HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 6:09 AM

Welcome, jatrippe!

Quote:
2. My biggest pet peeve about Montgomery is its small airport. Although the renovations look great, it's still a tiny airport. Huntsville is the same size or smaller than Montgomery and has a much bigger airport. Has anyone heard anything about a phase IV for the airport improvement? Has anyone heard any rumors about new airlines or flights? We got federal funding over a year ago to add two daily flights to Detroit on Northwest but nothing has happened.

Hmm, here's one simple reason. As long as the world's busiest airport is just a direct shot up 85, less than two hours away on the Montgomery-side of Atlanta, the airport will continue to have a long struggle getting a larger passenger base.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 2:29 PM
Midtown Montgomery

New look planned for high-rise

By David Irvin
Montgomery Advertiser

An out of town developer wants to bring luxury condominiums to the Five Points area, a move city officials believe is a major step toward downtown revitalization.

Kim Henderson, a Montgomery native who lives in Virginia, plans to transform the former Hilltop Arms apartment complex on 600 Montgomery St. into The GrandView at Cottage Hill.

The windows of the seven-story building are shattered, the doors are boarded up and weeds surround much of the foundation. But Henderson saw a treasure when he spotted the dilapidated complex on a trip to the Capital City a few years ago.

"One man's junk is another man's gold. And that's what I saw in that building," he said.

Henderson bought the building for nearly $800,000. The total cost of renovations for the 105-unit complex is expected to be about $4 million and work should last 18 months.

Henderson employed Goodwyn, Mills and Cawood, a local architecture firm, to draw up the renovation plans. The idea is to knock out many of the building's interior walls to create 37 luxury condominiums.

The low-end unit will measure 1,400 square feet and sell for about $300,000, Henderson said. Two 5,000-square-foot penthouses on the top will cost $600,000 each. All the units will be two-story except for the penthouse suites.

"It will have a rooftop deck so you can look over the city," Henderson said. "At night it is incredible."

Earlier this year the city brought in city planning firm Dover Kohl and Partners to suggest ways to redevelop the downtown area. Bringing residents downtown is key to providing an environment for businesses to thrive, said Ken Groves, director of the city's development department.

He said the city hasn't contributed any funds to the GrandView project, but "we have certainly told the owner that we are supportive of the project and we'll help where we can."

Groves believes investors will put their money forward when there is a clear plan for redevelopment, which will create solid residential, retail and commercial space downtown.

But Henderson admits, even with the city's master downtown development plan, the major impetus for him was the $157 million hotel and convention center partially funded by the city and the Retirement Systems of Alabama.

Another developer, P&T Hospitality LLC, also jumped at the chance to make money off the massive project, purchasing the nearby Commerce Building in February. At the end of October, the last tenants of the building moved out and it is now being converted into a Hampton Inn and Suites.

Other developers have been revamping buildings in the industrial district near Coosa Street and installing luxury condominiums.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 4:00 PM
Witty comment fail

hope the condo's move foward, as they may help Cottage Hill 'tip' back in the right direction.

A little birdie told me about some possiblities for more condo's close to the ballpark, but no details as of yet.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 5:22 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio

A little birdie told me about some possiblities for more condo's close to the ballpark, but no details as of yet.
Renovations or new construction?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 8:02 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz
Renovations or new construction?
no details as of yet

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 10:37 PM
Witty comment fail

BTW, here's a tiny blurb from an Advertiser interview with the new RBC Alabama guy.

Quote:
Are you going to look at expansion and buy more branches in this area as well?

I don't know that we'll buy more branches.We'll probably add some branches. I don't know what we'll do in Montgomery. It would make sense for us to be downtown in some way. We need a place where we can house our regional leadership team somewhere. It would be likely that we would end up with a branch and some office space in downtown Montgomery.
Not much, but maybe it'll take some of the sting out.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 1:11 AM

Losing corporate or regional headquarters is never a good thing, but it also is not a fatal (or often really serious) blow to downtown revitalization.

After all, survey similarly sized cities with revitalized downtowns and you'll see that large private companies don't drive the effort.

Even so, for all intents and purposes, located right downtown in Montgomery we have the headquarters for one of the largest employers in the state of Alabama.

That's something that places like Greenville S.C., Knoxville, Macon, and other sister cities simply can't match.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 8:08 PM

The Capitol Heights Civic Association is pleased to announce that Midtown Magic on Madison Avenue is scheduled for December 16, 2006, from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm. Midtown Magic on Madison Avenue is the theme of this year’s Candlelight Tour of Homes.

The Capitol Heights Candlelight Tour of Homes is an eagerly anticipated annual event that features tours of some of Montgomery’s finest old homes. These homes are generally Craftsman Cottages constructed in the 1930’s and many are restored to their original splendor. This year's tour includes authentic horse and carriage rides through Midtown Montgomery's Friendliest Neighborhood.

Tickets for Midtown Magic on Madison Avenue are available at Capitol Heights area merchants.

The Capitol Heights Civic Association is an organization of residents dedicated to the preservation and improvement of Midtown Montgomery’s Friendliest Neighborhood. It conducts fund raisers and participates in many civic and charitable activities.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 4:37 PM

Hooter's

Did Hooter's fall through again? I thought it was going in the old Darryl's bulding but I have not seen any activity there.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 4:40 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatrippe
Did Hooter's fall through again? I thought it was going in the old Darryl's bulding but I have not seen any activity there.
That's correct, and the Advertiser said by November--so who knows?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 9:44 PM
Witty comment fail

I've been wondering the same thing...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 5:34 AM

Haven't we learned yet? The Hooter's owners have done this charade five times now in the last 6 years...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1
Haven't we learned yet? The Hooter's owners have done this charade five times now in the last 6 years...
Just drive to Auburn if you want Hooters so bad.

Speaks volumes that Montgomery of all cities can't get itself a Hooters.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 6:16 AM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson
Just drive to Auburn if you want Hooters so bad.

Speaks volumes that Montgomery of all cities can't get itself a Hooters.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 6:25 AM

"pisp!" yo, thoraudio! over here! look! "

...troll.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1
"pisp!" yo, thoraudio! over here! look! "

...troll.
That's an even cheaper shot then what I just threw out there. I can't help it that I'm from Huntsville and not Montgomery.

I'm just stating facts, just like the fact that my Auburn Tigers were humiliated this weekend and it was so bad I had to turn off the TV. Even the "highlights" on ESPN make me sick.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 8:07 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson
That's an even cheaper shot then what I just threw out there. I can't help it that I'm from Huntsville and not Montgomery.

I'm just stating facts, just like the fact that my Auburn Tigers were humiliated this weekend and it was so bad I had to turn off the TV. Even the "highlights" on ESPN make me sick.
You didn't state a fact, you stated your opinion about Montgomery's troubles acquiring a Hooter's franchise. You should make a separate thread if you intend to bad mouth Montgomery, as this is the development thread.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz
You didn't state a fact, you stated your opinion about Montgomery's troubles acquiring a Hooter's franchise. You should make a separate thread if you intend to bad mouth Montgomery, as this is the development thread.
LOL! Don't sweat him too much, Brown Duckz. He can't help it that he's soooo interested in Montgomery that he eagerly checks the thread everytime it's updated.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 5:07 PM
Midtown Montgomery

It's doesn't really bother me--but I'd rather keep that out of the one thread that should stay positive about Montgomery. I'm fully aware of the opinions of Montgomery that are established north of Birmingham.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatrippe
3. I know Jim Wilson & Associates is about to start East Chase Market Center at East Chase. I saw on their website that it will have Old Navy and Dick's Sporting Goods. The new Lowe's is confirmed as going next to the new Walmart on Chantilly. Does anyone know of any other stores coming to East Chase or East Montgomery? Is Costco going to be in East Chase?

Since it seems as though Lowe's has gone ahead with their original plans to locate along Chantilly Pkwy, Jim Wilson is more than likely replacing them with Costco in the EastChase Market center where they had hoped Lowe's would locate.
It is confirmed that Costco is coming, though technically they haven't said EastChase. But it's pretty obvious that they're going to set up there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast