HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
You need a credit check and ID to sign a contract for a cell phone. When you stop and think about it there are so many things that became very difficult or impossible to do without ID, a bank account, and a credit file.. things most of us take for granted.
Surely if you can plan, execute and survive a Minnesota/Manitoba border hopping in winter, you are resourceful enough to manage to buy a used cell phone on kijiji -- no credit needed -- and buy prepaid minutes for it -- no credit needed.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 6:45 PM

These people are NOT, under any definition, refugees. They are welfare shopping and nothing more and openly flaunting the law both in letter and spirit.

US refugee laws have not changed one bit since Trump power so their fears of being deported without due process is a completely lie. They should be sent to the nearest border crossing and kept for a day to fill out the legally required forms and then tossed over the border and permanently barred from the country.

These people get no empathy from me and it's only the immigration lawyers who spout otherwise as their lively hoods depend on it.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
These people are NOT, under any definition, refugees. They are welfare shopping and nothing more and openly flaunting the law both in letter and spirit.

US refugee laws have not changed one bit since Trump power so their fears of being deported without due process is a completely lie. They should be sent to the nearest border crossing and kept for a day to fill out the legally required forms and then tossed over the border and permanently barred from the country.

These people get no empathy from me and it's only the immigration lawyers who spout otherwise as their lively hoods depend on it.

I think we already understood your lack of empathy. What you really need to deal with is your tendency to create alternate juridical universes to provide solutions to the issue that has you so agitated. I can only point out that Canada's refugee determination system, not you, will decide which of these people are and are not refugees. And the sun will come up tomorrow...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 2:22 AM
BANNED

It's nice to spend your days in a comfortable world where you rest assured in the knowledge that you're better informed than others who might disagree with you, until one day you wake up to the reality that THEIR VOTES COUNT JUST AS MUCH AS YOURS ANYWAY.

Funny, I thought this message would have gotten through loud and clear with Trump's election. Guess not...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
BTW, 1overcosc, I believe, if I recall the configuration of your property in Kingston, that you could also be renting to an undocumented Emersonian border jumper without any issue tomorrow... something I could not do in any of my American properties (there would be zero reason for me to accept to do something as unheard of as keeping electrical service to my name; just the request would sound really fishy and weird).
Yeah.. my property is a 1950s era SFH that has been renovated into 6 bedrooms sharing a common kitchen/living area. Each bedroom is leased separately.

Because I live in one of the bedrooms as well, my tenants are also my roommates. This actually gives me a huge advantage in Ontario rental laws.. my tenants are legally "boarders" rather than "tenants" which means I can evict them whenever I want with no notice, no bureaucratic delays, and almost no paperwork (boarders are more or less completely uncovered by Ontario tenant protection laws). For this reason I'm not particularly strict about vetting for things like credit checks.. but I'd still be reluctant to rent to someone who wanted to pay in cash. I ask my tenants to pay me in postdated cheques, generally, I find its the most convenient.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
It's nice to spend your days in a comfortable world where you rest assured in the knowledge that you're better informed than others who might disagree with you, until one day you wake up to the reality that THEIR VOTES COUNT JUST AS MUCH AS YOURS ANYWAY.

Funny, I thought this message would have gotten through loud and clear with Trump's election. Guess not...
I suspect that everyone has gotten the message. Where views differ would be in terms of what to do about it, or even whether anything can, or should, be done about it in a hot-wired world where numbers matter more than (or, rather, to the exclusion of) expertise or traditional social conventions.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Mar 25, 2017 at 3:50 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 4:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I suspect that everyone has gotten the message. Where views differ would be in terms of what to do about it, or even whether anything can, or should, be done about it in a hot-wired world where numbers matter more than (or, rather, to the exclusion of) expertise or traditional social conventions.
This is a fundamental issue in every democratic society. Education can help but often education starts to reflect the prevailing values of those in power or those in academia. Then it becomes propaganda and those under it's sway are said to be brainwashed. Eventually such a system collapses on its own, but a lot of people might be hurt as a consequence. Luckily, humanity has progressed to the point that most of those hurt by such a sea change in thinking will only be hurt emotionally or financially.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Yeah.. my property is a 1950s era SFH that has been renovated into 6 bedrooms sharing a common kitchen/living area. Each bedroom is leased separately.

Because I live in one of the bedrooms as well, my tenants are also my roommates. This actually gives me a huge advantage in Ontario rental laws.. my tenants are legally "boarders" rather than "tenants" which means I can evict them whenever I want with no notice, no bureaucratic delays, and almost no paperwork (boarders are more or less completely uncovered by Ontario tenant protection laws). For this reason I'm not particularly strict about vetting for things like credit checks.. but I'd still be reluctant to rent to someone who wanted to pay in cash. I ask my tenants to pay me in postdated cheques, generally, I find its the most convenient.
In Quebec your roommates would legally be full-fledged tenants, BTW.

And for that very reason, an undocumented illegal who just hopped the border near Emerson (and who can pay, obviously) would actually be a dream tenant for any landlord such a building in Quebec -- absolute easiest case if you ever have to evict him.

And since he would be fully aware he's undocumented, you can be sure he'd always behave. The perfect tenant

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 7:41 PM

It strikes me as a good thing, lio, that you are not employing foreign seasonal workers.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:06 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I heard an interesting Radio-Canada report today.

They sent a reporter to cover issues at the US-Mexico border, and the dude was all surprised to find a bunch of undocumented Haitian migrants in... Tijuana, Mexico.

What was even more surprising was that they came to Mexico by way of Brazil.

I have no idea how they ended up in Brazil but in any event they migrated all the way north in the hopes of entering the US via Mexico.

Under Obama they would have gotten in under a special provision but Trump shut the door on that.

Apparently some of the Haitians are going to stay put and try their luck in Mexico, which has lots of problems but is still better than Haiti.

Others will try to enter the US no matter what. And some are going to try and make their way to Canada.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I heard an interesting Radio-Canada report today.

They sent a reporter to cover issues at the US-Mexico border, and the dude was all surprised to find a bunch of undocumented Haitian migrants in... Tijuana, Mexico.

What was even more surprising was that they came to Mexico by way of Brazil.

I have no idea how they ended up in Brazil but in any event they migrated all the way north in the hopes of entering the US via Mexico.

Under Obama they would have gotten in under a special provision but Trump shut the door on that.

Apparently some of the Haitians are going to stay put and try their luck in Mexico, which has lots of problems but is still better than Haiti.

Others will try to enter the US no matter what. And some are going to try and make their way to Canada.
There has, for a number of years now, been a steady stream of U.S.-bound migrants who start their land journey in Brazil or Ecuador (countries they can reach without a visa). Haitians are in the news at the moment, since they've been stopped at the Mexican border, but these migrants come from any number of Asian and African countries. When I lived in Panama, you'd often hear about groups of migrants crossing the Darien Gap by foot, arriving in the first town and asking where they could find a taxi to take them to Panama City. They tend to be "detained" in each country along their route, but then released with an instruction to report back in a couple of weeks. Not surprisingly, they never do.....

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Haiti-Brazil-northern South America-Central America-Mexico-USA seems an awfully circuitous route to get the promised land.

I wonder how this happened. Apparently there will be a longer report on Radio-Canada's Sunday morning news magazine show. I may listen in as I quite curious about why this is the route they took.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Haiti-Brazil-northern South America-Central America-Mexico-USA seems an awfully circuitous route to get the promised land.

I wonder how this happened. Apparently there will be a longer report on Radio-Canada's Sunday morning news magazine show. I may listen in as I quite curious about why this is the route they took.
Because they can ....

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Because they can ....
I realize that but it just seems to me there are many easier routes to take.

Perhaps they got accepted under some form of status in Brazil at some point, but things went sour there for them.

Because we're talking about a couple thousand Haitians in Tijuana, not a couple dozen.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:10 PM

Quote:

Perhaps they got accepted under some form of status in Brazil at some point, but things went sour there for them.

Because we're talking about a couple thousand Haitians in Tijuana, not a couple dozen.
Nope. It's the easiest route. The seemingly obvious alternatives (for Haitians) would see them returned to the island. I say this not knowing whether Haitians require a visa to travel to Mexico or whether there are direct flights (I'm assuming they do and that there are not). Not all of this traffic is northwards, by the way - Argentina has a small but growing population of Haitian and African migrants.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

So the ocean route from Haiti to Miami is a no-go now?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:14 PM

Quote:

That could be a factor, given the prolonged recession that Brazil has experienced in recent years.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:22 PM

Colombia is closer to Haiti than Brazil is, so I find that surprising. I assume that for some reason it is cheaper/more feasible to take a boat to Brazil.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 3:55 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:47 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Travelling from Brazil to Colombia, from Colombia through Central America into Mexico is not that difficult, very little border control and passport inspection on domestic flights. It would take them a couple days really. We live in the 21st century, travel is easy within low immigration countries.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada