HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 8:14 PM

I'm not a scientist, but there's definitely a difference between eating some corn and eating a cow who's eaten corn. If that's what you were getting at.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 8:49 PM
BANNED

yeah, obviously? i'm just saying, the meat that you buy from supermarket's now doesn't have the same nutrient load as meat that was traditionally relied upon for large parts of people's diets. that's a huge enough reason to drastically reduce our meat consumption and find nutrients in other places.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 9:21 PM

Also BDI is Coming To Kildonan Place

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Also BDI is Coming To Kildonan Place
Food Court or Standalone unit in the mall?

I just hope they don't go the same way as Skinners when they thought it was a good idea to open a unit in the City Place food court.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 9:49 PM
What could go wrong?

PF Chang's started construction at the old Target site on St James.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I just hope they don't go the same way as Skinners when they thought it was a good idea to open a unit in the City Place food court.
To Skinners credit somewhat when they opened in City Place it was basically an expansion of what had been a successful location at The Forks. Not totally sure why what they have been doing at The Forks didn't work for City Place, perhaps the difference in rent was a factor?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 10:45 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
yeah, obviously? i'm just saying, the meat that you buy from supermarket's now doesn't have the same nutrient load as meat that was traditionally relied upon for large parts of people's diets. that's a huge enough reason to drastically reduce our meat consumption and find nutrients in other places.
I'm just saying that meat has a different nutrient load than what's found in plants that the animals consume and that it is more difficult to obtain the same quantities of those nutrients by eating a meat-free diet. Plus it tastes better
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:

Food Court

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Oh the Curty.

There is one good place for food and drink. Rae's bistro at Lag and Headmaster makes some damn good food. Comfort oriented but defeinitely creative, and good cocktails/beer.

Jeffrey's surprised me. That Pizza is awesome and I've enjoyed the burger as well. Ordered through skip though, as there is little appeal to being there... hopefully the renovations to the strip mall pull Jeffrey's just a touch upmarket...
I like Jeffrey's pizza.far for me but I go a few times a year for it.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:

I just hope that BDI in KP does better than when they opened one in the old Unicity Mall back in the 70's. It did not last very long.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 12:06 AM

I hear Mary Brown's opened on Mcphillips near Superstore and Sage Creek location has been open for awhile.
They plan more locations as does Popeye's. The 2 above mentioned has far superior chicken to some of the institutions once famous here for it. less greasy, tender, crispier, better flavour. I will say Chicken Chef is quite good.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
To Skinners credit somewhat when they opened in City Place it was basically an expansion of what had been a successful location at The Forks. Not totally sure why what they have been doing at The Forks didn't work for City Place, perhaps the difference in rent was a factor?
Their location in City Place food court may have also been a factor, you may recall they were sort of off to the left side as you come in the court (where the the lobby was to the old 2nd floor theater).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 1:25 AM

I had Popeyes shrimp, fish, onion ring combo. Gut pains for 12 hours. Never had so much batter before. Didn’t enjoy it at all

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 5:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I had Popeyes shrimp, fish, onion ring combo. Gut pains for 12 hours. Never had so much batter before. Didn’t enjoy it at all
And yet, people want to import more of this garbage from Yankeeland because it soooooooo good and great when they eat it south of the border.

I will never understand the fascination and obsession with American fast food chains.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 2:57 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
you understand that all the nutrients that animals get are from plants? meat was simply a more effective way to transport nutrient before agriculture and larger scale, permanent societies. it's not necessary anymore.

not to mention, most of the meat you're eating is incredibly low nutrient because of the diet's of most animals in our food production system. when people were hunting wild game, sure, things were different. a cow that's been plowed corn it's whole life is something else.
Cattle raised on the praires don't eat corn. Young cattle are shipped from the range lands of Alberta to feedlots where they are finished in feedlots for approx. 90 days.

After delivery they start on a diet of nothing but chopped straw to settle them down after the long trip. Alfalfa silage is added to the feed in increasing quantities every day until the straw is eliminated. Then rolled barley is added in increasing quantities until the silage is almost eliminated. Then they are shipped for slaughter.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 3:17 PM

BDI at KP now gives me two reasons to go there (the other being Arby's).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Their location in City Place food court may have also been a factor, you may recall they were sort of off to the left side as you come in the court (where the lobby was to the old 2nd floor theater).
Expanding the food place seating definitely made sense when it happened. It actually took the place of the CN employee fitness centre which itself had taken over the space of the theater.

The weird positioning in the food court definitely did not help. From what I recall a few places were actually opened in that same location before they more or less gave up. It is somewhat interesting though that Za and Peg City Poutine opened in virtually the same position as the old City Place Skinners and have achieved some level of success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
I will never understand the fascination and obsession with American fast food chains.
Chain restaurants in general, not just American fast food, cook according to a very rigid formula (recipe). That means a customer can walk into a location just about anywhere on the globe, order the same menu item as back home and have a very similar experience. Well the food might not be the best quality ever if you have issues where your body doesn't react well to certain foods, such as giving you bad heart burn or having a food allergy, it can be something people seek out. It can also be a memory association as well such as the place you used to go with your grandparents as a child or that time on a road trip across the USA you had a great time there that had nothing to do with the food.

From an operator perspective, the biggest thing you get is the sign you hang over your door. That brings in more customers than you could running a single location restaurant serving the exact same food. You also get all sorts of processes and systems that try to guide you in how to be successful so you can focus on putting out the food and not need to worry about which supplier you should order your staff uniforms from for example.

The other piece to keep in mind is well some people personal do not like chain restaurants the sheer number of brands and locations out there suggests the vast majority of people eat at them in sufficient numbers to make it is very profitable business.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 4:03 PM
keep the good times going

BDI has been operating a small booth at the U of M foodcourt since last winter, they've been doing well it seems. Maybe that has something to do with their expansion?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
And yet, people want to import more of this garbage from Yankeeland because it soooooooo good and great when they eat it south of the border.

Advertising and marketing. People will never admit to being susceptible to it, but clearly it works wonders. There's a reason untold millions are spent on putting restaurant logos in your face all the time.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 8:07 PM

Take The Dive

Screw chains! Check out this 8-episode series on some of the best dine and dives in Winnipeg. The city has such a wealth of quality locally run restaurants, you never need to eat monotonous crap franchised chain food again, support local!

Take the Dive - Episode 1 - Burgers
The burger is paramount, rediscover the "Art of the Burger" in this episode as we dine at Winnipeg's Red Top Drive Inn, Wanabees Diner, VJ's Drive Inn, and White Star Diner.
Video Link

Take the Dive - Episode 2 - Downtown
In this episode, we check out four of our favourite downtown Winnipeg diner's: Bleachers Sports Bar & Café, Mitzis Chicken Finger Restaurant, Faminas Famous Roti & Curry, and Kum Koon Garden.
Video Link

Take the Dive - Episode 3 - Breakfast
They say it's the most important meal of the day, and Winnipeg has plenty of breakfast options. We visit Luda's Deli, 1958, Luigi's Restaurant and Catering, and The Village Diner.
Video Link

Take the Dive - Episode 4 - Deli
It's hard to beat a good deli sandwich, follow us as we explore four of Winnipeg's best delis: Ira's Deli Downstairs, Bernstein's Delicatessen, Oscars Delicatessen, and Myer's Delicatessen.
Video Link

Take the Dive - Episode 5 - Pub Crawl
A great pub makes you feel at home. We visited four of Winnipeg's best - The Regal Beagle, The Tallest Poppy, The Yellow Dog, and Times Changed: High and Lonesome Club.
Video Link

Take the Dive - Worldly City - Episode 6
Winnipeg is a cultural city, and the restaurants here prove it. Explore the tastes of Mexico at BMC Market, the Philippines Pampanga Restaurant, Latin American at Café Dario and Bisita.
Video Link

Take the Dive - Coffee - Episode 7
Neighbourhood coffee shops is where it's at. Get your fix at these four Winnipeg specialty coffee shops: XCues Café Lounge, The Club: Santarem Recreation Club, The Strong Badger Coffeehouse, and Deluca's Coffee.
Video Link

Take the Dive - Desserts - Episode 8
The end to every great dining adventure is with an exceptional dessert. Johnnies Sticky Buns, Goodies Bake Shop, Mordens' of Winnipeg Candy Manufacturing, Grace Café are some of our Winnipeg favourites.
Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan