HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

750 Pacific Boulevard East Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 5:09 AM

My opinion..

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 6:34 AM
Be nice.

I just wish they would add in a public swimming pool.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 6:50 AM

Quite possibly THE worst place in the city to put that bridge/arch building idea. At virtually any open site in SEFC it could work, but here, at the exact perfect height and location to obscure the far more interesting stadium roof/lighting effects behind it - clearly intentionally - the idea severely detracts from both the stadium and the development. That bridge just doesn't work, hopefully it doesn't make it into the finished product...

(edit: re swimming pool: at a different location, would love to see an arch building hotel where the bottom floor of the arch has a glass-bottomed swimming pool...)

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 7:15 AM
See ya down under, mates

The arch building seems extra silly when there's going to be another one of those near Science World. It's like they expected BC Place to be a lot uglier than it is.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huenthar View Post
Quite possibly THE worst place in the city to put that bridge/arch building idea. At virtually any open site in SEFC it could work, but here, at the exact perfect height and location to obscure the far more interesting stadium roof/lighting effects behind it - clearly intentionally - the idea severely detracts from both the stadium and the development. That bridge just doesn't work, hopefully it doesn't make it into the finished product...

(edit: re swimming pool: at a different location, would love to see an arch building hotel where the bottom floor of the arch has a glass-bottomed swimming pool...)
Quickly looking at the documents shows they try to hide, obscure, and marginalize the stadium at every opportunity. There were several options I understand and I assume someone with the city is nudging them in this direction. What I see is a major battle between Vancouver city council and the Province, there are way to many subtle jabs going back and forth. Personally I think and dearly hope that Meggs and Robertson are on the losing end, and I think they will be, but it will be tough thanks to their media connections, and for them its all that matters. I cant and dont want to get involved in this crap anyways so I will leave it as that.

The point is its clear they are trying to block the view of the stadium, and I will bet a pretty penny the city, and specific people in it are the ones pushing this concept.

/rant

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 6:34 PM

And here's the reason they can't build a tall tower in place of the arch:

The City Hall view cone: 9.1

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/views/viewcones/91.htm

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 6:43 PM
Reason and Freedom

The arch is contextually absurd. Not only will it pointlessly obscure attractive views of the brand new stadium roof, the arch seems designed to maximize contact (and thus conflict) between residential suites and the stadium and what is supposed to be an entertainment zone.

Last edited by Prometheus; Jul 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 7:53 PM

I didn't know about that page on view cones - thanks! I know people here have troubles with the view cones, but I think they are a good thing for this city. North Shore mountains are such a beautiful part of Vancouver and I love seeing them between the buildings. Would be such a shame if one could not see the mountains from south of Downtown.

To the arch building I must add that after thinking more about it, I am also not sure that's the best place for it. I would like to see such different architecture elsewhere in Downtown, but BC Place is such an impressive building, that obscuring the view with this building is not worth it.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 10:19 PM
Be nice.

A couple of buildings with a similar theme.

Here are few building-designs that are more interesting than what is being proposed here, in my humble opinion.

Source.

Source.

Source.

Source.

I understand the renders we have are not the final versions...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Conga View Post
Here are few building-designs that are more interesting than what is being proposed here, in my humble opinion.

Source.

Source.

Source.

Source.

I understand the renders we have are not the final versions...
No doubt these designs are more "interesting". What does that have to do with this proposal?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
My opinion..

Why? The other towers will end up being just like the rest of Yaletown. This one is unique to Vancouver, and Canada. At least thru the middle you can see BC place. I don't see why everyone is hating on this building. It will be iconic. That is what Vancouver needs.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 11:52 PM

I'm sorry, I'm just so sick of reading everyone's complaints on a decent proposal that would get praised in any other Canadian city. Especially when a generic cookie cutter condo is proposed and everyone wishes it were something different.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 5:05 AM

That arch building would actually look pretty cool on the Cambie Bridge parking lots, stretched over the city-bound lanes of Cambie Bridge.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 6:17 AM

Now there is a goo idea, or how about across the viaducts?? Oh wait, sorry vision...

I think the problem with this building is not the design (I actually like it) but the location, blocking the stadium from view (a true landmark) and putting thousands more residents in our new "entertainment district"

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Now there is a goo idea, or how about across the viaducts?? Oh wait, sorry vision...

I think the problem with this building is not the design (I actually like it) but the location, blocking the stadium from view (a true landmark) and putting thousands more residents in our new "entertainment district"

eg-friggin-xactly..... Across the viaducts or the bridge heads? That would be perfect. Here, not so much.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 6:40 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Agree a bridge building over the viaducts would look pretty impressive, and it would be justifiable because it suits the location. Here not so much, they could've created a 87M tall building shaped like Expo Ernie, at least it would be more appropriate given the location. Come on JKMC give us a super sized Expo Ernie.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolmak View Post
Why? The other towers will end up being just like the rest of Yaletown. This one is unique to Vancouver, and Canada. At least thru the middle you can see BC place. I don't see why everyone is hating on this building. It will be iconic. That is what Vancouver needs.
We already have iconic buildings in Vancouver, such as BC Place and Canada Place. This arch building, while somewhat unique (similar designs exist elsewhere in the world), is nothing more than several standard ericksons stuck together. It would make me happier if it were over one of the viaducts, but I'm really not a fan of this kind of building at all. I want to see curves and twists in the future buildings around the city, not four ninety degree angles.

While Metro-One is usually the first one to reference Japan in any given thread here , this reminds me a lot of the Tokyo Telecom Center in Odaiba, Japan.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=9193

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Conga View Post
Yikes, but if that isn't one of the most tactless designs I've ever seen.

9/11 imagery much?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
No doubt these designs are more "interesting". What does that have to do with this proposal?
I think these are arch-type buildings to be contrasted with James Cheng's design.

my sentimental favorite is, shucks, in Japan - the Umeda Sky building in osaka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umeda_Sky_Building

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 4:30 PM
+

If the goal is to preserve views of BC Place, I'd much prefer a tower like this:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver