HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 4:40 PM

South of the west bridgehead of the Sellwood is a new triangular building, metal framed. Are those condos too?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 5:29 PM

DJC has a few, pictures, but only in the print edition. Macadam Pointe looks interesting.

ON THE BOARDS for Dec. 4 by Alison Ryan 12/04/2006

MulvannyG2 Architecture

The Portland office of MulvannyG2 is designing Macadam Pointe, a three-building mixed-use project to be constructed in Portland’s Johns Landing section of South Portland.

Two mid-rise condominium buildings and a smaller retail building comprise the development, on which ground will be broken in summer 2007. Completion is slated for 2009. The condo buildings’ design calls for large, cantilevered balconies for all units; a curtain wall system of energy-effiecient glass; underground parking; and green roofs. MulvannyG2 is designing the project to meet gold standards set forth by the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Evnironmental Design rating system. The two buildings – one of six stories and another of eight – will include 56 condominiums.

Gary Larson is the lead architect for MulvannyG2. Portland-based Apex Investment Group is developing Macadam Pointe.

BOORA Architects

BOORA of Portland is designing The Heights, a 140,000-square-foot addition to Terwilliger Plaza that will be constructed next year in Southwest Portland.

The $34 million project when completed will be connected to the existing 12-story Terwilliger Plaza retirement community via a protected sky bridge. It will include 48 apartment units ranging in size from 1,290 to 1,900 square feet; a fitness center double the size of Terwilliger Plaza’s present center, with a pool, Jacuzzi and private therapy rooms for massage and acupuncture; and a bistro serving snacks and wines.

In addition to BOORA, the project team includes: Dee Sellner, president and CEO of Terwilliger Plaza; the Portland office of J.E. Dunn Construction Co.; and financier Ziegler Capital Markets Group.

Baysinger Partners Architecture PC

Baysinger Partners of Portland has designed The Shops at Griffith Park, a recently completed retail center in Beaverton.

The 18,000-square-foot project is the first to be designed according to the city of Beaverton’s newest Design Review Handbook, which calls for buildings constructed closer to the street and concealed parking. The site’s design incorporates a nautilus-shaped public plaza flanked by alfresco dining, shaded sidewalks with benches and low-water landscaping. Shop designs emphasize daylighting and use a variety of colors and materials including brick façades, metal arches and copper light fixtures.

The Baysinger project team included project designer Ferdinand Guce and project manager William M. Ruecker. Other project partners included developer First Western Investment Services of Oregon Associates and Pennon Construction Co. of Seattle.

Myhre Group Architects

Portland’s Myhre Group has designed the master plan for Lone Pine Village, a mixed-use waterfront community to be constructed in multiple phases beginning in early 2007 in The Dalles.

The 33-acre site will include 225 condominium, town-home, and single-family residences and 70,000 square feet of retail space built in a “main street” style. Designs call for heavy timber, steel and stone to be used in construction, with parks, wetlands and dedicated open spaces to be established as well.

Harper Houf Peterson Righellis Inc., a Portland-based engineering firm, coordinated initial land-use planning for the conceptual plan entitlements and is preparing construction documents for the first three phases of development.

The Myhre project team is Jeff Myhre and Matthew Mangus. Other project partners include Icon West Developments of Hood River; Vala/Christensen Landscape Architects of Portland; Hale Construction Northwest of Klickitat, Wash.; and Kingswood Architecture of Hood River.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 6:21 PM

Neighbors discuss future of Fred Meyer store

The future of the aging Burlingame Fred Meyer store will be discussed at the Wednesday meeting of the Hillsdale Neighborhood Association. The meeting begins at 6 p.m. at St. Barnabas Church, 2201 S.W. Vermont St.

Store officials have suggested they are considering extensively remodeling or even replacing the store, 7555 S.W. Barbur Blvd. It opened in 1950 and lacks many of the amenities of the company’s newer stores, like large clothing and deli sections.

Recent construction projects in the area include Barbur Shops, a collection of restaurants and retail stores at Barbur and Terwilliger boulevards.
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...27866970940900

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:11 PM

Terwilliger Plaza

The new crane is for the latest addition to Terwilliger Plaza. I think the project includes condo-like units for seniors...BOORA is the architect.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:50 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Guess I was wrong on the crane. Never heard of the BOORA project. Photos?

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 9:18 PM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 9:48 PM
Karma Police

Saw the crane Sunday, was wondering the same thing. This one came out of nowhere, eh?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 9:51 PM

that rendering has been on Boora's page for over a year. I just assumed the project was dead...guess not.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 9:20 PM

Portland: Two 18 story condo towers

Is this the same project we were looking at last summer. If I remember correctly, they were a couple of boxes against the hillside on the way up to OHSU, but I don't remember them being this tall. Mark?

This is from the design commission agenda...

1. LU 06-182203 DA Tim Heron, (503) 823-7726
(Continued from January 18. 2007)
Applicant: Casey Nolan, MYHRE GROUP ARCHITECTS
Site address: SW Sam Jackson Road
SAM JACKSON PARK RD CONDOS
Return Design Advice on a potential development of two 18-story condominium buildings on SW Sam Jackson
Park Road with below grade parking.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 9:27 PM

interesting, I remember something for Sam Jackson, but it wasn't for 18 stories...at least not initially.

anyway, here are the renderings of this project (I think). The description says three buildings not two and they aren't 18 stories...maybe it's been reconfigured since this has been updated on the Myhre Group webpage?

SW Sam Jackson Park Road

Myhre Group Architects will be responsible for the architectural design and planning entitlements for this market-rate, mixed-use development in Southwest Portland, Oregon. The three buildings will be constructed of post-tension concrete over a below-grade concrete parking structure. The design includes 279 condominium units and 367 parking spaces. Exteriors will feature extensive glazing and a combination of metal panel, wood accents, and masonry on the exterior. Ecoroofs will top each building, providing access to the Connor Nature Trail that currently runs through the site. The project contains a total of 447,302 square feet and is located on a 6.4 acre urban site.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 11:03 PM

I was at a NA meeting a couple of months ago where this was discussed. The owner had to scale it back to two buildings because of a drainage easement of some sort running through the property. At the time they were proposing two 8 story buildings. They probably realized that to pay for the 6-8 story retaining wall along the back of the buildings they would need to go higher and add more units.

Also, above about 10 floors, these units would start having views over the trees and hills into downtown.

The traffic implications of an access road on this part of Sam Jackson concern me.

I would prefer two taller towers taking up less footprint to the original plan. It would be nice if some of the trees on the hill (not to mention the hill itself!) could remain. But even in the 8 story plan a height exception was needed, so I can't see 18 stories being approved.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 12:12 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Interesting. That part off the West Hills are already pretty built up, so I'm not going to sweat much on the difference between an 8 and 18 story building. I'd prefer something to blend into the hill more, but Portland doesn't seem capable of doing that ANYWHERE.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 3:09 PM

Fight brewing against high-rise condo plan

Thursday, April 19, 2007
By Fred Leeson
Portland's next great neighborhood land-use controversy is brewing on a steep 6.4-acre site along Southwest Sam Jackson Park Road, barely a half-mile from downtown.

A Coral Gables, Fla., developer hopes to build 279 condos in two buildings that could climb to 18 stories.

Although plans are preliminary, three neighborhood associations fear complications from added traffic on the narrow, twisting road, which climbs to Oregon Health & Science University.

Friends of Terwilliger, a nonprofit preservation group, also contends that high-rise buildings would violate the recommended "small scale" outlined in a 1983 city plan for the scenic corridor.

"If this is small scale," says Doug Weir, president of the group, "what is large? When I first saw the design, I was shocked. This goes right to the heart of the Terwilliger Parkway character."

Representatives of the Homestead, Southwest Hills and South Portland neighborhood associations are preparing to fight the development.

Anton Vetterlein, a Homestead resident, says the condos would add at least 2,200 car trips a day to Sam Jackson Park Road, the main access to OHSU. Coming into town, the cars would worsen a bottleneck on Southwest Sixth Avenue, where rush-hour traffic already stacks up for blocks waiting to enter Interstate 405.

If the new housing is intended to serve the medical complex, "It doesn't connect to OHSU in any meaningful way," Vetterlein says. There's no uphill transit or sidewalks, and Jackson is too steep for bicycling. "They'd have to drive," he says.

Portland's Myhre Group Architects has presented two options for the condos in advisory meetings with the Portland Design Commission. The first featured three buildings of eight to nine stories sitting flush on Jackson.

After comments from the commission, the architects returned with a concept showing two towers set back 30 feet from the street. Both buildings would be terraced in stairstep fashion into the steep slope for 10 or so stories, then rise eight more stories.

The two-tower plan would cover 1.6 acres of the 6.4-acre site, leaving the rest vacant as a drainage easement and protected open space. However, to achieve the maximum 279 units allowed under city zoning, the towers would rise more than 210 feet -- more than four times Jackson's 45-foot height limit -- and would clearly stand out in the Terwilliger corridor.

Some design commissioners questioned the height. "Suffice to say, this would be the most exceptional height allowance in the history of Portland," says Tim Heron, a city planner.

Mike McCulloch, a design commission member, says the solution may be to reduce the number of condos. But architect Jeff Myhre seems resistant.

"We do believe in density and verticality," he says. "This is a city. That's it for me."

The architects can return for more public discussion before submitting a final plan for a design commission vote.

The commission's decision can be appealed to the Portland City Council. Given the views of neighbors and Friends of Terwilliger, it looks as if that's where it's headed.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 3:35 PM

I don't understand the economics of this site vs. all the empty surface parking lots Downtown. This is a very challening site with limited access and not very urban yet 18 floor towers are being proposed. All around DT underutilized surface parking lots with amazing access, urban amenities and flat land sit empty. How does development get pushed to the edges before it fills more appropriate spots? This project just does'nt make sense at this point.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 3:53 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
I don't understand the economics of this site vs. all the empty surface parking lots Downtown.
Cab--with due respect--I don't think you understand the economics of development. This guy doesn't own any property downtown--if he did, he would probably build there. You always bring this up--and while we would all like to see those lots developed--it's not as if there's one giant pool of properties from which all developers may draw.

The surface lots are mostly owned by the Goodmans--and they're not for sale. The lots bring in a revenue stream--whereas empty lots and unrefurbished buildings often do not. This is why buildings sometimes get razed and redeveloped before surface lots. It's a matter of Highest and Best Use. The Goodmans are developing their portfolio, but this isn't going to happen overnight. However, if the rumor mill is true, there will be a lot of good things on the horizon.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 4:09 PM

I know, I Know, its just my pet peeve.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 4:28 PM
Well designed mixed use

Well--you're very passionate and obviously love this city--we need folks like you here.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 5:12 PM

It seems to me that considering this is probably one of the only sites in the hills that can go tall, would have downtown views, SoWa views, yet be in the forest and above the city, and only blocks from a large park, that this would be a developers dream site with a built in market. I actually wouldn't mind seeing more renderings as it would be kinda cool to see two towers, as a start, rising from the hills around Portland.

What doesn't make sense to me is that there will be, as proposed, 279 condos, yet the Homestead neighborhood is claiming it would add 2200 daily car trips...That seems more than a little exaggerated.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 5:16 PM

Quote:
I know, I Know, its just my pet peeve.
I'm with cab on this one.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
What doesn't make sense to me is that there will be, as proposed, 279 condos, yet the Homestead neighborhood is claiming it would add 2200 daily car trips...That seems more than a little exaggerated.
I don't remember exactly what the ITE trip generation number is for condos, but I want to say 7 trips per unit. 7 x 279 = 1953. So they aren't too far off. Actually, it looks like they are using a figure of 8 to get 2232, so maybe it's not 7.

I'm sure one of you out there knows more about this stuff than me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland