HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 4:41 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
Beautiful building. Something didn't look quite californian : the 5 windows of the second floor and the front roof. They look rather western european (XVIII/XIX centuries).
That style is very common for the era (Beaux Arts and Renaissance Revival, 1890s to maybe early 1920s) and were intended to reflect European architectural influences--take a look at places like the Central Library and 9th and I, the Elks Building or Masonic Building on J, the Red Men's Hall at 21st and L. The motif using a pent roof or parapet of clay tile is another hallmark, intended to suggest Mediterranean architecture. The idea was to reflect California's Mediterranean climate with buildings that had a bit of European flair.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 12:03 AM
Hindrance to Development

Here's a timely ad from the 1920s...

Sacramento Solves a Parking Problem

The twelve Sacramento Cars, built by the American Car Company, are operated on the principal line of the Pacific Gas & Electric system. These cars attract first-class patronage because they offer more than a relief from the parking problem; they are comfortable--safe--well ventilated and lighted.

From the operating point of view, this new equipment is equally satisfactory--light in weight and equipped with time-tested Brill 177-E Trucks which reduce maintenance costs to the minimum. Here, then, is another link in the chain of evidence that there is no better combination than Brill Cars equipped with Brill Trucks.

The J.G. Brill Company, Philadelphia

I'm guessing this ad came out in 1929 or 1930, as PG&E ordered a dozen of these Brill cars and introduced them in December of 1929, with banners pronouncing them "PG&E's Christmas present to Sacramento." For years afterward they were known as the "Christmas cars." They replaced some of PG&E's older wooden-bodied streetcars in regular service, although the older cars were still kept around for use in peak-demand service, such as during the California State Fair or for Solons games.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Here's a timely ad from the 1920s...

Sacramento Solves a Parking Problem

The twelve Sacramento Cars, built by the American Car Company, are operated on the principal line of the Pacific Gas & Electric system. These cars attract first-class patronage because they offer more than a relief from the parking problem; they are comfortable--safe--well ventilated and lighted.

From the operating point of view, this new equipment is equally satisfactory--light in weight and equipped with time-tested Brill 177-E Trucks which reduce maintenance costs to the minimum. Here, then, is another link in the chain of evidence that there is no better combination than Brill Cars equipped with Brill Trucks.

The J.G. Brill Company, Philadelphia

I'm guessing this ad came out in 1929 or 1930, as PG&E ordered a dozen of these Brill cars and introduced them in December of 1929, with banners pronouncing them "PG&E's Christmas present to Sacramento." For years afterward they were known as the "Christmas cars." They replaced some of PG&E's older wooden-bodied streetcars in regular service, although the older cars were still kept around for use in peak-demand service, such as during the California State Fair or for Solons games.

Great Post, sorry for the delayed response I have a sick father and have been tied up

Love the street car history and see Sacramento is moving towards bringing them back sounds like as a possibility

http://www.riverfrontstreetcar.com/n...treetcar-plan/

Last edited by OutlawImages; Feb 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 8:12 PM

Sad to hear about another historical building with plans to "renovate" but change drastically is a better description

The Marshall Hotel at 7th and Lst built in 1911 is now sitting vacant and needs work/upgrades and I get that. Just hate to see major changes that leave the shell the only original part of the historic building

Current photo

Proposed redevelopment plans

Redevelopment story here
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament....html?page=all

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 5:58 PM

Why is this so sad? Have you even been to the Marshall in say, the last 20 years? It's siting empty now but it took the owners years to get the residents out because they were required (why?) to find them need homes and nobody wanted to take the addicts, mentally ill and criminals that once populated the Marshall. The place was trashed years ago so buck up, dry your tears, and get over it.

I'm all for preservation but given the current condition of the building and the realistic adaptive use options I'm just happy the facade is being retained because it could just as easily be torn down. This sort of thing has happened many times in cities with much stronger histories of historic preservation than ours.

Unless you are going to raise the money to buy it and restore it to it's former "glory" ? I thought not.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Why is this so sad? Have you even been to the Marshall in say, the last 20 years? It's siting empty now but it took the owners years to get the residents out because they were required (why?) to find them need homes and nobody wanted to take the addicts, mentally ill and criminals that once populated the Marshall. The place was trashed years ago so buck up, dry your tears, and get over it.

I'm all for preservation but given the current condition of the building and the realistic adaptive use options I'm just happy the facade is being retained because it could just as easily be torn down. This sort of thing has happened many times in cities with much stronger histories of historic preservation than ours.

Unless you are going to raise the money to buy it and restore it to it's former "glory" ? I thought not.
Ozone you make valid points and I do not disagree with you on them

I guess I just have feelings of mellon collie at watching another historical old building being changed as we lose them to change

Back east they have so many historical buildings going back hundreds of years. We on the west coast seem to prefer demolishing them and putting up some new concrete building every 20-30 years

I do see your point, if I dont have millions to do something with the building then oh well

Progress moves on, I just like old things , thats just me

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 4:09 PM
Hindrance to Development

I don't think Ozone's points are valid and disagree with them. He tends to say he's "all for preservation" but never has an example of a building that he would rather protect than demolish, so it just comes off like one of those guys who says "I'm not racist but..." just before saying some incredibly racist thing. And the idea that only someone rich enough to buy every building they want to save has any right to call for alternatives or even feel melancholy about losing a building, that's just ridiculous.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 5:36 PM

Quote:
I don't think Ozone's points are valid and disagree with them. He tends to say he's "all for preservation" but never has an example of a building that he would rather protect than demolish, so it just comes off like one of those guys who says "I'm not racist but..." just before saying some incredibly racist thing. And the idea that only someone rich enough to buy every building they want to save has any right to call for alternatives or even feel melancholy about losing a building, that's just ridiculous.
Great moments in smarmy race baiting! It even applies to the merits of preserving old buildings vs. tearing them down and building something new!

Let's face it--not every old building is worth saving, especially if it is just too costly to do so vs. demolition and new construction.

Some people want more development in the central city, but then make it a living hell for any developer who tries to do any....

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Well, look you don't know me so I don't even know why you would make that analogy? Of course, in an ideal world I like to see the Marshall faithfully restored along with it's earlier context. But that's not the reality. It's going to be right next to a hulking sports arena, across the street from a multi story parking garage, office buildings, etc. Sure they could turn keep it intact and turn it into a boutique hotel, but that's not their vision and as I pointed out the area is not exactly charming enough to appeal to people looking for that. So at the end of day I'm supporting the Hyatt Place project because it will bring new life/energy to a currently depressing/deteriorated corner of downtown. AND the good thing is that the attractive historic facade is being saved! Do people have the right to lament the lost of the interior? I guess so. But how many people have actually seen the inside? I have been inside it. Can people suggest alternatives. Sure it's a free country. But their opinions, no matter how self-righteous, should not hold up progress. If we were talking about a truly historical and/or architecturally significant structure I would feel differently. But this ain't Penn Station.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 5:58 AM
Hindrance to Development

So, you don't think the building should be used as a hotel? Funny, considering that's their plan.

The comment about Penn Station pretty much proves my point. If Penn Station is the bare minimum for you to consider something historic, that pretty much rules out just about any building in Sacramento. Seems like the only historic buildings you like are ones that are already demolished, or aren't in Sacramento, or both. Which was kind of my point.

But we can argue about the Marshall in other rooms...time for some more noir-ish Sacramento!

The El Rancho restaurant on L Street, in the barrio of the West End. Notice the Tokyo Hotel--the neighborhood was a mixture of Japanese, Mexican, Chinese, African-American and even a small Filipino community.

Copa de Oro restaurant on 2nd and J Street.

The Mel-O-Dee Club was originally on 11th and K Street across from Buddy Baer's, it moved to 11th and I in the 1940s. Across the street from the Elks Building, it became an "after hours" spot for those attending Elks functions or visiting the Top of the Town. The Mel-O-Dee stayed open later and featured hotter jazz than the more upscale "Top."

Bar napkin from Buddy Baer's.

Ad for the Mo-Mo Club, 6th and Capitol.

Another Mo-Mo ad. Across the street from the legendary Zanzibar, the Mo-Mo lasted longer, and may have relocated to Oak Park. A nightclub above Harlow's on J Street still carries the name.

The "Scramble" system, used to cross busy downtown streets in the mid-1950s. This was a three-phase system that included a phase where pedestrians could cross the street in any direction, including diagonally, to allow better pedestrian flow without cars turning in front of pedestrians.

El Mirador Hotel at 14th and N Street was a mid-century marvel with a top-floor bar that became a popular politicians' hangout. The swimming pool had a window facing into the second-story bar/restaurant, with live "water ballet" performances, more than 50 years before the "mermaid bar" opened on K Street. Today the hotel is senior housing.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 5:34 PM

Hey to you all

Just checking back in

Sorry for my absence , I am having some medical issues and have been buried in Dr appointments and tests

I will be back but please help keep the thread going till I get back

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 3:36 AM
Hindrance to Development

I've been buried in research! Earlier this spring I gave a talk about the West End in the 1920s accompanied by the Harley White Jr. jazz orchestra playing music of the era, and contemporary music of the same style inspired by the era, following a lunch inspired by food of the era (a Japanese/Chinese fusion since I was talking about Japantown and Chinatown, featuring primarily locally grown ingredients) prepared by Adam Pechal. It made for a pretty good combo--we're planning more events with more of a 1940s theme. Here are a few products of that research--all images from the Sacramento Bee between 1940 and 1959:

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 9:49 PM

Hoping to be able to be back soon and post more Sacramento history

Wburg hope all is well and you will keep posting as well

Hope 2015 has been good to everyone

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 8:34 PM

Anyone else hate Photobucket now for destroying our hard work

Photobucket - A "Hosting website" that gets mad when you use them to 'HOST"!

No sense whatsoever

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 6:53 AM

Well check back after a few years and looks like Photobucket after pissing off everyone opted to watermark pictures

Ugly but better than erasing them without notice like they did before

Should start posting here again

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 1:58 AM

Thanks guys and gals for all the historical Sacramento info-this is a fun thread!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
Thanks guys and gals for all the historical Sacramento info-this is a fun thread!
Please feel free to jump in, love anything Sacramento historical

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area