HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 8:10 PM

Does anyone else think that despite its architectural faults, the Cordish design at least does a better job with the scale of the project? Call me Goldilocks, but I think the LAB proposal is too flat, minimal, and sparse while the N-S proposal seems to overpower everything around it. I'm not saying I like the overall Cordish design better, but there are elements of that design that I think fit better in that location.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 9:57 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Room 606 View Post
Does anyone else think that despite its architectural faults, the Cordish design at least does a better job with the scale of the project? Call me Goldilocks, but I think the LAB proposal is too flat, minimal, and sparse while the N-S proposal seems to overpower everything around it. I'm not saying I like the overall Cordish design better, but there are elements of that design that I think fit better in that location.
Its not just architectural faults, but all of its programming that sucks. So basically... it completely sucks.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 11:16 PM

since when did the 'scale' of the project include new and large buildings? I'm just trying to figure out how the first proposal for the land was to turn into open park space, then some people wanted to see parts of the mill saved and reused, and than two of the three proposals were for massive developments. Who decided that the project was supposed to grow into something massive? I for one would like to see the lab project with a museum integrated into it.

I don't think we are even close to saturation of farmers markets in this city either. I would love for some of the garden space in the Lab proposal be set aside for a Portland neighborhood garden.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 1:12 PM

Centennial Mills Committee Forwards Recommendation

Monday, March 10, Portland Development Commission (PDC) Executive Director Bruce Warner accepted the recommendation put forth by the Centennial Mills Evaluation Committee regarding the preferred development team. The consensus recommendation is that LAB Holding, LLC from Costa Mesa, CA, be selected for the redevelopment of the four-acre Centennial Mills site.

The Evaluation Committee’s recommendation is based on the proposal responses provided by LAB Holding, LLC in several key areas including:

In addition to successfully responding to the categories listed above, input received from the public favored the selection of LAB Holding, LLC as well.

Next Steps
Executive Director Warner will now present the recommendation to the PDC Board of Commissioners at the March 26 Commission Meeting. If the Board approves the recommendation, PDC and LAB Holding, LLC will begin negotiation toward a Disposition and Development Agreement.

“We are really honored to be selected as the development partner for Centennial Mills,” said Shaheen Sadeghi, Principal of LAB Holding, LLC. “The Mills are an amazing opportunity to connect people to the river and revitalize a piece of Portland’s history.”

The Proposals
Proposals for the Centennial Mills redevelopment were received from three nationally known development firms: Lab Holding, LLC; the Cordish Company from Baltimore, MD; and Nitze-Stagen & Company from Seattle, WA.

“All three of the proposals we received were excellent,” said Steven Shain, PDC’s development manager for the Centennial Mills redevelopment. “We really hope there will be opportunities in the future for us to work with The Cordish Company and Nitze-Stagen.”

To review the proposals please visit: http://www.centennialmills.org/opportunity/.

History of Centennial Mills Process
In May 2007 the Portland Development Commission (PDC) issued a nationwide Request for Qualifications (RFQ) to development teams interested in the redevelopment of the Centennial Mills site in northwest Portland. Three teams were selected to move forward to the RFP phase. The RFP was issued in early September 2007 with proposals due back to PDC on Jan. 18, 2008.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 2:21 PM

Wow, surprising. This is good. The architecture from LAB has a lot of potential. I think PDX has a chance to really get something unique that respects the old site and raises the architectural bar of the Pearl...by a lot.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 2:51 PM

I'm thrilled to learn that PDC has chosen LAB for the mill project. This was clearly the best choice in my view.

From yesterday's Planning Commission hearing on the North Pearl District Plan it looks like neither of the other proposals would work under the potential zoning. The Design Commission testified at the Planning Commission that they want to limit floor plates along the river to 7,500 sq ft if buildings are taller than 100'...this rules out office uses and makes housing and hotel pretty costly.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 3:18 PM

I'm a little disappointed because I preferred the Nitze-Stag. proposal, however, I'm thrilled and shocked that PDC actually moved this quickly!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 3:50 PM

I'm just relieved that the Cordish Company didn't win. LAB was my favorite but Nitze-Stag had a strong design.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:40 PM

yeah for LAB!!! I think this project can actually be realized, and rather quickly I hope.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:52 PM

Perhaps this project could incorporate the Portland Market idea that has been floundering.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 5:17 PM

Great decision! Either LAB or Nitze would have been great choices. Hopefully this project pans out and turns in to something great for that area.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 3:04 AM

meh

I wonder though if Nitze-Stag knew about the floorplate size restrictions close to the waterfront when they drafted their proposals?

Last edited by philopdx; Mar 13, 2008 at 6:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 3:16 AM

The North Pearl Plan is going to rezone all the land there including the rest of Hoyt Street Properties blocks west of the Fields. The Nitze Stagen team was probably thinking they might have some influence with Planning on that process.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 3:16 PM

Lab Holding moves to front-runner spot for Centennial Mills project
A Portland Development Commission committee has recommended that the Costa Mesa, Calif., firm move ahead with its plans for the project
Daily Journal of Commerce
POSTED: 06:00 AM PDT Thursday, March 13, 2008
BY TYLER GRAF

The long proposal process for the Centennial Mills development has finally borne fruit, as the Portland Development Commission announced Tuesday that Costa Mesa, Calif.-based Lab Holding was recommended by a PDC committee to move forward on the waterfront project.

At the PDC’s next board meeting on March 26, PDC Executive Director Bruce Warner will present his and his committee’s recommendation to the commissioners. They will act on the recommendation by either accepting it, determining it’s not acceptable or asking for additional information.

“It’s important to point out that this is not a done deal,” said Shawn Uhlman, public affairs manager for the PDC.

But the consensus, from both the community and the committee charged with making a development-team recommendation, is that Lab Holding had the most feasible and streamlined development concept, and that it met or exceeded all of the site criteria outlined by PDC.

All three vying development teams, including Seattle-based Nitze Stagen and Baltimore-based Codish Group, were notified on Monday of the committee’s recommendation.

Lab Holding has developed projects primarily in California, working on retail centers like the eponymous The Lab in Orange County, built in 1993. But some city residents who’ve seen the firm’s proposal for the Centennial Mills site think Lab Holding understands the Portland way of doing projects.

“Lab Holding’s proposal is a very smooth, community-centered (design),” Uhlman said, adding that community feedback indicated that it was the clear favorite.

Pearl District resident Ben Andrews agrees, saying the Pearl District Neighborhood Association threw its full support behind Lab Holding’s proposal.

“Portland needs something different,” Andrews said, “and the Pearl District is one of the most unique places in Oregon, and this proposal suits it well.”

Shaheen Sadeghi, CEO of Lab Holding, said his company’s intention was to create a development that would put the proper pieces together to grow the waterfront organically in the future.

The vision is also directed toward the past. Sadeghi said his firm’s goal is to preserve as much of the original 108-year-old site as possible and to salvage for adaptive re-use what cannot be preserved. That poses problems, however, as the site’s historic building, an old flour mill, needs to undergo further seismic tests.

But neither the development team nor the PDC believe site conditions will significantly change the layout of the development, which rests on four distinct areas.

The Orchard portion of the site will act as the main pedestrian entryway into the development, moving past storefronts and down a promenade, ending at the Willamette River. The development team plans to include outdoor fireplaces and fountains, in addition to seating for café patrons.

The Water Theater area will center around an amphitheater built into the riverbank and is intended to be the place for community events and concerts. Another feature – the glass-roofed, open-air Rainwater Pavilion – would act as ad hoc performance space during Portland’s long rainy season.

The People’s Market, the third section, would be located under a green canopy of vegetation and would feature local food vendors and craftspeople. The development team plans to open up a large portion of the wharf to create a public meeting space.

The fourth area, The Farm, would highlight Oregon’s agricultural history, and Lab Holding intends this site to exhibit local crops. It would be both educational and functional, the development team says, with the surrounding restaurants and vendors able to harvest their own herbs or produce.

“When we start peeling the (development) onion, I think we’re going to end up finding more things to do, and we may have to make modifications,” Sadeghi said. “When you’re dealing with these older buildings, you don’t always know what’s inside.”
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...ent-Commission

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 9:22 PM

Bump. Almost been a year.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 12:04 AM

I believe that this is one of the numerous projects currently stymied by the LUBA ruling against Portland's desire to expand the River District URA.

Bad news bears.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:18 PM

Centennial Mills faces structural deficiencies
Lab Holdings expects construction budget to increase for redevelopment project
POSTED: 04:00 AM PDT Wednesday, March 11, 2009
BY TYLER GRAF

Last spring, California-based development firm Lab Holdings won the rights to redevelop the Centennial Mills property, bordering the Willamette River on the periphery of the Pearl District. Since then, developers have kept mum on the 35-acre commercial, mixed-use project.

That’s because the development firm has since learned that site engineering reports from the early 2000s didn’t detail the sturdiness and environmental quality of the property. Much of the property either directly abuts the riverfront or is located in the river proper, and water leaks have weakened parts of the property’s promenade and pilings. All of the site’s buildings were built between 1910 and 1940.

Although discussions within the company are ongoing, developers at Lab Holdings estimate that they will now need to add several million dollars to the project’s budget.

Shaheen Sadeghi, principal of Lab Holdings, said he doesn’t expect reconstructive work to set the project’s timeline back. Project construction is set to finish in 2011. But the additional money concerns Sadeghi, especially at a time when the economy is wavering. He said he may change the pro forma documents and drop the buildings’ rental rates, but that wouldn’t happen until engineering work is completed.

He said the engineering reports were never intended to be conclusive because the Portland Development Commission did not initially recommend rehabilitation of the property. The PDC purchased the property in the late 1990s with the plan to demolish the site’s 10 buildings and redevelop the area into a park. But public opposition to that plan persuaded the PDC to back off. It announced new plans to redevelop the property and build off of the Pearl District’s burgeoning success as a mixed-use neighborhood.

Lab Holdings’ development, as proposed, would demolish a number of the original buildings, keeping only the most recognizable structures. But the discovery of weathered and water-damaged structures could justify the demolition and reconstruction of certain elements of the old property, said Ryan Aeh, a project manager for the development firm.

Much of the early engineering work has been focused on burrowing through Centennial Mills’ guts and mapping its insides. This is intended to give the project’s architects a better working understanding of the site.

“The plans our architects originally used were based on the original drawings; some from the early 1900s and some from the 1940s,”Aeh said. They were too old, he added, to be of much use.

Engineering work that led to the new maps, which are now three-dimensional and digital, has made it easier to identify the development’s problem areas.

Nate Ingraffea, engineer at KPFF, said one of the main problems with the site is that its pilings have been eaten away by river water.

“A lot of those pilings will need to be replaced,” Ingraffea said. “They’ve been sitting in water for 100 years.”

Two additional subcontractors were hired to consult on engineering: Optira, located in Nebraska, used 3-D scanners to digitize the buildings; Geo Design provided geotechnical services.

In the next 30 to 60 days, the development team plans to go into deeper schematic design. Lab Holdings then hopes to execute its Development and Disposition Agreement with the PDC this summer.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 1:44 AM
A before E

I am not surprised, I figure something structural would come up sooner or later.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 6:25 AM

I read recently that this is still on schedule sort of. Projected for a fall start.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 5:27 PM

I thought it was tied up with the "Friends of Urban Renewal" and their River District appeal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland