HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 1:48 AM

The University of St. Thomas is thinking creatively with its proposed Science and Health Professions Quadrangle:

Here’s the New Science Quad Building the University of St. Thomas Is Itching To Get Going On

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 9:43 PM

December 9 groundbreaking for the Sugar Land performing arts center (formal name awaited):

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...-to-break.html

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 9:49 PM

Continued signs of the boom. Condo demand Downtown is increasing. One place is renting for $2.80 a SF:

Downtown Houston sees demand for condos

And the energy sector continues to boost demand for office space:

Guess which industry is fueling Houston’s office demand?

Rents in energy cities soar

Last edited by toxteth o'grady; Nov 6, 2014 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:25 AM

Good. Downtown definitely needs some condo towers.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 4:46 PM

The HBJ print edition had a whole summary map of the projects downtown, although some of the dates and statuses were not entirely up-to-date.

Speaking of multifamily, this project, which may not have been mentioned previously, showed up as a building permit in the latest edition of HBJ:

Broadstone Energy Park:

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 6:25 PM

Forward-thinking master planning takes the next step for The Energy Corridor District

http://www.energycorridor.org/newsle.../november-2014

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
I use to live by this and this will be a huge boon for the area. Stafford is mostly industrial/logistics surrounded by mostly low income, working class neighborhoods near the Houston side. I wonder how expensive these units will be as this is in a decent location if you work in uptown or westchase area.
With zero property taxes for its residents and a 10-year tax exemption for opening a business in Stafford, seems to be a good move. I grew up in Stafford and this is sorely needed. Interesting to see how this affects The Fountains since they will be roughly across from each other on 59.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 7:18 PM

The Houston Chronicle posted these nice renderings of the proposed Sugar Land performance venue.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Nov 8, 2014 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 7:20 PM

The west continues to grow...

The Young Ranch Planed Development District, a master-planned community approved by the Katy City Council in October, will cover 388 acres south of Interstate 10 between Anserra and Willow Creek Farms on Pederson Road.

http://impactnews.com/houston-metro/...nity-approved/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 7:55 PM

That and the area around Conroe appear to be gearing up for some major homebuilding. The Metropolitan Houston limits are about to surpass Brookshire.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:15 PM

What will the SL performing arts center cater to? Will it be in direct competition with Cynthia Woods?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru18 View Post
What will the SL performing arts center cater to? Will it be in direct competition with Cynthia Woods?

Doubt it. They're way too far from each other to make any real impact on the other's business. Who from sugarland is going to make the journey all the way to the woodlands just to see a concert and vice versa? Not many people I think.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:25 PM

It's more an indoor venue, so while it may take some of the events that would normally go to the Mitchell, I think their focus will be different. It's probably more of a competitor to the Hobby Center.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
It's more an indoor venue, so while it may take some of the events that would normally go to the Mitchell, I think their focus will be different. It's probably more of a competitor to the Hobby Center.
I thought they were both concert venues (sugarland and woodlands)? Are there types of concerts that should be enjoyed outdoors as opposed to indoors?

If it really is intended to give Hobby Center competition, I hope it's not too much. Nobody is going to want to drive all the way to sugarland to watch an opera.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:48 PM

THE PLAZA GEORGE
Aaron Seward
The Architect's Newspaper
11-07-2014

Quote:
The George R. Brown Convention Center (GRB) in downtown Houston is set to receive a facelift in preparation for Super Bowl LI, which is coming to the Bayou City in 2017. Houston First Corporation, the quasi-governmental organization that operates the facility for the city, recently hired architecture firm WHR to bring the nearly 2 million-square-foot venue up to world class standards.
http://archpaper.com/news/articles.a...5#.VF0uIjTF9Zo

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
Nobody is going to want to drive all the way to sugarland to watch an opera.
I think they're going to go there to watch Reba McEntire

More development, hotel-wise; a new hotel is going into Tomball (well, it's only a Residence Inn, but still...)

New Tomball hotel slated to open in March 2016

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Doubt it. They're way too far from each other to make any real impact on the other's business. Who from sugarland is going to make the journey all the way to the woodlands just to see a concert and vice versa? Not many people I think.
People drive from all over Houston, including Sugar Land to Cythia Woods when big names come to town. I suspect Dave Matthews Band, ZZ Top, Cher or Garth Brooks would have a much more regional pull to TW than an Opera would to SL.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I thought they were both concert venues (sugarland and woodlands)? Are there types of concerts that should be enjoyed outdoors as opposed to indoors?

If it really is intended to give Hobby Center competition, I hope it's not too much. Nobody is going to want to drive all the way to sugarland to watch an opera.
Mitchell Pavilion has a much higher capacity, so the larger concerts are going to still be going there.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 1:18 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston1836 View Post
The west continues to grow...

The Young Ranch Planed Development District, a master-planned community approved by the Katy City Council in October, will cover 388 acres south of Interstate 10 between Anserra and Willow Creek Farms on Pederson Road.

http://impactnews.com/houston-metro/...nity-approved/
That's disgusting. The Katy Prairie has already been decimated. And now more will be destroyed for a terrifyingly boring planned suburban piece of crap "neighborhood". And I thought this was a forum for urban development, not crap open space destroying suburban development.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
That's disgusting. The Katy Prairie has already been decimated. And now more will be destroyed for a terrifyingly boring planned suburban piece of crap "neighborhood". And I thought this was a forum for urban development, not crap open space destroying suburban development.
Yeah, some of the articles being posted here, should not be posted here..I think this thread is being overthrown with articles on small, suburban developments and things that don't really have to do with development. From now on anyone who wants to continue to post articles on suburban projects should created a thread in the Texas/Southcentral section.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations