HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
belleville had a synagogue when i lived there in 92-94, coming from BC i was surprised to see one in a small town, I don't think i've seen one outside of Vancouver in BC
Owen Sound has one, much to my surprise.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 7:58 PM

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:03 PM

Coquitlam has a visible Korean enclave and is said to be a popular choice for them to live. Also has a fairly visibly Iranian community. "downtown" coquitlam has mainly Korean or Iranian businesses.

north road has a few korean shopping centres and is often referred to as korea town

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Interesting that some Canadian big cities attract Americans interested in ethnic cuisine.

I'm actually surprised how common it is for some Americans to visit the largest Canadian city for cultural amenities not present in their hometowns, where the closest big city happens to be a Canadian one.
I'd be curious how much that happens with Buffalo and Toronto. Though Buffalo has a sizable Polish community, I wonder how much people there would travel to Toronto for other ethnic cuisine/amenities, particularly considering Toronto is much closer than NYC.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:15 PM

Vancouver attracts a lot of chinese from washington state, mainly seattle. The summer night markets are a big draw for daytrippers. Seattle attracts a lot of Canadian filipinos cause there is a jollibee there.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Ive noticed the Markham side is more old money-ish.and secular (or "kosher on passover" conservative types. Similar to Forest Hill South. Now I realize why.
Quote:
I wasn't thinking of the precise dates of construction so much as the way it fits into the pecking order of the rich and famous. It's the nouveau riche inner suburb immediately to the west of the old-money WASP suburb, much as Forest Hill is to Rosedale.
It's funny that Forest Hill has been referred to as both "old money" and "nouveau riche" in this thread.

Last edited by Docere; Jan 14, 2018 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ There still is a fairly significant Jewish community in Winnipeg. In recent years there have even been a good number of recent arrivals from the usual places (Russia by way of Israel, South America) to bolster the numbers. Of course, the population is dwarfed by Ontario and Quebec's totals, but in terms of sheer numbers it's about the same amount that there is in BC and Alberta.
Interesting stuff.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ There still is a fairly significant Jewish community in Winnipeg. In recent years there have even been a good number of recent arrivals from the usual places (Russia by way of Israel, South America) to bolster the numbers. Of course, the population is dwarfed by Ontario and Quebec's totals, but in terms of sheer numbers it's about the same amount that there is in BC and Alberta.
Vancouver now has the third Jewish population in Canada (around 25,000) but it wasn't a big center of Jewish immigration a century ago and its Jewish population is more assimilated and geographically dispersed.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:57 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Vancouver now has the third Jewish population in Canada (around 25,000) but it wasn't a big center of Jewish immigration a century ago and its Jewish population is more assimilated and geographically dispersed.
And they're all from Winnipeg originally anyway.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
coming from BC i was surprised to see one in a small town, I don't think i've seen one outside of Vancouver in BC
Quote:
I'm surprised the oldest one in Canada is so far west, considering the geography of immigration.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
they speak a weird version of german, its kinda like germglish or something its like half german half english.
Does the German spoken in western Canadian communities have any relation with the "Pennsylvanian Dutch" German or other variety of immigrant-brought German in North America?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Jewish concentrations in Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg:

Toronto:

Thornhill (Vaughan) 46,175 39.6%
Bathurst Corridor - Sheppard/Steeles 18,750 21.2%
Forest Hill/Cedarvale 14,165 31.3%
Richmond Hill 11,735 6.4%
Thornhill (Markham) 7,185 15%
York Mills 5,990 20.5%
Annex/Yorkville 3,520 12.8%

Montreal:

Cote St. Luc 19,395 62.1%
Dollard 8,335 17%
Ville St. Laurent 7,060 7.7%
NDG/Montreal Ouest 5,585 7.9%
Hampstead 5,375 75.2%
Snowdon 5,355 18.3%
Cote de Nieges 5,335 8%
Outremont 4,610 20.1%
Westmount 4,485 23.2%

Winnipeg:

Tuxedo 2,990 14.7%
River Heights 2,510 11.5%
Crescentwood/Fort Rouge 1,305 5.1%
Garden City 1,110 3.8%

http://www.jewishdatabank.org/Studies/canada.cfm
Re: The Bathurst Corridor being only 21.2%

My gut feeling is the numbers are watered down by apartment buildings and new condos concentrated on the main commercial strips. The more established single family home side streets are still very Jewish.

I looked at a new construction basement suite rental in the area (just one block south of Lawrence) and 80% of the families I saw at the nearby park were Orthodox.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Re: The Bathurst Corridor being only 21.2%

My gut feeling is the numbers are watered down by apartment buildings and new condos concentrated on the main commercial strips. The more established single family home side streets are still very Jewish.

I looked at a new construction basement suite rental in the area (just one block south of Lawrence) and 80% of the families I saw at the nearby park were Orthodox.
That's Sheppard to Steeles only, between Dufferin and Yonge. Closer to Yonge is less Jewish and maybe some Russian Jews aren't being counted as well.

Unfortuantely there isn't a breakdown for the Bathurst-Lawrence area in that report. But the 2 CTs south of Lawrence are 60% Jewish by religion and the Jewish population in that pocket is overwhelmingly Orthodox.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
It hurt the neighbourhood a bit, but it’s actually doing just fine with lots of new restaurants and cafes opening recently. Obviously with fewer Italians moving here from the old country, there’s gonna be some changes, just like all of the other ones in North America. The street is alive and well, despite what that article says!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I'd be curious how much that happens with Buffalo and Toronto. Though Buffalo has a sizable Polish community, I wonder how much people there would travel to Toronto for other ethnic cuisine/amenities, particularly considering Toronto is much closer than NYC.
Quote:
Vancouver attracts a lot of chinese from washington state, mainly seattle. The summer night markets are a big draw for daytrippers. Seattle attracts a lot of Canadian filipinos cause there is a jollibee there.
There was some discussion in some previous threads about how cross-border ties between Canada and the US have weakened due to stricter border control. But it seems like from this discussion, it has not stopped many foodies interested in sampling the local ethnic dining options on either side!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Vancouver attracts a lot of chinese from washington state, mainly seattle. The summer night markets are a big draw for daytrippers.
Pacific Mall in Markham, well known in Greater Toronto, is considered to be the largest "indoor Asian mall" in North America (I presume to exclude night markets, like the Richmond Night Market in BC) and has been marketed as a tourist attraction, open on statutory holidays.

But I wonder how often (out of the area) Canadian, or American tourists would drop by and go there (perhaps on their way to Toronto or somewhere else in Ontario), since it's out of the way in a suburban area and is a mall, unlike a night market which would actually be an open festival.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 10:04 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Pacific Mall in Markham, well known in Greater Toronto, is considered to be the largest "indoor Asian mall" in North America (I presume to exclude night markets, like the Richmond Night Market in BC) and has been marketed as a tourist attraction, open on statutory holidays.

But I wonder how often (out of the area) Canadian, or American tourists would drop by and go there (perhaps on their way to Toronto or somewhere else in Ontario), since it's out of the way in a suburban area and is a mall, unlike a night market which would actually be an open festival.
Pacific Mall is a massive destination for East Asians living in neighbouring US states. You always see lots of American plates in the parking lot.

Remember that thread a while back where southern Ontario was characterized as a lawless dystopia due to the comparative preponderance of cash only restaurants along with the phenomenon of tow-truck vultures trawling the 401 looking for accident victims to scam with exorbitant "towing" fees? Well, Pacific Mall is now Exhibit C in this narrative:

Quote:
Pacific Mall in Markham ‘notorious’ for counterfeit goods, says U.S.

The shopping centre was among the 18 brick-and-mortar locations worldwide called “notorious markets” for counterfeiting and piracy in a report from the U.S. Office of the Trade Representative.

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...s-says-us.html
Finding a parking spot requires a combination of patience, luck and skill. Normally takes at least fifteen minutes of cruising around to find someone going back to their car who isn't already being followed by a car who has ipso facto "claimed" the soon-to-be-vacated spot.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

Remember that thread a while back where southern Ontario was characterized as a lawless dystopia due to the comparative preponderance of cash only restaurants along with the phenomenon of tow-truck vultures trawling the 401 looking for accident victims to scam with exorbitant "towing" fees? Well, Pacific Mall is now Exhibit C in this narrative:

Finding a parking spot requires a combination of patience, luck and skill. Normally takes at least fifteen minutes of cruising around to find someone going back to their car who isn't already being followed by a car who has ipso facto "claimed" the soon-to-be-vacated spot.

Makes it sound like the Kowloon Walled City... lol

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 10:29 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Owen Sound has one, much to my surprise.
There used to be small but thriving Jewish communities in almost every significant Canadian town, and they all had their synagogues. They were the main street merchants just about everywhere. The Bronfmans are a good example - they started that way in Morden, Manitoba.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
There used to be small but thriving Jewish communities in almost every significant Canadian town, and they all had their synagogues. They were the main street merchants just about everywhere. The Bronfmans are a good example - they started that way in Morden, Manitoba.
Right, but what's interesting about Owen Sound is that it's still a functioning synagogue:

https://bethezekielcanada.wordpress.com/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 2:55 AM

Quote:
yeah that would be the only other place in BC i would imagine to find one.

I was working at a jewish wedding reception about 7 years ago now at one the synagogues on oak street, I was surprised just how many orthodox jews were there and you do see them if you drive that area on a friday. It was an interesting dinner, the hall was separated into male and female and only females could serve the females and males could serve the males, there was a lot of dancing afterwards but the two sides never mixed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada