HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The problem is the silly complaints SHOULD NOT be getting air. Journalists need to stick to the story, and not give air time to what are obviously frivolous aspects of a story. Or if they choose to include them as part of the story - call the complainant out on it by asking some pretty straight forward questions. Don't grab the pitchfork and run with it, be objective.
Yeah the issue is they brought out 3 people to be the face of this campaign, one of which's complaint was this frivolous one. Not sure how much vetting the operators of the IG account are doing. It can be easy to make crap up about someone, they seem to be singling out two employees who they demand be fired.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The fact that there are less serious allegations does not absolve Stella's management of the very serious abuse allegations floating around out there. I don't see how a minor complaint all of a sudden negates a more substantial one.

I will be steering well clear of Stella's until this gets resolved.
The most serious complaints seemed to be from women who worked in management and had a direct problem with the executives. I don't doubt those 2 guys are assholes and I hope they get the boot. But the thing about a boycott is you're hurting the most vulnerable employees. The owners will still pay their bills. But if the restaurants are empty then you're depriving front-line staff of the tips they need to pay their rent. So now in addition to having a poor work environment they also aren't making any money. Sure, they could go work somewhere else. But if it was a shitty place to work they could have just done that in the first place. There's a million restaurants out there and they're always hiring. If the end result of a boycott is all the staff just have to get jobs elsewhere anyway, then they should have just left to begin with and found a better employer.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
The most serious complaints seemed to be from women who worked in management and had a direct problem with the executives. I don't doubt those 2 guys are assholes and I hope they get the boot. But the thing about a boycott is you're hurting the most vulnerable employees. The owners will still pay their bills. But if the restaurants are empty then you're depriving front-line staff of the tips they need to pay their rent. So now in addition to having a poor work environment they also aren't making any money. Sure, they could go work somewhere else. But if it was a shitty place to work they could have just done that in the first place. There's a million restaurants out there and they're always hiring. If the end result of a boycott is all the staff just have to get jobs elsewhere anyway, then they should have just left to begin with and found a better employer.
Unfortunately, its what you do. And a boycott would certainly be felt by the owners. The amount of brand damage done over the last few days is pretty damn big. Eventually it will blow over.

As I said before about another company, I know for a fact they lost business because of the "underground" reputation.

I actually worked in many bars, restaurants etc in my life and its a different culture (drinking, sleeping together, partying etc). Owners/managers have to be extra cognizant of maintaining a respectful workplace.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Unfortunately, its what you do. And a boycott would certainly be felt by the owners. The amount of brand damage done over the last few days is pretty damn big. Eventually it will blow over.

As I said before about another company, I know for a fact they lost business because of the "underground" reputation.

I actually worked in many bars, restaurants etc in my life and its a different culture (drinking, sleeping together, partying etc). Owners/managers have to be extra cognizant of maintaining a respectful workplace.
But what's the point of it? Presumably you want to hurt their bottom line so they make improvements for their employees. Kind of pointless if your boycott means those employees have to leave their jobs anyway isn't it? You're gonna help their staff by putting them out of work or depriving them of tips that they were going to use to pay their bills this month?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 9:32 PM

The hard truth is, like it or not, Stella's has a formula that has found success locally. They will go through some tough times but will emerge on the other side of this serving the same mediocre food that people go their in droves for. There might be some behind the scenes changes to management, owners, etc but on the customer facing side I would imagine little changes other than maybe a fundraiser or two for "victims rights" in some shape.

Basically a public apology, a change is leadership and a feel good cause of some sort and they will be right back on point to where the brand has always been.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 10:14 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The hard truth is, like it or not, Stella's has a formula that has found success locally. They will go through some tough times but will emerge on the other side of this serving the same mediocre food that people go their in droves for. There might be some behind the scenes changes to management, owners, etc but on the customer facing side I would imagine little changes other than maybe a fundraiser or two for "victims rights" in some shape.

Basically a public apology, a change is leadership and a feel good cause of some sort and they will be right back on point to where the brand has always been.
Mediocre is a bit harsh IMO.

Stellas works because the quality of food is pretty high for the price point you pay.

Coming from a background of working in the restaurant industry (many moons ago) I have a lot of respect for chains like Stellas, that make their meals almost exclusively from scratch.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Thats a myth. Where ever man has lived he found animals or fish and cooked them. Any country next to the sea, has rivers or lakes eats fish,, that's saturated fat,, healthy fats for the brain. If its a tropical country they have plant based coconuts,, for more saturated fat. Some point to India,, they have fish and eat tons of ghee,, butter from cows. More saturated fat. Meat is not always easy to hunt, but man rarely passed up an opportunity.
When I say plant-based diets I should have said not strictly plant-based...just that the majority of their diet consisted of beans,legumes, vegetables, rice, potatoes, fruits, etc. There is still consumption of animals/fish and their products. National Geographic did a study of various places on earth - people of Okinawa, certain areas in Africa, South America, California, South America.. a few others and the percentage of their diet that was meat/chicken/fish was surprisingly small. I think it was 5 - 10%. Animal products like eggs, milk and cheese were also present but made up a small percentage. For example, one group studied consumed 3 eggs per week on average. It's worth noting, all the groups and their ancestors studied had a history of long lives.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Yes, plenty of research supports this. As dug in as many vegans are, you can see the meat eaters can be just as dug in.

My gf is a strict vegan. Im a meat eater. I wish I could stop though. Mainly because we treat animals terribly. But I've read many books on the subject. You'll never beat the lobby though (meat lobby, milk lobby etc).

As far as brains go, fortunately, humans have evolved already. And we have supplements.

We can definitely cut down on meat substantially, especially the meat loaded with crap that harms us.
For sure. It seems that there are many people out there who need to have meat/chicken/pork/fish for every single meal. It's excessive and there are other ways to obtain one's daily dose of protein. Personally, I'd like to cut down a day or two each week without eating any fish or animals with another few days where I am only consuming one serving.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:53 PM

When we stop fracking, but stricter emissions regulations in place, and don't have a government against green plans, I'll consider eating one less meat meal a week. Til then, give me all of it.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:22 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
When we stop fracking, but stricter emissions regulations in place, and don't have a government against green plans, I'll consider eating one less meat meal a week. Til then, give me all of it.
Are you trying to sound exactly like that government (and others like it)?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
But what's the point of it? Presumably you want to hurt their bottom line so they make improvements for their employees. Kind of pointless if your boycott means those employees have to leave their jobs anyway isn't it? You're gonna help their staff by putting them out of work or depriving them of tips that they were going to use to pay their bills this month?
Its a no win scenario. Supporting Stella's by putting money in the pockets of the management and owners wont make them change. Thats part of the issue here....their arrogance and the love for the brand in the community.

I'd suggest a boycott in the short term works to a degree. It will never last anyway, but you reward the brand for making positive changes. If they do, then go back.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Our excessive consumption of meat is one of the greatest causes of pollution and climate change. I certainly eat my fair share of animal products so I can't claim to stand on a pedestal in support of a strict vegan diet. However, the majority of us would do well to decrease our consumption of animals.

It's worth noting that many countries in the past and present have existed largely with plant-based diets.
Thats another myth and fudged data that did not make a fair comparison.

https://www.businessinsider.com/givi...ferrer=twitter

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:34 AM

Article in the Freep today about the "mysterious" closure of both Agora and The Beachcomber. The Forks' spokesperson is claiming surprise about Beachcomber:

Quote:
The closures caught everyone at The Forks off guard, said Chelsea Thomson, manager of marketing and communications.

"We were just as surprised as anyone to hear of their closure. We had a new lease out to them and were waiting for them to get back to us. We have no plans for the current space, as this information is still very new," Thomson said.
There was talk in this thread about the impending lease expiration for Beachcomber months ago, so this sounds like spin.

Quote:
As for Beachcomber I know The Forks is desperately trying to get them out but unfortunately the old retail manager YEARS back signed an unfavourable lease with them that gives the tenant the option to extend every few years and right now they have no legal grounds to force them out. Only way would be for them to convince them not to renew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
When the beachcomber is shown the door at the end of next year I understand at least some of their outdoor space will be an extension of the Commons. Sounds very cool. The indoor space likely divided into two or three units.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
Article in the Freep today about the "mysterious" closure of both Agora and The Beachcomber. The Forks' spokesperson is claiming surprise about Beachcomber:

There was talk in this thread about the impending lease expiration for Beachcomber months ago, so this sounds like spin.
Yes but read what I said – Beachcomber had the option to renew in the contract, The Forks had no choice but to offer them a new lease whether they wanted to or not. And as Tache pointed out they still had well over a year left on their current one.

Just because they're surprised doesn't mean they're not happy. I can't fathom why anyone would go to Beachcomber's (outside patio season) over food and drinks in The Common – that place was awful.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Yes but read what I said – Beachcomber had the option to renew in the contract, The Forks had no choice but to offer them a new lease whether they wanted to or not. And as Tache pointed out they still had well over a year left on their current one.

Just because they're surprised doesn't mean they're not happy. I can't fathom why anyone would go to Beachcomber's (outside patio season) over food and drinks in The Common – that place was awful.
there had been pretty good reviews for Beachcomber on Trip Advisor recently. Just because a place was awful at one point in time, it doesn't mean it can't improve. I'm going to miss appetizers and drinks on the patio with my work crew. With Fionn McCools, Sidney's, Muddy Waters, and Beachcomber now gone, that's a huge amount of empty space to fill. Lots of empty space creates a negative impression with the public (not to mention there are now only 2 large restaurants left at The Forks Market and Johnston Terminal...I hope you aren't hoping those close down too).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 6:22 PM

I went recently and it was still awful (IMO). That is one of the most desirable locations in the city, it'll fill in a heartbeat, and with something much better.

Finn's (it wasn't Fionn McCool's) closed because it was also very bad and losing money like crazy, was owned by Wow! That space is in Johnston Terminal, which is not owned by The Forks, and that space was filled in the summer – it's an office now.

The Forks may be converting the Muddy's back into a public pavillion as it was originally, and with the major renovations coming to the second floor of the Market, I'd hazard a guess they may be happy, as they now have carte blanche to start fresh.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:

I bet The Forks' people would be happier if they hadn't been strung along with promises that the lease would be renewed. That's a huge space to reconfigure in a rush. The Agora leaseholder must be just as pissed.

I always found the food fine but out of line with the prices. There was always a sense of disappointment the rare times we went. Like, it's just a taco salad people.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:14 PM

[QUOTE=michelleb;8381847]I bet The Forks' people would be happier if they hadn't been strung along with promises that the lease would be renewed. That's a huge space to reconfigure in a rush.

table were just turned on the forks, they yank leases and strung people along all the time

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Was at Stellas PlugIn tonight. Hardly anyone eating at 6 pm.

This could be due to the weather, as it was snowing out. Even some buses were almost empty, the ones I _saw_ from the restaurant window.

I hope this whole issue gets dealt with and we can move on. It would be really really sad to lose this fine restaurant.

I'm hoping that at their next Board meeting, the current owners who are causing these problems, will be immediately ousted from the company. That is the only way to go.

Of course there's always The Pint.
How can you oust the owners? They're the owners. My understanding it is the CEO and branch manager that have been causing the problems. They can be ousted.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I'm not surprised that Stella's is taking it on the chin. With the explosion of allegations over the past few days, Stella's has suddenly become synonymous with harassment and all manner of inappropriate behaviour toward employees. Their image is so badly tarnished right now it would be hard to imagine seriously suggesting lunch at Stella's.

It's unfortunate because it was a pretty good place to eat... before all of this came to light.
Apparently people are going. It only hurts the employees making a living there not to go. Short sighted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan