HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I actually really like Poilievre. He's young, smart, brash, and driven; I think seeing him as leader would be really fun!
Like having a pet rabid weasel would be fun. Seriously, I find him smug, dangerously hyperpartisan and eccentric. Dresses well, however.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 8:45 PM
Volatile Pacivist

^ But I wonder how much of that is him carving out a niche by recognizing and responding to the conditions in the current cabinet.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 8:47 PM

Quote:
^ But I wonder how much of that is him carving out a niche by recognizing and responding to the conditions in the current cabinet.
You mean maybe the persona is fake? Shades of John Baird!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 8:49 PM
Volatile Pacivist

You just never know about these things lol.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 9:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
With the Canadian population in general becoming older, more crotchety and more set in their ways at the same time. The baby boom will ensure a strong Conservative Party for decades to come.
Our olds are all Liberal in rural areas and, until Harper, had been Conservative in urban areas. That's a remnant from Confederation, when it was our Liberals in support of it. So, here at least, an aging population will just lead to ever-higher margins of victory for the Liberals in all of the rural ridings.

BUT that only lasts up until the baby boomer generation. Everyone else is, for the most part, too far removed from it for that to be their instinctual, heritage-based, unthinking political choice.

I'm curious to see how it'll all shake out. Harper has already pushed St. John's enough to say... hey, we don't agree with this shit. Why are we still voting for it? And while the city still couldn't bring itself to try Liberal again, it did go NDP - 75% so in the core. And the especially religious rural pockets of the province are all found in the ridings where Conservatives poll at 15+%, so they've switched as well, from Liberal to Conservative.

The wider population could go anywhere in a few generations. I think you'll see the split become much more varied, as it is in the Maritimes.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 10:37 PM
Fake News

Quote:
I actually really like Poilievre. He's young, smart, brash, and driven; I think seeing him as leader would be really fun!
Really? I find him to be a sniveling troll. A younger version of Paul Calandra. Basically the worst elements of the hyper partisan, dirty politics CPC. A vindictive nerd.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 10:41 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Like having a pet rabid weasel would be fun. Seriously, I find him smug, dangerously hyperpartisan and eccentric. Dresses well, however.
Exactly. Let's also not forget that he's the asshat who came up with the current ridiculous voter ID rules that heavily favour the Cons.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
Honestly , a better choice would be.....Jim Prentice . A true Red Tory and had great potential. Too bad he failed miserably during the election.

Maybe he could have a comeback to politics?
Everything that the people "say" about Harper whether true in the case of Harper or not IS in fact 100% true with regards to Prentice.

Prentice is a dictator who did what he and he alone wanted and cared nothing for the actual wishes of the people. When they did not agree with his decisions or directions? Blame the people entirely for the whole mess the province was in and take absolutely NONE of the blame onto the actual governing party whatsoever....

Prentice is 100% responsible for allowing the NDP to waltz right into a huge majority. Not only did his actions and words (look into the mirror.) manage to piss off even the hard lined conservative base in Alberta, but he also made sure to completely gut the Wildrose party right before he called for an election and make them virtually unelectable due to being in a sudden tailspin electing a new leader and having the party instantly thrown into a campaign WAY before they had a chance to recoup.

Prentice was an idiot. I hate having the NDP in power at a time like this and they are NOT helping the provinces economic woes at all so far, but Prentice was an idiot and to this day I am glad as hell he got soundly beaten. The party that the Alberta PCs had devolved into needed a swift kick in the ass, and that is exactly what the Alberta people gave them. Hopefully they learn from it.

The federal PCs are absolutely nothing like what the Alberta PC party became and Harper is nothing like that idiot Prentice. I hope he looks in the mirror every morning for the rest of his life and realize how much HE screwed up.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:05 PM

Fuck Pierre Pollievre...why does my home province produce such dirtbags?

https://youtu.be/b9aJKDqqP4A

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:29 PM
Starring as himself

James Moore or Jason Kenney would be the most obvious ones, unless Peter MacKay's departure was some sort of strategic play. Maxime Bernier? Michael Chong? I wonder if ex-CFL commissioner Larry Smith might consider it ... he almost won a Montreal seat last time.

On the other hand, Joe Clark is only 76. Win it again and he'd surpass Sir John A. and Mackenzie King, becoming the only leader to lead a major party in five different decades.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Peter McKay's departure was most definitely a strategic ploy. He will be back once the carnage is over, but he won't be the next Conservative leader. He will run for the leadership in 6-8 years time.

I'm surprised that none of you guys reacted to my suggestion that Lisa Raitt might be up for the job. I think she's been a competent and well respected minister, and I think she got some brownie points for the way she stepped up and helped get a drunken Elizabeth May off the stage at the Parliamentary Press Association Dinner.

I've remain surprised how Elizabeth May got such a free pass from the media and from other politicians given her antics that night. I'm certain that many other politicians would have been dealt with with much more scorn and derision than she was.........

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:52 PM
ハルウララ

Kenney will go for it but he would divide, and ultimately destroy, the party. You think Harper is right-leaning? Kenney blows him out of the water. The PC element would never support him and there aren't enough so-cons left for him to win.

My money's on Brad Wall, honestly. I have a feeling he'll sneak in to an (eventual) leadership race and pick up Harper's moderate-prairie-angle.

I think it says a lot about the current state of the Conservatives when Baird, McKay, and Moore simultaneously remove themselves from politics, all of whom had some possibility of becoming leader following Harper.

Also, Bernard Lord is still floating around.

A better question for the thread is who replaces Trudeau/Mulcair following (possibly) this October. Does anyone honestly think Mulcair hangs on if they don't form government?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:

I've remain surprised how Elizabeth May got such a free pass from the media and from other politicians given her antics that night. I'm certain that many other politicians would have been dealt with with much more scorn and derision than she was.........
It may be sexist, but I think many people are still uncomfortable with women who drink to excess. And being harsh toward Elizabeth May is a bit like kicking a puppy.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:56 PM
Starring as himself

They'll have to have at least one woman, or the CBC will go berserk, so I would think Lisa Raitt would be a definite possibility. A lot will depend on who's still standing after the election (in their ridings, I mean).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:59 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
A better question for the thread is who replaces Trudeau/Mulcair following (possibly) this October. Does anyone honestly think Mulcair hangs on if they don't form government?
I doubt the Liberals could afford a leadership campaign after a poor result, although if Justin loses his seat it might be a different matter. I don't see Mulcair going anywhere ... the federal NDP's standard for retention can hardly be that you've got to form government.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:03 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I doubt the Liberals could afford a leadership campaign after a poor result, although if Justin loses his seat it might be a different matter. I don't see Mulcair going anywhere ... the federal NDP's standard for retention can hardly be that you've got to form government.
But coming off an opposition is unprecedented for the party and expectations have been high for forming government. The centralization during the campaign should be a highlight for a lot of the more Left-leaning members of the party to question the campaign's integrity and, by virtue, the leader.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:06 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:

Peter McKay's departure was most definitely a strategic ploy. He will be back once the carnage is over, but he won't be the next Conservative leader. He will run for the leadership in 6-8 years time.

I'm surprised that none of you guys reacted to my suggestion that Lisa Raitt might be up for the job. I think she's been a competent and well respected minister, and I think she got some brownie points for the way she stepped up and helped get a drunken Elizabeth May off the stage at the Parliamentary Press Association Dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It may be sexist, but I think many people are still uncomfortable with women who drink to excess. And being harsh toward Elizabeth May is a bit like kicking a puppy.
She may be a party leader, but it's a party with one seat. I don't think anyone really cares if she gets drunk once and awhile.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 7:02 PM

The standard "time to move on" or "family reasons" for an MP quitting are the old standbys but in Moore's case it was legitimate........he has a very sick son.

Kenny will certainly throw his hat in the ring but, as again proven in the last week, shoots from the mouth before thinking and it get's him into a crap load of trouble. You can certainly have your opinion but if you want to be PM you have to what to say, when to say it, and whether should say it at all.............skills he has yet to learn and due to his character I doubt he ever will.

I still think Baird might come back from the ashes.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The standard "time to move on" or "family reasons" for an MP quitting are the old standbys but in Moore's case it was legitimate........he has a very sick son.

Kenny will certainly throw his hat in the ring but, as again proven in the last week, shoots from the mouth before thinking and it get's him into a crap load of trouble. You can certainly have your opinion but if you want to be PM you have to what to say, when to say it, and whether should say it at all.............skills he has yet to learn and due to his character I doubt he ever will.

I still think Baird might come back from the ashes.
What is the incident you have in mind? I have always had the impression that Kenney knows exactly what he's saying at all times.

Baird is not bright or hard-working enough to be PM. Sorry.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 7:22 PM

So now that the race is over and Harper is very much yesterday's news, who will replace him. He will quit on election night and they will hold a leadership convention probably in 2016 but what candidates could successfully take over not only gaining the confidence of the caucus but also one who is electable?

The Tories haven't got a hop unless they try to get a major footing in Quebec and/or Ontario and appealing the right wing portion of the party that is very much Western based will not play well in more socially liberal Ontario and Quebec. The Tories also know they cannot ignore urban Canada any longer as even in Alberta, the emerging left and centrist votes are emerging in Calgary and Edmonton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada