HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 8:45 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
If the Dome ended up in the east village it would be about the same distance to the 3rd St SE station as it currently is to Victoria Park. If it goees in one of the locations Jeff pointed out it would be a little further from the VP train station, but wouldn't be too bad. The most likely lot is the yellow one from Jeff's post.
I though the 3rd street East Station is going to be demolished once the new City Hall station is built.
The other solution is to stop messing around and start building the SE LRT asap.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 9:30 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Count me as one in favour of the Big Four location. Obviously a lot more site work would have to be done in terms of the LRT and the pedestrian crossing into 17th Avenue, but these add to the success of the building.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 9:37 PM

the yellow location on jeff's map would mean 'the tree' would have to be removed. i hope it doesn't go there.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 9:39 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
the yellow location on jeff's map would mean 'the tree' would have to be removed. i hope it doesn't go there.
The tree will be left untouched wherever the building goes, even if that means it is on centre ice!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 9:53 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The tree will be left untouched wherever the building goes, even if that means it is on centre ice!
Hey, if baseball can have trees and hills in the field of play, certainly hockey can have a tree in the middle of the ice.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 10:48 PM
BANNED

Where is the big four location????

Seems to me the most logical choice would be to put it right adjacent to stampede trail. The whole site could possibly turn out brilliantly.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 11:11 PM

The big 4 site is too small, the Stampede would lose half the midway if it went there.

I didn't realize the 3rd St station was going to be demolished, that means there would be no C-train platforms in the east village then.

As for the tree, maybe they could put a green roof on the new barn with that tree on top, that would be cool to see, though I guaantee the structural engineers would hate the idea.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 12:14 AM
effete latte-lifter

I prefer the red location myself, it's a great excuse to demolish the horrible Stampede Headquarters building. The Tree can be in the middle of a public plaza that fronts the new arena, built for all the Stanley Cup rallies.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 12:16 AM

I'd like to see the empty lot disappear before we demolish existing structures.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 2:33 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I'd like to see the empty lot disappear before we demolish existing structures.
Don't worry, most of those lots are going away in the next few years.

I have to imagine they'll be putting up parkades or something to replace them.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 3:17 PM

For the sake of keeping on topic, I took this post from the construction thread -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
I sent off an e-mail to Ken King of the Flames, and if enough of us do it, hopefully we can avoid having some big red brick barn style building from being built. It's a good time for them to hear from the public on what people want.
If the new arena is built on Stampede grounds, will the Flames even be 'allowed' to build something that isn't inline with stampitechture? Would the Stampede board have final say in design?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
For the sake of keeping on topic, I took this post from the construction thread -

If the new arena is built on Stampede grounds, will the Flames even be 'allowed' to build something that isn't inline with stampitechture? Would the Stampede board have final say in design?
If it's built on or near the Stampede grounds it will be stampitecture .

Firepark wouldn't be that bad an area. It's not downtown, but it is fairly central and close to the C-train.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 8:15 PM

No need to build a new stadium, this one is 75 years old and still in use:

It will be sad to see the iconic saddledome gone, but regardless of its legacy, the Flames do need something new (box sets, high roof).

I agree, that it should be Downtown, beside a train station and very modern. I like the idea of an underground station, would be nice leaving the game and not having to walk out in -30 to wait for the trains. Although, im ususally 6 beers in when I leave so cold is never an issue

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 9:11 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
If it's built on or near the Stampede grounds it will be stampitecture .

Firepark wouldn't be that bad an area. It's not downtown, but it is fairly central and close to the C-train.
Firepark is not terrible for its location, but for what is at the location. IE office parks and warehouses.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 11:08 PM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
Firepark is not terrible for its location, but for what is at the location. IE office parks and warehouses.
A stadium could be built there (it has been rumored as a potential site in the past) but you'd have to develop whole hog - arena, hotel(s), and retail. The site is big enough - it's the size of the Stampede grounds south of 17th Ave. line. I'm betting this is the "other downtown" site being considered - with "downtown" being thrown out as a red herring. It's a big-ass property with only a small piece cut out of the SE corner. I know this because I used to work on that SE piece back when it still had the former offices on it for the Firestone plant, the idea being that Alberta Wheat Pool was going to develop it for their new head office. The crash of the the '80's killed that idea.

A location for a full sized arena won't be dependent on surrounding business - it's a destination unto itself and will drive development around it. It needs to have good transportation infrastructure and a large chunk of land - few locations like that in Calgary outside of this one and the already mentioned greyhound bus terminal area. I'm betting on Firepark as being the location as it has in-place car and LRT access, and is large enough to do an arena + supporting development project.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 1:51 AM
Watchin em grow

Do you not think that the Flames will want to build a multi purpose arena and not just a new barn? One that has a hotel/convention centre component and built in training facilities. It would make far more sense that just a rink.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 3:00 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
A stadium could be built there (it has been rumored as a potential site in the past) but you'd have to develop whole hog - arena, hotel(s), and retail. The site is big enough - it's the size of the Stampede grounds south of 17th Ave. line. I'm betting this is the "other downtown" site being considered - with "downtown" being thrown out as a red herring. It's a big-ass property with only a small piece cut out of the SE corner. I know this because I used to work on that SE piece back when it still had the former offices on it for the Firestone plant, the idea being that Alberta Wheat Pool was going to develop it for their new head office. The crash of the the '80's killed that idea.

A location for a full sized arena won't be dependent on surrounding business - it's a destination unto itself and will drive development around it. It needs to have good transportation infrastructure and a large chunk of land - few locations like that in Calgary outside of this one and the already mentioned greyhound bus terminal area. I'm betting on Firepark as being the location as it has in-place car and LRT access, and is large enough to do an arena + supporting development project.
There would be no incentive for the Flames to encourage more developmet around an arena in Firepark. Why would you, as an owner/investor want to create competition for what's for sale inside the arena. Should they go with that location, I imagine we'll see an island is a sea of parking, making it as unatractive as possible to even think about going to whatever may sprout up around the arena land.

I suppose if I had to chose between a stampitecture arena that was intigrated into the east beltline and a modern design that sits alone in a parking lot, I'd have to make the deal with the devil and go for the former.

I have doubts that even if there were businesses, restaurants and whatnot allowed within a reasonable walking distance that they could even survive relying solely on gameday and concert night patrons. The east beltline is walkable and has so much more potential for arena-driven vibrancy because people actually live and work in the area.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 3:02 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFHeadstone View Post
Do you not think that the Flames will want to build a multi purpose arena and not just a new barn? One that has a hotel/convention centre component and built in training facilities. It would make far more sense that just a rink.
The hotel is a little iffy, but training facilities and a concert venue like MSG is pretty likely. (and by concrt venue i mean a theatre, 6-8k seats, not everyone plays arena shows.)

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 3:26 PM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
There would be no incentive for the Flames to encourage more developmet around an arena in Firepark. Why would you, as an owner/investor want to create competition for what's for sale inside the arena. Should they go with that location, I imagine we'll see an island is a sea of parking, making it as unatractive as possible to even think about going to whatever may sprout up around the arena land.

I suppose if I had to chose between a stampitecture arena that was intigrated into the east beltline and a modern design that sits alone in a parking lot, I'd have to make the deal with the devil and go for the former.

I have doubts that even if there were businesses, restaurants and whatnot allowed within a reasonable walking distance that they could even survive relying solely on gameday and concert night patrons. The east beltline is walkable and has so much more potential for arena-driven vibrancy because people actually live and work in the area.
The various levels of government would have to step up with support to re-develop the whole site. You'd need private investment commitments to build all the rest of the stuff. It would be a long, tough slog - there would be a lot of resistance to committing funds since nothing is certain. I disagree with the idea that the Flames have no incentive to encourage development around their new arena. Hotel is a no-brainer. Out-of-towners coming to events would appreciate a quick stumble to their room after an event. Retail and restaurants would be there to create more of a destination unto itself - the idea being you get in your car or hop on the train and head out to Firepark to do a little shopping, game night or not. That retail area would be party central after games too.

Sad to say, it would likely end up as you envision - a sea of parking surrounding a lonely arena - I don't think the support is there for a wholesale redevelopment. Stampede park is the best place, everything is there already. I'm thinking in terms of an arena to get rid of the blight that is Firepark right now - not saying it is the best location by any stretch.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 3:18 AM
Home of Hyperchange

If the new place doesn't go up in Stampede Park, then the Saddledome is guaranteed to live. Stampede events alone necessitate a large arena onsite.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates