HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Harbour Plaza Residences II in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 8:31 AM

So I was just just looking at the elevations over on UT and it looks as though the circular tower is in fact oval. I think they may have done that barber pole design just to give council an idea of how it is circular and not square. Also the square tower appears to have a curve on the north west side. I'm building a quick mock up of it now sans textures just so you can see what I mean.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 11:21 AM

Last edited by Andrewjm3D; Jan 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 2:28 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

The draft sketches can be better viewed directly from the City's Staff Report:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2...file-43359.pdf

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 4:16 PM

andrew, did you do that on sketchup? if so can you send me a link of the file? im trying to make a model of downtown that has all the proposed and under construction buildings in it. this would be a great improvement over my current model.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:24 PM
Website Manager

nice work Andrew!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
andrew, did you do that on sketchup? if so can you send me a link of the file? im trying to make a model of downtown that has all the proposed and under construction buildings in it. this would be a great improvement over my current model.

Thanks guys, Insertnamehere, I built it in Maya, as far as I know sketchup is not cappable of import and maya or max files. If you know of a way or file format you can use let me know and I'll be more then happy for you to have the model.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 8:38 PM

i like this proposal. being tall and slender buys lots of leeway with me. haha.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:09 PM
gettin' rich!

Once Menkes is finished the push for the 50 storey Noir Condos, this.complex will be the next in the pipleline to launch.

Look for this one to begin sales before the end of the year.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 3:36 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
Thanks guys, Insertnamehere, I built it in Maya, as far as I know sketchup is not cappable of import and maya or max files. If you know of a way or file format you can use let me know and I'll be more then happy for you to have the model.
Sketchup can import 3ds files, if that helps.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
gettin' rich!

Noir Condos also by Menkes, released a rendering yesterday

Noir Condos will be 50 floors.

After Noir the marketing push begins for this project.

Marketing could begin this fall or Winter.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
i like this proposal. being tall and slender buys lots of leeway with me. haha.
Same here.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 2:00 PM
gettin' rich!

The parcel next to this one, is 30 Bay.

The city is working on a proposal with oxford properties for Mixed Use Hotel/Condo/Office.

Wait and see situation I guess.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 3:18 AM
gettin' rich!

Updated Information for this project

• Office component increased to 37 floors from 31 Floors
• New renderings released with the updated office tower and updated condo design
• The two 70 Floor towers are now both squared off designs without rounded edges as indicated before.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 10:43 AM

Nice to hear the office tower has had the height increase. An extra 6 floors in good in my books.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 11:00 AM
gettin' rich!

Here are the updated renderings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automation Gallery View Post
I dont know about awful...i figure there will be another 1/2 dozen or more 250 meter builds towards the east, in which time this so called classic view of the skyline from the islands will have to be viewed from a different location...Hey, there will be a new more modern skyline viewed from the islands, which is all good..

Here is the bigger picture of this development ....

Oh by the way, i like the way they have included the park there to substitute the York St. off-ramp....lets keep our fingers crossed

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 12:43 AM
gettin' rich!

I walked by this site today and the elevations have not been updated.

Although I'm sure they will be eventually.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:52 PM
gettin' rich!

From the March 7 WT DRP:

3.0 Private Development Proposal: 1 York Street
ID#: 1047
Project Type: Buildings/Structures
Proponent: Menkes Developments Ltd.
Architect/Designer: architectsAlliance (aA) with Sweeny Sterling Finlayson & Co. Architects Inc. (&Co)
Review Stage: Conceptual/Schematic Design
Review Round: One
Presenter(s): Peter Clewes, architectsAlliance
Delegation: Mark Sterling, &Co.; Adam Feldman, aA; David Copeland, &Co.; Jude Tersigni, Menkes

3.1 Introduction to the Issues
James Parakh, Urban Designer with the City of Toronto introduced the project noting that the proposed development will occupy an entire city block in close proximity to the waterfront. Mr. Parakh added that the development will contain an exciting mix of uses which are distinct yet complimentary to each other. Mr. Parakh then asked the Panel to please comment on the following:
a) Grade Relationship: How well does the buildings ground floor plan integrate the various programmatic uses with each other and with the surrounding public realm. Consider set backs on York Street, relationship to the Gardiner and vehicular access throughout the site.
b) Base: Please comment on the design of the base (podium) of the towers, and its ability to form an articulated yet unifying street wall. Please comment on the animation of the street wall, and in particular it’s relationship with the future improved city park to the south.
c) Top: Please comment on the design of the towers and their role in contributing to the skyline character of the downtown. Should there be any variation to the heights of the residential tower?

3.2 Project Presentation
Peter Clewes, Principal with architects Alliance, introduced the project noting that this presentation was intended to cover both the Conceptual and Schematic design reviews. Mr. Clewes then presented the development program and proposed schedule, noting that they are hoping to start construction in October 2012. Mr. Clewes then presented the design including floor plans, elevations and views, concluding with the sustainability framework.

3.3 Panel Questions
The Chair then asked the Panel for questions of clarification only.
One Panel member asked what the facing distance was between the two residential towers. Mr. Clewes answered that though the Tall Buildings Guidelines stipulate a 25m minimum, they are proposing 17m, feeling that a case could be made for a reduced distance because the towers are offset.
Another Panel member asked if 20m was an appropriate distance between the residential tower and the commercial tower. Mr. Clewes replied that he felt that it was appropriate, given that many City streets are 20m wide. Another Panel member asked if the lights from the office tower at night would affect the residents in the towers adjacent. Mr. Clewes stated that they could design features to mitigate the potential impacts.
Another Panel member wondered why the team was going for a 70 storey tower. Mr. Clewes answered that with over 1 Billion dollars in investment into the transit hub (Union Station), they felt that the location warranted the investment, adding that 70 stories is the maximum that the tower could structurally be.
Another Panel member asked if the building face was set back the same distance as the Maple Leaf Square development to the north. Mr. Clewes stated that the development is set back the same distance (5.0m) from the property line as Maple Leaf square, noting that perhaps the property lines on the development parcels are not aligned, making it appear closer to York Street.
One Panel member asked if the design team had considered aligning the West façade of the building with York Street. Mr. Clewes stated that currently they had not, adding that they can look at it.
Another Panel member wondered why the design team had chosen to locate the “PATH” connection on the North side of the building instead of the South side. Mr. Clewes stated that he could not confidently answer that, noting that it could have been due to the fact that there was retail frontage on the South façade.
Another Panel member asked if thermal breaks for the balconies were intended, adding that they should be factored into the cost of the development. Mr. Clewes stated that he did not believe thermal breaks had been designed or priced, adding that the balconies are intended to provide passive solar shading for the units.

3.4 Panel Comments
The Chair then opened the meeting to Panel comments.
Several Panel members felt that there should be a consistent public realm treatment and setbacks along York Street.
One Panel member stated that they would like to see more definition in the expression of the building façade. Another Panel member agreed, feeling that the complexities of the site were not expressed in the architecture. Another Panel member agreed, feeling that there was no nuance to the towers as they seemed to be following developer norms.
One Panel member noted that the notch out of the North-West corner of the building is what is actually aligned with the Maple Leaf Square development, not the West facade. Another Panel member felt that York Street should open up at this point instead of creating a pinch point.
Another Panel member felt that digitizing the surface of the building could be extraordinary, provided that attention was paid to ensuring the patterning does not get cut off at the corners.
One Panel member stated that in a cold climate regime, the benefits from adding thermal breaks to the balconies far outweighs the shading benefits that the balconies would provide in the summer, adding that the incremental cost of the thermal breaks was relatively small when compared with the price of the units. The Panel member asked that the EUI (Energy Use Intensity) be provided at the next presentation.
Several Panel members felt that there was a lost opportunity in not making the double skin performative in nature. Another Panel member urged to team to consider the Long Term Flexibility of the building, stating that it may not be residential or office 75 years from now.
Another Panel member stated their preference in reading the residential towers as one element instead of two.
One Panel member noted that the Gardiner Expressway and Lake Shore Boulevard are now public elevations to address instead of building barriers to.
Another Panel member felt that how the office building and podium address York Street is successful. Some Panel members felt that the West Elevation should be parallel to York Street. One Panel member felt that the Podium should align with York, but that the office tower did not necessarily have to. One Panel member felt that the notch out of the corner of the North West corner of the building was not helping the scheme.
Another Panel member felt that the East elevation should pay more respect to the Harbour Commissioners building. Another Panel member felt that the North Elevation should have a better relationship to Union Square. Another Panel member felt that there should be more differentiation in the building facades, and the way in which the external spaces are expressed.
One Panel member felt that the single loaded PATH connection would give more back to the public realm if it was on the south side instead of being along the Gardiner Expressway as currently proposed. Another Panel member agreed. Another Panel member disagreed, feeling that there was not much else to animate the North elevation. Another Panel member felt that the retail display windows on the South elevation were not successful. Another Panel member agreed, wondering if there was way to reconcile the retail on the South side of the building to become more of a public space with views of the park.
Another Panel member felt that there should be an at-grade crossing at Lake Shore Boulevard, noting that the distance from York Street to Bay Street is quite far. Another Panel member suggested that the City should also consider a public space along the East side of the property.
Several Panel members felt that the proposed spacing between the towers was too close. One Panel member felt that the building should have a great “top”, adding that the extra height should be earned with an architecturally interesting building. Another Panel member agreed, feeling that the overall character of the office building was monotonous and perfunctory in nature and should be more expressive.

3.5 Summary of the Panel’s Key Issues
The Chair then summarized the recommendations of the Panel:
1) Show how the building links to the existing and proposed context and streetscape.
2) Come back with deliberate analysis of now the building responds to York Street. Do not create a pinch point.
3) Stronger consideration of the appropriate distance between the residential towers and the office tower should be given.
4) Study the potential East Side connection through the block.
5) Study the response and connection from Union Station
6) Study the location of the Path
7) Top of the building needs development.
8) Stronger architectural solution for the towers
9) Study the potential to create a more sustainable building, including thermal breaks on the balconies.

3.6 Proponents Response
Mr. Clewes thanked the Panel for their feedback.

3.7 Vote of Support/Non-Support
The Chair then asked the Panel for a vote of support or non-support for the project. The Panel voted in Conditional Support of the project.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploa...arch2012_1.pdf

1 York / 90 Harbour - Twin 70 floor towers and 39 Floor Office Development.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 6:32 PM
gettin' rich!

90 Harbour has a name!!

Harbour Plaza Residences

http://www.talkcondo.com/toronto/har...aza-residences

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 12:37 AM

Looking forward to these babies, and Ten York!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 10:51 PM
gettin' rich!

10 York Scaled back from 75 floors to 68.

This one may also scale back as well from 70 floors. I guess it's all relative, but the market is cooling, and it will depend how badly Menkes wants to develop this piece of land.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive