HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 7:47 PM

Very disappointed to see La Luna as a signator.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 9:29 PM
Hammer'd

Beyond absurd and I'll be giving some serious second thoughts to ever supporting any of those businesses again.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
On page 4 of the petition, he identifies himself as "Konstantine Takis." Google didn't turn up anything on him, that I could see.
Property speculator/serial landlord. He apparently owns a healthy chunk of the block on on the NW corner of King & Bay -- he signed the petition as owner of 158 (houses Famous Recipe), 170 (housed Original Sin, Crown Heights, 170 King and other clothing shops at one time or another) and 180 King West (presumably OK Park) and his phone number is connected to a number of rental properties, including one that tries to leverage proximity to transit as an asset.

GO and HSR once stopped on the NE corner of King & Queen, right on La Luna's doorstep.

Last edited by thistleclub; Jun 25, 2013 at 2:54 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 2:36 AM

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 7:50 PM

That guy used to be my friend's landlord. He's a dick.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 1:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 2:41 AM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton will get $10.6 million from provincial gas tax.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:16 AM

Okay, it makes me sad driving on the highway and seeing Mississauga's BRT being built. It looks good too.
Hamilton is so far behind, I think I'm moving out of here right when I'm old enough (I'm only 16 haha).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:49 AM

@Katrillion, I second that motion. I see some positive growth in the city, but its far too behind for my liking. I'm only 18, and definitely plan on moving away once I finish my degree.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 4:39 AM

That's the community spirit kids! Runaway and let others make this community better. Those that care.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 5:39 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrillion View Post
Okay, it makes me sad driving on the highway and seeing Mississauga's BRT being built. It looks good too.
Hamilton is so far behind, I think I'm moving out of here right when I'm old enough (I'm only 16 haha).
The busway beside the 403? I believe that has been in planning for some time... if I'm not mistaken it was first proposed decades ago.

As for moving away, you've got to do what you feel is best. But things are pretty similar all over. I've lived in a few places, and they've all had their good and bad points. Ironically, people in every one of them often complain about things that are behind or lacking or haven't been handled well.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
The busway beside the 403? I believe that has been in planning for some time... if I'm not mistaken it was first proposed decades ago.

As for moving away, you've got to do what you feel is best. But things are pretty similar all over. I've lived in a few places, and they've all had their good and bad points. Ironically, people in every one of them often complain about things that are behind or lacking or haven't been handled well.
Well, did Hamilton propose a BRT decades ago?

I might as well move to Toronto. Although they do have problems, their problems are on a different level. The majority of problems in Hamilton have been solved in some places in Toronto. For example, complete streets, bike share, a beautiful, clean downtown area, and a great economy with many things that attract all sorts of people (especially young people because that's my crowd lol).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
That's the community spirit kids! Runaway and let others make this community better. Those that care.
I think that's unfair. Young people will go I think principally to where the jobs are, which is generally not Hamilton. But if there are jobs in their industry in different locations, of course they'll go to a place where it seems like there's a larger cohort of like-minded individuals, and the types of amenities and characteristics they like.

For instance, Hamilton and area seems great for those who like suburban life, and don't mind getting in their car every day, or more than every day. Other southern Ontario cities (Toronto, of course, but probably also Ottawa and KW) are appealing to (mostly younger) people who want to be a part of real city building, and who like an urban lifestyle.

We- City leadership, and everyone else- talk about attracting young people. We know we need to. The City needs to become a place that can do that. The last thing to do is try to trap young people here by extolling community spirit. They will and should go to where things are brighter.

(Sorry for going on: I know that you were being at least partly tongue-in-cheek.)

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
...For instance, Hamilton and area seems great for those who like suburban life, and don't mind getting in their car every day, or more than every day. Other southern Ontario cities (Toronto, of course, but probably also Ottawa and KW) are appealing to (mostly younger) people who want to be a part of real city building, and who like an urban lifestyle...
We moved here from the 'burbs because we wanted an urban lifestyle. For the most part that's working out well. But we have to endure a "suburbs-in-the-city" moment every time we need groceries, or a haircut, or some other day-to-day needs: get into the car.

The lack of a "high street" in most of our lower city, like Toronto's Bloor St West or Danforth Ave, forces people into cars. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 1:52 PM

Quote:
I think that's unfair. Young people will go I think principally to where the jobs are, which is generally not Hamilton. But if there are jobs in their industry in different locations, of course they'll go to a place where it seems like there's a larger cohort of like-minded individuals, and the types of amenities and characteristics they like.

For instance, Hamilton and area seems great for those who like suburban life, and don't mind getting in their car every day, or more than every day. Other southern Ontario cities (Toronto, of course, but probably also Ottawa and KW) are appealing to (mostly younger) people who want to be a part of real city building, and who like an urban lifestyle.

We- City leadership, and everyone else- talk about attracting young people. We know we need to. The City needs to become a place that can do that. The last thing to do is try to trap young people here by extolling community spirit. They will and should go to where things are brighter.

(Sorry for going on: I know that you were being at least partly tongue-in-cheek.)
Yeah, somewhat sarcastic and perhaps a little unfair, but neither one gave jobs as their reason for leaving. They pretty much vaguely dumped on the city. Perhaps they could elaborate why they intend to abandon Hamilton.

There is somewhat of an influx of young outsiders moving into Hamilton, for various reasons that I think most of us are aware of.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post
@Katrillion, I second that motion. I see some positive growth in the city, but its far too behind for my liking. I'm only 18, and definitely plan on moving away once I finish my degree.
I moved here when I was 24, just finish school and had previously grown up in downtown Oakville (emphasis on 'elsewhere', I often think it's a different planet). I am 30 now and happy as a clam that I moved here investment wise. Most of my friends moved to Toronto and are stuck paying rent still in unaffordable living. In Hamilton, last year I bought a second property purely off the equity generated with the first one. Think 'surf the wave' of renewal. Don't get squashed at an early age financially when you should be most careful as it accumulates! Hamilton is a smart choice.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
That guy used to be my friend's landlord. He's a dick.
Why? Because he's a landlord? Explain yourself. I'm always curious of people's perceptions of landlords. It's like police officers so often being called 'pigs'.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:38 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
I might as well move to Toronto. Although they do have problems, their problems are on a different level. The majority of problems in Hamilton have been solved in some places in Toronto. For example, complete streets, bike share, a beautiful, clean downtown area, and a great economy with many things that attract all sorts of people (especially young people because that's my crowd lol).
Pretty sure Toronto has a higher unemployment rate and it definitely has way higher living expenses.

Quote:
Ottawa doesn't want to provide a suburban lifestyle, very true. It seems to aim for semi-rural in many regards. Just go to the Ottawa section of this forum and everyone complains about the backwards excessive Nimbyism. I've seen plenty of signs there demanding to "stop overdevelopment of our neighbourhood" despite no clear actual development. Not saying it's all bad, their city council seems a bit more proactive right now, but they've still got plenty of people who want fewer highrises and more subdivisions.

That's one thing I find weird about this forum. Everyone complains and complains about their city in it's section, then you go to the Canada section and everyone defends their city to the death.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlstreet View Post
Why? Because he's a landlord? Explain yourself. I'm always curious of people's perceptions of landlords. It's like police officers so often being called 'pigs'.
No, because he's a dick. I have nothing against landlords, I'm one myself.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 1:37 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Well, did Hamilton propose a BRT decades ago?

No, you are correct. The B-Line was a great thing when it first began running but the HSR and city could have done a lot more a long time ago to make it more of a true BRT (in fact if they had, like implementing dedicated transit lanes on King and Main, the LRT debate might be a little different today)

Toronto is a great city. It's got a lot going for it, and it has its issues too, but its economic strength and population diversity have led to so many good things. Living there can be a challenge though (not just financially) and I see a lot of things they need to work out. But it's a choice, and like I said you've got to do what you feel is best for yourself.

I should note that I actually work there. Which is kind of sad because it highlights one of Hamilton's problems in keeping its homegrown people in the city - people like you in a few years. It was that way for me and a lot of my friends when we finished university. While I'm working on a career change and hope to establish something locally, chances are the best opportunities for me will still be in Toronto. So I too may have to choose whether to continue commuting, though this area has always felt most like "home" to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure