HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
ICYMI, the Canadian Football HOF announced its 2017 inductees yesterday.

Kelvin Anderson, Anthony Calvillo, Mike O’Shea and Geroy Simon in the player category, and former Stamps president Stan Schwartz with former U. Sask coach Brian Towriss as builders.

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/03/22/call-to...class-of-2017/
That's a pretty solid class going into the Hall of Fame. I recognize all those players and grew up watching them. Man, I guess I'm getting old now!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:37 PM

Former CFL Great Larry Highbaugh Died this week. Not only do I remember the football games but also the days he would come to the school and play volleyball against a whole womens' team.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...dies-1.4036484

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 5:12 PM

Report that Calgary and Edmonton are two teams to put a bid in for the 2018 Grey Cup which excites me. The last two Grey cups 2009 & 2010 were very successful. Hopefully the CFL keeps out of Vancouver and Toronto for a long while. Hamilton continuing to not put a bid in boggles my mind. 21 Years since the last and I think a Grey cup would be very successful.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 5:26 PM

^ Tor and Van should still host it, but it can't be every few years. Clearly there is only so much demand there... they didn't wait long enough for the most recent Grey Cup games in either city.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 7:11 PM

Ya I realize that, as a fan I have no desire to see the GC back in either city any time soon. I think the reason for the 2014 GC in Van was due to the fear of Investors and the Bombers organisation not being ready in time and Van did a pretty good job given the shorter time for planning etc.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 8:08 PM

Please don't give it to Calgary. They shouldn't be allowed to host until they get a new stadium. If any of you ever sat in the crappy bleachers they set up for the last one, you'll know what I mean. They were pretty much in the parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 3:07 AM

Unless they use the GC as a way of raising funds to build a new stadium as saskatchewan did.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 4:56 PM

At the Trestman Popp new conference last month. CEO Michael Copeland admitted their current current season ticket base is only 3500 fans? Yikes that is not good at all!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
Ya I realize that, as a fan I have no desire to see the GC back in either city any time soon. I think the reason for the 2014 GC in Van was due to the fear of Investors and the Bombers organisation not being ready in time and Van did a pretty good job given the shorter time for planning etc.
Unless the league can guarantee an amazing Grey Cup experience in Vancouver (might help Bradley to sell the Lions), I agree. If the Cup is coming back to the West in two years, the year after that HAS to be in Hamilton. Pair it up with CFL Fan Week and really reward the Ti-Cat fans, they deserve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
At the Trestman Popp new conference last month. CEO Michael Copeland admitted their current current season ticket base is only 3500 fans? Yikes that is not good at all!
Before the start of last year, didn't they say that they saw a major surge in season ticket sales? I'd be afraid to see the base from a few years ago if that's the case.

The good news, though, is that the team still averaged 16K last year. So there's a solid base of prospective season ticket holders that the team will hopefully be able to seduce. It's not a rosey picture, but hopefully they can make progress this year.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:26 PM

I was listen the the radio this morning when they were at the Lions Waterboys breakfast and I can picture a day soon when Geroy Simon is the Lions GM and Travis Lulay is the coach. Both are passionate, smart, have established roots locally and bleed orange!

Would be great for the Lions and the league to take the torch from Wally

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:01 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

TSN reporting that Ed Hervey is out as GM of the Eskimos

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:02 PM

^ What's up with that?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:16 PM

I wonder if this was Herveys reluctance to connect with the media, open the lockers rooms etc.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
I wonder if this was Herveys reluctance to connect with the media, open the lockers rooms etc.
Apparently... who exactly is calling the shots in Edmonton, the press gallery? I don't think there has ever been a dumber reason given for axing a Grey Cup winning GM.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3363953/ed...mos-ed-hervey/

Quote:
Speaking at Commonwealth Stadium Friday morning, Eskimos CEO Len Rhodes said the decision came down to philosophical differences over access to the team, and contract negotiation issues.

“During the course of recent negotiations for a possible contract extension, it became clear that we would be unable to meet Ed’s expectations,” Rhodes said.

“As far as the philosophical differences, they were primarily related to stakeholder access to our club.
Good day to be a Rider fan.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:10 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Report from TSN's Dave Naylor that CFL Commissioner Jeffery Orridge will step down today.

EDIT - Story now posted on TSN.ca
http://www.tsn.ca/orridge-steps-down...ioner-1.722497
Quote:

Orridge steps down as CFL Commissioner
TSN.ca Staff

The CFL announced Wednesday that Jeffrey Orridge is stepping down as commissioner with an effective date of June 30.

“In his time with the CFL, Jeffrey worked tirelessly to promote player health and safety, the integrity of the League on and off the field, and the values of diversity and inclusion,” Jim Lawson, Chair, CFL said in a league release. “Jeffrey played an important role in developing the league’s strategic plan which has, in a short time, helped to elevate some key metrics that underpin the health of the league.”

TSN's Dave Naylor reports the decision is believed to be a mutual agreement to part ways, with the understanding that through two years, it hasn't been a good fit.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:38 PM

Finally!

Back the Brinks truck up to Cohon's house and bring him back! He was so good for the league.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 4:38 PM
arf

Wow, ,Orridge did not last long. Agreed with bringing back Cohon if possible. He was one of the best things to happen to the league in recent memory.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:13 PM

Wow, I was hoping Orridge would hit his stride and redeem himself, but he has proven to be a bit of a bust. What a stark contrast from Cohon.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:51 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Replacement has to be a good one - critical juncture for the league I think.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 7:10 PM

SJ Greene to Toronto for a 6th rounder???????

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada