HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:30 PM

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Something is wrong with the FAA entries. They also have heights for 600 Guadalupe listed as 679, 146 and 462 as well as multiple entries for each of those heights.
I believe those entries are the heights for the setbacks and podium.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 10:03 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Hah. Two feet taller than OKC's tallest. Take that OU!
Ours will also scale with the skyline. Man, OKC is an incongruous mess of a skyline now.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 10:07 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
That is a "proposal" and not actual/official. So, let's not be too alarmed that they are shrinking the tower just yet.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 10:09 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
That is a "proposal" and not actual. So, let's not bee too alarmed that they are shrinking the tower.
From what we've been told it could scale anywhere from the 800 foot range up to North of 1,000 depending on where the residential market is.

I'm hoping if they are already up there they go higher. Austin isn't NYC or San Fran obviously, but they could build some multi-story penthouses towards the top of the building and fetch a big premium for them. I would think the Austin economy could support a handful of ultra-luxury units and a jump of that height at that location would guarantee unobstructed views for a 10-20+ years.

Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
That is a "proposal" and not actual/official. So, let's not be too alarmed that they are shrinking the tower just yet.
It's a "proposed" case for the FAA, not a proposal for the building height. I think 847' is the building's height. FAA filings are made with the actual height of buildings and cranes. The 873' came from the elevation with the sloped roof. All of the renderings and models show the flat roof that was announced 850'. Hopefully we should see current elevations in the near future since the site plan is under review. It's also a really good sign that the FAA filing was made so early in the process, that's unusual.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
From what we've been told it could scale anywhere from the 800 foot range up to North of 1,000 depending on where the residential market is.

I'm hoping if they are already up there they go higher. Austin isn't NYC or San Fran obviously, but they could build some multi-story penthouses towards the top of the building and fetch a big premium for them. I would think the Austin economy could support a handful of ultra-luxury units and a jump of that height at that location would guarantee unobstructed views for a 10-20+ years.

Fingers crossed.
I believe that if we see the 10 office floors added then there is a pretty good chance HQ2 might be headed to A-town. There's just too much of a coincidence there....Whole Foods bought and this tower being planned and announced within weeks of each other. My fingers and toes are crossed.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 11:17 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I asked Blume if the upper portion of the building is what could be added to. It was a simple question, and I was trying to get him talking. But he just said he can't say too much, and left it at that.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I asked Blume if the upper portion of the building is what could be added to. It was a simple question, and I was trying to get him talking. But he just said he can't say too much, and left it at that.
Maybe Amazon is in negotiations right now for office floors, I hope we get as much height out of 600 Guadalupe as possible.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
A flat out definitive answer could have slammed the door shut on a mid seventies tower, so perhaps there is still a chance. The timing on ground breaking and an announcement from Amazon seems to be perhaps more than a coincidence, or I'm just over thinking this out of perpetual optimism. The possibility of taking an elevator from home to work and back home again is very intriguing. Would be a nice incentive to relocate here. I'll dream big and think they are going to add 10 floors to each section and give us a 90+ floor behemoth. But that would actually look out of place for Austin. 70ish sounds about right.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:55 AM

It was very coincidental that Amazon acquired Whole Foods and all of a sudden Austin could support a potential 1000 foot building. If Austin ends up with a 1000 foot building, then Austin must be destined for greatness because of how unprecedented it is for a city of Austin's size to get a building that tall. I had assumed all along that some huge tech company wanted to expand in a big way in Downtown Austin when this tower was announced and initially thought it was Facebook. It could be Amazon. Amazon might be behind Block 71 as well, for all we know. These are huge office buildings that are getting under way soon, when Austin was previously only building mid size (colorado tower) and smaller (IBC & Indeed buildings) office buildings aside from the 500 West 2nd building, which houses another huge tech company, Google. I think something big for downtown is in the works, and I hope it's Amazon moving to town with HQ2. Even if it isn't HQ2, Amazon may want a much bigger space for Whole Foods in Downtown Austin to consolidate those operations as that business will surely get much bigger now that it's under Amazon's wing. They were poking around at Shoal Creek Walk, apparently, but probably decided it wasn't worth it due to the limitations of the lot and maybe found their new space with 600 Guadalupe.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:33 AM

It's interesting that so many of our collective antennae are up about the circumstances driving this building. And that, incidentally, so many of us think that Amazon could have already chosen us for HQ2.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:36 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
It was very coincidental that Amazon acquired Whole Foods and all of a sudden Austin could support a potential 1000 foot building. If Austin ends up with a 1000 foot building, then Austin must be destined for greatness because of how unprecedented it is for a city of Austin's size to get a building that tall. I had assumed all along that some huge tech company wanted to expand in a big way in Downtown Austin when this tower was announced and initially thought it was Facebook. It could be Amazon. Amazon might be behind Block 71 as well, for all we know. These are huge office buildings that are getting under way soon, when Austin was previously only building mid size (colorado tower) and smaller (IBC & Indeed buildings) office buildings aside from the 500 West 2nd building, which houses another huge tech company, Google. I think something big for downtown is in the works, and I hope it's Amazon moving to town with HQ2. Even if it isn't HQ2, Amazon may want a much bigger space for Whole Foods in Downtown Austin to consolidate those operations as that business will surely get much bigger now that it's under Amazon's wing. They were poking around at Shoal Creek Walk, apparently, but probably decided it wasn't worth it due to the limitations of the lot and maybe found their new space with 600 Guadalupe.
The hype about Amazon is very premature at this stage. Remember cities across the nation are going to be competing so the idea that Austin is a shoe in is just not true. The tower has been in the works long before Amazon announced the Whole Foods buyout. I'd say for about 2 years at least.

Let's see what happens in October when Amazon accepts the proposals to see what we are really up against. If Amazon really wanted to pick Austin to be their 2nd HQ then they wouldn't have done a city contest sort of speak to pick the best candidate. Let's step back a bit and just wait and see before putting hopes up.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:38 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
The hype about Amazon is very premature at this stage. Remember cities across the nation are going to be competing so the idea that Austin is a shoe in is just not true. The tower has been in the works long before Amazon announced the Whole Foods buyout. I'd say for about 2 years at least.

Let's see what happens in October when Amazon accepts the proposals to see what we are really up against. If Amazon really wanted to pick Austin to be their 2nd HQ then they wouldn't have done a city contest sort of speak to pick the best candidate. Let's step back a bit and just wait and see before putting hopes up.
You always field proposals/offers. It's how you get the best deal out of the one you really want.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 6:29 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
You always field proposals/offers. It's how you get the best deal out of the one you really want.
Which means Austin is far from a sure thing.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 5:39 PM

They probably also have already polled their potential transfers, or soon to be, to get an idea where they would like to go, even if its a small factor in their decision. That might go our way. But I keep thinking the east coast would be the front runner, despite the cost of living there. I want to put this whole H2Q thing on the back burner, but this is very intriguing just trying to solve the mystery ahead of time, to say the least...I suppose I have better things to wrack my brain with, but actually, I don't....sniff...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:25 PM
Member since 2001

847'. Damn. This one is already getting shorter. It went from being 23' taller to 3' shorter than 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York. Shucks!

NOTE: 30 Rock also has a height of 872' posted for it. I believe that might include antenna.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
847'. Damn. This one is already getting shorter. It went from being 23' taller to 3' shorter than 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York. Shucks!

NOTE: 30 Rock also has a height of 872' posted for it. I believe that might include antenna.
Is the height final yet or still subject to change? I wouldn't think construction would start till mid next year.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Is the height final yet or still subject to change? I wouldn't think construction would start till mid next year.
The height won't be "final" until the site plan is release. Even then it could change before construction.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 10:14 PM

FAA filings have a construction schedule. This is for 600 Guadalupe:

Work Schedule: 08/07/2018 to 12/31/2021

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...862656&row=232

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin