HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 11:58 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
That reminds me :
I'm under the impression that this will be the most complex interchange configuration in the province and , to be honest , I can't figure out why a simple cloverleaf won't do the trick. Is there anywhere I can see a schematic and even if not , any idea when this thing is supposed to be completed ?
Manitoba may be different, but they no longer build cloverleaf interchanges in Ontario due to the weaving of traffic (in each case, merging and exiting traffic have to cross paths). With higher traffic interchanges (like cloverleafs would have typically been constructed for), this can become quite hazardous and slows traffic down significantly. I believe almost all the cloverleafs in Ontario have been converted into Parclo interchanges, the exception being in Kitchener-Waterloo along the Conestoga Parkway where you can probably gain a profound understanding just how poor the cloverleaf design is. The parclo typically involves slowing down traffic somewhat on the cross street though. If this is undesirable, the only other option that still avoids weaving would be to have a number of fly-over structures.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 2:53 PM
Heart of the Continent

I doubt that they're going to do flyovers...but I guess you never really know.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 3:15 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Manitoba may be different, but they no longer build cloverleaf interchanges in Ontario due to the weaving of traffic (in each case, merging and exiting traffic have to cross paths).
In Manitoba the cloverleaf is still seen as pretty much the ultimate. There are probably not more than a couple of dozen interchanges in the entire province.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 3:17 PM
I am a typical

Well, Manitoba drivers aren't insane.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 8:04 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Are there any good visuals showing what is twinned, province by province. One of all of Canada at once wouldn't be detailed enough, but I suppose I'd settle for that if it was current.
I just created some myself of the Maritime Provinces...I don't remember exact enough in the other provinces I drove through last summer to do those, otherwise I would.

Red= 2-lane
Blue= Approved for twinning
Orange = Twinning U/C
Green = Twinned

Nova Scotia

Currently ~40% twinned
~42% twinned after completion of U/C section
~58% twinned after completion of Approved section

Prince Edward Island

0% twinned

New Brunswick

~91% twinned (only 2-lane section is a spur to the Confederation Bridge)

The TCH through the Maritimes as a whole is ~61% twinned at present.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 11:53 PM
Heart of the Continent

I don't know how many people have taken a look at this yet, but it details what is to be done and is currently being done in Banff.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/d...es/index_e.asp

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
I just created some myself of the Maritime Provinces...I don't remember exact enough in the other provinces I drove through last summer to do those, otherwise I would.

Red= 2-lane
Blue= Approved for twinning
Orange = Twinning U/C
Green = Twinned

The TCH through the Maritimes as a whole is ~61% twinned at present.
Thanks for the Martime maps, I made a few up for the western Provinces which includes both the main Trans Canada Highway (Hwy 1) and the Yellowhead Route (Hwy 16). I added a couple other routes:

Purple = twinned non-TCH routes that could be used as an alternate route to the TCH, specifically
- BC 17 - alternate route between Vancouver & Victoria
- BC 5 - Coquihalla Hwy (arguably this route should be redesignated as TCH 1)
- AB 2 - alternate route between Edmonton and Vancouver via Calgary
- SK 11 - alternate route between Saskatoon and Winnipeg via Regina
Yellow = BC 5/Southern Yellowhead Hwy, could be a candidate for twinning or being added as part of the Trans Canada Hwy

British Columbia & Alberta

British Columbia
TCH 1: ~ 14% twinned, ~ 34% twinning if rerouted via the Coquihalla Hwy
TCH 16: 0% twinned
Alberta
TCH 1: ~94% twinned (100% once construction is complete)
TCH 16: ~85% twinned

Saskatchewn & Manitoba

Saskatchewan
TCH 1: 100% twinned
TCH 16: ~42% twinned

Manitoba
TCH 1: ~97% twinned
TCH 16: 0% twinned

Western Canada
TCH 1: ~73% twinned (~83% if rerouted via the Coquihalla Hwy)
TCH 16: ~30% twinned

Last edited by dmuzika; Apr 27, 2009 at 5:31 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 10:24 PM
恭喜发财!

^Yeah, I was thinking that since the tolls have been removed from the Coquihalla, it should be redesignated TCH and used as Highway 1 from Hope to Kamloops.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 11:23 PM
Heart of the Continent

I think your map for the west may be a little outdated. Saskatchewan is now completely finished #1.

Oh and yes, I agree, #5 in BC should be made into #1.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I think your map for the west may be a little outdated. Saskatchewan is now completely finished #1.

Oh and yes, I agree, #5 in BC should be made into #1.
Thanks for the news, I tried looking for news links but the only things I could find was that it was still u/c. I've updated the map.

I think the one reason the Coquihalla is not marked as the TCH is that the current TCH 1 being declassified could have a percieved negative impact on tourist traffic on certain communities (Cache Creek, etc). It's hard to say as most travellers know the freeway follows Hwy 5 and take the route regardless of the designation. As an alternative, the route could be renumbered but be called the "Trans Canada Highway - Historical Route" with a special highway shield.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 5:46 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Thanks for the news, I tried looking for news links but the only things I could find was that it was still u/c. I've updated the map.
Here is a news link about the completion: http://www.canadiandriver.com/2008/1...skatchewan.htm

Oh, and nice thoughts on BC #5.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 5:54 AM
Heart of the Continent

Oh, and you might want to add this to the map:http://dcnonl.com/article/id29657

Also, phase 4 of the Kicking Horse Canyon project hasn't been approved. Sorry, not trying to nit pick.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 5:57 AM
Heart of the Continent

http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/050/Viewer_e.cfm?CEAR_ID=42581

This is also interesting, because it says:

This 3.6km upgrade is part of the long-term plan to upgrade the entire TCH through B.C to at least four lanes.

Didn't know it existed, but glad to hear it.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 12:34 PM
Mooderator

Fort McMurray getting some interchanges..

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...da-979647.html

Quote:

Apr 24, 2009 15:01 ET

Governments of Canada and Alberta to Boost Economy and Create Jobs With Interchange Upgrades Near Fort McMurray

FORT MCMURRAY, ALBERTA--(Marketwire - April 24, 2009)
- The governments of Canada and Alberta are working together to stimulate the Canadian economy by partnering to upgrade roads in and around Fort McMurray, federal Minister of Labour, Rona Ambrose, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, Brian Jean, and Luke Ouellette, Alberta Minister of Transportation, announced today.

The federal government will set aside up to one-half of total eligible costs, to a maximum federal contribution of $53 million, for improvements to Highway 63 near Fort McMurray. An interchange will be constructed on Highway 63 at Thickwood Boulevard and another will be constructed at Confederation Way. In addition, Highway 63 will be widened from four lanes to six lanes from Morrison Street to the Athabasca River Bridge. The upgrades will reduce congestion, increase capacity and enhance safety at those locations.

"From coast to coast, the Government of Canada is proud to work with our partners to build the roads, bridges and other crucial infrastructure that will improve safety, boost the economy and create jobs for Canadians," said Minister Ambrose. "This key investment will not only help Canada emerge from this economic downturn but will also create more modern and safer highways that will pave the way for the future economic growth and prosperity of this country."

"Alberta Transportation is moving forward on major highway infrastructure improvements in Fort McMurray and surrounding area that will reduce congestion and improve traffic safety," said Ouellette. "In addition to the construction of the Thickwood Boulevard and Confederation Way interchanges, and road widening south of the river, construction continues on the $127-million five-lane bridge across the Athabasca River."

"Our government is stimulating Alberta's economy by taking action to improve safety on highways in the Fort McMurray area," said Mr. Jean. "This much-needed construction will greatly diminish congestion on Highway 63 in Fort McMurray, make the highway safer for drivers and create jobs locally."

The Government of Canada is accelerating and expanding recent historic federal investments in infrastructure with almost $12 billion in new infrastructure stimulus funding over two years.

For further information, visit www.buildingcanada.gc.ca. Alberta Transportation is online at www.transportation.alberta.ca.

BACKGROUNDER

ROAD UPGRADES IN AND AROUND FORT McMURRAY

The Government of Canada will set aside up to $53 million, to a maximum of 50 per cent of eligible costs, for improvements to Highway 63 in and around Fort McMurray. Federal funding is conditional on the projects meeting all federal eligibility requirements under Building Canada and the signing of a contribution agreement with the Province of Alberta.

Highway 63 Interchange at Thickwood Boulevard

The interchange will be constructed to replace the existing intersection of Highway 63 and Thickwood Boulevard. This interchange will relieve congestion and improve safety at this location.

Highway 63 Interchange at Confederation Way

The interchange will be constructed to replace the existing intersection of Highway 63 and Confederation Way. This interchange will relieve congestion and improve safety at this location.

Highway 63 Widening from Morrison Street to the Athabasca River Bridge

Highway 63 will be widened from four lanes to six lanes from Morrison Street to the Athabasca River Bridge. The widening will increase capacity, relieve congestion and improve safety along this section of Highway 63.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 2:36 PM

They're twinning the highway all the way to Fort McMurray, right? They should build a rail line in the same right of way. It would be cheap if they're built at the same time.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 3:43 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
They're twinning the highway all the way to Fort McMurray, right? They should build a rail line in the same right of way. It would be cheap if they're built at the same time.
Believe it or not, there is a railway link to Fort McMurray:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPR
The Athabasca Northern Railway (ANY) is a provincially regulated company providing rail service between Boyle, AB and Fort McMurray, AB. At Boyle, ANY connects to Lakeland & Waterways Railway who in turn connects with Canadian National Railways in Edmonton. The ANY, which was established in Oct 2000, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Cando Contracting Ltd.
Mind you, the line doesn't run to Fort McMurray itself:

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 11:05 PM

It definitely is true that Ontario is way behind the rest of Canada, but that will never change unless Northern Ontario becomes a separate province.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 11:36 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
It definitely is true that Ontario is way behind the rest of Canada, but that will never change unless Northern Ontario becomes a separate province.
It will change and is changing. Twinning is being done in northern Ontario and it will probably continue to progress. It will start in the areas around Sault Ste. Marie, Kenora, Sudbury and Thunder bay and will continue from there. There has also been much work done with the addition of more and more passing lanes and the extension of #400. It isn't a hopeless situation and it is getting better. What needs to be done now is the extension of #417.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 12:06 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I think Ontario has to be given a break here. The Highway 17 routing of the TCH through Ontario alone is 2125km. That is equivalent to the TCH from the Ontario border to just west of Kamloops, BC. In total, approximately 4300 km of highway in Ontario are signed as part of the TCH (almost half of the total TCH network). Almost all of this travels through Ontario's least populated regions. In areas where there are higher populations, the Ontario expressway network amounts to approximately 2150 km. I'd rather see that investment in areas where it is most useful, and gradually improve Highway 17 as it is necessary.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 4:03 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post

I think the one reason the Coquihalla is not marked as the TCH is that the current TCH 1 being declassified could have a percieved negative impact on tourist traffic on certain communities (Cache Creek, etc). It's hard to say as most travellers know the freeway follows Hwy 5 and take the route regardless of the designation. As an alternative, the route could be renumbered but be called the "Trans Canada Highway - Historical Route" with a special highway shield.
That's a superb idea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada