HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Acajack (and others) - not sure if you ski or not, however "paper" stats can be very misleading. I've skied every hill you listed (plus Stowe, Smugglers, MsA, Sutton, Bromont, Owls Head, Saveur, all the Ottawa hills), all the big hills in the Rockies, most of the interior (not Red though ) and now I'm getting to know Whistler.

Again, stats of paper cannot compare with real life. Case in point for Iceface, that 965m vertical is very missleading for while you can ski it, you will skate, cross greens, and many times die up top on the ice. As for Killington, the mtn has the 1000m vertical, but you can't ski it since its like a rollercoster. Massif is probably the closest, but even still, the steeps aren't the full height.

Don't get me wrong - I love skiing out east and have many great memories (Sutton is still the gold standard for glades) but I've never heard of anyone from Vancouver flying to Montreal to go skiing, whereas every day I've been to Whistler this year I've meet tourists visiting from QC, NY, MA, etc.

Anyway, this is a muggs game - we should all live where we want and enjoy the things that are available ... or move to a place that suits us better. Live is short and then you die. Arguing about which city is best won't change that.

PS> Acajack - not saying you were arguing, just a global statement.
Thanks for the tip on Mont Sutton! I'm going to have to go there. I love boarding in Glades. I go to Vail regularly and absolutely love doing the glades in the back bowls.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Since we're killing time until tomorrow, as an x-country skier I've always thought Ottawa was the bee's knees ... and now with SJAM I think it has run away from the pack.

If you live in Ottawa, get out on the trail!

Dovercourt CC
What an amazing idea. Ottawa was already the city where you could skate to work, and now I guess you can x-country ski there too!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Really??? If you read my posts you will see I am very positive of the QC hills. That said, if everything was equal (and it never is) if one wants to live in a "big" city and you are a real ski hound (or perhaps a shred dog**), Vancouver (Whistler) and Calgary (Sunshine, Louise) would be better places to live than Montreal.

Anyway, I know in your eyes Mtrl (and QC) is "great" - which is awesome since that is where you live.

** this shreddog is not in Vancouver cause of Whistler, but it's definitely nice benefit.
Whistler is a bonus for Vancouver, you guys are lucky.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:57 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo View Post
Thanks for the tip on Mont Sutton! I'm going to have to go there. I love boarding in Glades. I go to Vail regularly and absolutely love doing the glades in the back bowls.
Hope you get a good snow day if you go ... there is something about skiing through mature maples.

Edit - added a link:
Here's a good article on the hill (and the town).

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 4:00 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo View Post
What an amazing idea. Ottawa was already the city where you could skate to work, and now I guess you can x-country ski there too!
Not quite ski to work (unless you live in Westboro at work at the War museum), but it's about 200 m from the O-train station to the trails. I know people who live in south keys and take the train to going skiing. Lucky!

BTW, it's a real interesting story as to how the SJAM happened and the timing was perfect - NCC vs LRT, crowdsourcing, a good deal on a track a machine and the right personality to bring it all together.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 4:19 AM
Rational urbanist

I actually don't like Whistler all that much. It's so busy, the 30 minute lineups just don't make up for the trails. Especially when going down those trails sometimes feels similar to going down the stairs from a SkyTrain station. It's all about the low-key resorts in the interior!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 4:58 AM
BANNED

It's no wonder there are no women on this "My dick is bigger than yours" site!

Of course the ultimate skiing is available in the Rockies.. duh.. but unless you're a top tier, Olympic caliber skier, the best QC hills will be way beyond your pathetic capabilities.

Carry on Boys, live vicariously! (and be sure to post lots of internet photos)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 5:16 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTowner View Post

Of course the ultimate skiing is available in the Rockies.. duh.. but unless you're a top tier, Olympic caliber skier, the best QC hills will be way beyond your pathetic capabilities.

Don't be too sure about the best skiing is in the Rockies as B.C. has some wonderful resorts - Kicking Horse just outside of Golden is amazing. Whistler/Blackcomb comes to mind as well plus many, many others ski hills in B.C..

Edit: BTW, I went skiing for the first time in 30 years at Sunshine this past weekend and by the end of the day did a couple of black diamond runs.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 5:22 AM
BANNED

Skiing in Canada

Quote:

Lol everything I ever hear about BC sounds like some over achievers paradise, and just totally boring to everyone else.

If you sleep with a girl that is so hot that you had to ride a unicycle over a trampoline to get her number, it doesn't sound "fun"

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 5:28 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Lol everything I ever hear about BC sounds like some over achievers paradise, and just totally boring to everyone else.

If you sleep with a girl that is so hot that you had to ride a unicycle over a trampoline to get her number, it doesn't sound "fun"
No, people here just take it for granted.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 5:39 AM

Gonna dip my toe into this cringey thread

One does not need to be a pro skier to enjoy getting lost within a vast seemingly-limitless mountainous terrain hidden behind a metropolis at the edge of the world. In fact it's easier for beginners because there's room to create your own path at any desired slope.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 5:40 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Don't be too sure about the best skiing is in the Rockies as B.C. has some wonderful resorts - Kicking Horse just outside of Golden is amazing. Whistler/Blackcomb comes to mind as well plus many, many others ski hills in B.C..
Don't mean to speak on behalf of OutOfTowner, but many people in eastern Canada consider all the mtns between Calgary and Vancouver as "The Rockies". (If that is not what he meant, I do apologize for making this assumption)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Edit: BTW, I went skiing for the first time in 30 years at Sunshine this past weekend and by the end of the day did a couple of black diamond runs.
Lucky you went this past weekend. The previous 2 were brutal - lack of snow does that. I'll be there next weekend so hopefully more snow falls into DD!

Last edited by shreddog; Feb 8, 2017 at 6:08 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 6:05 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post

You are welcome to your opinion. I am certain B.C. is not for everyone. You can chose to live in your own world. I am sure it is a good world for you.

Your opinions can have facts for you also. But if you look at that pretty girl and say she is not worth it. Perhaps, you made a mistake. Your, opinion was merely based on your insecurity.

You just might find that if you are open to your girlfriends idea of coming to B.C. Perhaps, you just might enjoy yourself.

You do not even have to tell anyone if you do not want too.

I myself have never been to Atlantic Canada but really wish to go. I am certain I will have a great time.

My question for you is why do you have such a perception if you have never been?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 6:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Gonna dip my toe into this cringey thread

One does not need to be a pro skier to enjoy getting lost within a vast seemingly-limitless mountainous terrain tucked behind a metropolis at the edge of the world. In fact it's easier for beginners because there's room to create your own path at any desired slope.
Ahhhhh! It's as if you can simply ski right into the DTES, shed your skis, do a hit, fend off a few junkies, take a bus to the ferry, cross over to the Island, cross the Island, then be at the End Of The World.. head over to the next End Of The World and suddenly realise.. End of The World's are simply coastlines and all who live on coastlines think that they're at "The End Of The World". All billion or so of them.

Ahhhhh!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 6:16 AM

There are a lot of overrated things about BC but nature is certainly not one of them. Not that other parts of Canada don't have amazing natural beauty, but the sheer area covered by dynamic landscapes and myriad outdoor activities is unsurpassed by any other province or territory (though the Yukon comes close). This isn't to discount Gaspesie or Mont-Tremblant or Thousand Islands, which are all stunners and up there with BC's nature in quality, but more that the sheer breadth and scale isn't matched despite other provinces having great natural options. It may be hyped up, but I'd say it's the one thing about BC that does live up to the hype. This is true whether you're in Vancouver, Princeton, Smithers, or Courtenay. The only part this is not really applicable is the Peace Region, which is a relatively small area of the province.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 6:16 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Ahhhhh! It's as if you can simply ski right into the DTES, shed your skis, do a hit, fend off a few junkies, take a bus to the ferry, cross over to the Island, cross the Island, then be at the End Of The World.. head over to the next End Of The World and suddenly realise.. End of The World's are simply coastlines and all who live on coastlines think that they're at "The End Of The World". All billion or so of them.

Ahhhhh!
Again a great exaggeration of someones opinion. My question is have you been to these places that you have mentioned? If so then you would understand why most people would see this as silly!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 6:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post
Again a great exaggeration of someones opinion. My question is have you been to these places that you have mentioned? If so then you would understand why most people would see this as silly!
I've lived on both coasts (and a couple of others) and I have to admit that the first time I looked at the ocean I had the 'end of the world' feeling. I got over it when I was on the opposite side of the previous 'end of the world' and understood that I was simply facing the other side of a 'large body of water'. Like being on the shore of any Great Lake. You know, can't see the other side therefore end of the world, blah blah blah, etc, etc, etc.

There is an end to the world but to see it, you have to look up, not out.

Last edited by OutOfTowner; Feb 8, 2017 at 7:00 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 7:44 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'll have to disagree, I've been a pretty avid skier for a good while, I did go to Whistler and Blackcomb with my sis (I've also skied in most of the mountains in the Northeast) and I've felt it was big way past the point of diminishing returns. No point in having all that area accessible if a fraction of it suffices for a full day.

We tried to make the most out of such a famous mountain so we focused a bit more on exploring (trying to check the "been there" box for the most areas) than we should have, and in the end, though it was a very nice day, it did not come close to the best days I've had at a place like, say, Jay Peak, where I'm familiar with the trails and glades and will not waste any time in trails I'm not interested in.

JMO, obviously, and I swear I'm not saying this to be negative about Vancouver. I've been to the Alps (in summer, and haven't skied) and I am pretty sure I would feel the same about the bigger mountains - pointlessly big for only one day on the slopes.
I am not what you would call an avid downhill skier at all, but I see things this way as well.

My impression's always been that your average one-day outing on the slopes is often more slim on the number of runs you do than one realizes. What with all the time spent waiting in line for the lifts and then going up the hill.

I am sure some of the more experienced skiers out there will tell me I'm full of it, but to me Whistler is more worth it as a destination you explore over several days, or even longer.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 1:10 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
There are a lot of overrated things about BC but nature is certainly not one of them. Not that other parts of Canada don't have amazing natural beauty, but the sheer area covered by dynamic landscapes and myriad outdoor activities is unsurpassed by any other province or territory (though the Yukon comes close). This isn't to discount Gaspesie or Mont-Tremblant or Thousand Islands, which are all stunners and up there with BC's nature in quality, but more that the sheer breadth and scale isn't matched despite other provinces having great natural options. It may be hyped up, but I'd say it's the one thing about BC that does live up to the hype. This is true whether you're in Vancouver, Princeton, Smithers, or Courtenay. The only part this is not really applicable is the Peace Region, which is a relatively small area of the province.
And how does a prairie type of region like the Peace not have amazing natural beauty? You need to get out more often because the prairies have a beauty that many never take the time to discover or see - natural beauty isn't all about water, mountains and trees.

BTW and on topic, 20 minutes.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 1:22 PM

I have never skied in the Rockies (or whatever the BC part is called). But I skied a few times in the Alps and it struck me how high the snow line is. For this very reason, even though mountains are much bigger than in Quebec, I didn't feel like there was much of a difference in the actual snow-covered prominence in the Alps vs the tallest mountains in Quebec and the US Northeast. It took longer to go down the mountain from the summit to the very bottom of the slopes (altitude at the bottom is usually 1,000 m to 1,500 m), but it probably didn't take more than an extra 10 min to do so. Many ski resorts in the Alps have lower or comparable prominence to mountains in QC/US Northeast.

I always thought that downplaying the skiing conditions out East was a bit of an exaggeration, at least coming from my friends in Europe. It is true that the difference is major with the largest, highest ski resorts though (most ski resorts in BC and AB seem to be huge, contrarily to the Alps where they coexist with many smaller resorts).

Edit: Just noticed my post was moved from the Statistics thread to here, fair enough!

Edit 2: Looking back at the first posts in this thread, I must say that the one thing the largest mountains out East lack is the vast expanses above the tree line without any obstacle.

Last edited by le calmar; Feb 8, 2017 at 1:45 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada