HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I think the black middle class is leaving eastern cities, like NYC, and western cities, like LA and Bay Area. Most middle class blacks want to live in a nice, newer house in the suburbs, and housing costs in cities like Atlanta and now Charlotte for newer big houses are much, much less than NYC, LA, etc. I wonder if the blacks leaving LA and SF are moving to places like Las Vegas and Phoenix... I also guess you can also get a nice newer house that is priced within your budget closer to the city in a place like Atlanta, but for other cities you have to live in the exurbs 50 or so miles from the city to get a cheaper newer house. I think that is the case in Chicago when I lived there; the newer suburban houses were in the far western suburbs, like Bolingbrook or Elgin, and the old inner suburbs, like Harvey had smaller houses and appeared to be decaying (some of the older suburbs that held up like Skokie and Evanston had older but every expensive houses) . I know many blacks from Long Island that moved to Atlanta area because of the nice big houses that would be could get for $200K or so; such houses would run $400-500K on Long Island, plus the taxes would be double or triple.
You can actually see it in the stats:
LA Metro: -8% change in black population
Riverside/San Bernardino Metro (what some would call LA's "exurbs"): +32.6% increase in black population

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I've always said that if the GOP wasn't so blatantly racist, got away from the Reagan is God mantra and focused on real issues, they would have a friend in working and middle class blacks.
I wonder how well someone like Herman Cain would've done. He was a serious contender at some point, if I recall correctly.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I wonder how well someone like Herman Cain would've done. He was a serious contender at some point, if I recall correctly.
^^^he's a smart dude, degrees in mathematics and computer science but i wouldn't call him a friend of the middle or working class. he's sat on the board of directors for little outfits like nabisco, whirpool and agco. he's been an analyst for coke and burger king too and did well at both, so he does know marketing. i wouldn't call him a grass roots kind of guy though....

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:54 AM

I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:55 AM

^^^ Those are raw numbers for the number of households. Metro-wise, two of the cities (NY/LA) are at 3-4 times the population of metro-Atlanta. And city-wise, those two cities are 8 times, 16 times the population of the city of Atlanta. Furthermore, the table simplifies the appeal of Atlanta to many Blacks to one area (household income) and negates many other factors.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
^^^ Those are raw numbers for the number of households. Metro-wise, two of the cities (NY/LA) are at 3-4 times the population of metro-Atlanta. And city-wise, those two cities are 8 times, 16 times the population of the city of Atlanta. Furthermore, the table simplifies the appeal of Atlanta to many Blacks to one area (household income) and negates many other factors.
And then add cost of living. 200k in Atlanta goes much farther than NYC and DC so people have more to spend and save.

People are trying to put down Atlanta again when it's been known forever now that it's the black mecca of America.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
People are trying to put down Atlanta again when it's been known forever now that it's the black mecca of America.

That's not how it works. Atlanta has a much higher proportion of African-American/Black households than NYC and LA.

# of African-American/Black Households (CSA):

NYC - 1,312,473
DC - 847,515
Atlanta - 650,767
Chicago - 599,038
LA - 482,581

New York only has 2x more black households than Atlanta, yet has nearly 4x the number of wealthy ones. So as a % of total black, NYC is still more of a mecca of wealthy black households than Atlanta. Los Angeles and Chicago too. Per capita wise, DC wins. Shocking, right? Not to me. Despite the media feed, there are far more prominent, tasteful, glamorous and rich blacks living in NYC, DC and LA. The most prominent one is more than likely moving to NYC when he leaves office. He would never live in Atlanta. The richest one lives in Santa Barbara. She would never live in Atlanta.

Last edited by 599GTO; Jan 28, 2015 at 7:19 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
And then add cost of living. 200k in Atlanta goes much farther than NYC and DC so people have more to spend and save.

I don't think anyone (or at least any sane person) would question that.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
That's not how it works. Atlanta has a much higher proportion of African-American/Black households than NYC and LA.

NYC - 1,312,473
DC - 847,515
Atlanta - 650,767
Chicago - 599,038
LA - 482,581

New York only has 2x more black households than Atlanta, yet has nearly 4x the number of wealthy ones. So as a % of total black, NYC is still more of a mecca of wealthy black households than Atlanta. Los Angeles and Chicago too. Per capita wise, DC wins. Shocking, right? Not to me. Despite the media feed, there are far more prominent, tasteful, glamorous and rich blacks living in NYC, DC and LA. The most prominent one is more than likely moving to NYC when he leaves office. He would never live in Atlanta. The richest one lives in Santa Barbara. She would never live in Atlanta.
You never fail to deliver gag-worthy posts.

How sad that your little bubble totally defines you.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Wow, the rust belt is terrible for American blacks. I have guessed as much.
Is Columbus part of the rust belt? It is surprising to me that Columbus comes in at # 22, far ahead of the next closest midwest city at #30. Why do you think that is?

I think that even being the 15th largest city(city limits) and with two million in the metro, Columbus is just, well...invisible to most people. I guess more so on here.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post

NYC - 1,312,473
DC - 847,515
Atlanta - 650,767
Chicago - 599,038
LA - 482,581

Yes, let's use anecdote evidence. Of course, not every black desires to live in Atlanta. No one is saying that.

However, the average black american is doing better in Atlanta than those three cities. The average black median income is only 35k or so. 200k would be nearly top 3% for blacks so that does not represent the average black American.

Only one you can give argument to is D.C. which has also been known as a black mecca. Truth is the average black cant afford Los Angeles and NYC....that's why they've been leaving those cities. The average black has much more of a chance in Atlanta.

Again, people love to put down Atlanta for whatever achievements possible.

Fact: Blacks have much more economical and politically here in Atlanta than anywhere else except D.C. Blacks are marginalized in Los Angeles and becoming marginalized in NYC as the area becomes more gentrified.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, let's use anecdote evidence. Of course, not every black desires to live in Atlanta. No one is saying that.

However, the average black american is doing better in Atlanta than those three cities. The average black median income is only 35k or so. 200k would be nearly top 3% for blacks so that does not represent the average black American.

Only one you can give argument to is D.C. which has also been known as a black mecca. Truth is the average black cant afford Los Angeles and NYC....that's why they've been leaving those cities. The average black has much more of a chance in Atlanta.

Again, people love to put down Atlanta for whatever achievements possible.

Fact: Blacks have much more economical and politically here in Atlanta than anywhere else except D.C. Blacks are marginalized in Los Angeles and becoming marginalized in NYC as the area becomes more gentrified.
They're marginalized in NYC and LA?

Black Fortune 500 CEOs
Kenneth Chenault - American Express. Headquarters: New York City
Kenneth C. Frazier - Merck & Co., Inc. Headquarters: Whitehouse Station, NJ
Roger W. Ferguson, Jr. - TIAA-CREF - Headquarters: New York City
Ursula M. Burns - Xerox Corporation - Headquarters: Bridgeport, CT

Don Thompson - McDonalds - Headquarters: Chicago, IL.
John W. Thompson - Microsoft Corporation. Headquarters: Redmond, WA

All but two live in greater New York. Peculiar how the liberated residents of Mecca can't manage to climb the corporate ladder, unlike the residents of oppressive NYC and LA where they're sooo marginalized.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 9:40 PM
The City

^ I actually agree with 599 GTO, although his irrational hard on for everything New York and his incessant need to defend it like a champion at the gates draws chuckles.

Anyhow, that data is a bit too "cherry picked" and I think a better list is black-owned businesses:

1 1 World Wide Technology Inc. Maryland Heights, MO David L. Steward 2,517 IT products/services $6,400.000
2 2 ACT-1 Group Torrance, CA Janice Bryant Howroyd 2,307 Staffing services 2,254.480
3 3 Bridgewater Interiors L.L.C. Detroit, MI Ronald E. Hall Sr. 1,500 Automotive parts supplier 1,500.000
4 4 Modular Assembly Innovations L.L.C. Dublin, OH Billy R. Vickers 250 Auto parts manufacturing and assembly 1,191.802
5 5 Manna Inc. Louisville, KY Ulysses Bridgeman Jr. 14,000 Quick service restaurants 630.000
6 6 The Anderson-DuBose Cos. Lordstown, OH Warren E. Anderson 437 Food and paper products distribution 545.701
7 8 Global Automotive Alliance L.L.C. Detroit, MI William F. Pickard 1,410 Automotive parts supplier 520.000
8 7 Thompson Hospitality Reston, VA Warren M. Thompson 4,250 Food and facilities management services, quick service restaurants 485.000
9 11 Radio One Inc.* Silver Spring, MD Alfred C. Liggins III 1,072 Radio broadcasting 448.700
10 9 SET Enterprises Inc. Warren, MI Sid E. Taylor 400 Metal processing 390.000
11 13 Fair Oaks Farms L.L.C. Pleasant Prairie, WI Michael L. Thompson 256 Food services 333.125
12 10 Hightowers Petroleum Co. Middletown, OH Stephen L. Hightower 25 Petroleum products distribution 308.000
13 15 H. J. Russell & Co. Atlanta, GA Michael B. Russell 1,344 Construction, real estate, and food concessions 269.271
14 14 Millennium Steel Service L.L.C. Princeton, IN Henry L. Jackson 57 Automotive steel processing annd warehousing 253.424
15 12 Manufacturers Industrial Group L.L.C. Lexington, TN Andre L. Gist 1,250 Automotive parts supplier 224.400
16 17 Mays Chemical Co. Inc. Indianapolis, IN Kristin Mays-Corbitt 212 Chemical distribution and management 191.500
17 18 Millennium Steel of Texas L.P. San Antonio, TX Henry L. Jackson 61 Automotive steel processing and warehousing 190.468
18 20 Baldwin Richardson Foods Co. Frankfort, IL Eric G. Johnson 280 Food services 174.900
19 16 Urban Lending Solutions Pittsburgh, PA Charles S. Sanders 1,371 Business services to the banking/mortgage industry 168.602
20 22 Harpo Inc. Chicago, IL Oprah Winfrey 233 Multimedia 164.000

http://www.blackenterprise.com/lists/be-100s-2014/

Full list at the link, but all in all I'm seeing that successful black businesses are geographically pretty widespread, countering the myth that Atlanta is America's black "mecca".

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 10:05 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

atlanta does get a lot of press and word of mouth for this, but it's not the only game in town for black america. cleveland is 53.3% black and absolutely qualifies as a chocolate city. you're my piece of the rock. and I love you, cc. can you dig it? god bless ya cc. and it's vanilla. suburbs.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I actually agree with 599 GTO, although his irrational hard on for everything New York and his incessant need to defend it like a champion at the gates draws chuckles.
He is a cartoon of the obnoxious/entitled New Yorker.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 12:51 AM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I actually agree with 599 GTO, .
+1

I'm really curious where they came up with the oppressive description for LA. Sure, there is a poor underclass but same thing in atl. And you see plenty of affluent blacks all over LA.

I think Atlanta is one of the black meccas in the country, but I'm uncomfortable calling it the absolute number one.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 1:50 AM

Just throwing this out there, but who really cares about means in this context? What's the median family income for blacks in metro Atlanta vs. the others in this discussion? This seems to be a better question to ask. A list of super wealthy black business owners, regardless of how long it is, will not be reflective of the actual population - just as it wouldn't for any other racial or ethnic group.

This could just be a product of branding and perception (largely driven by this very forum in my case), but I am under the impression that metro Atlanta tends to offer the best socio-political and economic environment for your every-day, middle/upper-middle class black family. Maybe rich blacks do better in LA or NYC, but again, as with any other population, they're not representative of the whole.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Just throwing this out there, but who really cares about means in this context? What's the median family income for blacks in metro Atlanta vs. the others in this discussion? This seems to be a better question to ask. A list of super wealthy black business owners, regardless of how long it is, will not be reflective of the actual population - just as it wouldn't for any other racial or ethnic group.

This could just be a product of branding and perception (largely driven by this very forum in my case), but I am under the impression that metro Atlanta tends to offer the best socio-political and economic environment for your every-day, middle/upper-middle class black family. Maybe rich blacks do better in LA or NYC, but again, as with any other population, they're not representative of the whole.
Exactly. Again, if NYC and LA were soooo great, why are they leaving those cities?

Rich people period do better in LA and NYC, no matter what the race.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Just throwing this out there, but who really cares about means in this context? What's the median family income for blacks in metro Atlanta vs. the others in this discussion?

Median Income, Black Married-couple families:

New York - $100,502
Los Angeles - $84,004
Atlanta - $80,185

Median Income, All Black families:

New York- $79,740
Los Angeles - $64,673
Atlanta - $63,775

Median Household Income, Black 25 to 44 years old head of household:

New York- $71,915
Los Angeles - $59,752
Atlanta - $54,843

Quote:
Exactly. Again, if NYC and LA were soooo great, why are they leaving those cities?

Rich people period do better in LA and NYC, no matter what the race.
The same reason McDonald's is a more popular restaurant than Masa. Not everyone can afford to live in New York and LA.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:42 AM

^^^ City-only or metro-wide numbers? Not adjusted for cost of living or regional salary variances?

I suspect that 80k in Decatur goes a lot further than 100k does anywhere in the Tri State area.

Edit: CNN Money's cost of living calculator says 80k in Atlanta is 106k in Nassau Co., 138k in Brooklyn and 180k in Manhattan. It's not even close where the money goes further.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions