HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 2:27 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Here is the link:

See reports #3,4, and 5
http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...onId=&InitUrl=

The previous link did not work. (Part of it was cut off)
If you hover on the link, you should see the full link in the status bar. (Not the 3 dots) The previous had 3 dots in the link name.
I copied it off my CPTDB post, maybe thats why

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 3:49 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Nice! Thanks guys!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 12:11 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Hmm, I was on the 18 North Main Jefferson today going home. I got on the bus just after 4, and I noticed how unusually empty it was (along with other buses based on observation alone).

Could it be perhaps because of the Ex that's going on right now?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 1:44 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Hmm, I was on the 18 North Main Jefferson today going home. I got on the bus just after 4, and I noticed how unusually empty it was (along with other buses based on observation alone).

Could it be perhaps because of the Ex that's going on right now?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 2:56 AM

Alot of transit news in the next public works meeting.
- Extending routes 87 and 92 from Kildonan Place to Crossroads Station
- Changes to routes 18 and 38 (laid over from the last meeting)
- Changes to the sale of Winnipeg Transit Fare products (with the new Fare Collection System)
- Safety Strategay for Bus Operators and Passengers

- Changes to Route 99 adding a second leg from Harkness Station to Misericordia Hospital (via Wellington Cres)

And the big one:

- Reinstate late night service on route 60 to the end of service (1:30 am Weekdays/Sat and 12:30 on Sundays)

Reports 4-8

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 4:18 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Alot of transit news in the next public works meeting.
- Extending routes 87 and 92 from Kildonan Place to Crossroads Station
- Changes to routes 18 and 38 (laid over from the last meeting)
- Changes to the sale of Winnipeg Transit Fare products (with the new Fare Collection System)
- Safety Strategay for Bus Operators and Passengers

- Changes to Route 99 adding a second leg from Harkness Station to Misericordia Hospital (via Wellington Cres)

And the big one:

- Reinstate late night service on route 60 to the end of service (1:30 am Weekdays/Sat and 12:30 on Sundays)

Reports 4-8
Now these I wasn't aware of, thanks for posting! I guess the SWRTC has freed up buse's for service expansion, such as Route 18 and 44 for example. Surprised there STILL isn't a Waverley West feeder...

Anyways, In the history section, they gave the first public view of Rapid Transit success:

Quote:
The largest service change in Winnipeg Transit’s history was implemented in conjunction with
the opening of the Southwest Transitway on April 8, 2012. In total, the routings and schedules
of 18 routes (13 of which operate on the transitway) were affected.
Given the magnitude of the changes, the implementation of the transitway service has gone in
well. During the first two weeks, transit staff were assigned to the rapid transit stations, to
Osborne Junction, and in the downtown to assist passengers with the new service. Most
passengers adjusted to the service within a few days.

With only the spring’s seasonal experience to date, it is not yet possible to draw any firm
conclusions on ridership levels. For changes of this magnitude, it can take up to a year for
ridership to grow and stabilize. While high passenger loads have been observed on many rapid
transit buses to date, ridership will be monitored closely on an ongoing basis. Adjustments to
service will continue to be made during the first year of operation as more operating experience
is gained and as ridership levels become more established.
Seems rt is a hit!!!

Also:

Quote:
2. The Route 99 service currently operates north-south through the central part of
downtown via Smith/King and Princess/Donald during the 6:00 am – 7:00 pm time period
on weekdays and Saturdays only. The service does not operate in the evening or on
Sundays. Two major complaints have been received about Route 99. First of all, the
absence of evening and Sunday service requires residents who live near Smith or
Donald to walk a lengthy distance to one of Graham Avenue, Osborne Street or Main
Street to access service. Secondly, Route 99 provides no access from the residential
areas near Smith/Donald to the section of Pembina Highway between Osborne Junction
and Jubilee Avenue.
Dont forget, Osborne Village is a hub of pedestrian and transit activity. If there was service at night, ridership would rise. Right now when I travel the 99, I only counted 5 passengers at the most, on one mid-day trip. Definitely a profitable route

Good thing we have Bill Menzies at Winnipeg Transit!

However, Route 160 is usually empty later at night. Is it possible to put the 160 terminus at Pembina/Windemere, and let Route 60 take over after 11pm? Then, it'd be a short walk from Route 29/84/86 stops, hopefully filling up the bus. Might make RT look shorter, but honestly, I've only seen 170 at least half-full of people after 11pm when I only see myself and the driver on the 160 late at night.

Route 87/92 would be pretty awesome to have! Revenues might offset any changes, possibly offset Route 44's extended service.

Last edited by armorand93; Jun 29, 2012 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 5:32 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Now these I wasn't aware of, thanks for posting! I guess the SWRTC has freed up buse's for service expansion, such as Route 18 and 44 for example. Surprised there STILL isn't a Waverley West feeder...

Anyways, In the history section, they gave the first public view of Rapid Transit success:

Seems rt is a hit!!!

Also:

Dont forget, Osborne Village is a hub of pedestrian and transit activity. If there was service at night, ridership would rise. Right now when I travel the 99, I only counted 5 passengers at the most, on one mid-day trip. Definitely a profitable route

Good thing we have Bill Menzies at Winnipeg Transit!

However, Route 160 is usually empty later at night. Is it possible to put the 160 terminus at Pembina/Windemere, and let Route 60 take over after 11pm? Then, it'd be a short walk from Route 29/84/86 stops, hopefully filling up the bus. Might make RT look shorter, but honestly, I've only seen 170 at least half-full of people after 11pm when I only see myself and the driver on the 160 late at night.

Route 87/92 would be pretty awesome to have! Revenues might offset any changes, possibly offset Route 44's extended service.
Come September when the fall classes at the UofM starts, it's going to be bustling at the stations.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 2:01 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Come September when the fall classes at the UofM starts, it's going to be bustling at the stations.
I can definitely believe that!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 4:36 AM

City considers transit cops
Current staff can't detain offenders

By: Bartley Kives

Posted: 1:00 AM | Comments: 14 (including replies)

WINNIPEG Transit has been asked to figure out whether it can expand the role of its inspectors to provide more security for bus drivers and passengers.

Council's public works committee voted Tuesday to hold off on approving a report about safety on buses until transit officials explore the idea of granting more power to 13 supervisors who currently have the task of responding to incidents on buses.

In effect, the city is being asked to consider creating transit cops.

The committee asked transit in April to develop a strategy to keep drivers and passengers safe in light of concerns about the number of assaults against bus drivers. An average of 63 assaults have been recorded every year since 2009, when the city began including incidents in which drivers were threatened or spat upon, said Winnipeg Transit director Dave Wardrop.

In response, Winnipeg Transit recommended changing camera angles on buses to better capture incidents of assaults against drivers.

On-board surveillance cameras do not record the bus driver's compartment, which means cameras may miss some assaults.

As a result, the public works committee -- councillors Dan Vandal (St. Boniface), Jenny Gerbasi (Fort Rouge), Brian Mayes (St. Vital) and Devi Sharma (Old Kildonan) voted to set aside the bus-security report until October and asked transit to speak with WAPSO.

Hiring enough inspectors to cover all of transit's operating hours may cost more than $400,000 in staff and vehicle costs, Wardrop said.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...161318375.html

I personally think we should have this...and I've talked to a good couple Transit Inspectors and Operators that agree.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 7:34 AM

Just wondering what you guys think about a universal buss pass for post secondary students in Winnipeg. I know it works fine in many other cities including Ottawa, and Brandon has recently implemented a 15$ U-Pass.

Do you think this could work in Winnipeg?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 3:24 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodette View Post
Just wondering what you guys think about a universal buss pass for post secondary students in Winnipeg. I know it works fine in many other cities including Ottawa, and Brandon has recently implemented a 15$ U-Pass.

A mandatory bus pass for Winnipeg university/college students would probably result in rioting in the streets.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodette View Post

IIRC (and I was in university at the time), Winnipeg Transit initially wanted to introduce bus passes for all post secondary students for a lower fee but stipulated that all university students would have to pay the fee regardless if they rode the bus or not. UMSU didn't agree with that so instead they introduced the psot-secondary student monthly pass which is cheaper than a regular pass but obviously much more than would have been charged if it was a fee to every student.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 9:58 PM

It is not hard to see that U of M has invested significantly in surface parking. Due to demand that exceeds availabilty they can charge a premium for parking passes and keep demand for hourly and daily parking high. This brings in relatively easy revenue. Any change from that status quo would need to be at least as strong a benefit to the school to gain their support.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 10:42 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
A mandatory bus pass for Winnipeg university/college students would probably result in rioting in the streets.
Aren't most university students technically left of centre? Pretty sure it wont cause rioting...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 10:58 PM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay's U-Pass is $75 for the year, and while a small number of university students are really opposed to it and complain incessantly about it, most of them make good use of it.

University student unions are insanely corrupt organizations. Lakehead's is constantly being accused of electoral fraud when it holds elections for its members.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 2:12 AM

i pay 300$ for my pass in Ottawa from september to may which is quite a bargain considering a month pass for an adult is like 85$ i believe, most students support it

"I feel like I've been living in a city with no children in it, a garden left for ruin by a millionaire inside of a private prison"

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Thunder Bay's U-Pass is $75 for the year, and while a small number of university students are really opposed to it and complain incessantly about it, most of them make good use of it.

University student unions are insanely corrupt organizations. Lakehead's is constantly being accused of electoral fraud when it holds elections for its members.

whoa thats insane!

for the year?

I would personally use something like that, even though I wouldn't be happy about it initially, I would use it simply because I would want to make use of it.

I know tons of U of W and USB students who make good use of the gym either because its included or severely discounted for student use, simply because they don't want to "waste it"

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 3:53 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

Oh wow.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 4:30 PM

haha no way, CUSA my student council has spent over 200,000$ on legal fees the last year to cover the legal issues they have internally created because they are insane power hungry undergrads,

university student government is more corrupt then Turkmenistan

"I feel like I've been living in a city with no children in it, a garden left for ruin by a millionaire inside of a private prison"

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 10:38 PM
I am a typical

University student unions make Iran look like a well-oiled Democracy Machine. I think it took 5 or 6 elections last fall before LUSU got a valid result from it.

The $75 U-Pass here is simply a green dot on everyone's student ID. You simply show the driver that you have a valid university or college ID, and they let you on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan