HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 10:42 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Thumbs up CLEVELAND - 2012 Cleveland Marathon!

So I decided to get up early on a Sunday to get photos of the 2012 Cleveland Marathon - luckily the route came through my neighborhood. I'm the first to say - I am NEVER going to run a marathon (don't give me that 'never say never' BS); while I appreciate the notion of 'I wanted to challenge myself' or whatever reasons people subject themselves to running a marathon, I applaud them but definitely not for me. That said, kudos to the runners - hope they had a good run (though I couldn't imagine running that far unless I was being chased by a pack of wild hounds or being rewarded with a few million - but that's just me).

Found a good spot - no runners yet, but a good shot of one of the landmark churches in Tremont - Pilgrim Congregational United Church of Christ:

Nearby building used to be a local theater; been abandoned for years and now seeing new light - they recently installed this stained glass piece:

I admit I'm not a runner - but I'm guessing these folks are clearing the route for the runners?

I felt bad for this cop; West 14th is a primary route so he had to do a lot of motioning 'turn your @ss around' and giving people directions:

After a while, we finally saw the first group of runners:

I was around the 9-mile marker - and from what I gather the winners had the lead from the beginning - maybe this is one of them?

Gotta say - if you're into just 'people watching', this is one heck of a place to do it:

This gentleman ended up winning - he's from Kenya and this was his career first win

The first batch of women competitors:

And this lovely lady won the womens' division:

Did I mention I was close to the 9-mile marker? Got lots of shots of runners doing the 'how's my time'.

I must admit, I didn't see anyone 'sweep the leg' but I can't attest to the rest of the route:

With any event like this, there are always those who dress up and have a little fun - I wasn't quite expecting a monkey, but who am I to judge?

Honestly if someone had informed me I'd just run 9 miles, I would not be quite as happy as this gentleman - oh who am I kidding, I'd be roadkill by the time I got to 3 miles, much less 9!!!

Okay, I know it's early and I haven't had enough coffee but I'm seeing one of the Village People... right?

I know that with marathons, races, etc. that participants will write messages, etc. to get a message out - what this guy's message was, I don't know, but I wish Colin well :-)

Uh oh, I've been spotted!

Watch where you're pointing that thing! I don't quite understand the faux-Native American getup but I'll let it slide (Just kidding, I am very happily exclusive but I can appreciate good scenery)

Okay, among the observations I make - from a distance, I thought this gentleman seemed a little older than the rest of the group. Sure enough, he's part of the 'Dead Runners Society' - who knew such a thing even existed?

I'm amazed that these gals are carrying on a conversation and are HAPPY at the 9-mile marker!

Hope you enjoyed!

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:50 PM

Why wouldnt these people just gas up at a Marathon self-serve and drive instead? Isnt time an issue?

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 12:16 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

^
Video Link

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 1:07 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Owwww, my calves hurt just looking at these. Good thread though. Interesting to see the different people, especially after they've already made it 9 miles.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 11:15 PM
not cleavefied

pro-tip: wearing cotton in any race (or running period) is stupid.

Nice work Mr. MayDay.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos