HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 5:34 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I agree that this isn't a guarantee. Just posting what I heard. I exchanged PM's with that poster after that statement was made. He posts on that board and thread quite a bit.

Breaking news isn't as fun if we just wait for a newspaper to print it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Aqua is one of my favorite high-rise's in the U.S.!!! However, everything seems to be dumbed-down for Austin. It would be really cool to see a developer finally step out and create something very modern and uniquely aesthetic for Austin's skyline.

The 82-story Aqua was completed in 2009 at a development cost of roughly $475 million ($300 million in construction costs). So, it may be doable here in Austin. Considering the development costs of the W Austin Hotel & Residences, the JW Marriott Austin, and the possible Fairmont Hotel Austin are/were all in excess of $300 million.
I LOVE that building.... it's also smart in that the plates are what is curved... .not the walls or glass! A very efficient design/cost way to get the effect of the building! Smart and cool!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I LOVE that building.... it's also smart in that the plates are what is curved... .not the walls or glass! A very efficient design/cost way to get the effect of the building! Smart and cool!
Wow. Michael B. finally loves a building! Even though it's not an Austin building.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I agree that this isn't a guarantee. Just posting what I heard. I exchanged PM's with that poster after that statement was made. He posts on that board and thread quite a bit.

Breaking news isn't as fun if we just wait for a newspaper to print it.
I'm not going to live or die if something happens or does not lol...

I heard years ago Ritz Carlton was looking into Austin... could it be a Marriott combo? Ritz + a low end or extended stay?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 9:09 PM

I don't think it's financially possible for a "budget" hotel to be part of a 50-story building in Austin. I know the term "budget" is relative, and given Austin's downtown hotel rates, $300 may be considered cheap. But I can't help thinking the budget floors (say floors 10-20) of the building would be brown stucco while the rest of the building be some awesome glass color.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 10:57 PM

Construction Cams

Can anyone tell me where I can find more Austin construction camera feeds like the OxBlue JW Marriott and Skyhouse feeds?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 1:00 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I don't think it's financially possible for a "budget" hotel to be part of a 50-story building in Austin. I know the term "budget" is relative, and given Austin's downtown hotel rates, $300 may be considered cheap. But I can't help thinking the budget floors (say floors 10-20) of the building would be brown stucco while the rest of the building be some awesome glass color.
No... In this case, the residences and the upscale hotel will require the entire design to be extravagant if it pans out. They will basically subsidize the outside "look" of the building for the more budget hotel. It just means smaller rooms and more bare bones furnishing.

Also, "budget" in the downtown sense is entirely different from a motel which the common folk consider "budget".

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 1:25 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
...I heard years ago Ritz Carlton was looking into Austin... could it be a Marriott combo? Ritz + a low end or extended stay?
The Ritz has been considering Austin since the early '90's. Remember the plan to put a Ritz where the Cliffs at Barton Creek apartments are now (adjacent to Barton Creek Square Mall...north side facing downtown)? Maybe not...but, it was the case prior to the 1994 completion of the apartments.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 2:08 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
No... In this case, the residences and the upscale hotel will require the entire design to be extravagant if it pans out. They will basically subsidize the outside "look" of the building for the more budget hotel. It just means smaller rooms and more bare bones furnishing.

Also, "budget" in the downtown sense is entirely different from a motel which the common folk consider "budget".
I think they may be thinking of a combination of hotels similar to LA Live. As mentioned previously, the Marriott brand has a JW Marriott and a Ritz Carlton in the same complex. Even though the JW is high-end product, it is not as high-end as a Ritz.

Just for argument sake, it could be something like one of the following combinations (should it be a large hotel chain):

Marriott Brands:
-A signature hotel (i.e., mainline Marriott) + a lifestyle hotel (i.e., EDITION, Autograph Collection, etc.)
-A signature hotel (i.e., mainline Marriott) + a iconic luxury hotel (i.e., Ritz Carlton)
*I do not think Austin will be getting the first Bulgari Hotel in the America's.

Starwood Brands:
-A signature brand (like a Sheraton or aloft) + a luxury brand (like a Luxury Collection hotel, St. Regis, or Le Meridien)

Hyatt Brands:
-A signature brand (i.e., a mainline Hyatt or another Hyatt Regency) + a luxury brand (i.e., Park Hyatt, Andaz, Grand Hyatt, etc.)

Hilton Brands:
-A signature brand (i.e., another Hilton or Doubletree) + a luxury brand (i.e., Conrad or Waldorf Astoria)

Carlson Rezidor Brands:
-A signature brand (i.e., another Radisson or a Park Plaza or Park Inn) + a luxury brand (i.e., Radisson Blu)

Wyndham Brands:
-A signature brand (i.e., Wyndham) + a luxury brand (i.e., Wyndham Grand)
NOTE: Wyndham also has hip brands like TRYP, Night and DREAM which would be fits in the Austin market.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 2:50 AM

Apartments under construction on N. Lamar (forgot the name of these)

More residences under construction on W. 51st St. across from the Austin State Hospital Cemetery in the North Loop area:

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 3:58 AM

Lamar Camden Heights and Waller Creekside Apartments on 51st.

Does anyone know anything about something happening on the SW corner of North Loop and Lamar? I believe I saw something at one point and I think it was called North Lamar Lofts with Post as the developer but I've not been able to find anything.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedaref View Post

Does anyone know anything about something happening on the SW corner of North Loop and Lamar? .
Are you talking about the Austin Vacuum building? I had heard that was going to be a Taco Cabana. Although I haven't heard anything lately.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Are you talking about the Austin Vacuum building? I had heard that was going to be a Taco Cabana. Although I haven't heard anything lately.
Well, I've figured some things out. Not sure why I didn't think to look there sooner, but it's in the City's Emerging Projects PDF. They're calling it the Uptown Apartments, so I'm not sure where I'm getting the Post North Lamar Lofts from. It isn't exactly on the corner: the yellow shaded lots are owned by the same company, J17 Fortune, with the green owned by someone else.

186 units

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 5:42 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
The foundation is already taking shape at the site... appears to be the size of a typical Taco Cabana.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post

Did you really think I was serious about some of the floors being brown stucco? LOL Mr Serious.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 6:15 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Did you really think I was serious about some of the floors being brown stucco? LOL Mr Serious.
The rest of your comment was serious and the statement flowed logically from the rest of the comment, so yes... I did.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 4:33 PM

WOW! Aqua is AMAZING! Like a better version of a Gehry building!!! Please build something like that in Austin!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 10:02 PM

Physician-owned hospital breaks ground in Austin

www.impactnews.com

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 7:35 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 9:14 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Just said this in the Houston thread.

MORE INFILL. MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start announcing projects every single day Austin!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations