HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDP View Post
How can they construct the LRT in Montreal without federal funding, when the project needs federal funding to actually be completed?

Glad to see the push though, I grew up west island (kirkland), and hav't lived in Montréal in 10 years but nice to see them actually thinking outside the box to get transit done. Unlike here in Toronto where people just like talking about there perfect version of transit on a map.
The project is financed entirely by the CDPQ with an equity stake by the city of Montréal, the Quebec government and the feds. The governments don't need to pay until 2019.

The CDPQ will own the REM and not the government. They are charging the new supra transit agency ARTM, the same amount per passenger per km as the other transit agencies.

So for the same cost per km for running commuter rail (and not build it), they can build a new light metro system, and still make money. So they are ripping out one commuter rail and rebuilding it as a light metro rail and building two other light metro lines. For each user that access the CDPQ network (and that will be true for all transit agencies in the Montreal area), the CDPQ will charge back the ARTM. The ARTM is the one selling the tickets.

Cities are not too happy about it because they're losing the control they had on transit agencies finances. This is what is great about this, it basically removes politics for transit planning and transit funding.

Transit projects were funded by the province (the feds never funded rail transit here), so they were relunctant on spending big bucks on infrastructure. Cities on the other hand were stuck by heavy operating fees. The magic of the new system is that the infrastructure costs are bundled with the operating costs, so less efficient projects will not be funded.

For example, in Ottawa, with this way of thinking, the O-Train would have never been LRT but light metro. In Toronto, the GO Trains, which are costly to run, might have been transformed into automatic subways in the same ROW. It's a revolution for transit planning in Canada, but it's akin to the MTR in Hong Kong.

Last edited by p_xavier; Mar 10, 2017 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 4:02 PM

Yes, with tax increment financing taking the place of land development value capture, for the most part. A great way to get people to accept a big tax increase - do it in a complicated way that only exists slowly over time so very few actually understand what is going on!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Yes, with tax increment financing taking the place of land development value capture, for the most part. A great way to get people to accept a big tax increase - do it in a complicated way that only exists slowly over time so very few actually understand what is going on!
Actually the CDPQ needs to deal with that with the cities, there are no laws for that. Land-value capture is just starting. Why would people benefit for the higher value of their homes if they didn't contribute financially to the project?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:32 PM
gettin' rich!

Tunnel Boring Machine Extraction

Yonge - Eglinton

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 7:05 PM
gettin' rich!

They activated the third rail for trains on the Spadina line this week. And trains are now testing out the line.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/03/t...ar-completion/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 9:56 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
They activated the third rail for trains on the Spadina line this week. And trains are now testing out the line.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/03/t...ar-completion/
Still expected for the end of 2017?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 11:20 PM
gettin' rich!

That's what they are saying.....

We'll see what happens.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 11:39 PM

they are ahead of schedule for live train testing, they originally said April. I still fully expect it to open in December.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 11:38 PM

They are finishing the last of the installation of rails at King and Victoria in Kitchener.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 12:03 PM
gettin' rich!

The towers in Kitchener, gonna get a lot bigger from here on in.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:11 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

That would be nice.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:17 PM
I am the law!

Urban living is going to now take off like gangbusters because of an LRT. Drewlo, Tricar and the rest will all go bankrupt with their prefab tower in a park communities. You see it with LRT projects all over North America!!! Skyscrapers!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Urban living is going to now take off like gangbusters because of an LRT. Drewlo, Tricar and the rest will all go bankrupt with their prefab tower in a park communities. You see it with LRT projects all over North America!!! Skyscrapers!!!!!
Drewlo has apartment buildings in the urban core and has another site to be developed on the east end of Downtown (a couple of years away, apparently).

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:30 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Considering Mississauga is going to be building out those Edge Towers (Sales centre is actually u/c, will update next week) at 50 floors, 40 floors and 35 floors because of their Hurontario LRT, it's no surprise to me if Kitchener gets some 35+ floor buildings sometime in the next few years.

The Hurontario LRT is going to be beginning construction in a year or so, which will help make some parts of Mississauga less....ghetto-esque/depressing. I gotta wonder how their going to work on renovating all the bridges over the freeways and the chode of a railway bridge near Cooksville GO. However....traffic headaches for sure will be coming, not that I would mind.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:32 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

I recall the early plans for the Transport Hub at King/Victoria to have several tall (for Kitchener) office towers, in the 20 - 30 storey range, so about 80-130 metres tall or so. But they were just stand-ins and massing concepts I'm sure... I haven't seen anything proposed right there yet.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:35 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Considering Mississauga is going to be building out those Edge Towers (Sales centre is actually u/c, will update next week) at 50 floors, 40 floors and 35 floors because of their Hurontario LRT, it's no surprise to me if Kitchener gets some 35+ floor buildings sometime in the next few years.

The Hurontario LRT is going to be beginning construction in a year or so, which will help make some parts of Mississauga less....ghetto-esque/depressing. I gotta wonder how their going to work on renovating all the bridges over the freeways and the chode of a railway bridge near Cooksville GO. However....traffic headaches for sure will be coming, not that I would mind.
Let the computer/robot car deal with that, while you sit back and watch a movie...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:45 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post

The GTA is a different market. Speculators will buy anything. Mississauga City Centre has been building ever taller buildings for a very long time. To say Edge Towers is remotely tied to the LRT being built is ridiculous.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:54 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Drewlo has apartment buildings in the urban core and has another site to be developed on the east end of Downtown (a couple of years away, apparently).
I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post as saying that they built exclusively in the suburbs. They and the others have built a few in the city cores of Southern Ontario cities. They do tend to be taller and more urban than their tower in a park counterparts. My point remains that the majority of their portfolios are tower in the park communities outside the urban areas and that the LRT presents an opportunity for them to build many more multi-phased, tower in a park communities.

The city possibly not allowing 20 to 30 storey office towers or tall residential towers until now is not why they weren't built.

Don't confuse this with the LRT not bringing new development to the core. Just keep your expectations reasonable.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I recall the early plans for the Transport Hub at King/Victoria to have several tall (for Kitchener) office towers, in the 20 - 30 storey range, so about 80-130 metres tall or so. But they were just stand-ins and massing concepts I'm sure... I haven't seen anything proposed right there yet.
I think it will be 2018 before we see anything more detailed for the Transit Hub site (if plans include a hotel, there might be some height there). There is a brand new proposal for a 25 story condo Downtown, which would become Kitchener's tallest. I think one of the towers for the proposed "SIXO Midtown" development, immediately west of "Downtown" is 28 stories, but I don't know how likely that is. I could be wrong, but I don't think we'll see any condo towers above 30 stories in Kitchener for many years to come. As for non-condo buildings, there is a new proposal for an office building on King St W (first new-build office of any size for years in Downtown) - it would be 6 storeys.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 3:46 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
The GTA is a different market. Speculators will buy anything. Mississauga City Centre has been building ever taller buildings for a very long time. To say Edge Towers is remotely tied to the LRT being built is ridiculous.
I wasn't clear. I meant that the city allowed the towers to be as tall as they are because of the soon to come LRT. I'm not say the LRT=Edge Towers but that Edge Towers could've been bashed down a few floors to 35 floors as it's highest, but the city understood that the LRT would be right near rthe site and allowed a greater density. As for the buildings themselves, their a bit....haphazard in terms of design.

I know its different, but the idea that Kitchener would be able to build taller with more density is still a fair ideal. Kitchener's economy is doing great, and the downtown reflects that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada