HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:37 PM

Who will replace Harper?

Who will replace Harper?

This is NOT an election thread!

This thread is working from the nearly universal agreement that no one is going to come even remotely close to a majority government. No matter who you support I think that is one of the very few things that all of us can agree on.

Well whether Harper wins or loses his days are numbered not only by the Libs/Cons pulling down the government but also by his backbenchers and Tory strategists who know that Harper is used goods..........thanks for the memories, good luck and goodbye. Whether it's the Libs/Cons stabbing him in the heart or his backbenchers stabbing him in the back, he's toast.

So WITHOUT bringing in the current election, who do you think will replace Harper as leader of the Conservatives?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:39 PM

God I hate it when I don't properly reread my posts!! I meant to say Libs/NDP.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Hopefully a red Tory from, presumably, NS. Let's get the party back from the Reform/Alliance crowd.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 12:04 AM
Fake News

Ha nice new thread! Who do I think will replace Stephen Harper.... Hmm....an actual human?

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 24, 2015 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Who will replace Harper?

This is NOT an election thread!

This thread is working from the nearly universal agreement that no one is going to come even remotely close to a majority government. No matter who you support I think that is one of the very few things that all of us can agree on.

Well whether Harper wins or loses his days are numbered not only by the Libs/Cons pulling down the government but also by his backbenchers and Tory strategists who know that Harper is used goods..........thanks for the memories, good luck and goodbye. Whether it's the Libs/Cons stabbing him in the heart or his backbenchers stabbing him in the back, he's toast.

So WITHOUT bringing in the current election, who do you think will replace Harper as leader of the Conservatives?
Of the current cabinet, there's alot of lightweights like Pierre Poilievre who I view as basically unelectable. Joe Oliver might have some chance, but I think it's really Jason Kenney's to lose. Leona Aglukkaq ticks alot of boxes and might do well in a general election, but I don't think she'd win over enough supporters within the party, and she doesn't seem the type to really energize the Conservative base.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 12:45 AM

I think Jason Kenney will be a likely choice. I don't like him any more than Harper as a politician, but he seems a little more human.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:03 AM

I'm hoping for a right wing split. I agree with a Red Tory type of party. I don't think this Neo-Liberalism crap resonates with most people in Canada. The return of the PC party would be great

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:20 AM

I don't think Jason Kenney is PM material, he's more of a worker bee than a leader. Beyond that, Harper purged or alienated any other strong contenders, leaving the party with a lot of weak yes-men. Poilievre is a high profile example of that. This may be good, perhaps the party can be reclaimed by actual Tories rather than the destructive Reformers who hijacked the party.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:21 AM
BANNED

I look forward to bumping this thread in a month.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:27 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Peter MacKay, a Red Tory from NS would be my choice, but the timing isn't right since he's just "temporarily" bowed out of politics prior to this election for "family reasons".

This is standard protocol for someone wanting to avoid being associated with the demise of a government, and wanting to distance himself from the current party leadership before staging a comeback at some point in the future. I imagine Peter is thinking of challenging for the leadership in 6-8 years time. He would still be a (relatively) young man, and his return should coincide with the rebuilding of the party prior to their return to government.

In the meantime, I agree that Jason Kenney is likely the heir apparent. I like Lisa Raitt too though. I think she could make an effective leader of the opposition, and could potentially do very well in the election of 2018.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:40 AM

Joe Clark

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:07 AM

This really highlights Stephen Harper's failure to groom a successor or an array of candidates. But I think he wants it this way, he seems to want to be the smartest man in the room at any cost. I guess there are pros and cons to that.

Jean Chretien was similar, but I think he was blessed with a much stronger cabinet. It's too bad he never allowed anyone even a chance to touch the reins. Paul Martin would have had a better chance to do well if there had been a plan for succession. (Paul Martin was better suited as a Finance Minister than a Prime Minister, imo however).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
Joe Clark
One wishes. Unfortunately, I don't think he is a Conservative anymore.

Unless they find someone from outside the Party, which seems unlikely, Jason Kenney seems the obvious choice. He's basically a more sociable, Harper-light.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
One wishes. Unfortunately, I don't think he is a Conservative anymore.

Unless they find someone from outside the Party, which seems unlikely, Jason Kenney seems the obvious choice. He's basically a more sociable, Harper-light.
Jason Kenney is a good choice I agree.

Honestly , a better choice would be.....Jim Prentice . A true Red Tory and had great potential. Too bad he failed miserably during the election.

Maybe he could have a comeback to politics?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:53 AM

prentice could have been a successor but unfortunately for him Harper knew it and this is why he was sent to the Ministry of Indian Affairs.............the graveyard of all portfolios. It's the no-win Ministry where both politicians are sent to die a slow death. Also after the incredibly sleazy manoeuver he made recently in Alberta by resigning his seat immediately lost the election in Alberta pissed off a lot of Albertans of all stripes and showed his complete antipathy towards his constituents, party, and the entire democratic process.

Oliver is a right off. He is offensive, unlikeable, and has the charisma of a cockroach. He is completely unelectable as a PM.

MacKay? Maybe but he had his kick at the can and decided to give Harper the leadership with his little note is scratched on the back of a napkin at the Conservative convention. He also proved himself to be pretty incompetent as Minister of both Defence and Justice and he carries with him a lot of baggage.

Jason Kenny seems to be the favorite but not because of him specifically but just that he's the best of a bad lot. Harper excelled at getting rid of any potential competition and anyone who was not a complete yes-man. It left him with complete control but consequently few with any star power.........the competent ranks to choose from in the Tory caucus are pretty thin.

Myself, Kenney will definitely try for the job but I wouldn't be surprised if Baird comes back from the shadows and throw his hat in the ring. Baird was actually quite competent, socially more centrist, and has fighting spirit that serves him well in the rough and tumble game of politics.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
prentice could have been a successor but unfortunately for him Harper knew it and this is why he was sent to the Ministry of Indian Affairs.............the graveyard of all portfolios. It's the no-win Ministry where both politicians are sent to die a slow death. Also after the incredibly sleazy manoeuver he made recently in Alberta by resigning his seat immediately lost the election in Alberta pissed off a lot of Albertans of all stripes and showed his complete antipathy towards his constituents, party, and the entire democratic process.

Oliver is a right off. He is offensive, unlikeable, and has the charisma of a cockroach. He is completely unelectable as a PM.

MacKay? Maybe but he had his kick at the can and decided to give Harper the leadership with his little note is scratched on the back of a napkin at the Conservative convention. He also proved himself to be pretty incompetent as Minister of both Defence and Justice and he carries with him a lot of baggage.

Jason Kenny seems to be the favorite but not because of him specifically but just that he's the best of a bad lot. Harper excelled at getting rid of any potential competition and anyone who was not a complete yes-man. It left him with complete control but consequently few with any star power.........the competent ranks to choose from in the Tory caucus are pretty thin.

Myself, Kenney will definitely try for the job but I wouldn't be surprised if Baird comes back from the shadows and throw his hat in the ring. Baird was actually quite competent, socially more centrist, and has fighting spirit that serves him well in the rough and tumble game of politics.
Peter MacKay? Nice guy and all but, sorry, he's just not (and never will be) ready.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
I'm hoping for a right wing split. I agree with a Red Tory type of party. I don't think this Neo-Liberalism crap resonates with most people in Canada. The return of the PC party would be great
I'd also be hoping for the transformation of the CPC into a more Red Tory type of party, but I wouldn't want another credible "right" option showing up. There's already a (tiny) Libertarian party of Canada that, ideally, I would like to see merging with this unified socially liberal center-right party -- why waste a few votes on something that clearly isn't going to fly.

The socially conservative voters out there would have no option more appropriate than the Red Tories, so they'd be taken for granted, and wouldn't have much weight.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:07 AM

http://www.pcparty.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progre...Canadian_Party

Awaiting for a rise of this party which formed after the merger occurred!

I don't think that there is any current MP other than Jason Kenney fit for the job, but the PC party in Alberta (or any other province) could have MLA's that could step up to the plate. Brad Wall might also be a good choice as well.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:08 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Hopefully someone more likeable. Are Ann Coulter or Sean Hannity willing to become Canadian?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:44 AM

I'd like to see Brad Wall take the Tory reigns from Harper. The man has been a fantastic leader for Saskatchewan and I think he'd be well received on the national stage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada