HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 4:30 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Why not build on the West Village area (Greyhound, GSL Chevy, Renfrew Chrysler)

Build a new McMahon stadium and a new Flames arena there. It already has Bow Tr and Crowchild Tr (although the interchange will need serious upgrades), and the West LRT.

Redevelop the old McMahon site as housing to pay for everything.
Can't do that (I believe). The U of C owns McMahon and/or the land that it sits on.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 5:45 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Can't do that (I believe). The U of C owns McMahon and/or the land that it sits on.
U of C should use the land to create some sort of student housing/retail district for the university crowd, I always feel bad for them that the only local amenities are 2 malls and whatever the current name of that club by 53 St is.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
U of C should use the land to create some sort of student housing/retail district for the university crowd, I always feel bad for them that the only local amenities are 2 malls and whatever the current name of that club by 53 St is.
There are rather wide restrictions on commercial use of university land from the original land grant that don't apply to west campus. The province is rather stickler about avoiding UBC style development, or at least that is what I was told while dealing with the University Architect / Planner back when I was there.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 7:19 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Humphrey.Appleby View Post
There are rather wide restrictions on commercial use of university land from the original land grant that don't apply to west campus. The province is rather stickler about avoiding UBC style development, or at least that is what I was told while dealing with the University Architect / Planner back when I was there.
Ah, well in that case hopefully the Brentwood/Motel Village redevelopment plans can help out with that then.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoflamesGo View Post
seems odd that vancouver got the covered stadium and we got a windy open air stadium.
When BC Place was built, the Big Owe in Montreal was still an unfinshed expensive controversy.
A friend remarked recently that for the amount spent on The Big Owe, a BCPlace could have been built in every province and the Yukon.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
It seems kind of odd that BC Place is getting a retractable roof, and the Lions are playing outdoors at the old Empire Stadium next season.
The old Empire Stadium was demolished quite a few years ago but the field itself was recently fixed up, so there will be temporary stands built (think Stampede Parade route bleachers - only larger).

Someone seems to have forgotten IT RAINS in Vancouver, but making BCPlace open-air is a key part of the deal for getting the MLS soccer franchise in 2011.

Nobody is saying too much about the new MLS soccer stadium that is planned for the harbourfront (east of Canada Place and north of Gastown on top of the CPR tracks) that the Whitecaps and the MLS franchise will be moving to in 2016.

Just to make it clear: $500+ million to build a partially-retractible roof on BCPlace so MLS Soccer has a place to play for 5 years before moving to their own open-air stadium.

If the BCPlace reno takes longer than expected (and we know it will), the BC Lions and the MLS team would have to stay at Empire Grounds until BCPlace is ready.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I would suspect the water table would be a huge problem on the Stampede grounds given the location in a loop in the Elbow River.
You wouldn't want to dig an underground parkade, but you can build a high building.
How high is the Grandstand?
When I was in Madison Square Garden, you wouldn't know that it was built 4 stories high over a railway yard & the busiest commuter station in the US.

However, The Stampede Grounds aren't pinched for space, so why build a parkade under an arena, when there are acres of parking around it (and LRT access too)?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Rain. 'nuff sed.

Plus, Calgarians are just tougher.
real football fans always take a thermos of coffee and another of hot chocolate to the game.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 9:47 PM

Hmmm...

West Village redeveloped as UofC Downtown campus, Stampeders Stadium & condos.

McMahon Stadium site redeveloped as UofC campus expansion

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 10:29 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
The old Empire Stadium was demolished quite a few years ago but the field itself was recently fixed up, so there will be temporary stands built (think Stampede Parade route bleachers - only larger).

Someone seems to have forgotten IT RAINS in Vancouver, but making BCPlace open-air is a key part of the deal for getting the MLS soccer franchise in 2011.

Nobody is saying too much about the new MLS soccer stadium that is planned for the harbourfront (east of Canada Place and north of Gastown on top of the CPR tracks) that the Whitecaps and the MLS franchise will be moving to in 2016.

Just to make it clear: $500+ million to build a partially-retractible roof on BCPlace so MLS Soccer has a place to play for 5 years before moving to their own open-air stadium.

If the BCPlace reno takes longer than expected (and we know it will), the BC Lions and the MLS team would have to stay at Empire Grounds until BCPlace is ready.
It rains in Seattle too and that didn't stop them from building a new open air stadium for the Seahawks a few years ago.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 12:52 AM

If Calgary was to replace McMahon, I think a stadium closer to QWest than the new Cowboy's Stadium would be best. Part of the appeal is being outside!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 12:56 AM

A friend told me yesterday that he heard Eric Francis talking on the radio about huge plans for a massive McMahon Stadium renovation... anyone else hear anything about this?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Humphrey.Appleby View Post
If Calgary was to replace McMahon, I think a stadium closer to QWest than the new Cowboy's Stadium would be best. Part of the appeal is being outside!
Agreed, somewhere in the east village with the open end of a 50 000 seat horseshoe stadium facing the Bow would be absolutely outstanding!

Even retractable roof stadiums don't have the atmosphere of the open air ones, IMHO.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
A friend told me yesterday that he heard Eric Francis talking on the radio about huge plans for a massive McMahon Stadium renovation... anyone else hear anything about this?
Pretty unlikely to see anything major beyond the reno's they did this past year unless a corporate sponsor steps up to foot the bill as the U of C sure can't afford it right now.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 1:51 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:

Thats because that proposal is pretty much dead in the water at the moment due to land issues.

As for the rain, yeah, it rains here, but it was actually built to add more convention space in prep for Expo 86. Its also used for conventions, concerts, an indoor amusement park, and other events, contributing close to 60 million/year to our local economy. So, really, the Whitecaps moving to a new stadium a couple years after moving in, isn't really going to have much of an impact at all on BC Place's bottom line.

If Calgary was to get a new stadium to replace McMahon, something along the lines of the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale would be awesome.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 2:26 AM

OT, but University of Phoenix Stadium only cost $455mil to build. I know that is waaay more than would ever be spent here, but it is pretty incredible that they built a hell of a stadium with some really innovative features for half of what the Cowboys spent.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 5:44 AM

I don't think CFL is popular enough in Calgary to warrant a state of the art football stadium that you see in the NFL. We more likely would pull off something like Qwest Feild in Seatle, INVESCO Field at Mile High in Denver, or if they really want to have a retractable roof though, something like Reliant Stadium in Houston. Something with 40,000 capacity with room to expand if situation rises in the future.

But the Stamps do need to find something new and more modern hopefully somewhere downtown. And actually have a hospitality environment for the concession stands!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 5:48 AM

All of those stadiums are way beyond what Calgary could ever build. Reliant is one of the nicest stadiums in North America too. Its nice to dream, but realistically we would be lucky to even get something like ALLTEL in Jacksonville.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONYS View Post
All of those stadiums are way beyond what Calgary could ever build. Reliant is one of the nicest stadiums in North America too. Its nice to dream, but realistically we would be lucky to even get something like ALLTEL in Jacksonville.
Ya I guess I made it sound like state of the art still. I meant to imply a sort of concept to follow, but not a full replica of whats stored in it. Make it look nice and that it's housing a professional sports team at least.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 9:27 PM
City of Blinding Lights

We need to start looking at College Stadia in the US for inspiration. There is a lot more reasonable architecture to work with there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates