HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDizzle View Post
If those state buildings could demo'd and replaced with a few 15- or 20-story condos, apartments, et al., the UP tracks were used for light rail, and there was a cool station accessible via tunnel under Mopac for pedestrians, that'd be sweet.
I'm sure the neighbors across Jackson would love that. I worked in two of those TxDOT buildings years ago, and there was a lot of traffic and pedestrians cutting through 40th and 39th streets to get to the parking lot, and constant traffic down Jackson. It seems like those people get dumped on enough as it is, and I'm sure they don't want to see high-rises right next door. Not to mention, I'm sure TxDOT isn't really itching to pick up all their stuff and move.

It's just as much of a dream, but it sure would be nice if they could move Mabry out east of town and redevelop that land like Mueller (but better).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
I don't know if this is really true for this part of town - your scenario is correct in many other places, but this area has seen a bunch of new buildings along Balcones. Those buildings were built on almost unusable, steep-graded land and they managed to do it. The area is really affluent and not decaying at all - I imagine that those 70's-80's midrises are just owned by people who aren't all that motivated to renovate or redevelop. They always seem to be occupied with tenants.

What is the zoning in this area? It can't be any different from the stuff along Mopac and Far West, and they've been building new things over there for the past 5-8 years. Given the size of the parking lot of the "Dow Jones" building, I think they could redevelop it profitably. A parking garage and a mid-rise building with a larger footprint is easily doable.
The new buildings have frontage on Mopac - which makes them more attractive economically (able to overcome the zoning disadvantages). The stuff on Bull Creek and Balcones is kind of hard to get to from Mopac itself. And the motivation to renovate or redevelop isn't there because they can't make the properties any bigger than they are right now. It doesn't make a lot of sense to pay a lot of money to knock down a 5-story building just to build another 5-story building with the same number of rentable square feet (or in some cases, even less - that's why West Campus was so blighted until a few years ago).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 6:28 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
The new buildings have frontage on Mopac - which makes them more attractive economically (able to overcome the zoning disadvantages). The stuff on Bull Creek and Balcones is kind of hard to get to from Mopac itself. And the motivation to renovate or redevelop isn't there because they can't make the properties any bigger than they are right now. It doesn't make a lot of sense to pay a lot of money to knock down a 5-story building just to build another 5-story building with the same number of rentable square feet (or in some cases, even less - that's why West Campus was so blighted until a few years ago).
Maybe we're talking about a different parcel of land. The new buildings have frontage on Balcones, not really on Mopac itself, although Balcones is kind of a frontage road - that stretch of Mopac is quite like the way suburban expressways in New Jersey look in some parts, with 2 lane roads intersecting at the side. The parcel of land I am talking about is the one behind the Randall's across the street from McDonald's - the two or three buildings over there. If I recall, Bull Creek is on the other side of the highway. These plots of land have big parking lots and could probably be redeveloped.

Where is your evidence that these two or three buildings (I think Girling Health Care is the banner on one of them, or it was at one point) are built to the maximum zoning will allow?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
Maybe we're talking about a different parcel of land. The new buildings have frontage on Balcones, not really on Mopac itself, although Balcones is kind of a frontage road - that stretch of Mopac is quite like the way suburban expressways in New Jersey look in some parts, with 2 lane roads intersecting at the side. The parcel of land I am talking about is the one behind the Randall's across the street from McDonald's - the two or three buildings over there. If I recall, Bull Creek is on the other side of the highway. These plots of land have big parking lots and could probably be redeveloped.

Where is your evidence that these two or three buildings (I think Girling Health Care is the banner on one of them, or it was at one point) are built to the maximum zoning will allow?
The fact that nobody builds higher in this part of town than that, I suppose. And I'm very familiar with them - rode my bike up Balcones hundreds of times on the way to several offices; and took my wife in for a couple appointments in the newest buildings.

They're accessible from Mopac - the newest ones are, anyways, and yes, the frontage road becomes Balcones at North Hills - but to the suburban driver that's no real difference; it's the frontage road unless they have to make an extra turn. (I'd ride my bike northbound up Balcones from Hancock to North Hills and then hang a left).

Agreed that the parcel behind Randall's is less accessible. I was just making the case that the reason it was profitable to develop the new stuff at relatively low-density farther north but not profitable to redevelop the old stuff at the same density further south is that the property further north can generate a lot more dollars per square foot due to better visibility and better automobile access from Mopac.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 7:31 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
The fact that nobody builds higher in this part of town than that, I suppose. And I'm very familiar with them - rode my bike up Balcones hundreds of times on the way to several offices; and took my wife in for a couple appointments in the newest buildings.

They're accessible from Mopac - the newest ones are, anyways, and yes, the frontage road becomes Balcones at North Hills - but to the suburban driver that's no real difference; it's the frontage road unless they have to make an extra turn. (I'd ride my bike northbound up Balcones from Hancock to North Hills and then hang a left).

Agreed that the parcel behind Randall's is less accessible. I was just making the case that the reason it was profitable to develop the new stuff at relatively low-density farther north but not profitable to redevelop the old stuff at the same density further south is that the property further north can generate a lot more dollars per square foot due to better visibility and better automobile access from Mopac.
Well, who knows, the demand for office space isn't exactly on fire, so time will tell. I bet they still get redeveloped within 5-7 years. At the very least, that Randall's will be redeveloped, there's no way those affluent Cat Mountain people can tolerate that! I hope they don't just shut it down and build a new supermarket at 2222 and 360.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 9:13 PM

This may be a deadhorse question but are there any developments re: sound walls for MoPac? Did I read that was something to be done in '08 or '09 or am I making that up? Those neighbors have been promised those things for a couple decades now.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 8:14 AM
De Lurk Squad

New rail line addition

This was in the statesman yesterday, I happen to work across the street from this planned station and thought it was interesting.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/traffic/entries/2008/01/16/howard_lane_station_plan_revea.html[/URL]

By Ben Wear | Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 04:13 PM

Capital Metro officials this evening will unveil to Hidden Estates and Ashton Woods residents what they can expect in the Howard Lane commuter rail station. People in those North Austin neighborhoods had fought plans to put the station along Loop 1 tollway’s access road, just south of Howard Lane.

In the wake of all that — including some intervention by Austin City Council members — the transit agency worked with the Texas Department of Transportation to put the station around the corner on Howard. Negotiations are still ongoing with TxDOT for the land, and the agency is also talking to owners of the Robinson Ranch for some adjoining land. But assuming all of that works out as Capital Metro thinks it will, this is what the station would look like:

Under this plan, the existing path of the rail line in that curving section of the railroad would actually be moved to the southwest. Capital Metro needs the Robinson Ranch land to move the track.

Given the ongoing land talks and that Capital Metro expects to open the Leander-to-downtown-Austin line in nine or ten months — and that actually moving the tracks and building the station and parking lot will take some time — agency spokesman Adam Shaivitz acknowledged today that the line might have to open before the Howard Lane station is ready.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 3:18 PM

Notice the size of the parking lot - if you're still under the mistaken impression that Capital Metro is planning for lots and lots of riders. (This is one of three stations with a parking lot attached - and there's essentially zero bus service up there right now).

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDizzle View Post
This may be a deadhorse question but are there any developments re: sound walls for MoPac? Did I read that was something to be done in '08 or '09 or am I making that up? Those neighbors have been promised those things for a couple decades now.
Seems logical. A quick search produced a lot of hits:

http://www.pembertonheights.org/2005..._Mtg_index.htm

http://milwoodna.com/?m=200704

http://www.main.org/hpwbana/Document...07-4-17(1).pdf

"John Kelly, DMJM Harris and Mark Herber, TxDOT explained the function of the managed lane. The primary function is to express buses and vanpools through the corridor. At the same time the corridor would be monitored electronically to allow SOV’s to use the managed lane using congestion pricing thus utilizing the new capacity to its fullest. They reviewed CAMPO stipulation for the corridor as stated in the 2030 Plan. A managed lane with construction to be at or below grade level, no elevated lanes and taking no new ROW. With the new construction there would be sound walls. The equation is: need for added capacity = new construction = soundwalls. Discussion followed about the location and construction of soundwalls, as well as the dB reduction created by the walls. There will be a Noise Workshop in the fall.
The question was raised about the Town Lake Bridge and the bottleneck that is created by having only two lanes. Mark Herber said TxDOT is requesting permission for FHWA to restripe the bridge to accommodate three lanes. They are waiting for an answer."

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 11:36 AM
De Lurk Squad

Quote:
Notice the size of the parking lot - if you're still under the mistaken impression that Capital Metro is planning for lots and lots of riders. (This is one of three stations with a parking lot attached - and there's essentially zero bus service up there right now).
Agreed. if i where to use this station I would walk across the street from work to go downtown, drink till I passed out in an alley and wake up to take it back to work on time. Otherwise I would have to drive to the lot sober and arrive sober from my trip in order to make it home safely without our lovely Williamson County PD sending my ass to jail

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 11:37 AM
De Lurk Squad

This is just an extreme example

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 5:40 PM

Turn of the century street car photo and related article

From todays Stateman. Thought it was a nice photo related to this thread.

Mass transit in Austin at the beginning of the 20th century consisted mainly of streetcars, such as this one on Sixth Street.

Trolley boycott gave Austin's blacks a voice
Public transportation protests persisted throughout civil rights movement.

By Katie Humphrey
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Monday, January 21, 2008

More than 50 years before Martin Luther King Jr. led the Montgomery bus boycotts that would propel him to the forefront of the national civil rights movement, African Americans in Austin banded together to take on the city's transportation system in a relatively unknown chapter of local history.

It was March 1906, long before buses. Back then, streetcars on rails powered by overhead electric lines were the typical mode of mass transit. The Austin boycott, like those in other Southern cities, was spurred by turn-of-the-century segregation laws and emphasized the importance of public transportation as a battleground throughout the civil rights movement.

Little record remains of the boycott, but newspapers reported that it lasted about three months. It drew early concern from Austin Electric Railway officials, who feared losing money, and quickly grabbed the attention of politicians, media and the community as a whole. It achieved nearly total participation but ultimately failed to reverse the new segregated-car ordinance before African Americans started riding again.

"It was sort of ... like the precursor of what would blossom into the civil rights movement locally," said Karen Riles, a neighborhood liaison with the Austin History Center.

The boycott came on the heels of an ordinance passed by the City Council that required each streetcar to be divided into separate compartments and clearly indicate who was allowed to sit where. Riders who violated the ordinance could be convicted of a misdemeanor and fined $10 to $100.

Previously, the streetcars were not divided, and riders could sit wherever they chose.

In Austin, a network of carriages and wagons driven by African Americans for reduced fares, about 10 cents by newspaper accounts, provided an alternative form of transportation for those who couldn't or didn't want to walk.

Local African American businessmen and pastors were probably the boycott's leaders, Riles said. Similar boycotts occurred in more than 25 Southern cities.

For a while, the boycott was almost complete. The Austin Statesman described it April 18, 1906, in the vernacular of the time: "The boycott of the cars of the Austin Electric Railway Company by the colored race of this city, which has been gradually growing ever since the city council passed the separate compartment ordinance for the white and colored race in street cars, is now almost as thorough as the agitator of it could desire. Very few Negroes are patronizing the street cars on any of the lines and the number is growing less every day."

The ordinance was approved over objections from the streetcar company, whose foreman said he supported segregating the cars but feared the economic impact of a boycott. And wealthy Austin housewives raised concerns when servants did not report for work, the newspaper reported.

Despite the attention the boycott garnered from the public, it stopped for unknown reasons before the ordinance took effect in June 1906. African Americans were "riding on streetcars as usual" when the passenger dividers were installed, the newspaper said.

That result was typical of the streetcar boycotts of the time. African Americans in a few cities had temporary successes, only to have segregation quietly reinstated later.

But the conflict about seating on public transportation had been around since the post-Civil War period of Reconstruction.

"As segregation laws were passed in Southern cities, one of the central sites that was targeted was public transportation, where whites and African Americans came together in very close public proximity," said Laurie B. Green, an assistant professor of history at the University of Texas whose research focuses on the civil rights movement and the South.

There were protests of segregated horse cars in Richmond, Va.; New Orleans; and other cities after the Civil War. And the landmark 1896 U.S. Supreme Court case Plessy v. Ferguson, which upheld the constitutionality of segregation under the separate-but-equal doctrine, was based on a dispute about seating on a passenger train in Louisiana.

Segregated transportation, which separated people by race and denied African Americans access to first-class travel, was humiliating, Green said.

Prominent African American men often spoke for the boycott participants, but many times, women fueled the protests because they were acutely aware of the discrimination as they traveled daily to go shopping or report to jobs across town, she said.

The failure of the boycotts in Austin and elsewhere isn't that surprising because of the political and social climate of the time, Green said.

"They didn't have much of a leg to stand on, and that would be true until post-World War II," she said.

Later would come more favorable court decisions, bus boycotts and freedom rides that forced change. But the streetcar boycotts were an important step for African Americans who had to start somewhere, Riles said.

"Ever since emancipation, African Americans were trying to take part in their own destiny," Riles said. "That meant they often had to challenge the status quo, the Jim Crow laws."

khumphrey@statesman.com; 445-3658

Streetcar boycotts

At the start of the 20th century, residents organized boycotts against segregated streetcars in more than 25 Southern cities, including:

Atlanta 1900

Montgomery, Ala. 1900-02

New Orleans 1902-03

Little Rock, Ark. 1903

Houston 1903-05

San Antonio 1904-05

Memphis, Tenn. 1905

Austin 1906

Source: Journal of American History

Find this article at:
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...21boycott.html

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 10:19 PM

TxDOT cuts have engineers on edge

Agency announced 57 percent cut in engineering contracts in November, leading to layoffs, transfers - and dread.

By Ben Wear
AMERICAN STATESMAN STAFF
Monday, January 21, 2008

Sitting in the rarefied air of the Texas Department of Transportation's commission chambers in November, it was easy to look at the 57 percent cut in engineering contracts in a political context. Cut $250 million from the agency's budget for such expenditures, I wrote at the time, and you get the attention of the Legislature.

Maybe so. But you surely get the attention of the engineering firms and the individual engineers who make their living designing and inspecting construction on Texas highways. For them, the announcement was more than merely political hardball in the department's ongoing bout with lawmakers over private toll roads .

To many Texas civil and structural engineers, the decision has meant layoffs, transfers to other states, reduced income or, for the luckiest among them, no immediate impact other than dawn-to-dusk fear that the layoff train is headed their way.

"They're calling it the 'Black Christmas,' " said Lisa Powell, owner of PE Structural Consultants in Austin, a 14-person firm that in good times gets 90 percent or more of its business from TxDOT. "A lot of people are really scrambling right now, fearful about what's going to happen."

Steve Simmons, TxDOT's deputy executive director, revealed the engineering cut in a briefing to the commission Nov. 15. The agency would also trim right-of-way purchases by 50 percent, he said, and reduce internal agency expenditures by 10 percent.

Why design roads or buy land for them when you don't think you'll have money to actually build them, Simmons wondered.

Then the agency in late November told its district engineers to cease awarding contracts for new construction beginning Feb. 1. The agency says its money, now and especially in coming years, is running out for a number of reasons. But the most politically loaded is the Legislature's 2007 decision to substantially curtail TxDOT's ability to reach long-term leases with private companies to build and operate toll roads.

Engineers, who like almost everyone don't have the access or expertise to audit TxDOT's claims about its financial state, feel like they're caught in the middle of the argument. They strongly suspect that the size of the cut was designed for its shock value, with little regard for the lives affected or what it might do to drain badly needed technical talent from the state.

"We have some concern about how this happened," said Steve Stagner, president of the Texas Council of Engineering Companies, "and whether it couldn't have been brought to a softer landing."

The Austin district's engineering budget for 2008 has been cut from $45.2 million to $19.6 million, causing a slowdown on design for adding lanes to MoPac Boulevard (Loop 1) and a scramble to find some way to design planned tollways and free roads.

Central Texas engineers won't be the only ones affected by that particular Christmas present.

Find this article at:
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten.../0121wear.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:27 AM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Agency announced 57 percent cut in engineering contracts in November, leading to layoffs, transfers - and dread.

Find this article at:
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten.../0121wear.html
Well, I can personally attest to this. As my handle indicates, and as some of you know, I relocated here to transfer within my company--an engineering firm--to work on the SH 130 project. With that said, I've established a good life here, have purchased a home, and have become professionally registered. And I'm not alone...

The 2002 CTTP in its entirety created an incredible demand for talented engineers, technicians, surveyors, and other trained professionals that was/is otherwise not fully capable by TxDOT, local contractors, and local firms alone. This project drew incredibly well-qualified individuals from all over, whether employed by my company, other competing firms, and most certainly drew TxDOT's internally best and brightest to get it done.

To that end, TxDOT is fully aware that as these projects wind down, companies must manage their respective staff to keep them busy. It is their risk after all, and that rationale drives TxDOT and other public agencies to utilize companies like mine. And I think there is genuinely a sense of sadness and remorse that this opportunity--established and proven talented individuals already mobilized to the Austin area--may pass them by. The lines between who works for TxDOT and its consultants are truly blurred; TxDOT management has determined that we are part of a team, and for that opportunity above many others will I take from this experience in my approach on future projects. But it still gives me personal sadness as demobilization continues that we don't really have many places to go.

But again, that's our risk. And any engineering company worth their salt recognizes this and has planned for it accordingly.

From my point of view, this will really hurt smaller firms who got the opportunity to expand by virtue of the CTTP, e.g. PE Structural, who do not have a particularly high or any presence elsewhere. And I am aware of at least one national firm who did PS&E work who has determined to close their Austin office. So there will surely be a negative fallout from this that will create a certain "brain drain" of local talent.

I have accepted in my mind that this is a make-or-break year for me, but my lifestyle has built within it certain flexibility, e.g. single, condo-ownership that can easily be rented out, no kids, etc. that makes me more nimble than most individuals. So my hopes and prayers go out to families who may go without work in the near future. I believe that TxDOT, CTRMA, local agencies, etc. who still need engineering work performed will make selections on qualifications established over the last few years, but that amount of work has definitely radically diminished.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 9:13 AM
Meh

Some pretty cool pictures of the CapitalMetro trains arriving in the United States! Click on the link below for more info.

CapitalMetro commuter trains arrive in Galveston by ship. The trains come from a company in Switzerland.
http://www.capmetro.org/news/news_detail.asp?id=3112

Source: http://www.capmetro.org/news/news_detail.asp?id=3112

From Galveston they were trucked to Austin.

Source: http://www.capmetro.org/news/news_detail.asp?id=3112

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 4:14 PM

www.bizjournals.com/austin

Friday, January 25, 2008
Cap Metro, CTRMA could jointly operate proposed railAustin Business Journal - by Kate Harrington ABJ Staff

Print Article Email Article Reprints RSS Feeds Add to Del.icio.us Digg This
As the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization's transit working group begins the process of discussing routes and financing options for Mayor Will Wynn's proposed Austin-area rail, broader transportation possibilities are emerging for the region's fiscally constrained transportation agencies.

While there is no formal agreement in the works, CAMPO board members, Austin city officials, Central Texas Mobility Regional Authority officials and Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials have started talking about a possible partnership between Cap Metro and CTRMA that could operate Wynn's proposed commuter rail line. Austin-area transportation leaders aren't alone in exploring that type of partnership. At the other end of the Central Texas corridor in San Antonio, the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority is also exploring ways to incorporate multiple transit modes into the agency's mission.

During a Jan. 9 meeting, the Alamo RMA's board agreed to look into holding a conference or workshop on how to combine tolls and transit in the agency's future scope. Leroy Alloway, Alamo RMA's director of community relations, says a partnership with VIA Metropolitan Transit, San Antonio's counterpart to Cap Metro, is a definite possibility. VIA has been looking at doing light-rail like rapid transit bus routes in San Antonio.

"Our board has been very committed from day one that we have mobility in our name, and we're not simply a tolling authority," Alloway says.

Whether or not a Cap Metro-CTRMA partnership may happen is still up in the air, but Todd Hemingson, vice president of strategic planning and development for Cap Metro, says that across the country there's a trend toward the marriage of tolling and transit.

"That may portend something for the Austin region, but we don't know yet," says Hemingson.

But no one disagrees with Cap Metro's own assertion that it likely doesn't have the funds to do a new commuter rail project on its own. Austin Council Member Brewster McCracken says that because Cap Metro's service area is limited and the organization is facing financial challenges, it makes sense to create a public-public partnership. CAMPO transit working group members have casually discussed CTRMA and Cap Metro's partnering on a commuter rail line to Elgin and Manor in their meetings. While Cap Metro owns that line, only Manor is within its service area.

State law says CTRMA can build light rail lines as well as toll roads. McCracken says CTRMA would also be able to use excess toll revenue from corridors that an Elgin and Manor line would run along, like U.S. 290 East, to fund rail projects.

Hemingson says Cap Metro has some very preliminary numbers for what an Elgin and Manor commuter rail spur would cost, but that the organization can't release them yet. The total cost of the commuter rail line that's scheduled to begin running this fall between Austin and Leander is approximately $90 million.

"Anyone who looks at what happens in the metro regions understands quickly that we all sink or swim together," says Glenn Gadbois, a member of the Alliance for Public Transportation. "The economic health of Austin, Georgetown and Round Rock and the economic health of the five counties all float or sink together. So we have to start figuring out how we can use available revenues as strategically as possible."

Steve Pustelnyk, director of communications for CTRMA, says the authority is open to the possibility of creating a partnership with Cap Metro, but says the board hasn't yet discussed whether or not a possible partnership would be a priority or if the agency has the resources. As far as excess revenue goes, Pustelnyk cautions that it's perhaps too early to assume excess toll revenue will be rolling in anytime soon.

"We're open to discussions, but toll roads are business propositions and our No. 1 priority is to generate the revenue necessary to meet our bond obligations," he says.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 4:26 PM

Note that the commuter line to Elgin would end up terminating in the same useless set of stations as the Leander line - it buys us precisely nothing; we're still reliant on the theory that people who won't ride some fairly good express buses straight to their office today will gladly drive to a train station, ride a train, transfer to a fairly awful shuttle bus, and then take the shuttle bus to their office.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:02 PM
Austinite

So I take it that light rail/dedicated lanes are still out of the question with such a collaboration?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:08 PM

The line running out to Elgin eventually joins up with the Leander line - it would be similar service (diesel multiple unit service, probably) - running in its own right-of-way. In that sense, it's good, but the problem is that it doesn't go anwyhere worth going, and, and this is the important part: can't ever be extended anywhere worth going because the DMU vehicles aren't capable of running around corners in the street the way real light-rail trains do.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:51 PM

The 290 toll corridor might be a nice revenue generator to fund rail in the area. It has a lot of Houston traffic on it. Houstonians are used to paying tolls and will utilize it w/o blinking an eye.

Quote:
Note that the commuter line to Elgin would end up terminating in the same useless set of stations as the Leander line - it buys us precisely nothing; we're still reliant on the theory that people who won't ride some fairly good express buses straight to their office today will gladly drive to a train station, ride a train, transfer to a fairly awful shuttle bus, and then take the shuttle bus to their office.

Are you referring to express buses in Austin metro area? I haven't seen such a beast? As far as I am aware, you must drive to a bus station. Hop on a bus, wait in traffic with the rest of the cars on the freeway, and then perform pathetic slow stops thru downtown area and wait at traffic signals until reaching final destination.

The definition of express bus that I am familiar with would be in Houston, which utilizes dedicated HOV lanes, and dedicated downtown bus lanes. These can actually cut time off the commute. These are successful and I'm sure those same people would utilize a commuter train if it was available.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin