HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 11:03 AM

Here's the promotional video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNs83wpZqwg

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 11:03 AM

Here's the promotional video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNs83wpZqwg

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 11:07 AM

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 2:01 PM

nice looking buildings there... awesome.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ Those look really nice. Though we should be honest with ourselves: the greenery depicted in highrise renderings never looks like that in the real built environment. Still, that's a nice cluster developing there.
Do you mean honest or hopeless? We'll see. Trees don't grow overnight. It takes patience.

We've got no choice but keep on trying here, for we have no significant green belt, and heat waves will occur more and more frequently.

In other words, if we don't manage to make more plants grow on façades, people will die from heat in summer here.

It's a proven fact, greenery helps the place to cool down at night in case of heat wave, while tar seizes heat when it's exposed to the sun, and releases at night.
It is hellish when you won't submit to widespread air conditioners all over the place.

This is no tropical place, huh. We've got to find a different way to cool it down.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 1:08 PM

3 ongoing construction sites in one shot from the 38th floor of the EDF tower in la Défense.

By the way, that would be called a 39th floor by US custom.
But here, a ground floor is never taken into account in floor count.
Just a tiny difference in customs here and a fun fact detail.

So you can see the old Aurore tower being refurbished.
They're addind 6 floors to it. Nothing much, but the structure that they're retaining couldn't stand any more additional floor.
So this will be optimal given the properties of the 1970 structure.

Then you get a view of Saint-Gobain and Alto closer to completion behind.

Phone pictures from Nicolas Ambrosioni's Twitter.

I didn't follow the story, but the Saint-Gobain site would've been facing technical difficulties.
That tower might end up disappointing. We expected something better from the company specialized in building materials.
They didn't even design the façade materials themselves, like their own products would be too pricey for their own corporation and needs.
Whatever.

Otherwise, everything is fine when it comes to Alto. It'll be a pretty neat building.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 6:02 PM

I guess ZeusUpsistos is the kind of dude everyone enjoys on these forums.
He doesn't make it verbose, being apparently wise thus neutral, he only takes cool pictures, so here are some by him in the older fabric of the 17th arrondissment.

I like these a lot cause it feels refreshing and good quality.

Another recent thing.

That's just about perfect in that setting, doesn't even need to be any taller.

Now below is something old-fashioned, like some wealthier improved Victorian stuff I never even noticed, that they just refurbished.

That's one's funny garish rain gutters.

I got to say, I wouldn't really like to have these on the building I live in, but whatever, it's funny.

It's called Hôtel Gaillard. Seems that was or still is a building of the Banque de France, that was like the US Federal Reserve before the European Central Bank took over long ago.
It is to be called 'cité de l'économie', maybe something meant for meetings related to business.
I'll see about that later.

Source: ZeusUpsistos on pss-archi.eu's 17th arrondissement thread.

That's it for now.

Edit: more info about that thing called Cité de l'économie et de la monnaie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cit%C3..._de_la_monnaie

I simply didn't know this thing existed.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:27 AM
クラブトクヨ

Nice updates!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 12:00 AM

Another new tower for La Défense :

Architect : BIG (Bjarke Ingels)
Height : 660FT+

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2182832
Pics by ZeusUpsistos

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 10:23 AM

^ This came out of nowhere. It wasn't expected, was it?
It is to replace this 1986 lowrise.

https://defense-92.fr/

It's always been obvious that some towers could use the footprints of those lowrises over this Michelet neighborhood, so this is good news.

However, something residential and just as big would've been better to finally enhance some mixed-use feel over the district.
This project alone will add some 100,000 m² of offices to it. Lol, that's a bit too much in the end.

They claim some residential buildings will be built over that same area sometime later.
Wait... Ah, there you go; these for instance would be good to begin with.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1979048

Hopefully the local administration is still thinking about these.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 9:50 AM

Yesterday, on a helicopter bringing me to Le Bourget Airport :

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...588598&page=85

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 12:02 PM

Cool. How's the Air Show this year? I won't go this time, just heard of funny featured gadgets like so called autonomous air taxis. You know, basically autonomous drones carrying a couple of passengers at most, pretty much like a helicopter does, precisely.
The concept feels sort of innovative in that these new things are closer to flying cars, so to speak. They would be more convenient for frequent/daily use, just like cars.

So they say the technology's already there to develop these drones for the general public; of course the problem would be the total lack of infrastructure to host that kind of vehicles.
That reminded me that la Défense was supposedly originally planned as though there would be flying personal vehicles in the future... No kidding, I actually once saw a document online that claimed it was designed for helicopters all over.
That could make sense someday after all, if you're optimistic.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 6:55 PM

Question Overview of Paris Area Construction/Development

Hello everyone,

Let me know if there is a better place to post this. My wife and I are looking to move to Paris (she is French and i am American) and I was hoping to ask a few questions about development and construction in the Paris area. I have worked at 2 general contractors and am currently an owner's rep and would be looking to do something similar. I appreciate any answers and I look forward to following more updates in the area.

- What are some of the coolest and/or largest projects going on right now?

- When something is proposed, how likely is it to happen (relative to large US cities)? One example I saw is Hermitage Plaza. If something had been approved that long ago in Chicago it would 100% be dead, whereas I saw articles from a few years ago that talked about it still.

- What is the general climate like for development and construction? Many US cities are going through a major boom, is this the case in Paris (and surrounding areas)? Are things slowing down some?

- Who are the biggest name developers there? Are there any major differences between developing there versus the US?

- What is the barrier to entry for a single person to do a development in both the city and surrounding areas?

- Who are the largest property owners? Is it usually large companies or individuals?

- How strict are the construction laws? What are some of the trickiest obstacles to construction? Nimbys, historic rules, environmental laws, approval processes, etc?

- What areas of the metro area have the most development and/or brightest future for development?

Thank you to anyone who can help answer these questions for me!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 8:00 PM

What's the pedestrian experience like at LaDefence? It looks like a jangled mess with lots of barriers at that level. Stunning skyscrapers, though.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 11:15 AM

Hi. I'm no pro of the sector at all, but generally speaking, the local environment seems rather favorable to development, simply because it meets pretty all circumstances / requirements to be so. Especially housing shortage. Central Paris recently hit an average of €10k per square meter, something like US$ 1,000 per square foot, so yes, I assume you could find interesting opportunities in related businesses locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJ View Post
- What are some of the coolest and/or largest projects going on right now?
Within the inner city, I would say Paris-Rive-Gauche (a large bit of the 13th arronidissement) and Clichy-Batignolles (17th) have been the largest master plans currently implemented. These are called "eco-friendly" developments, that means they are designed to comply with local environmental regulations.

You'll find some bits of info in these threads.

Rive-Gauche : http://www.pss-archi.eu/forum/viewto...738837#p738837

Clichy-Batignolles : http://www.pss-archi.eu/forum/viewto...736884#p736884

These larger are designed in a contemporary fashion. There is some good, some average and some not so good. Overall, they feel quite friendly and urban, thus fairly satisfying.

Quote:
- When something is proposed, how likely is it to happen (relative to large US cities)? One example I saw is Hermitage Plaza. If something had been approved that long ago in Chicago it would 100% be dead, whereas I saw articles from a few years ago that talked about it still.
This project may have unleashed the dumbest passions because it is really tall and would dominate the skyline of the west side of the metro area.
We don't know whether it'll actually be built or not. There's something sure, the developer in charge of it already spent some €200 million in it, so he is unlikely to give up.
That's a very symbolic project, still a single one. It's actually good to have it so the enraged NIMBYs are kept focused on that one thing, then other high-rise projects go more unnoticed and go through regulations more easily.

Quote:
- Who are the biggest name developers there? Are there any major differences between developing there versus the US?
Vinci and Bouygues, some of the biggest construction corporations in the world are also sizable developers.
Some banking companies such as BNP Paribas are widely involved as well.
There's a whole lot of them; the local market is very open to competition.
Some regulations may be demanding. Environmental ones in particular.
Some may be completely silly, like the fact that all bathrooms are supposed to accommodate the disabled, which is a waste of room to most people.
Other than that, it must roughly be similar to your country's market.

Quote:
- Who are the largest property owners? Is it usually large companies or individuals?
Some large companies AND ultra wealthy individuals own large properties here.
Municipalities that are in charge of their affordable housing policies can also own fairly large bits of properties for that purpose.

Quote:
- How strict are the construction laws? What are some of the trickiest obstacles to construction? Nimbys, historic rules, environmental laws, approval processes, etc?
Again, things have to be safe and more and more environmentally-friendly... That's about it, but of course, it actually means a whole lot of constraints.
You'd have to take a look at related regulations in detail to get a better accurate idea. If anything seemed nonsensical to you because of some laughable gross red tape or anything of that kind, keep in mind that the law may eventually be changed.
The current national administration is rather pro-business, trying to make entrepreneurs feel as comfortable as it reasonably is to the French population, so they can get their job done more effectively.
That's the kind of mindset that prevails for now.

Quote:
- What areas of the metro area have the most development and/or brightest future for development?
Definitely the inner suburbs, up to Seine-Saint-Denis where there are significant projects.

If you're really interested, you'll have to look for information way beyond these forums, especially regarding arrangements related to local regulations.
It'd be better if you got in touch with some professionals of your sector around here. You won't necessarily have to be fluent in French, since most of us can handle some English.
That's about it. Bon courage, mister.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:36 PM

mousquet, thank you for your reply! This is very helpful. Ill definitely look into the projects and regulations you brought up. I do have a few more questions if you would be willing to answer:

Do you know of other resources (forums, newsletters, etc) that I could learn about Paris development?

In real estate and/or construction would I be able to work in English or is my best bet to be professionally proficient in French? (im working on it)

How has development changed with the Olympics coming up?

How does the real estate market usually do in a recession? In the US some prices cratered but I imagine Paris real estate will always hold a certain value.

Thanks again!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 11:40 AM

Local professionals have their usual sources of information, but they are French-speaking.
These are reliable, meant for people professionally involved and often quoted.

Business Immo specializes in real estate proper: https://www.businessimmo.com/

Le Moniteur seems to be an unavoidable bible to our architects : https://www.lemoniteur.fr/

And I think Batiactu is more about construction engineering, but it's definitely interesting to follow for developers and real estate pros : https://www.batiactu.com/

Unlike the non-specialized media, none of these would bother you or waste your time with any politics whatsoever; they only focus on their business.
It would be hard to read if you're not familiar with the language specialized in your field yet, but would help you grow really fluent and good at French.

Things like below can also be useful, so you can see local products currently for sale.

https://www.logic-immo.com/annonces-...-75-100_1.html

Finally, you should take a look at the site of Société du Grand Paris, a public agency in charge of developing local infrastructures.

https://www.societedugrandparis.fr/sgp

There you'll find information about various sites currently developed or planned. How they would be served by transit infrastructures in particular.
For instance, since you've mentioned the 2024 Olympics, something like Saint-Denis Pleyel is a significant latest site.

https://plainecommune.fr/pleyel/

That's where they're planning their Olympic Village, a good opportunity for further improvements in Saint-Denis, a municipality neighboring Central Paris to the north, in need of gentrification.

As for languages, generally speaking, the French are a little shy when it comes to speaking English. More so than say North Europeans (the Dutch, Germans, Scandinavians...) whose grammars are somewhat closer to that of English than ours, so it feels more natural to them.
However, of course we've all learned about it. It is simply required no matter what one's occupation may be. So I guess they would speak English (or Franglish for fun) to you, the time for you to learn French.
I've seen some Americans and Asian folks in business in a couple of fields (banking and telecommunications) over the Paris region, who couldn't speak French. That was no real problem for them, at least at work.
Obviously it is better to know some French to socialize, but the most important is to feel comfortable at work in the first place.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:42 PM

Here's a much appreciated recap of what's going on at la Défense.

Diagrams are drawn for the site by a local whose username is ERIC.

I'm a bit confused by the top floors of Sisters and Link that seem beyond 200 m, while it might unfortunately not be the case in real life.
Because of a safety regulation that they call ITGH (immeuble de très grande hauteur, say very tall building) that would involve overheads for tenants of a tower.
Now la Défense is sort of like Brooklyn, no real prime location yet, unlike things like Manhattan or Central Paris proper. So developers have been reluctant to go beyond that ITGH threshold at la Défense.
For now, only Hermitage Plaza is supposed to make it (if ever actually built), thanks to its desirable location along the Seine river, close by Neuilly-sur-Seine that's an affluent suburb.

These diagrams look accurate otherwise. The heights of the Link and Sisters must be correct, but they include their crowns.
Top floors are probably at 200 m, very precisely. Not beyond, so that annoying ITGH regulation isn't into effect.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 7:34 PM

Nanterre turning a brand new contemporary town.

The fat white thing is Racing 92's rugby arena recently built.

They're not good this season anyway. And the 2nd Parisian team of the French top rugby league, Stade Français is doing even worse.

Pictures from cranes by Vincent.

Sooner or later, there'll be skyscrapers. The high-rise cluster of la Défense nearby will have to be extended there, once it's built-up and really dense.
That's where Vinci's building their new headquarters.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 10:36 PM

Happy new year, everyone.
Take care of your health and make money if you get any opportunity to do so...
I guess that's the best one can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I spent the afternoon in this thing today. It won't teach you about anything new if you've got any college-education in economics. It is nonetheless well designed and interesting.
There are digital devices designed as toys in every single room, so even kids are kept entertained in there. They can play being the government, traders, entrepreneurs, shareholders and so on. There is plenty of funny machines to amuse them, that's quite a smart feature to such a venue entirely dedicated to economics education.

They've got an interesting collection of historic coins and banknotes in their treasury section. Some are from ancient Greece (back to the 5th century BC) and Rome. Even from barbaric ancient Gauls and Celtic areas, while they weren't so advanced (you can easily see by their coins, compared to the Greek and Roman ones). I was astonished at this collection.

The large neo-gothic mansion itself is impressive. It was built from 1878 to 82, with some Art Deco extension from the 1920s. Built by a French-Swiss banker from Grenoble. The wealthy guy was fascinated by medieval and Renaissance art, so the mansion interiors are fitted with madly ornamented woodwork from the 16th century, along with all the contemporary screens, machines and gear to enlighten visitors about economics.

It's worth a visit, but you should take at least 4 hours to make it. There is a lot of contents.
Everything is available in English and Spanish, beside French.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations