HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 5:33 PM
BANNED

they still havent finished the crown yet.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 12:25 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
they still havent finished the crown yet.
Yeah, that's getting to be really annoying. At this rate, the ESB would have been finished sometimes around 1970 or so...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 7:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/ny...on&oref=slogin

Bryant Park Braces for a Tidal Wave of Traffic

By GLENN COLLINS
June 5, 2008

Bryant Park in Midtown may soon confront a fate that only Yogi Berra could have described: It will be so crowded, nobody will go there anymore.

The most immediate new threat looms to the north: the $1 billion Bank of America Tower at One Bryant Park, a beveled 54-story, 2.1 million-square-foot office building on the northwest corner of Avenue of the Americas and 42nd Street. Several hundred workers have moved in already, and full occupancy of more than 10,000 people is expected by next winter.
Bank or no bank, the park would still be crowded...

From jonoliver

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 7:23 PM
New Yorker for life

From liz.b.

From klr68

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 8:49 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

The Tower just adds to what already is an incredibly dense skyline of Mdtown.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 12:27 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Bank or no bank, the park would still be crowded...

From jonoliver

It's not usually that crowded at all... this was for a concert. Usually it's fine.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 2:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
It's not usually that crowded at all... this was for a concert. Usually it's fine.
Most days I go through there ( I like to cut behind the library) it's usually crowded, but it's no big deal. It's New York, of course it's crowded.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 2:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
The Tower just adds to what already is an incredibly dense skyline of Mdtown.
If not for the spire, it would almost be lost in the Midtown mass.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 5:32 AM

Quote:
From pmarella

^^^ My new background, that is an amazing picture.
Transportation. http://trinity-bay.myminicity.com/tra

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 9:34 PM

Is it just me, or does it seem like, height aside, this building would function better aesthetically without the spire?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 10:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like, height aside, this building would function better aesthetically without the spire?
For me, it would be just a little too bulky, (its bulky now). The spire somehow elongates it.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 1:11 AM
I love boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Agree, unless they light up the spire during night time just like all those spires in Hong Kong.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 2:53 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
For me, it would be just a little too bulky, (its bulky now). The spire somehow elongates it.
Same with the Times Tower. The Spire keeps it balanced.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 3:29 AM
BANNED

I'm generally not a fan of spires, but I really like the well-proportioned spire on this tower. This one is pleasingly proportioned in both height and girth for this building, and it creates a nice grouping of spired towers crowned by the inimitable Empire State Building's. In contrast, look how awful the NYT Tower's puny spire looks.

What the midtown skyline needs now is two or three 1500+ footers. And by that, I mean roof height!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 2:53 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

There are the Madison Square Garden Twin Towers proposal. Each tower having a 'roof' height of 1,400 feet. The proposal at the Hudson Yards is still pending, but hopefully we'll see a 1400+ footer there too.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 4:47 PM
BANNED

This building definately is turning out better than I had expected, I still think the spire is a bit too tall/thin, making it look awkward and out of place...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 4:19 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Like nyguy stated earlier, without the spire it would be lost in the mass that is Midtown.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 5:50 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NYC may not be home to the tallest towers, but it sure makes up for it in the sheer number of towers that calls it home, and the vast density it creates. As Dac said, BOA is just an appetizer of what will come and the potentials that still lie ahead. Just wait and see how vastly different the skylines of both Midtown and Downtown will look like in 5 years time.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 8:57 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

"NYC may not be home to the tallest towers, but it sure makes up for it in the sheer number of towers that calls it home, and the vast density it creates. As Dac said, BOA is just an appetizer of what will come and the potentials that still lie ahead. Just wait and see how vastly different the skylines of both Midtown and Downtown will look like in 5 years time."

I love the New York skyline, nothing else compares IMO, and BOFA certainly makes a great addition, but really, adding 50 skyscrapers to a city with 3 or 4 hundred of them will not VASTLY change things...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 5:28 PM
:-)

Streets Closed After Glass Panel Falls 52 Stories

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ls-52-stories/

By Sewell Chan

Updated, 1:15 p.m. | The authorities cordoned off the area around 42nd Street and the Avenue of the Americas, in the heart of Midtown, on Tuesday morning after a glass panel fell from the Bank of America building under construction at the northwest corner of the intersection. At 10:32 a.m., the panel suddenly came loose, flew through the air across 42nd Street, and fell onto a pedestrian sidewalk bridge outside the former Verizon Building, under renovation at the southwest corner. The panel shattered, sending shards of glass raining onto the sidewalk.

One person had minor injuries and was taken to Bellevue Hospital Center, the Fire Department said.

A person who was briefed on the situation said the glass panel was being fitted around the 52nd floor of the 54-story Bank of America Tower, at One Bryant Park, as an architectural feature. The former Verizon building, which stands to the south across 42nd Street, at 1095 Avenue of the Americas, was recently refitted with a new glass exterior, but the sidewalk shed was still standing because of some remaining construction work.

The intersection has been the site of several accidents in recent months.

Last October, a bathtub-size steel bucket toppled from the roof of the Bank of America tower, banging along the side of the building and trailing a shower of glass and metal as it crashed to the street 53 stories below. Eight people were injured.

In April, a large piece of a 4-by-8-foot panel of glass fell from a window on the 27th floor of the old Verizon Building, hit an elevated sidewalk bridge below and smashed into the van of a Con Edison technician, Nick Cianciotta. Shards of the 300-pound quarter-inch-thick panel sprayed as far as 100 feet away. Passers-by were startled, including several people walking under the shed that runs the length of the block across from Bryant Park. No one was injured.

Designed by the architects Cook+Fox, the Bank of America tower is intended to be environmentally sensitive. Workers broke ground on the tower in August 2004.

Officials from Tishman Construction, which is managing both the construction of the Bank of America tower and the renovation of the old Verizon Building, were meeting with the city’s acting buildings commissioner, Robert D. LiMandri, on Tuesday afternoon.

“At this point the cause is undetermined and we are reviewing all procedures with the department of buildings,” said Richard Kielar, a spokesman for Tishman.

Tishman oversees the contractors at the site, one of which was the facade installation contractor. The contractor’s name was not immediately available.

The object that fell is called a facade panel, which is made of glass enclosed by a metal frame. It is used to cover the facade of the building, some of which encloses the building’s floors and some which rises above the floors and soars up from the building’s roof.

The panels can be of different sizes. Buildings Department officials and Mr. Keilar said the size and weight of the panel that fell were not immediately available.

“It is still ongoing,” Kate Lindquist, a spokeswoman for the Buildings Department, said of the investigation. “Inspectors and engineers are on scene for any safety violations and are conducting an investigation into the cause of the accident.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive