HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 8:27 PM

Generally the idea of a day pass is that the passenger would pay less for transit than if they paid a fare each time they board so since the citizens of Halifax are not in the business of subsidizing tourists why not let them pay for each ride rather than saving them money. Tourists are supposed to have a positive effect on the local economy and we generally charge them as much as possible. Most tourists are quite prepared to pay while on vacation

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 8:38 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
Halifax Transit doesn't care about tourists.
Kanye moment.

But seriously, its a joke. There should also be credit card option on all buses as well. Couldn't square provide the readers for free?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 8:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Generally the idea of a day pass is that the passenger would pay less for transit than if they paid a fare each time they board so since the citizens of Halifax are not in the business of subsidizing tourists why not let them pay for each ride rather than saving them money. Tourists are supposed to have a positive effect on the local economy and we generally charge them as much as possible. Most tourists are quite prepared to pay while on vacation
Some people will decide not to take transit when faced with the choice of buying many single-trip tickets instead of a daypass. I have definitely done this when visiting cities.

Another problem with your argument is that, when looking at whether or not another passenger is a net benefit in terms of transit revenue, you need to look at the marginal cost of that passenger, not the average subsidy for all tickets. It costs approximately $0 to put another passenger on a partly-empty bus that would have followed the same route with or without them. You're better off taking the passenger at $1 than not. Even if that dollar doesn't fully cover the cost of the trip, the cost is sunk; the money collected is what matters.

Tourists often travel at odd hours so the partly-empty bus scenario is probably the norm for them.

I suspect the biggest problem for visitors in Halifax who want to take transit is that the bus routes are a mess. It is hard to tell what the most efficient routes are and where the buses will take you. If Halifax had one or two major high-frequency routes along well-market corridors it would be a lot easier.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 9:03 PM

The tourist day-pass could be a profit center for Transit. Tourists pay whatever for the day pass, take one disappointing/confusing/horror-show trip on the bus, swear "never again!", and find other ways to get around.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=someone123;7769835]Some people will decide not to take transit when faced with the choice of buying many single-trip tickets instead of a daypass. I have definitely done this when visiting cities.

So you decided to not take a bus because there was no day pass available so you what? took cabs? Not normally a good choice when traveling on the cheap.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 3:44 PM

Got a little bored today

Halifax Transit released their annual report the other day. Included in this report are passenger count numbers by route ; Q4 Halifax Transit Report

As a north-end Halifax resident I regularly walk the Hydrostone neighbourhood. On my walks I've noticed that buses are getting stuck outbound in front of Hydrostone Market. This area has not been identified by Halifax as needing Transit Priority Measures installed partly due to it not having a "corridor" route. The bottleneck is caused by the combination of the narrow section of Young Street between Agricola and Robie and the lack of capacity at the pair of traffic lights at Robie/Young/Kempt. Currently the immediate area is serviced by two corridor routes (7 & 80), six urban express routes (21, 31, 33, 34, 35, & 86), two local routes (42 & 81), and one regional express (330).

Since the Halifax Transit route data does not break down where the passengers are boarding and deboarding I've trimmed the routes. Routes 7, 80 & 81 are all full service routes where the data would include passengers going nowhere near this area and passengers in the late evening when ridership is much lower. These routes service 45 ppl/hr (#7), 34 ppl/hr (#80), and 27 ppl/hr (#81) which is above minimum service standards. Route 21 was also ignored due to only a handful of it's all day runs travelling into the urban centre. The other routes can be safely assumed that most passengers are passing through this area due to their specific destinations and urban express nature. Together these routes make 106 trips through the area with a total of 3'249 passengers. According to the Moving Forward Together Plan express routes should have a minimum of 20 passengers per trip. Currently the are has 30.65 passengers per trip.

Under the approved MFTP this area will see roughly the same level of transit service. Routes 330, 7 A&B, and 8 (currently #80) will remain mostly the same with some increased service. Route 42 will be discontinued in the area, and eight urban express routes will be installed (4 from Clayton Park, 4 from Bedford). Five of the express routes can be compared to existing routes and the remaining three should balance out the removal of the 42 from the area during peak travel times.

So the question that arises is, does at least 3200 passengers a day justify spending some money on TPM's in the Young/Robie area? I think the answer is yes!

TPM's could be any of the following;

- Dual left-turn Kempt onto Young. This would separate cars heading onto Robie SB from buses heading onto Young EB. This could be done easily and quickly.
- Young between Agricola & Robie needs to be widened. There needs to be two lanes WB to avoid queues in front of Hydrostone Market. The new lane could be marked 'Right Turn Only Except Buses'.
- Young WB at Agricola the right-hand lane could become a bus queue jump. A transit signal would be needed since there is no receiving lane. The bus only lane could extend back to Isleville. This could be done easily and quickly.
- Young EB has less queue issues but if justified a bus-only lane could be installed from Agricola to the right-turn lane onto Gottingen. No parking would have to be introduced from 6am-9am but since it is before the Hydrostone Market's opening hours it should be uncontroversial.

Considering Young Street's designation as a growth centre in the Centre Plan I strongly believe that in 10-15 years time a bus terminal will be required in this area. No spot would be more perfect than the Esso/Tim Horton's complex at Young and Robie.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jun 19, 2017 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 4:47 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Please tell me you have some input into the workings of Halifax Transit. They need someone who knows what he/she is talking about. Our bus system could be so much better. I live in Clayton Park and except for the early morning/late afternoon "express" buses, the service to downtown is so slow. I couldn't imagine taking the bus to commute around metro, it takes far too long. We really need faster service and with that would come more usage!!!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 7:59 PM

I will never understand Halifax Transit.
I grew up in Toronto and if I wanted to go by transit they followed the main roads Eglinton to Yonge to Bloor, etc. I did not expect to get on a bus on Eglinton and never have to transfer to get to Bloor.
Halifax seems to have a bus to everywhere come by just about every stop and wind its way all over the place past every possible place I might want to go. Who ever came up with such a plan? Might have been ok way back in the olden days when the buses only served the peninsula but sure does not work today. There should be 3 or 4 loops on the peninsula and the suburban routes should intersect with the loops. Everybody coming in from the suburbs should transfer to a loop when they hit the peninsula, no need for buses from everywhere to wind up and down every street on the peninsula.
By feeding the loops there would be a bus every 5 minutes on the peninsula.
There should be prime suburban routes along eg Bedford Hwy and Herring Cove Rd that could run much later than other less traveled routes. If it was late at nite you might get a bus to within a mile or two from where you were going but that would be much better than walking all the way from Halifax to Sackville

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:45 AM

Food for thought

http://https://itsmorethanbuses.com/2017/06/19/transit-ridership-continues-to-decline-hits-5-year-low/

We need council to create a regional transit authority and start thinking bigger then just buses.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 2:17 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Got a little bored today

Halifax Transit released their annual report the other day. Included in this report are passenger count numbers by route ; Q4 Halifax Transit Report

As a north-end Halifax resident I regularly walk the Hydrostone neighbourhood. On my walks I've noticed that buses are getting stuck outbound in front of Hydrostone Market. This area has not been identified by Halifax as needing Transit Priority Measures installed partly due to it not having a "corridor" route. The bottleneck is caused by the combination of the narrow section of Young Street between Agricola and Robie and the lack of capacity at the pair of traffic lights at Robie/Young/Kempt. Currently the immediate area is serviced by two corridor routes (7 & 80), six urban express routes (21, 31, 33, 34, 35, & 86), two local routes (42 & 81), and one regional express (330).

Since the Halifax Transit route data does not break down where the passengers are boarding and deboarding I've trimmed the routes. Routes 7, 80 & 81 are all full service routes where the data would include passengers going nowhere near this area and passengers in the late evening when ridership is much lower. These routes service 45 ppl/hr (#7), 34 ppl/hr (#80), and 27 ppl/hr (#81) which is above minimum service standards. Route 21 was also ignored due to only a handful of it's all day runs travelling into the urban centre. The other routes can be safely assumed that most passengers are passing through this area due to their specific destinations and urban express nature. Together these routes make 106 trips through the area with a total of 3'249 passengers. According to the Moving Forward Together Plan express routes should have a minimum of 20 passengers per trip. Currently the are has 30.65 passengers per trip.

Under the approved MFTP this area will see roughly the same level of transit service. Routes 330, 7 A&B, and 8 (currently #80) will remain mostly the same with some increased service. Route 42 will be discontinued in the area, and eight urban express routes will be installed (4 from Clayton Park, 4 from Bedford). Five of the express routes can be compared to existing routes and the remaining three should balance out the removal of the 42 from the area during peak travel times.

So the question that arises is, does at least 3200 passengers a day justify spending some money on TPM's in the Young/Robie area? I think the answer is yes!

TPM's could be any of the following;

- Dual left-turn Kempt onto Young. This would separate cars heading onto Robie SB from buses heading onto Young EB. This could be done easily and quickly.
- Young between Agricola & Robie needs to be widened. There needs to be two lanes WB to avoid queues in front of Hydrostone Market. The new lane could be marked 'Right Turn Only Except Buses'.
- Young WB at Agricola the right-hand lane could become a bus queue jump. A transit signal would be needed since there is no receiving lane. The bus only lane could extend back to Isleville. This could be done easily and quickly.
- Young EB has less queue issues but if justified a bus-only lane could be installed from Agricola to the right-turn lane onto Gottingen. No parking would have to be introduced from 6am-9am but since it is before the Hydrostone Market's opening hours it should be uncontroversial.

Considering Young Street's designation as a growth centre in the Centre Plan I strongly believe that in 10-15 years time a bus terminal will be required in this area. No spot would be more perfect than the Esso/Tim Horton's complex at Young and Robie.
Really well considered and defended post. Nice job!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 5:51 PM

The sad thing is that the properties on the south side of Young between Agricola and Robie have all been demolished and rebuilt over the last few years, and HRM did nothing to rectify that bottleneck. It would actually have been quite easy if they had even a tiny amount of foresight.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 3:22 AM

Effective August 21st, 2017 Halifax Transit is ending service on route 402 and school specials.

New Route 194 - West Bedford Express will be introduced. It will connect the future site of West Bedford Terminal on Innovation Drive to Downtown Halifax via Highway 102 with limited stop service on Kemp-Young-Gottingen.

Route 330 - Tantallon Express is also getting a new AM inbound trip from Tantallon to Scotia Square.

Halifax Transit - Service Improvements

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 4:42 PM

Mumford Terminal Replacement - Open House (2 p.m.)

Wed, 20 September, 2-4pm & 6-8pm
St. Agnes Parish Hall, 6903 Mumford Rd, Halifax

Join Halifax Transit to review potential sites for the new Mumford Terminal. Give feedback on the proposed options and ask project staff your questions.

halifax.ca/transit

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 10:16 PM

Here are the options presented for the potential future locations for Halifax Transit's Mumford Terminal. I voted for 9 - Existing Site Expansion, 10 - HSC Sobeys off street, and 6 - Bayers & Connaught. The survey is available by clicking below (takes you to halifax.ca).

Halifax Developments Blog (Map originally from Halifax.ca)

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Here are the options presented for the potential future locations for Halifax Transit's Mumford Terminal. I voted for 9 - Existing Site Expansion, 10 - HSC Sobeys off street, and 6 - Bayers & Connaught. The survey is available by clicking below (takes you to halifax.ca).

Halifax Developments Blog (Map originally from Halifax.ca)
Option 7: Doesn't seem like a lot of space

Option 9: If the plan is to get rid of HS Studio Salonspa and half the parking lot, this would cause the least disturbance.

Option 11: I wonder how much space is available as it is next to Wholesale Club. This option would be a great transfer to/from potential commuter rail as it is next the the CN Rail tracks.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 5:13 PM

Don't worry.. No matter what we think or the logic behind out thoughts, halifax transit will figure out a way to screw this up. You can't fix incompetence like these guys show with public meetings and fluffy teddy bears...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
Don't worry.. No matter what we think or the logic behind out thoughts, halifax transit will figure out a way to screw this up. You can't fix incompetence like these guys show with public meetings and fluffy teddy bears...
Sad but true.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 7:37 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

When it comes to a transit terminal, it makes sense to try very hard to get a site that's well-located near things people want to visit and can function well as a multi-modal hub. For Mumford this means being close to the malls and maybe connecting up with the commuter rail station (why rebuild a new terminal before the commuter rail question is resolved? Mumford was redone maybe 15 years ago). It also means planning for intensification around this area. I guess Bayers Road is a viable second option. There's nothing around sites like number 6. Many of the bus terminals in Halifax aren't conveniently located near anything, are too cramped, and have limited potential for transit-oriented development.

I think a big part of the problem is that there is little or no high-level strategy or direction. What sort of system will Halifax have in 20 years? Will there be major transit corridors? Hopefully. In larger cities the subway or similar systems provide a backbone to build around, but Halifax has nothing like that.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 1:16 AM
BANNED

I thought that it would be a great idea to dig down and make it an underground terminal. If they ever build rail transit, this would fit in well.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 2:59 AM
Halifax Promoter!

I love Halifax, but and it's a big but.... it seems like when it comes to any sort of planning, there are huge gaps and not much thought given to the future, they seem to think (if they think at all) of the here and now, without any thoughts for the future. I agree with the comments above. The Transit planning here is putting the proverbial cart before the horse. They should take a step (or two) back and look at the big picture instead of the narrow-minded views currently shown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure