HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:00 PM

Soldiers...with guns...(well not really)

Certain citizens of Toronto cover themselves in glory.

http://www.citynews.ca/2017/03/21/to...ary-exercises/
Video Link

Now since I have been handling weapons since I was 10 I shake my head at people who freak out when they just see a pistol or rifle. But c'mon folks, these are Canadian soldiers, in their uniforms, with a bright red Canadian flag on the shoulder, marching in formation, with the lead and following soldiers wearing reflective safety vests!
Cripes they are your friends and neighbours doing a civic duty!

As for the worry about trigger warnings. Well what better way for immigrants and refugees to overcome those feelings than to see our citizen soldiers walking through an urban area, doing their training and it is all very peaceful and calm.

Anyway, it would be nice if people would just think for two seconds before losing their minds.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post

Well what better way for immigrants and refugees to overcome those feelings than to see our citizen soldiers walking through an urban area, doing their training and it is all very peaceful and calm.

Anyway, it would be nice if people would just think for two seconds before losing their minds.

Wow, you're kidding right? If I was walking through a park at night and spotted a bunch of guys in uniform running around with weapons I'd be a little freaked out myself. The public should have been notified better. I can only image if a new Canadian who has come here from a war torn nation might think the worse or if nothing else it might trigger painful memories or emotions.

"Anyway, it would be nice if people would just think for two seconds before losing their minds"

No it would be nice if the authorities would just think for two seconds before making a bone headed decision.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:13 PM
the first stamp is free

^ we had about 30 or 40 armed soldiers in fatigues and gear jogging down our street early in the evening last week.

I thought it was cool, called the kids over to see it... I mean, they were obviously training.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Wow, you're kidding right? If I was walking through a park at night and spotted a bunch of guys in uniform running around with weapons I'd be a little freaked out myself. The public should have been notified better. I can only image if a new Canadian who has come here from a war torn nation might think the worse or if nothing else it might trigger painful memories or emotions.

"Anyway, it would be nice if people would just think for two seconds before losing their minds"

No it would be nice if the authorities would just think for two seconds before making a bone headed decision.
And my point was proven.
BTW, the soldiers were doing their Battlefield Fitness Test, which is a march with full pack and (since they are in the city) rubber rifle.

Also they weren't running around in a park, they were marching down the sidewalk in formation, not practicing trench assaults.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:30 PM

I wonder if anyone who saw the soldiers actually felt distressed or uncomfortable as a result, or was it only people who seem to enjoy being indignant that spoke up?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:

Also they weren't running around in a park, they were marching down the sidewalk in formation, not practicing trench assaults.

Did you even read the article? I mean it's in the first few sentances lol. And why is this a thread worthy topic?

"It turns out the soldiers were engaged in military training exercises with rubber rifles at Coronation Park east of Ontario Place"

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Did you even read the article? I mean it's in the first few sentances lol. And why is this a thread worthy topic?

"It turns out the soldiers were engaged in military training exercises with rubber rifles at Coronation Park east of Ontario Place"
Were they conducting section attacks against bunkers in Coronation Park? Nope, they were MARCHING IN FORMATION at Coronation Park. Big difference.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:01 PM

I don't see what's the fuss about to be honest. If anything I would be intrigued (But maybe I am biased since I have several friends and acquaintances in the CF and I was always interested in anything military... sometimes I even like to think it's not too late to join hehe)

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I don't see what's the fuss about to be honest. If anything I would be intrigued (But maybe I am biased since I have several friends and acquaintances in the CF and I was always interested in anything military... sometimes I even like to think it's not too late to join hehe)
We'll take you up to the age of 53 if you can pass the physical fitness test!
(mind you, compulsory retirement is 55)

The issue here is education. I find it funny that the same people who advocate education to calm people's fear of Islam or expanding LGBT rights are the same people who want to limit people's access to seeing the military doing training in an urban setting or teaching people the safe handling of firearms.
I recall having the opportunity to take a hunter's safety course when I was in grade 7. There was no shooting involved, we were only taught how to pick up a gun, make it safe and engage the safety. It was education to not to fear weapons but respect their capabilities and be able to handle them safely. I would advocate firearm safety training in all schools because education is good thing. Right?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
I recall having the opportunity to take a hunter's safety course when I was in grade 7. There was no shooting involved, we were only taught how to pick up a gun, make it safe and engage the safety. It was education to not to fear weapons but respect their capabilities and be able to handle them safely. I would advocate firearm safety training in all schools because education is good thing. Right?
That's not really what I'd call relevant in urban areas.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's not really what I'd call relevant in urban areas.
I'm sure that in some areas of North Winnipeg, North Central Regina, Jane and Finch Toronto would beg to differ.

More than likely most kids in cities would never see a gun again in their lives, but more education of any sort isn't a bad thing right?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:

The issue here is education. I find it funny that the same people who advocate education to calm people's fear of Islam or expanding LGBT rights are the same people who want to limit people's access to seeing the military doing training in an urban setting or teaching people the safe handling of firearms.
Is there really a school of thought that advocates against safe handling of firearms for people who handle firearms? I would have thought folks would want it to be mandatory.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Is there really a school of thought that advocates against safe handling of firearms for people who handle firearms? I would have thought folks would want it to be mandatory.
These people seem to want any mention of firearms or the military to be verbotten.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Is it not 60 now? I heard there is an "unofficial" rule in place and they being above 35 is not to your advantage. I am not 35 but the clock is ticking. Let's say this is an option I sometimes consider. I used to think it was a crazy idea but the more time passes, the less crazy I think it is (especially since I hardly see myself working in a office the next 35 years, and one of my acquaintances joined the Air Force recently at 29, it was a wake up call)

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Is it not 60 now? I heard there is an "unofficial" rule in place and they being above 35 is not to your advantage. I am not 35 but the clock is ticking. Let's say this is an option I sometimes consider. I used to think it was a crazy idea but the more time passes, the less crazy I think it is (especially since I hardly see myself working in a office the next 35 years, and one of my acquaintances joined the Air Force recently at 29, it was a wake up call)

You have to write a memo to go to CRA 60 and the CAF can release you if the needs of the service no longer include you. Mind you there is not much of threat of that right now. But with the government kicking the 8.5 billion dollar capital budget down the road to 2035, I don't know how that will affect things.

Also of you have designs to be the next CDS or any of the Flag Rank officers then being 35 is not going to be very good.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:09 PM

Quote:
I'm sure that in some areas of North Winnipeg, North Central Regina, Jane and Finch Toronto would beg to differ.

More than likely most kids in cities would never see a gun again in their lives, but more education of any sort isn't a bad thing right?
You keep saying that, but with limited amounts of time and money to teach things to students, I'm not sure that firearm safety training is really something near the top of the list of what those resources should be devoted to. I mean, I get that it's your hobby and all, but to most people, especially in cities... who cares.

I also think you dramatically overestimate the number of guns that urban kids are likely to come into contact with.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
You keep saying that, but with limited amounts of time and money to teach things to students, I'm not sure that firearm safety training is really something near the top of the list of what those resources should be devoted to. I mean, I get that it's your hobby and all, but to most people, especially in cities... who cares.

I also think you dramatically overestimate the number of guns that urban kids are likely to come into contact with.
Oh I know, this is just a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Dare to dream......dare to dream.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 1:30 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:

Yeah, let's also spend money teaching children hot air ballooning techniques and Turkmen etymology. More education is always useful, right?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:05 PM
Still optimistic

As a city-dweller with an instinctive aversion to firearms, this video really changed my perspective on gun ownership in Canada. I feel much more comfortable with the idea now.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:08 PM

In the Yeg area it is quite comment to see the military out and about training. It is a bit of a nerve wracker when you pull up to a tank are LAV at an intersection. I remember sitting at an intersection and feeling the car vibrating. I look in my rearview mirror to see a Leopard 2 pull up behind me.

Seeing Military personnel running around with weapons is no different than seeing police. Now if it was a civilian running around with a rifle than I would freak.

In a couple of weeks we will see one of the biggest military parades since the WW2 in Edmonton, to commemorate the battle for Vimy Ridge. I will be there, My wife's Grandfather received a medal for bravery after that battle.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada