HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 5:34 PM

looks like a shopping mall surface parking lot with a shopping mall food court inside. Wish they would get rid of some of the surface parking.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inman Parker View Post
looks like a shopping mall surface parking lot with a shopping mall food court inside. Wish they would get rid of some of the surface parking.
Rest assured.. It's not permenant. It's a transitional treatment until the economy can support the full buildout. The master plan stills calls for nearly all of it to be developed at some point...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 12:23 AM

Ponce City Market

I trust Jamestown.

What's that "football field" in the middle? Just park space?

You can see the "artefact bosquet" from O4W park.

Speaking of surface parking, would love to see them build that road where the Midtown Place parking lot is now.

Last edited by ATLaffinity; Jun 30, 2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: nm

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 1:52 AM

When was that area ever a "center of downtown commerce"?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
When was that area ever a "center of downtown commerce"?
I know! It's baffling and I've seen that quote more than once. The other multiple-site-error is that the building is from "the turn of the last century". Uh, no, the 1920's

Strange

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokezero View Post
I came across something very interesting about 12th and Midtown on Selig's website today. The site plan for the project now shows it as an 8-block development bounded by Juniper, 13th, 11th, and SPRING STREET. The last I ever heard anything about the project, it only went as far west as Peachtree Walk. The site plan can be found here. Anyone here any updates on this project regarding all these newly added city blocks?

A different site plan on their website shows Phase 4a (half of the block behind 1010 Midtown fronting Crescent Avenue) delivering in Spring 2013 as a residential tower named 77 12th Street. This site plan is shown here. Anyone know anything about this particular phase of the project?
I'm just a lurker here. But, I used to live on 12th between W. Peachtree and Peachtree. I moved there in August of 1999, and I remember thinking that it was so weird that there were all these sketchy, run-down, low-density buildings right next to these tall highrises, like the 4 Seasons. I moved out of the place I was in because our neighboring tenant had stunk up the place from being dead from O.D.ing on drugs and nobody noticing for weeks. Anyways, I am very glad that they are on their way to transforming that part of midtown into a more livable, and more appropriately urban place. The efforts that the Midtown Alliance are making huge differences in the livability and vibrancy of Atlanta.

Last edited by Orlando; Jul 7, 2011 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 11:11 PM

Update on the College Football Hall of Fame

Groundbreaking is scheduled for February 2012 and the opening for fall 2013. The project has grown from a 50,000-square-foot, $50-million facility to a 75,000-square-foot, $82-million facility. $33 million in commitments have been secured, including, he said, $15 million in state bonds, $6 million from Chick-fil-A, $5 million from the Chick-fil-A Bowl and $2.5 million from Coca-Cola. The organization will need $48 million before they can break ground.

AJC

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Groundbreaking is scheduled for February 2012 and the opening for fall 2013. The project has grown from a 50,000-square-foot, $50-million facility to a 75,000-square-foot, $82-million facility. $33 million in commitments have been secured, including, he said, $15 million in state bonds, $6 million from Chick-fil-A, $5 million from the Chick-fil-A Bowl and $2.5 million from Coca-Cola. The organization will need $48 million before they can break ground.

AJC
I would expect the NCAA, ACC, SEC, and others to chip in something. God knows they have it to give.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2011, 6:00 PM

Medical Building slated for Downtown

A more than $17.5 million medical office development is being planned in Downtown Atlanta, according to a building permit filed with the city of Atlanta.

The project calls for a 238,000-square-foot office building and parking deck at 206 Edgewood Ave.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...-downtown.html

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropundit View Post
A more than $17.5 million medical office development is being planned in Downtown Atlanta, according to a building permit filed with the city of Atlanta.

The project calls for a 238,000-square-foot office building and parking deck at 206 Edgewood Ave.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...-downtown.html
Wow this is awesome. It'll replace a really crappy looking vacant building and it's directly across from the Market and on the streetcar path. Any idea on when construction will start?

Last edited by echinatl; Jul 18, 2011 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
Wow this is awesome. It'll replace a really crappy looking vacant building and it's directly across from the Market and on the streetcar path. Any idea on when construction will start?
I hope they dont tear down the vacant building. A mistake that Atlanta has made in the past is tearing down old buildings instead of redoing them. Edgewood/ Auburn ave area doesnt look great now, but if they cant do it right that should be one of the more charming areas in atlanta (which is severly lacking in this city). If a building cant be salvaged structurally, then I'm all for building something new.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 7:41 PM

Does anyone know the exact lot they will be using?

The footprint of the existing building at 206 Edgewood is about 90'x50' or ~5000 SF. They've gotta be using a lot more land than that (or else this would be a very tall building).

There is a ~200x200 empty lot right next to this building, which is a more reasonable lot size for such a development. Supposing that 50% of the lot is used for the building itself (and the rest a parking garage) that would lead to an ~11-story building. No matter what, it will be good for the area to have more of an office/business presence on Edgewood.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inman Parker View Post
I hope they dont tear down the vacant building. A mistake that Atlanta has made in the past is tearing down old buildings instead of redoing them. Edgewood/ Auburn ave area doesnt look great now, but if they cant do it right that should be one of the more charming areas in atlanta (which is severly lacking in this city). If a building cant be salvaged structurally, then I'm all for building something new.
The noted historic buildings are protected by the City of Atlanta Historic Preservation Code. However, as a higher level government, Grady (a creature of the county) is not subject to City law and, thus, will be tearing these beautiful buildings down, despite the protests of the City of Atlanta.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
Does anyone know the exact lot they will be using?

The footprint of the existing building at 206 Edgewood is about 90'x50' or ~5000 SF. They've gotta be using a lot more land than that (or else this would be a very tall building).

There is a ~200x200 empty lot right next to this building, which is a more reasonable lot size for such a development. Supposing that 50% of the lot is used for the building itself (and the rest a parking garage) that would lead to an ~11-story building. No matter what, it will be good for the area to have more of an office/business presence on Edgewood.
According to the permit filed with the city this building is apparently going to be 5 floors plus basement, 238,000sf, and the parking structure will have 445 parking spaces.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 12:40 AM

Cousins starts Emory Point

The first phase will include more than 80,000 square feet of retail space and 443 luxury apartments. This $100 million phase started earlier in July and is expected to be finished by fall 2012.

Business Chronicle

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jul 20, 2011 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 4:31 PM

Emory Point looks great, although I'm not wild about the skywalks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdan View Post
According to the permit filed with the city this building is apparently going to be 5 floors plus basement, 238,000sf, and the parking structure will have 445 parking spaces.
Hmm, so the footprint is going to be like 40k SF? In that case I'm less than enthused--that's a huge amount of land to be taken by a midrise medical building. Even worse if it removes a 2-story historic building that could help give the neighborhood character. Is the medical building at least going to be required to have storefronts?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 2:41 PM

Porshe consulting sets up shop in Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 4:16 PM

Morehouse Medical School adding 200,000 SF over the next decade.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...house-med.html

Great news!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Nice density, but why a 516 space detached parking deck for a building with 320 units, two blocks from a MARTA station?
Why doesn't Atlanta construct underground parking decks like any other major city?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere 2020 View Post
Why doesn't Atlanta construct underground parking decks like any other major city?
because land is cheap and plentiful by comparison

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta