HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Will Jagmeet Singh win the by-election?
Yes 34 44.74%
No 42 55.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 8:13 PM

Huh, turns out I hadn't yet voted in this poll for some reason.

Well, I just voted "yes". (Feels nice being, as always, correct.)

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
For the same reason, if I were a Tory I wouldn't get too worked up about the high PPC vote. A protest led by an obnoxious high-profile local candidate, that won't be repeated across the country in October.
I couldn't disagree more with you on that. In our FPTP system, a few percentage points more vs the same amount less can make a huge difference in the overall number of ridings won.

If I were Scheer, I'd offer Max his choice of Ministry + the position of second-in-charge + I'd formally make him my heir as much as possible within party rules (giving him a good chance of becoming PM someday) if he would disband his new party and come back.

This guy is going to single-handedly cost him the election, and both of them know it.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 8:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I couldn't disagree more with you on that. In our FPTP system, a few percentage points more vs the same amount less can make a huge difference in the overall number of ridings won.

If I were Scheer, I'd offer Max his choice of Ministry + the position of second-in-charge + I'd formally make him my heir as much as possible within party rules (giving him a good chance of becoming PM someday) if he would disband his new party and come back.

This guy is going to single-handedly cost him the election, and both of them know it.
I have to agree and will add that my first reaction to hearing that the People's Party candidate got 10% in Burnaby-South was to be surprised and impressed.

Yes, she had a "name" but mostly for the wrong reasons, at least when you consider she was a candidate associated with televangelism and conservative religious and moral views running in the inner suburbs of Vancouver which is essentially the heart of the "faithless coast".

Yes there are some constituencies in BC not that far from Vancouver where a candidate associated with the religious right might have some appeal, but they are some distance to the east of Burnaby-South.

That she was nonetheless able to get 10% is a pretty good omen for Maxime Bernier.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I have to agree and will add that my first reaction to hearing that the People's Party candidate got 10% in Burnaby-South was to be surprised and impressed.

Yes, she had a "name" but mostly for the wrong reasons, at least when you consider she was a candidate associated with televangelism and conservative religious and moral views running in the inner suburbs of Vancouver which is essentially the heart of the "faithless coast".

Yes there are some constituencies in BC not that far from Vancouver where a candidate associated with the religious right might have some appeal, but they are some distance to the east of Burnaby-South.

That she was nonetheless able to get 10% is a pretty good omen for Maxime Bernier.
Big whoop, her 10% was out of a total voter turnout less than half of what it was in the last election. Given that she had a fairly devoted base of bigots built up from the recent municpal election in October, pulling in just over 2,200 votes isn't much of an accomplishment. And the PPC flopped in the other two byelections, getting just over 300 votes each in Outremont and York-Simcoe.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 2:58 AM
I am a typical

She was a fairly well known Christian radio host there, so she had a bit of star power behind her. The candidates running for Maxine's PP in the east were just run of the mill racist nobodies.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 4:11 AM

A good friend of mine is very entrenched in Burnaby politics. From what I know, there is a contingent in the city centred around the Willingdon Church that is quite extreme and very far to the right of literally anyone else in the area.

They are extremely disciplined in making sure everyone of them goes out to vote and that they are coordinated in who to vote for. That vote this time around went to the PPC candidate.

Every 3-4 years during the municipal elections, there's always one extreme candidate that makes the news in Burnaby, always linked to this congregation.

The discipline of this group is almost certainly what lead to 10% for the PPC. I wouldn't say the Conservatives should discount it, but I certainly wouldn't see this as indicative of too much.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 2:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
She was a fairly well known Christian radio host there, so she had a bit of star power behind her. The candidates running for Maxine's PP in the east were just run of the mill racist nobodies.
Did they really say racist things or are they simply assumed to be racist because they ran for the PPC?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
A good friend of mine is very entrenched in Burnaby politics. From what I know, there is a contingent in the city centred around the Willingdon Church that is quite extreme and very far to the right of literally anyone else in the area.

They are extremely disciplined in making sure everyone of them goes out to vote and that they are coordinated in who to vote for. That vote this time around went to the PPC candidate.

Every 3-4 years during the municipal elections, there's always one extreme candidate that makes the news in Burnaby, always linked to this congregation.

The discipline of this group is almost certainly what lead to 10% for the PPC. I wouldn't say the Conservatives should discount it, but I certainly wouldn't see this as indicative of too much.
As I've said before, the federal Liberals foolishly assume that welcoming loads of new immigrants means load of new Liberal voters.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 5:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
As I've said before, the federal Liberals foolishly assume that welcoming loads of new immigrants means load of new Liberal voters.
It's worked out pretty well for them so far.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's worked out pretty well for them so far.
Don't immigrants in a lot of suburbs vote conservative though?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Don't immigrants in a lot of suburbs vote conservative though?
Indeed they do. if you look to find the areas most reliably Liberal, they tend to be in the affluent cities or inner suburbs.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 7:34 PM

I learned some new Canadian history today when reading MacLeans piece on what's ahead for the NDP. Singh isn't even the first NDP leader to represent Burnaby. Burnaby-Coquitlam was Tommy Douglas' seat as NDP leader from 1962-68!

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/all...a-revived-ndp/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 11:49 PM

Not the biggest fan of him but good for Jagmeet. Will be nice to see him in Parliament.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada