HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I didn't say I wanted one, just that it's not far fetched. And yeah I love the above pictures.

We're going to have to "ruin" the "movie set" look if we want to fill in the surface lots. I'd much rather have modern buildings than some of the faux-heritage ones we've seen around town which would look just as bad.
yeah it's inevitable I guess.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:54 PM
BANNED

It is no different than vibrant cities all over the globe where modern towers butt against historic buildings.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
It is no different than vibrant cities all over the globe where modern towers butt against historic buildings.
Exactly – and every city in Europe has MUCH older buildings with more "historic value" than ours that are just passing the century mark.

Even look at Portage here – there's actually still a good number of beautiful historic buildings beside new ones, and it's great. Especially around Garry & Portage.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 3:53 PM

Fuck Hollywood!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 3:55 PM

New buildings shouldn't do much to affect movies that come specifically for that heritage feel. There are entire blocks in the exchange that can be used for shots. Also with modern day CGI, the skills of DOP's and directors finding suitable locations in and around modern buildings wouldn't be an issue, especially when you associate the cost benefit with shooting in Winnipeg over New York, etc.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 4:05 PM

Umm, the original proposal by Urban Recluse, aka Ken Zaifman, was for a building the size of 390 to be built in the Exchange. The Exchange is an historic district, and there are restrictions. That's the reality. It doesn't mean that modern can't be combined with heritage. But to be an historic district, there are standards. Again, this isn't rocket science.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 4:07 PM
BANNED

It is not too tall. Get over yourself Nancy.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Umm, the original proposal by Urban Recluse, aka Ken Zaifman, was for a building the size of 390 to be built in the Exchange. The Exchange is an historic district, and there are restrictions. That's the reality. It doesn't mean that modern can't be combined with heritage. But to be an historic district, there are standards. Again, this isn't rocket science.
Modern design in the Exchange is fine, we shouldn't stunt the development of an entire neighbourhood for the sake of a couple three-week movie shoots a year. Even if the amount of movies being filmed here increased x10, it would still have a fairly minor economic impact relative to something that's permanently located in a building operating 365 days a year... don't fall for the magical Hollywood fairy dust.

That said, new buildings in the Exchange should be consistent with the overall built form of the area. A 30 storey skyscraper would look out of place on the Marketlands site. But that said, there is plenty of room for skyscrapers on the edge of the Exchange without necessarily being right inside the sensitive heritage areas... for instance, on Ellice, Notre Dame (the triangle site or closer to Calvary Temple) or right on Main where there are already some skyscrapers.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Modern design in the Exchange is fine, we shouldn't stunt the development of an entire neighbourhood for the sake of a couple three-week movie shoots a year. Even if the amount of movies being filmed here increased x10, it would still have a fairly minor economic impact relative to something that's permanently located in a building operating 365 days a year... don't fall for the magical Hollywood fairy dust.

That said, new buildings in the Exchange should be consistent with the overall built form of the area. A 30 storey skyscraper would look out of place on the Marketlands site. But that said, there is plenty of room for skyscrapers on the edge of the Exchange without necessarily being right inside the sensitive heritage areas... for instance, on Ellice, Notre Dame (the triangle site or closer to Calvary Temple) or right on Main where there are already some skyscrapers.
So you seem to be agreeing with I'm saying, which is it is important to maintain the integrity of the Exchange because it is a treasure and a national heritage site, and there are guidelines that go along with that, i.e., 30 storey highrises that Urban "Ken Zaifman" Recluse wants to build don't fit. And modern elements that don't affect the integrity of the district are fine. I never said anything about movies, although movie sets would be attracted to the area for obvious reasons. The Exchange is not national movie set district, and has not been protected because of movies. That's a red herring. It's a national "historic" site, which recognizes an historical district and collection of a certain type of architecture. Not unlike other Canadian cities, such as Quebec City. The overall integrity has to be maintained otherwise you have the phenomena of chipping away until that character, that specialness, is gone. But it doesn't mean modern elements cannot be introduced.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 6:14 PM

^ I think we're on the same page. Modern design is fine, there are better places for skyscrapers though. Personally I could live with skyscrapers on the edge of the Exchange or on Main.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 6:17 PM
BANNED

Hey Nancy, your employer must get a tax break for keeping you employed there.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 6:37 PM

Whoa, this is getting pretty personal guys!

am i the only one who google imaged Ken Zaifman?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 6:35 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post

Two or three more of these along Donald between St. Mary and Broadway would be primo!

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 7:35 PM

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Damn I love the color of glass and spandrel. How nice it would be to build another one like this where SkyCity was supposed to be built.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 8:38 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Damn I love the color of glass and spandrel. How nice it would be to build another one like this where SkyCity was supposed to be built.
You could fit like 3 of these on the skycity site

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 11:57 PM

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:34 PM

Sheesh, I might allow myself to get excited... that's gorgeous.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:07 PM
BANNED

I can tell you're excited...hehehe

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 4:52 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan