HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post
You just might find that if you are open to your girlfriends idea of coming to B.C. Perhaps, you just might enjoy yourself.

You do not even have to tell anyone if you do not want too.

I myself have never been to Atlantic Canada but really wish to go. I am certain I will have a great time.

My question for you is why do you have such a perception if you have never been?
Looking at stats, news from the region, knowing people who are from or who have lived there.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:56 PM

The title of this thread is grossly inappropriate, should instead read "Skiing within reasonable distances of Canadian cities". Out of all the nearby ski stations in Sherbrooke, my favorite place to go by far was Jay Peak (which back then was the gold standard for glades and had great bang for the buck).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 4:25 PM

Looking to go to Fernie this weekend, hope they still have a lot of that snowfall left! Never ridden Whistler (except on a mountain bike) would love to go there but it's likely not in the cards this season.

Do they do mountain biking at any of the ski hills out east in the summer?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I am sure some of the more experienced skiers out there will tell me I'm full of it, but to me Whistler is more worth it as a destination you explore over several days, or even longer.
This is actually quite understandable, it's a very overwhelming mountain and you really can't appreciate it in a day or two. I would imagine the same is true of the alps, though I've never skied there.

This is why Whistler is such a great mountain to have at your back door though. I've been skiing Whistler literally since before I can remember and there are still runs I've yet to go down. There's always something new to explore even if you've been up a hundred times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Edit 2: Looking back at the first posts in this thread, I must say that the one thing the largest mountains out East lack is the vast expanses above the tree line without any obstacle.
For most advanced skiers this is where they spend most of their time, the terrain is often much more technical open/liberating. This is is definitely my biggest gripe with skiing out east. The size of the mountains is tough, but I'd take a 500 acre mountain of pure alpine vs a 5,000 acre mountain of cut runs. When I'm skiing Whistler my day is about 90% in the bowls and piste and 10% in the groomers/tree line.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
no, it just proves that you don't need to go far away to be successful. Our hills are not comparable to Whistler, but we can still produce world-class athletes. Whistler is very popular for tourists but is inaccessible for most people here, too far away. The majority of people here will ski in Quebec. they wont leave the province for the most part.
I've always found it interesting, but I think the reason Quebec produces the best skiiers is because of mountains, not in spite of it.

If you're a good skier you would be quite bored skiing most mountains out east, therefore in order to challenge yourself you race.

In BC/Alberta there is no end to the challenge posed by the mountain, your challenge is met in the backcountry and alpine, not on the race course, so very few end up racing. I honestly don't know a single one of my friends growing up who did ski racing, it's just not a thing out west, but they are all excellent skiers/boarders.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Looking to go to Fernie this weekend, hope they still have a lot of that snowfall left! Never ridden Whistler (except on a mountain bike) would love to go there but it's likely not in the cards this season.

I have raced at Mont St Anne and Bromont in the past so I suspect they do.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Bromont does for sure, it's actually pretty well known for that; I think Orford does too. Outside my neck of the woods (Eastern Townships), I have no idea.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

For most advanced skiers this is where they spend most of their time, the terrain is often much more technical open/liberating. This is is definitely my biggest gripe with skiing out east. The size of the mountains is tough, but I'd take a 500 acre mountain of pure alpine vs a 5,000 acre mountain of cut runs. When I'm skiing Whistler my day is about 90% in the bowls and piste and 10% in the groomers/tree line.
Advanced snowboarders split our time between the high alpine and the trees off the cut runs, so a good mountain should have a mix of both. Just spent the weekend in Castle, and while they just get above the tree line, they have a couple great bowls that drop right into some really nice glades that tighten up into proper tree runs. Fernie is my favourite for this, we typically take the Whitepass chair up, hike up to the Knot Chutes, then traverse over to the tree runs, makes for about a 1 hour loop, absolute heaven!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:

Yes mountain biking is offered at a lot of resorts in the east, probably most of them. Much like in the west, eastern ski hills have been turning themselves into 4 season resorts for some time.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 7:44 PM
Beer me Captain

Awesome! We got rid of those damn Statscan distractions from a ski thread!!

I'm gonna weigh in one last time on comparisons - I love skiing in the east as that is where I learned to ski. That said, comparing the best of the east to the big mtns in the west would be like comparing the urban fabric of Quebec City to Montreal. Both are great and you could spend a lifetime crawling through Quebec City and be happy. Montreal's urban fabric may not be better, but it will be bigger.

JUST TO BE CLEAR - I am not disparaging Montreal, Quebec or any ski hills anywhere, just trying to give an analogy (likely a poor one) for those not really into skiing.

Now that said, there are things out west that the east doesn't really provide, and bowls/above tree line skiing is obviously one HOWEVER if you love backcountry skiing, the Chic-Chocs are incredible. It's where I learned to backcountry and while not the same vertical as out west, it's pretty freaking good!!!

This is the area where I first learned how to skin up (and yes it's in QC)

link

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 7:53 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
The title of this thread is grossly inappropriate, should instead read "Skiing within reasonable distances of Canadian cities". Out of all the nearby ski stations in Sherbrooke, my favorite place to go by far was Jay Peak (which back then was the gold standard for glades and had great bang for the buck).
As I said earlier I have tried Jay many times and always had back luck. I did find it crazy though how it seemed more like the local hill to Montreal (at least in the 90's) than Tremblant. But then again, it was more the "resort" than the Giant back then (before the doctors sold out to Intrawest.)

I don't remember the glades there though - have you skied Sutton? I'm taking my son there this March and if Jay is better, we may try that. And please tell me they're better than the birch glades at Tremblant.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 7:57 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
I've always found it interesting, but I think the reason Quebec produces the best skiiers is because of mountains, not in spite of it.

If you're a good skier you would be quite bored skiing most mountains out east, therefore in order to challenge yourself you race.
While I think that there is some truth to this, I also think that overall the conditions are more demanding out east. Without sounding like I am saying anything disparaging, out east tends to be icier. Anyone who learned to ski there always chuckles the first time they hear people complaining about ice at a western hill. While the difference is less pronounced today with the massive improvements in grooming technology, it still is there. As such IMHO skiers out east tend to push themselves faster to ski the hard conditions and overall tend be better on dodgy slopes. So when the conditions are nice, they know how to really push the envelope.

Or not

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 8:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:

In BC/Alberta there is no end to the challenge posed by the mountain, your challenge is met in the backcountry and alpine, not on the race course, so very few end up racing. I honestly don't know a single one of my friends growing up who did ski racing, it's just not a thing out west, but they are all excellent skiers/boarders.
Red Mountain just down the road in Rossland BC has long been a source of Canadian ski racers including Nancy Greene. It may also help that it was the first ski hill in Canada. And it has the oldest continuous winter carnival in the country that place loves winter haha!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
That looks pretty good, especially that big bowl on the left!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 9:52 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Red Mountain just down the road in Rossland BC has long been a source of Canadian ski racers including Nancy Greene. It may also help that it was the first ski hill in Canada.
I've always wanted to ski Red and am not up to speed on its history, but Chalet Cochand is generally considered the first, and therefore oldest ski hill/resort, in North America and had Canada's first lift.

EDIT
Cool - according to the Red website, they are claiming that the first race was held there in 1896!
Quote:
The Scandinavians brought with them their knowledge and love of skiing and soon organized the Rossland Ski Club, which held the first recorded ski competitions in Canada . The first downhill race was held on Feb. 15, 1896, from the top of RED Mountain down the south side to the present location of the Rossland Historical Museum.
Given that they blame the Scandinavians, they may be onto something!

Last edited by shreddog; Feb 8, 2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Added RED info

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 11:16 PM
See ya down under, mates

I proposed to my wife on the balcony at Westin Whistler. One of my fav places on earth.

My high school was so close to Grouse (5 minute bus ride) that we had a ski team.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
While I think that there is some truth to this, I also think that overall the conditions are more demanding out east. Without sounding like I am saying anything disparaging, out east tends to be icier. Anyone who learned to ski there always chuckles the first time they hear people complaining about ice at a western hill. While the difference is less pronounced today with the massive improvements in grooming technology, it still is there. As such IMHO skiers out east tend to push themselves faster to ski the hard conditions and overall tend be better on dodgy slopes. So when the conditions are nice, they know how to really push the envelope.

Or not
This definitly true. Sometimes in Quebec you'd be better off wearing a pair of skates than skis. I've skied a few of the big boys in Quebec (le Massif, Tremblant, Orford, Ste. Anne) and also Lake Placid, NY and Whistler.

Ontario is obviously pitiful for skiing, the places some people ski at I just have to shake my head. Like what is the point even? That said you can get a decent run at Blue Mountain. I haven't tried Calabogie peaks better apparently it's ok. The private ski club beside Blue Mountain looks alright also but I haven't tried that obviously. What really annoys me about Blue Mountain is that there is a road traversing the peak so it doesn't reach its full potential and in Ontario we can see any extra height we can.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 12:03 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Ontario is obviously pitiful for skiing, the places some people ski at I just have to shake my head. Like what is the point even? That said you can get a decent run at Blue Mountain.
Ah Blue - how I hate you! I skied there "a lot" in the 80's and 90's before they did the big high speed lift investment. At that time they would have entertainers (bands and comedians) at the lifts on the weekends - unbelievable. Don't know what it's like now, nor what the delays are at the border, but the last few years there we abandoned Blue on the weekends for Bristol Valley just south of Rochester. It was about twice the drive time, but it was than twice the mountain and a fun place to spend the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I haven't tried Calabogie peaks better apparently it's ok.
It is better, it wouldn't be by much - really at that height all th steeps will be the same and it does have way less runs ... and crowds. If you're gonna drive that far, I'd consider hitting Mont Ste Marie, though it's not that much closer to Cobourg than Tremblant.

IMHO, Ontario's best hills were in T Bay ... but that was a long time ago

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 12:06 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
That looks pretty good, especially that big bowl on the left!
Mt. Albert was awesome - a great place to learn. That said, it was quite the trek from Ottawa. Made Calgary to Burstall Pass feel like a drive to the suburbs! Though the upside was it turned every visit into a week long trip to make it worth while!

FWIW, for those that wish to compare vertical at resorts - here is a great website as they calculate "real" skiable vertical as opposed to resort advertised vertical:

mountainvertical

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada