HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 7:38 PM

Here's some more of that exciting gravel vacuuming operation:

Also noticed the construction hoarding has come down around the new TD branch in the concourse.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 8:27 PM

^^^Thank you, I have been dying to get more updates no matter how small.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
^^^Thank you, I have been dying to get more updates no matter how small.
Me too, I can barely handle the wait. We are finally getting our NEW TALLEST after all these years. It will be visible from all over and it will be glorious.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 5:09 PM

A crane of some size is going up on June 9th. They are closing 2 lanes of Main from Portage to Graham for 4 hours.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
A crane of some size is going up on June 9th. They are closing 2 lanes of Main from Portage to Graham for 4 hours.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 12:36 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Can't wait.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Does that seem long enough to get a crane in place?

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 2:32 PM
the first stamp is free

^ from what I understand, they are working on the structure of the 4-storey area between the towers first, and that will be what we see rising up initially. I don't know if that area needs the use of a tower crane, so it may mean that the first crane(s) will be smaller ones to do that work.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 2:40 PM

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 3:33 PM

They are closing traffic for 3 or 4 hours. That means they are setting up a crane somewhere on their property. It must be small enough to fit on the driveway but big enough that they just couldn't drive it there. So maybe it's a crane with tank tread that has to be flat-bedded to the site and wood boards have to be put down for it to travel on the pavement.
There doesn't seem to be enough space on the driveway to place the yellow crane on Graham that took down the crane at TNS.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
TD turns the corner
Bank moves to Artis REIT building on other side of Portage and Main
Martin Cash By: Martin Cash
Posted: 05/28/2018

The barriers that prevent foot traffic have not yet come down, but there’s a new look at Portage and Main.

There is no new building — it just looks like there is. That’s because Artis REIT has finished the $25-million replacement of the exterior curtain wall of its 30-storey 360 Main St. building.

'It’s important ‘to have the TD shield reappear on the Winnipeg skyline,’ says Simon Hong, district vice-president for branch banking in Manitoba.

To complete the transformation, the TD Bank logo is going up on all four sides at the top of the building, replacing Artis’s own corporate logo that had been there for the past few years.

But Frank Sherlock, executive vice-president of property management at Artis, said the company is glad to take its logo down in favour of TD.

"We have a new anchor tenant and building naming was part of the deal," he said. "We gave up our signs up top, but we’re happy to do that."

TD Bank is moving its main downtown branch from across the street at 201 Portage Ave. — a building that also used to feature the TD logo — to the concourse level of 360 Main St. It’s also moving its entire corporate banking and wealth management business into the building.

With a downtown corporate tenant shuffle underway caused by the upcoming completion of True North Square’s commercial building, TD jumped at the chance to take space in the newly refurbished 360 Main St.

Scotiabank, which has said it will be one of the anchor tenants at True North, will continue to have its Portage and Main branch in a building adjacent to 360 Main St., at the southwest corner of Portage and Main.

In addition to a new 5,000-square-foot-plus TD branch in the Winnipeg Square concourse opening today, about a month ago, TD also moved into 31,000 square feet on two floors in the tower.

Simon Hong, TD’s district vice-president for branch banking in Manitoba, said, "About a year ago, we had the opportunity to move locations and explore the feasibility of moving all of our downtown business — commercial banking and wealth management — not just the branch. After we looked into various factors involved in decisions such as this, it made a lot of sense for us to go ahead."

Even though Hong has only been in Winnipeg for a year, after a seven-year stint in North Carolina with TD’s U.S. operations, he’s aware there are still some people here who refer to 201 Portage Ave. as the TD building, its original name when it was completed in 1990.

That building has had a few other naming iterations over the years — for many years, it was called the Canwest building — and one of the reasons TD may have moved across the street to 360 Main St. is that for the past couple of years, 201 Portage Ave. has featured the logo of Canadian banking competitor RBC atop the building.

RBC has its main downtown branch at 220 Portage Ave., the building that now also houses Artis REIT’s head office.

Sherlock said the completion of the new glass curtain wall at 360 Main St. effectively makes it a new building.

"The skin is a major component of the building," Sherlock said. "It was the last piece of the puzzle. Everything else in that building has been replaced — the electrical, the heating, cooling, fire alarm, the lighting system. Now, it really is a new building. The cladding is expensive, but it had to be done. It will last 50 years."

The TD signage at top may or may not last 50 years, but for now, Hong said, it looks good for the bank in Winnipeg.

"It’s really important for us to have the TD shield reappear on the Winnipeg skyline," Hong said.

"It shows our customers and employees that TD is committed and we will continue to invest in the city of Winnipeg."

martin.cash@freepress.mb.ca

Read more by Martin Cash.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...l#&gid=1&pid=1

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 6:14 PM

^ I walked by the new TD branch over the noon hour today, it looks great. The banks have upped their game after designing some truly pathetic looking branches in Winnipeg through the 90s and 00s. I'm looking at you, RBC Manitoba Hydro Place location.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEli View Post
Have the lane closure requirements been revealed for this build? I was assuming this would only close one WB lane on Graham at most, given that True North Square rarely closed any lanes on Graham. With how poorly Transit is able to manage any constriction of their main east-west downtown bus route, I should start training to replace my bus commute with my bike now if a full Graham closure is required.
I'm not sure 1 lane is enough. Probably more. TNS had a whole site to store materials... Artis doesn't. That's the roof of their mall and can only handle so much, and certainly no trucks driving in and out. Considering the size of the project, 2 for sure is my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ from what I understand, they are working on the structure of the 4-storey area between the towers first, and that will be what we see rising up initially. I don't know if that area needs the use of a tower crane, so it may mean that the first crane(s) will be smaller ones to do that work.
While I'm sure they've got strong leads on tenants for the tower base, they obviously don't deal in lease commitments 2 years in advance for apartment users. From what I understand, they might have leases in place for the centre portion so that obviously has a strict timeline.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:58 PM

The buses only need two lanes if you close off that alley between Graham and Main. Can that be done?

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 9:05 PM

My bets. Close the curb lane of Graham and on Fort. The use the driveway off Main to load/unload stuff. Parkade access from Fort still.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
The buses only need two lanes if you close off that alley between Graham and Main. Can that be done?
true.

I can see them shutting down graham to all cars (not buses), as the can basically just go to st mary's
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
My bets. Close the curb lane of Graham and on Fort. The use the driveway off Main to load/unload stuff. Parkade access from Fort still.
I'm sure they're using Fort a decent amount already and that's still not enough as it gets broken up for parkade/loading access to the entire complex. And while the drive off main clearly handles cars, it still is, I think, above the concourse, so who knows how many materials it could handle. Obviously it would be used for lighter stuff. The more of graham they get, the better.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
The new TD branch looks pretty spiffy!

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 10:20 PM

Some kind of framing is being done around where the new tower elevator shaft will be:

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
The new TD branch looks pretty spiffy!
Plus you get lemonade, iced tea, and Dad's cookies.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 2:38 AM

Really like how they treated the corner – opens that area up a bit, which is nice with the mall entrance there as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan