitlement from the aristocratic heirarchy was deafening in the room.
Are you referring to the seemingly careless attitude towards the actions that got them into this mess in the first place? I had a friend who did an internship at a bank in NYC over the summer and he said it was amazing at how blissfully ignorant people seemed to be about the role the industry played in the economic collapse.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 6:33 PM
I am the law!

This wasn't anything specific to 2008. It was just an impression of appointed positions rather than being earned. Likewise, their education. Don't get me wrong. These are skillful, intelligent people but, at the same time, I definitely see them playing out Eddie Murphy's trading places for their own amusement. This disconnect with consquences, racism, sexism, can only get more apparent the higher up the ladder you go.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 8:11 AM

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 8:21 AM
ARTchitecture

HOLY testicle Tuesday!

...Oh shit, it's Wednesday now....

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 10:35 PM
gettin' rich!

Ryerson and Aura

By me - Just now

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 9:55 PM

Ten York with Harbour Plaza in the background:

By: Jasonzed on SkyscraperCity

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada