HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Sounds like a prefect place for a tram/people mover/something similar from Stampede station. Could get used for hockey games, during stampede, etc.

That being said, nothing would beat an LRT station integrated right into the stadium (beside, under, etc.).
Plus, if the new Dome was to be placed where the Big 4 is currently, it would be located basically at the base of the Red Mile... not something to make or break a decision on, but a cool consideration

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 6:07 PM

I think that's a decent location, with exception of transit. I like the Big 4 location because it can integrate into the LRT nicely. That location two blocks north of the Saddledome would be kitty corner to Arriva no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh69 View Post
I just happened to stumble across this thread and I thought that I would share with you what I heard out of the mouth of Ken King. I was at a Flames "Top Shelf Experience" back on Feb 9th. Ken King came into the room to talk to us and answer our questions. One of the questions asked was, "what is going on with the new arena?". He replied that they have many drawings and renderings that they are going over, and that the new arena will be going two blocks North of the current Saddledome. He also said that the building will be ready for 2014, when their current lease expires, and they hope to go public this fall with designs.

I hope that he is correct.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 6:22 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook Arch View Post
I think that's a decent location, with exception of transit. I like the Big 4 location because it can integrate into the LRT nicely. That location two blocks north of the Saddledome would be kitty corner to Arriva no?
You are correct, however I am a little concerned that if they build there it would mean the end of this awesome tree in the middle of the parking lot:

Link

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 7:35 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook Arch View Post
Agreed. Transit (LRT) access is the downside but other than that it seems pretty good. I wonder how much of a factor the Calgary Stampede is going to be in this whole thing. By that I mean whether or not the new building would or would not be located inside or outside the Stampede grounds, and by extension who would control the arena.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 8:19 PM
Home of Hyperchange

If that tree goes, I'm calling for a revolution. It's the single most awesome thing in Calgary's core. I was sooooo pleased to see it survive the parking lots being leveled and then poured.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 11:32 PM
Round Head

I could see it going kitty corner Arriva - they would probably integrate retail as part of the edge of the building to act as part of their main street.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 9:24 PM

Global ran a story yesterday about the Saddledome not having the capability to host many large concerts and events due to the roof slope. They mentioned about 5 years for the new arena as well!! I can't wait!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 7:13 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
Global ran a story yesterday about the Saddledome not having the capability to host many large concerts and events due to the roof slope. They mentioned about 5 years for the new arena as well!! I can't wait!
Wha', Global waited a whole two weeks to resuscitate the story in The Fishwrap? I know CrapWest as a going concern is reactionary and broke, but I didn't think they were that disorganised to boot.

And for the record, folks, my money's still on the Big Four site.

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 7:25 PM

Big 4 sight is apparently a no-go, as according to Ken King, the Stampede has signed-up the Oil Show for the next "100 years". They need the exhibition space. That is why it may be going north of the Saddledome instead.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 7:40 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

^^^ Would ha' thought the expanded Roundup BMO Centre could handle the trade show and exhibition space, tovarishch. Besides, if Ken King and Kool and the Gang are to have a snowball's chance in a cyclotron of selling a new barn to the Stampede Board and City Council, mass transit access is going to be too much of a sticking point to make the north parking lot location viable.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 7:59 PM

OK, but where do you put all of the exhibition space, while the Saddledome is still standing and the former Big 4 is a big construction zone. I attend that show every 2 years and they use every inch of space on the grounds.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 8:01 PM

Would the amount of indoor space lost from the Big 4 be more then what will be gained by the opening of the new phase of the roundup this year?

And even then, would the Saddledome actually come down is another big question. It is not owned by either the Flames or the Stampede afterall.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 8:43 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
I'm guessing a new arena would take up a lot of the outdoor parking space as well. That space is needed not only for the outdoor exhibits during the oil show, but also for the Stampede midway.

I like the Big Four site, but am also having trouble with the logistics of building there.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 9:04 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltliner View Post
Besides, if Ken King and Kool and the Gang are to have a snowball's chance in a cyclotron of selling a new barn to the Stampede Board and City Council, mass transit access is going to be too much of a sticking point to make the north parking lot location viable.
No problem there, just get the SELRT going ASAP and have the station put in at 4th street SE. If the new arena is at the corner of 12th avenue & 4th it would probably be closer than the Vic Park station is from the Dome right now.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 9:16 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

^^^ Given that ASAP on the 203 is 2017, I'm not sure how much traction that pitch would have for a 2014 grand opening. That location would also need a lot of work to integrate with the streetscape.

Not gonna rule out the possibility, but the Big Four location is easier for me to foresee.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 2:32 PM

I'd like to see a new arena on the Big Four site, with the C-Train put underground, and a station directly inside said new arena. Get rid of both the Victoria Park and Erlton stations, using only one station at 17th Avenue. The C-Train could also then go under 25th Ave. instead of that mess we currently have.

Yes, this would be quite the project, but it would be worth it going forward, in my opinion.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 4:25 PM

I was at a Q&A session with Ken King this morning, and regarding a new arena, he said that their preferred site was where the Big 4 is, but for various reasons that is no longer viable. They are working on a land swap deal with the City for the spot two blocks north of the Saddledome. The city has said they would do the land swap, but would be unable to contirbute any funds to the project.

He also mentioned that they have been offered land at COP, Balzac, and "various other places around the fringes of the city," but that the Flames are "committed to staying downtown and any new building would not be outside the core."

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:54 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Balzac. *shakes head*. Go ask someone from Ottawa how well that worked out.

Good to see King is totally for the downtown location. It's the only logical choice - and I say this as someone who'd have a far easier time driving out to Balzac than I do downtown.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 8:18 PM

Thats great news, in my opinion it should be downtown to represent the heart of the city. Maybe its just me, or maybe its that im living down south, but the Flames and Hockey are a big part of my life/heritage, not something to put out in the burbs with the Home Depots, Costs Cos and MegaMalls...Thanks King!

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:05 AM
Watchin em grow

So it will most likely be in Vic park then....

...hmmm... the Hookerdome?
The Needledome...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates